Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why is a new practice facility that important.

Started by pigture perfect, May 01, 2013, 09:03:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigture perfect

I'm trying to figure it out. It seems to me, that you want your players practicing on the rims you play the majority of your games on. You should know every live and dead spot on your home court. The only thing I see as a benefit is the recruits think they need one.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

dsims2k3

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2013, 09:03:33 pm
I'm trying to figure it out. It seems to me, that you want your players practicing on the rims you play the majority of your games on. You should know every live and dead spot on your home court. The only thing I see as a benefit is the recruits think they need one.

If thats the question then why is a football operations center needed? We havent been tearin it up there in the league either.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Danny J

That actually might explain why we are so much better at home versus road games and the discrepancy between the two. I don't think that is the only reason but part of it. Practicing in another facility on different rims with different views/atmosphere may help with shooting on the road.

There is also more to it than just a practice facility. Large lounge and hangout spot. Weight room. etc.....

Then there are coaches that use it against us. Claiming since we don't have one we are not serious about basketball. The list goes on and on. We need one...badly. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: dsims2k3 on May 01, 2013, 09:09:02 pm
If thats the question then why is a football operations center needed? We havent been tearin it up there in the league either.

Why did we need a football center? Because Petrino wanted one.

Because the football offices and equipment room were in the bottom levels of the BAC and the renovated weight room, the indoor practice field, and the newly constructed outdoor practice field were about 200 yards away where the staff couldn't exactly get easy access to from their offices and meeting rooms. The student academic areas were in the east side of DWRRS. Petrino wanted it all to be connected for easier observation and coordination efforts.

Not really the best counter question to ask.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

nextlevel

Just because it is called a practice facility, doesn't mean that is the only place they will practice.

The majority of the men's practices would still be in BWA, they would have an alternative venue to practice in when wanted.

Besides the lounge, academic support area, etc that gives the athletes a place to "hang out" which is really a plus in recruiting, it provides a facility where the team can go and practice on their game or play pick up games in their free time, nothing besides the HPER is available for that at this time, everyone else in the SEC has this advantage.

As far as being used for practice, it would benefit the women's program more so than the men's as it would allow the women athletes to practice at "better" times allowing them to have more flexibility in setting up their class schedules, right now that is a huge hurdle for them as their practice time is schedule around the the men's and other events that BWA is used for and then they must set the up their classes to fit with the practice time.

It serves more of a purpose than just a recruiting tool.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Ugly Uncle

A lot of it has to do with practice times.  Women's basketball has to practice as well.  If someone wanted to be a gym rat they would have to work around the different practices and shoot arounds for the ladies.  Then if there were a conflict of being in the gym and working on something and another group were in there you would just have to share.  They really don't want (I assume) for the guys on the team just going into the Hyper and playing pick up games.

Retired Radio Host

pigture perfect

In football, you don't want to tear up the turf. The turf needs to be repainted where the court does not. In football you need more space for positional coaching and instruction. We can't afford to lose anymore parking. We have the Basketball Palace of the Mid-South for goodness sake.

Hey, I'm just asking for a good reason other than that the recruits like it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Porked Tongue

I'll take a shot at this.

It's hard for them to have off season pickup games that are private.  As it is, they share the arena with the girls and at times other groups use the arena.  Example of outside usage include Wal-Mart shareholders(5 days) and local high school graduations(Bentonville, Har-Ber, Springdale, Fayetteville) all use the arena.

The players just can only use the facilities at certain times(rules) and don't carry the keys. 

The only available place on campus is the crowded HYPER arena.  Those floors are used by the entire campus and finding a open court JUST for Hog players is unlikely most days.

Even during season, it's not as easy to go get "extra shots" in at BWA.

At times, they use local high schools, community centers and even a church gym for privacy during pickup games.  But even then, you can get into liablity and other issues.

During season you have to share and stay clear of girls games and their practices which Title IX mandates.

A practice facility will cure a lot of that.  It would have a boys regulation court and a girls regulation court.  The facility would be private and open to the players without all the conflicts that occur as it stands now.

