Previous topic - Next topic

Hogeye_Pierce

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

GuvHog

Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: Tooth on March 28, 2013, 05:46:35 pm
Steve Schall.

This is when I started going to Razorback games. And back then it was pronounced "Steeeeeeeeeve Shhhaaaaaaaaaallll."

Most of our centers (in my memory) have been roll players. Contributers in several categories—rebounds, blocks, etc—but not standouts.

The Big O and Joe Kleine were exceptional. And the most fun to watch. Kleine was a great scorer (SWC Offensive Player of the Year his senior year). I recently met Texas Tech's starting center from those days, and he said Kleine was harder to play against than Akeem, because of his size and strength.

Oliver was amazing in his prime. Not tall but with super long arms. He could really float around the circle, and has been said, he was a fantastic passer. As great as Mayberry and Day were, you cannot take O out of that equation and have the same success.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on March 29, 2013, 12:30:28 pm
This is when I started going to Razorback games. And back then it was pronounced "Steeeeeeeeeve Shhhaaaaaaaaaallll."

Most of our centers (in my memory) have been roll players. Contributers in several categories—rebounds, blocks, etc—but not standouts.

The Big O and Joe Kleine were exceptional. And the most fun to watch. Kleine was a great scorer (SWC Offensive Player of the Year his senior year). I recently met Texas Tech's starting center from those days, and he said Kleine was harder to play against than Akeem, because of his size and strength.

Oliver was amazing in his prime. Not tall but with super long arms. He could really float around the circle, and has been said, he was a fantastic passer. As great as Mayberry and Day were, you cannot take O out of that equation and have the same success.

Big O's pulled groin muscle kept the 90-91 team from going back to the Final Four.

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 29, 2013, 05:16:05 pm
Big O's pulled groin muscle kept the 90-91 team from going back to the Final Four.

And us blowing a huge lead to KU in the Elite Eight...
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 29, 2013, 05:16:05 pm

I just looked up the records of those 2 seasons. We went to the Final 4 when Day, Mayberry, and O Miller were sophomores. (But of course we also had MVP Lenzie Howell.)

That next year (without Howell) we went 34-4. We ended the season smoking hot, including our beating the Horns 120-89 in our last SWC Tournament. We were thumping everyone, but then came Kansas and their big dumb white boy slow down game. Don't know if that's what happened, just a guess. Don't remember O Miller being hurt, but that explains a lot.

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on April 02, 2013, 01:25:02 pm
I just looked up the records of those 2 seasons. We went to the Final 4 when Day, Mayberry, and O Miller were sophomores. (But of course we also had MVP Lenzie Howell.)

That next year (without Howell) we went 34-4. We ended the season smoking hot, including our beating the Horns 120-89 in our last SWC Tournament. We were thumping everyone, but then came Kansas and their big dumb white boy slow down game. Don't know if that's what happened, just a guess. Don't remember O Miller being hurt, but that explains a lot.

Big O played but I remember a couple of times he stayed down on the defensive end.  I read later that he was at 70% that game.

rljjr

jamie72921

Quote from: Terry (GUVHOG) Holcomb on March 28, 2013, 08:13:26 pm
During his freshman year, Darnell was almost impossible to stop when he came off of the bench and teamed with Corliss inside. Nolan begged him to keep his wait at 245 but he wouldn't listen. He ballooned up to nearly 300lbs during that summer and was not near as effective the next 2 seasons..

Actually he had a stress fracture in his foot that kept him from being able to condition. He played on it for a season and a half before getting it fixed and leading us to the sweet 16 against UMass.

You are amazing.
Bless your heart

Big O could float like a butterfly and pass like Joe Montana.  I never saw his feet over 4 inches off the floor on a rebound but he got quite a few somehow.

toxichog

Nobody could defend the rim like Oliver Miller.  Excellent defender, great hands, great passer, even threw in some 3's........all this through his junior year, he was too heavy as a senior and it hurt him and the team.  Eventually ate himself out of the NBA.  Joe Klein was the best offensive center.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: gguillo on March 26, 2013, 10:00:08 pm
Andrew Lang, Big O, Mario Credit were all awesome.
Darnell Robinson?? Lee Wilson??