Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is a new practice facility that important.

Started by pigture perfect, May 01, 2013, 09:03:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

snortman

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 10, 2013, 09:05:34 am
Exploding into a superpower would've meant not going 0-4 against THE superpower (Alabama), 2-2 against LSU (only could beat them in LR), and 1-3 against both Georgia and Florida, albeit the '09 Florida game was a sham.

The only good SEC teams that Petrino handled were S. Carolina and A&M, with those wins coming pre-Sumlin & Johnny Football, also in a heavily-red Cowboys Stadium.

Petrino's road record in SEC games in four years: 6-10 (.375). Very similar to basketball. Mediocre.

Really, so your comparing SEC football with 6 National Championships in a row and the toughest league by far(not even close ) to SEC Baskestball which is rated at BEST, the 6th best conference in the country, Apples to Oranges ---Not even close in comparison.
Petrino>>>>>>>Anderson.

Anderson couldn't even handle a crappy ass S Carolina or A&M team on the road.

nextlevel

Quote from: snortman on May 10, 2013, 09:57:31 am

Kinda like Petrino not being able to handle Kentucky or Ms. State on the road?

Being blown out in Texas?

Needing Ole Miss and Vandy to choke a way wins in his final season?
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

MikePiazza

Really, so your comparing SEC football with 6 National Championships in a row and the toughest league by far(not even close ) to SEC Baskestball which is rated at BEST, the 6th best conference in the country, Apples to Oranges ---Not even close in comparison.
Petrino>>>>>>>Anderson.

You can defend that deceitful scumbag to the death for all I care.

The facts are that we weren't a exploding superpower. Our best season under Petrino got us a third place finish in our division. Think about that for a second.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

klp1

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 10, 2013, 10:49:42 am

The facts are that we weren't a exploding superpower. Our best season under Petrino got us a third place finish in our division. Think about that for a second.

The irony is that the third place division finishing team was good enough to be ranked 5th in the Nation in the AP's Final Poll

MikePiazza

Quote from: klp1 on May 10, 2013, 11:03:09 am
The irony is that the third place division finishing team was good enough to be ranked 5th in the Nation in the AP's Final Poll

And then the 'Great Deceiver' committed his folly and the NUMBER 10 RANKED AP team crumbled to 4-8.

Your point?

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 09, 2013, 04:48:39 pm
Because they had Barnhill next door at their disposal.  At that time, they didn't forsee that facility getting used for VB and other stuff.

Also, the land that will be used for the practice facility was all apartments.  It was eventually cleared for Bogle Park, The Common's and the rest for development.

On a side note some people wanted to keep those apartments as ugly as they were just because of who the architect was!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawg Balling

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2013, 12:29:50 pm
On a side note some people wanted to keep those apartments as ugly as they were just because of who the architect was!

Are you talking about Carlson Terrace?  Jeebus H, that place was a dump and a half. 

klp1

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 10, 2013, 11:18:08 am
And then the 'Great Deceiver' committed his folly and the NUMBER 10 RANKED AP team crumbled to 4-8.

Your point?

Pay attention to the Word "irony."  You downgrade that team by saying it was only a finished 3rd in its division.  Yet, that team finished ranked number 5 in the Nation for the first time since 1977. 

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on May 10, 2013, 12:29:50 pm

Some cheap rent for grad students. 

snortman

I for one am grateful for what Coach Petrino brought to us true U of A fans. That BSC bowl may be the only one I ever see. He made winning feel good again even though we never could get by Bama,(But who did?).

Anderson on the other hand has been disappointing at best, consisdering all the BS talk about how we would be dancing again and be top 20 again.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Hawg Balling on May 10, 2013, 02:03:11 pm
Are you talking about Carlson Terrace?  Jeebus H, that place was a dump and a half. 

Yep. You are correct. Amazing they were designed by a well known architect Edward Durell Stone. Probably his ugliest and worst design ever!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 10, 2013, 02:48:04 pm
Some cheap rent for grad students. 

Stone also did the U of A Fine Arts building and worked on the old Busch stadium that was demolished not to long ago with the opening of the new Busch Stadium. His most well-known recognized work is the J.F.K. Center for the Performing Arts in Washington D.C. 

Sivad

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 10, 2013, 09:05:34 am

Petrino's road record in SEC games in four years: 6-10 (.375). Very similar to basketball. Mediocre.

Petrino: BCS Sugar Bowl & Cotton Bowl Champion; Top 5 Final Ranking.
Anderson: Can't even make the NIT; Never sniffed a ranking.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Sivad on May 10, 2013, 05:32:12 pm
Petrino: BCS Sugar Bowl & Cotton Bowl Champion; Top 5 Final Ranking.
Anderson: Can't even make the NIT; Never sniffed a ranking.
In year two, Bobby BARELY beat ECU in the Liberty Bowl.  It was a gift from above - or wide left or wide right or something.

870hogfan

Petrino>>>>>>>Anderson.

Petrino is a scum bag that put himself before the program, fans, and the players but yeah keep taking up for him.... Mike Anderson is turning a basketball program around that has been down for more than 10 years.

snortman

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 10, 2013, 06:40:01 pm

Petrino is a scum bag that put himself before the program, fans, and the players but yeah keep taking up for him.... Mike Anderson is turning a basketball program around that has been down for more than 10 years.

What Petrino did was reprehensible, no doubt, but in three years he made U of A football relevant again in the world of college football while Anderson has failed to move the needle. Those are the facts.