I just hope they don't lose their mind with the cost in an effort to keep up with the SEC schools.

PonderinHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2013, 09:25:05 pm
In football, you don't want to tear up the turf. The turf needs to be repainted where the court does not. In football you need more space for positional coaching and instruction. We can't afford to lose anymore parking. We have the Basketball Palace of the Mid-South for goodness sake.

Hey, I'm just asking for a good reason other than that the recruits like it.
And several good reasons have been provided.

pigture perfect

Thanks Unc. But couldn't they use Old Barnhill.

pigture perfect

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 01, 2013, 09:27:17 pm
And several good reasons have been provided.
Thanks. I was responding when these other guys posted. SO let me digest this and I'll be bck with you.

nextlevel

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2013, 09:27:27 pm

NO! It is being used for Gymnastics and Volleyball.

They took out the goals years ago.
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2013, 09:27:27 pm

No, that is taken up by gymnastics, volleyball and now classes.  With the rise of attendance at the UofA and larger classes and having to have more classes they don't have all the class space they need.  Barnhill is almost always in use.
Retired Radio Host

PonderinHog

Quote from: pigture perfect on May 01, 2013, 09:29:44 pm
Thanks. I was responding when these other guys posted. SO let me digest this and I'll be bck with you.
Don't tell me the responses came at you so fast, they messed you up...

Ugly Uncle

Quote from: nextlevel on May 01, 2013, 09:29:48 pm

Retired Radio Host

Porked Tongue

Quote from: nextlevel on May 01, 2013, 09:29:48 pm

Actually, there are portable goals in there they use for camps.  Otherwise, you're correct.

nextlevel

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2013, 09:33:02 pm
Actually, there are portable goals in there they use for camps.  Otherwise, you're correct.

Well, they do not set these up during the week like they do the portable goals in BWA during this time of year or during practices (if they still do that).

ell oh ell

The_Iceman

pigture perfect

Thanks for some quality answers. I can understand those reasons.

PonderinHog

rude1

It's as simple as all your competitors in the conference that you play in has this for it's players. Hard for a coaching staff to tell players how serious you are about basketball when you are the only program in the conference that doesn't have this for it's players.

The_Iceman

Hog Fan...DOH!

I mean, Fayetteville High School and Ramay Jr. High have dedicated practice gyms.  If local public schools feel like they need practice gyms, I feel like the UofA probably has a need, too. 

dsims2k3

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2013, 09:37:35 pm
Why not?

Beause because fans feel that we are a football school yet have Kentucky standards for a sport they claim to be not committed to.

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2013, 09:48:23 pm
Every other program has been able to afford one.
Look, I'm all for it.  Just wondering what the estimated cost is AND A TIMELINE for completion.  It thought this project was a "go" two years ago.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on May 01, 2013, 09:48:07 pm
It's as simple as all your competitors in the conference that you play in has this for it's players. Hard for a coaching staff to tell players how serious you are about basketball when you are the only program in the conference that doesn't have this for it's players.
And honestly that ^^^^^ is the only response necessary.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on May 01, 2013, 09:56:02 pm
And honestly that ^^^^^ is the only response necessary.
I disagree.  Kinda.

Doing things shouldn't be to keep up, but more to fulfill a need.

But it's great when you can do both at once.

dsims2k3

nextlevel

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 01, 2013, 09:56:01 pm
Look, I'm all for it.  Just wondering what the estimated cost is AND A TIMELINE for completion.

Google the master plan, UA athletics, basketball, etc.

Long was talking about it not too long ago, IIRC from the article the funding is already in place (and has been for a while), but the football operations center has to be completed before they can break ground on the practice facility due to where it will be located and causing other problems on campus, it wasn't clear in the article if the Baseball IPF would start construction before, during, or after the Basketball IPF, it has long been rumored that the baseball IPF had the funding to pay for it in full long before the football operations center plans were ever finalized...

ell oh ell

rude1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2013, 09:58:02 pm
I disagree.  Kinda.

Your need is to keep up or this conference will quickly bury you with the arms race in facilities that is going on. Sure you might be able to do without it, have for years, but how do you combat your competitors pointing out how you don't care about your basketball players and the lack of an investment in a practice facility shows this?

PonderinHog

Quote from: nextlevel on May 01, 2013, 10:00:35 pm

Long was talking about it not too long ago, IIRC from the article the funding is already in place (and has been for a while), but the football operations center has to be completed before they can break ground on the practice facility due to where it will be located and causing other problems on campus, it wasn't clear in the article if the Baseball IPF would start construction before, during, or after the Basketball IPF, it has long been rumored that the baseball IPF had the funding to pay for it in full long before the football operations center plans were ever finalized...
Thanks and that certainly explains the delay.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: rude1 on May 01, 2013, 10:08:03 pm
Your need is to keep up or this conference will quickly bury you with the arms race in facilities that is going on.
Yes.  But building a Taj Mahal is not a necessity.  The need is to have one, make it nice and serve it's purpose.  My point is we don't need it to be the best one ever built.

Porked Tongue

FYI.  I heard the UA is going to help foot the bill to make Razorback Road 4 lanes from the south(Sixth St).  It'll go all the way to DWR and have a divided median if they can work it all out.

That will make it 4 lanes all the way from 540 when coming by way of Baum.

nextlevel

Quote from: rude1 on May 01, 2013, 10:08:03 pm
Your need is to keep up or this conference will quickly bury you with the arms race in facilities that is going on. Sure you might be able to do without it, have for years, but how do you combat your competitors pointing out how you don't care about your basketball players and the lack of an investment in a practice facility shows this?

Google Kentucky Coal Dorms to see where their basketball players (who choose to live on campus) as well as a select few of the general student body (believe there is a height requirement) get to live.

Everything was built to accommodate tall people, longer beds, taller door ways, etc.

Kentucky would be going into an arms race here in an area the rest of the SEC isn't going to go, not for basketball, but if Bama, LSU, Florida added a building for football with jacuzzis, pools, saunas, etc and called it a wet rehab center for football, every school in the SEC would have one within 2 years...

ell oh ell

The_Iceman

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 01, 2013, 09:56:01 pm
Look, I'm all for it.  Just wondering what the estimated cost is AND A TIMELINE for completion.  It thought this project was a "go" two years ago.

The master plan was announced two years ago, but not all the parts were a "go". The football practice facility was #1 on the list.

The next phase was supposed to be the basketball practice facility and the baseball/track indoor addition. Jeff Long said on the radio that they are trying to get this going as soon as the football complex is finished. I'd guess since it is a much easier site to build on, it'll probably take 12 months to complete.

rude1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2013, 10:11:44 pm
Yes.  But building a Taj Mahal is not a necessity.  The need is to have one, make it nice and serve it's purpose.  My point is we don't need it to be the best one ever built.
I agree with this. I don't mean you need to over spend for the biggest and the best, but you do need to have one that is nice.

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 01, 2013, 10:15:03 pm
The master plan was announced two years ago, but not all the parts were a "go". The football practice facility was #1 on the list.

The next phase was supposed to be the basketball practice facility and the baseball/track indoor addition. Jeff Long said on the radio that they are trying to get this going as soon as the football complex is finished. I'd guess since it is a much easier site to build on, it'll probably take 12 months to complete.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about the logistical/timing problem with the football operations center.

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2013, 09:58:02 pm
I disagree.  Kinda.

As a rational thinking adult I agree 100%. You have to remember we are talking about teenagers for the most part and in the case of transfers very young men.

Porked Tongue

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2013, 10:13:33 pm
FYI.  I heard the UA is going to help foot the bill to make Razorback Road 4 lanes from the south(Sixth St).  It'll go all the way to DWR and have a divided median if they can work it all out.

That will make it 4 lanes all the way from 540 when coming by way of Baum.
And that is needed as well. Feel like cattle being herded out of RRS heading south.