MikePiazza

Quote from: snortman on May 10, 2013, 07:32:07 pm
What Petrino did was reprehensible, no doubt, but in three years he made U of A football relevant again in the world of college football while Anderson has failed to move the needle. Those are the facts.

He made us relevant only to be a laughingstock because of his own selfish decisions, thinking he was bigger than the program. He didn't win any championships and wouldn't have.

Hang your hat all you want on that national ranking and Cotton Bowl win, but realize that was the peak. It wouldn't have gotten any better. Just look at history.

Anderson has more class in his little finger than Petrino has in his entire body, and was instrumental in making our basketball program elite for an entire decade.

Downgrade Anderson all you want, but I'll take some mediocre seasons while building over a dumpster fire after four seasons, which is all Petrino's track record is...

Porked Tongue

I like to read the entire book.  One book is closed and the other has chapters left.  Hard conclusions based on comparison's are not prudent.

MikePiazza

I agree, but I like to look at trends, and even though revisionist history says we were trending upward with Petrino, the reality was the talent that left after 2011 was going to be too hard to replace and his recruiting was lazy.

Whereas with Anderson, he has a proven history of his programs trending upward after a year or two, and the bottom won't fall out after year four.

RazorWorld

I recently spoke with a student athlete and was surprised to hear this young man was not going to come to Arkansas until he made a visit and saw our track facilities and our beautiful modern campus. He was impressed with the NWA area and the rolling hills as he described it. He said he fell in love with it and loves it here. He was glad someone told him to make a visit.

The best programs have the best facilities. We must always strive to be ahead not behind on our development. We should have done this for our Basketball program before now.

Sivad

Petrino finished the season ranked #5 in the country.

Sivad

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 10, 2013, 10:01:42 pm
Whereas with Anderson, he has a proven history of his programs trending upward after a year or two, and the bottom won't fall out after year four.
With Anderson, there is no "bottom to fall out"...he has not even coached us to an NIT or even one SEC tourney game win.
He already has us at "rock bottom".

870hogfan

Quote from: Sivad on May 13, 2013, 01:29:54 pm
With Anderson, there is no "bottom to fall out"...he has not even coached us to an NIT or even one SEC tourney game win.
He already has us at "rock bottom".

"Rock Bottom" is Auburn.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Sivad on May 13, 2013, 01:27:58 pm
Petrino finished the season ranked #5 in the country.

Meant a lot after he ran our program into the ground, didn't it?

Rankings mean nothing. You think Saban cares about rankings? All he does is win every game or nearly every game.

Hanging your hat on rankings is for wanna-be programs, and that's what our football program is in the SEC. Always have been, always will be.

CDBHawg

Quote from: MikePiazza on May 14, 2013, 08:18:57 pm
Meant a lot after he ran our program into the ground, didn't it?

Rankings mean nothing. You think Saban cares about rankings? All he does is win every game or nearly every game.

Hanging your hat on rankings is for wanna-be programs, and that's what our football program is in the SEC. Always have been, always will be.

A. Rankings mean something.
B. Saban care about ranking? Of course he does.
C. We are not a wanna-be program. There are many facts to disprove that notion, the main one being common sense.

MikePiazza

Quote from: CDBHawg on May 14, 2013, 09:11:48 pm
C. We are not a wanna-be program. There are many facts to disprove that notion, the main one being common sense.

Point them out, then? Zero SEC titles. One BCS bowl appearance in 15 years, which we *lost. Only one LEGITIMATE trip to Atlanta, where we crapped the bed after getting up on Florida.

Yeah, one top five finish in 21 years as a SEC member. What about that screams exploding superpower? This is who we're behind and facility upgrades aren't going to do anything to change that.

1) Bama
2) LSU
3) Fla
4) A&M (and rising fast)
5) UGA
6) AU
7) Tenn
8) USC-E
9) Ark

We're about the ninth-best program in the SEC. Maybe Bielema changes that, and if he does, I'll be stoked, but history says he probably won't and we'll be right where we've always been.

nextlevel

Quote from: CDBHawg on May 14, 2013, 09:11:48 pm

Can you tell me, without looking it up, who finished 5th the year before and after Arkansas did?

Probably not because only wanna-be programs point to a 5th place finish in the polls as a "glory year", real programs point to conference and National titles. This is true of all sports.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: nextlevel on May 15, 2013, 08:51:34 am
Can you tell me, without looking it up, who finished 5th the year before and after Arkansas did?

Probably not because only wanna-be programs point to a 5th place finish in the polls as a "glory year", real programs point to conference and National titles. This is true of all sports.

Of course, the recruits who were recruited and/or signed by those 5th ranked schools (Ohio State and Texas A&M/Georgia) certainly remember. That matters 100x more than whatever memory 'Joe Fan' from another state can recollect.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

MikePiazza

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on May 15, 2013, 09:31:37 am
Of course, the recruits who were recruited and/or signed by those 5th ranked schools (Ohio State and Texas A&M/Georgia) certainly remember. That matters 100x more than whatever memory 'Joe Fan' from another state can recollect.

Good point. I didn't even mention recruiting. We've always been about ninth in the SEC there as well. Maybe Bielema changes that, too, but it's unlikely.

CDBHawg

Quote from: nextlevel on May 15, 2013, 08:51:34 am

Ohio St. and aTm/UGA.

MikePiazza