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 01, 2013, 10:22:07 pm
But it's adults that are paying for it. :)
And therein lies the rub. Have to convince Warren Stephens and the like to step up. As a matter of fact he was the one making the offer to help fund those facilities if MA was hired. I think we(MA, JL and the donors) all know and understand we need a nice practice facility. Just not been a real priority compared to the football goodies.

HognitiveDissonance

It's 90% unnecessary from a logical standpoint, which frustrates some fans like me.
But unfortunately, it's important from a recruiting standpoint. I get that side of it.
I agree that it's better to practice where you're going to play.
Besides, on the rare occasions where you need to practice elsewhere, you've got the stinkin' HPER bldg right next door, with three full courts!!!!!! You already have a practice facility! Just kick the kids out when you have to use it.

But it'll get done, and will be a good thing. Nobody can use it against you on the recruiting trail after that.

Sivad

PorkiePig

I'll like to take a shot at this.

1. It will put our program on a level recruiting plain.
2. Most important reason: It allows for a player to have unlimited access to practice court.
    - if you have ever tried to study your azz off and needed a library, try finding one that 
      is open 24hrs a day (very tough), throw in one that will allow you to eat/drink,
      unlimited time in a study room (as it can get loud in a library), and unlimited access
      to a computer.  That my friend is a tall order, if you ever really tried looking.   
      Anyways, not everyone will have time to practice/study during regular hours.  I   
      strongly believe a practice facility will give the student athlete an opportunity to
      improve their game, from passing, shooting, to just building team chemistry.  It
      would be a good way to keep the student athlete out of trouble, from roaming around
      looking for a place to play pickup games (you never know when someone will injure
      you or want to pick a fight), less distraction, and less trying to figure out where they
      can practice at 8am, 10am, 12pm, 3pm, 7pm, 10pm 12am, 2am, get the picture? 

I promise you if you ever really tried to get something important accomplished, you really don't want to be limited in the time you can put in work/practice/study!  You would also want access to all the material that would assist you in your goals all in one place, so there is no sense of wondering where you can get it, when you can get it, or how much it will cost you.

There are so many reasons to build one, my question is why has it taken this long to realize the need for one?  Lets give our student athlete what they need to succeed on and off the field!  Hell they make the university millions of dollars, so I definitely don't have a problem re-investing some of the money on the student athlete to help them become event better student athletes. 

And for everyone that wants to go cheap for a quality facility: Ask yourself have you ever purchased a cheap stereo (although it sound ok and did what its built to do)?  Now my question is: did you have to replace it b/c it broke or b/c it was limited in its function (after a year or two you might need that new technology that was too expensive at the time)?  I'm sure many have done this, so why keep making that mistake?  In the end, it will cost more to fix or replace if we go cheap!

;)

Go Big Or Go Home

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: nextlevel on May 01, 2013, 10:00:35 pm

Basketball and Baseball/Track practice facilities could both be built at the same time because of the distance between the two projects.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

-Blu

So what's a reasonable estimation on when the practice facility will be up on running?

Porked Tongue

Quote from: PorkiePig on May 01, 2013, 11:24:35 pm
And for everyone that wants to go cheap for a quality facility: Ask yourself have you ever purchased a cheap stereo (although it sound ok and did what its built to do)?

I don't buy the biggest tv, the best car, the largest steak or the front row seat but I do have nice things.

You can have nice things and be frugal.

nextlevel

Quote from: Porked Tongue on May 02, 2013, 07:38:16 am
You can have nice things and be frugal.

Not when it comes to public/government projects...

ell oh ell

razorhead94

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on May 01, 2013, 10:31:37 pm
It's 90% unnecessary from a logical standpoint, which frustrates some fans like me.
But unfortunately, it's important from a recruiting standpoint. I get that side of it.
I agree that it's better to practice where you're going to play.
Besides, on the rare occasions where you need to practice elsewhere, you've got the stinkin' HPER bldg right next door, with three full courts!!!!!! You already have a practice facility! Just kick the kids out when you have to use it.

But it'll get done, and will be a good thing. Nobody can use it against you on the recruiting trail after that.

You must not go to the HPER much.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs