Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson Approval Poll! (i've seen some bickering on here. put up or shut up!)

Started by exit19, December 08, 2012, 06:22:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

"Do you approve of the job Mike Anderson is doing as Arkansas basketball coach?"

Yes!
771 (88.5%)
No!
100 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 858

99toLife

Quote from: hogsanity on December 14, 2012, 09:03:06 am
Consistent success as defined how?   I mean look at teams that have "gone deep" in the NCAA tournament lately.  George Mason, VCU.  SO what.  They came out of rinky dink leagues, had a couple good guards, and got hot.  Would you define them as consistently successful programs?

Always in the top 3 in the SEC, always getting 22+ wins and always making the NCAAT with the only discussion of where we will be seeded.

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Quote from: 99toLife on December 13, 2012, 04:47:48 pm
I never said that, I liked him as Missouri's coach and I like him here, I'm a Mike fan..just not delusional on what he can bring.

You've said he can't recruit, Haith got MA's players to play at a higher level than MA could, after the Elite Eight run his teams got progressively worse, etc.  Why would you like him here or there?

hogsanity

Quote from: 99toLife on December 14, 2012, 09:09:03 am
Always in the top 3 in the SEC, always getting 22+ wins and always making the NCAAT with the only discussion of where we will be seeded.

I won't hold my breath then for MA to reach these 3 goals.  22 wins is no longer a guarantee for making the NCAAT, especially if 12 or so of them are OOC patsies.  Top 3 in the SEC EVERY year?  People are already making excuses FOR NEXT YEAR if BJ leaves. A team with it's 3rd recruting class under one coach should not be that dependent on one player in the 3rd year, but that is basically what everyone is saying NEXT YEAR depends on.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Scott7703

Quote from: 99toLife on December 12, 2012, 04:27:33 pm
I like Mike, but I think many on here are delusional on what kind of coach he is.  The b*tching has already started about how his teams "Look" . I say be patient he's a good coach, maybe not as awesome as some on here think, but a good basketball coach.

He is a better coach than Haith and it isnt even close.

99toLife

Quote from: SixtySecondsOfPitino on December 14, 2012, 09:12:34 am
You've said he can't recruit, Haith got MA's players to play at a higher level than MA could, after the Elite Eight run his teams got progressively worse, etc.  Why would you like him here or there?

I think if you give him time he will even out on his recruiting, at Mizzou he took over a disaster and the first two years were not good, His 3rd year was great and then he rebuilt again and seemed to be okay, yes his teams faded away the last two years but I think he knew he was coming to Arkansas long before the end of his last year and just quit recruiting..I think his situation here is a little different.

99toLife

tigermania21

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on December 12, 2012, 11:47:21 am
From 1987-1988 to 1995-1996:

- Record of 241-65
- 3 SEC regular season championships
- 1 1st round NCAA tournament appearance
- 2 2nd round NCAA tournament appearances
- 2 Sweet 16 appearances
- 1 Elite 8 appearance
- 1 Final Four appearance
- 1 National runner-up
- 1 National championship

That's a pretty stout 9 year run. Maybe the best in basketball?

Over those 9 seasons, we went to the NCAA tournament every season, we were involved in 6 Sweet 16s, 4 Elite 8s, 3 Final Fours, and 2 championship games.

Get. Some. Boy.

SixtySecondsOfPitino

Quote from: 99toLife on December 14, 2012, 09:21:56 am
I think if you give him time he will even out on his recruiting, at Mizzou he took over a disaster and the first two years were not good, His 3rd year was great and then he rebuilt again and seemed to be okay, yes his teams faded away the last two years but I think he knew he was coming to Arkansas long before the end of his last year and just quit recruiting..I think his situation here is a little different.

Sensible.   :razorback:

tigermania21

Arkansas is all the bridesmaid and they have been the bride once COME ON' BOY and get you some Florida has a better basketball Program than Arkansas. I mean hell , Vandy goes to the tourney ever year and what good does it do them ?

tigermania21

I am really glad that Anderson is at Arkansas because nobody was going to get a fair chance to build anything here until it happened. I just don't think it will be as great as fan want to dream it will be , but guess what Anderson has free reign so if it bad the fans will find a way to make it someone fault. ( i.e. The players are not the right fit or they just don't have enough talent all because Anderson wanted about half our roster and couldn't recruit them on his own .)

99toLife

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 10:13:08 am
I am really glad that Anderson is at Arkansas because nobody was going to get a fair chance to build anything here until it happened. I just don't think it will be as great as fan want to dream it will be , but guess what Anderson has free reign so if it bad the fans will find a way to make it someone fault. ( i.e. The players are not the right fit or they just don't have enough talent all because Anderson wanted about half our roster and couldn't recruit them on his own .)

This is the main reason I thought Mike was the perfect hire here.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 09:58:13 am
Arkansas is all the bridesmaid and they have been the bride once COME ON' BOY

And?

A lot of big time schools only have one national championship. Syracuse, Georgetown, Michigan, Ohio State, and Arizona among them. Are those not power programs? They've only been the bride once.

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 09:58:13 amand get you some Florida has a better basketball Program than Arkansas.

Not really. They did win one more national championship, but Arkansas has more tournament appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and Final Fours. Look it up. They have a better program right now and in the last 10-12 years, but historically, they do have more success than Arkansas.

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 09:58:13 amI mean hell , Vandy goes to the tourney ever year and what good does it do them ?

Why are we even discussing Vanderbilt? They are not comparable to a success-rich program like Arkansas.

tigermania21

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on December 14, 2012, 01:01:13 pm
And?

A lot of big time schools only have one national championship. Syracuse, Georgetown, Michigan, Ohio State, and Arizona among them. Are those not power programs? They've only been the bride once.

Not really. They did win one more national championship, but Arkansas has more tournament appearances, Sweet 16s, Elite 8s, and Final Fours. Look it up. They have a better program right now and in the last 10-12 years, but historically, they do have more success than Arkansas.

Why are we even discussing Vanderbilt? They are not comparable to a success-rich program like Arkansas.

tigermania21

I don't think any school can act like a national power when they only have one National Title...

Danny J

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 03:25:04 pm
I don't think any school can act like a national power when they only have one National Title...
We may not be a considered elite like UNC, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky but we have and always will be a better program than Mizzou. Really not even comparable.

99toLife

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on December 14, 2012, 03:31:18 pm
We may not be a considered elite like UNC, Duke, Kansas and Kentucky but we have and always will be a better program than Mizzou. Really not even comparable.

Not sure why you bring up Missouri, it has nothing to do with the Razorbacks, be a Hog and don't act like the little dude that never got picked for kickball in 5th grade..

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 03:25:04 pm

Arkansas was a national power for the 9 year stretch I documented. How you could argue otherwise is beyond me. Duke or Kentucky might be the only other programs in the country that could rival that kind of success during that time.

We are no longer a national power, but Arkansas most certainly was a national power in the early '90s. You said we have never been a national power.

And I disagree with your opinion of that no school with one national championship can consider themselves a national power. Syracuse, Georgetown, Ohio State, Arizona - those schools either are currently or have been national powers.

99toLife

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on December 14, 2012, 03:54:37 pm
Arkansas was a national power for the 9 year stretch I documented. How you could argue otherwise is beyond me. Duke or Kentucky might be the only other programs in the country that could rival that kind of success during that time.

We are no longer a national power, but Arkansas most certainly was a national power in the early '90s. You said we have never been a national power.

And I disagree with your opinion of that no school with one national championship can consider themselves a national power. Syracuse, Georgetown, Ohio State, Arizona - those schools either are currently or have been national powers.

Anyone that doesn't remember the Arkansas and UNLV teams back then missed an unbelievable fun time.. it was like Nitro Dragsters running at each other playing chicken..   and BOOM..

tigermania21

tigermania21

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on December 14, 2012, 03:31:18 pm

Just so ya know I am for the Gators first and foremost because Pelphrey is there. The reason I have tiger in my name is for Mizzou because I do like the tigers. I liked watching them lose back in the Nolan days , but that  was most usually a pretty game when Nolan and Norm went at it on the hardwood.

Danny J

Quote from: 99toLife on December 14, 2012, 03:34:19 pm
Not sure why you bring up Missouri, it has nothing to do with the Razorbacks, be a Hog and don't act like the little dude that never got picked for kickball in 5th grade..
Just felt like bringing up Mizzou to see if I could get my favorite Mizzou fan all up in arms. Worked huh?  ;)

la20688

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 05:15:54 pm
Just so ya know I am for the Gators first and foremost because Pelphrey is there. The reason I have tiger in my name is for Mizzou because I do like the tigers. I liked watching them lose back in the Nolan days , but that  was most usually a pretty game when Nolan and Norm went at it on the hardwood.
So basically, you're saying that it can be expected for you to shift loyalties if the conversation starts going bad for you. If things aren't going well discussing the Tigers, you're actually a "Gators fan". If that discussion starts heading in the wrong direction, then what? Will you say that you're really a Kentucky fan? I mean Wildcats are kinda like Tigers, they're both in the cat family....Right?

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: la20688 on December 15, 2012, 11:47:57 pm
So basically, you're saying that it can be expected for you to shift loyalties if the conversation starts going bad for you. If things aren't going well discussing the Tigers, you're actually a "Gators fan". If that discussion starts heading in the wrong direction, then what? Will you say that you're really a Kentucky fan? I mean Wildcats are kinda like Tigers, they're both in the cat family....Right?

I like Ligers. Its a lion and tiger mixed . . . bred for their skills in magic.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

ChitownHawg

I see the 11.7% who voted against Long in MMQ have moved over to JB to complain about someone.  :puke:

I voted yes as MA's type of players were not here when he got the team. If we are not winning consistently in a two years then MAYBE something is wrong.

As someone else said - "haters gonna hate"
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Smithian on December 08, 2012, 08:54:59 pm
Agreed. BJ, Marshawn, and those guys are awful.

More Bell and Williams please!

Let's not judge Bell and Williams in game 9 of their freshmen season.  And let's not judge Pelphrey's recruiting by BJ and Marshawn.  You conveniently omit names like Levan Patsasia, Andre Clarke, Brandon Moore, Montrell McDonald, Marvell Waithe, Glenn Bryant, Julysses Nobles, etc (and I do mean etc, because yes, sadly there were more in just a short 4 year period).  Not to mention that Pelphrey's prize player, Marshawn Powell, was so talented that he has led us to a grand total of zero NCAA tournament games.

The reality is that Anderson was left with a team with little experience, talent, or work ethic.  He is implementing a new system, and anyone with a basketball IQ can see that we are making great strides.  But it takes time to learn how to play full speed yet under control.  Our boys played like they belonged against Michigan and Syracuse;  it's been a decade since our teams have played without intimidation.  The future is bright for these Hogs.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 08, 2012, 06:43:21 pm
So, the 2015-16 season is the expected start of greatness?

Can't wait! (literally)

Great, go away. 

I love the hypocrisy.  We should have waited around an extra few years for Pelphrey to see what he could do with the Mickelson and Madden class.  But we can't wait for Anderson to develop his players with his style.  Give it up, Captain Butthurt. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on December 16, 2012, 08:47:02 am
Great, go away

I love the hypocrisy.  We should have waited around an extra few years for Pelphrey to see what he could do with the Mickelson and Madden class.  But we can't wait for Anderson to develop his players with his style.  Give it up, Captain Butthurt. 

Do you need a tissue? LOL, maybe you're ok with waiting three more years before you expect any progress from this program. That'd be beyond silly.

And who is Pelphrey? Ohhhhh, that guy who was here two years ago? Funny, no one really mentions him anymore. Well....except you. He left plenty of talent. Most of them are still here. Some left. Point is...he gone, so:

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

WilsonHog

I freely admit bias.

I am a Mike Anderson guy. He was at the top of my list when Pelphrey was fired, and I was elated we were able to bring him home. My support rests on his previous involvement with our program, and what I watched his teams at UAB and Missouri do, and because I believe he is an outstanding representative for our university and state.

Could my support erode? Sure, if we suffered three or four consecutive losing seasons.

I was never a Stan Heath guy or a John Pelphrey guy. I had no confidence in either of them when they were hired, based on their respective resumes. Could I have grown into a strong supporter of either of them? Sure, if after three or four years their teams were averaging 20-25 wins a year with appearances in the NCAA Tournament every year.

So, yeah, I'm applying different standards based on personal bias. That's life.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Like Wilson, I admit bias also.  However, mine is toward Mike A. but more so toward the style of play.  Yes, I like the 40 minutes of hell and the fast-break offense more than I do a half-court O. 

I feel the same way about football, that is why I'm don't have a man-crush on BB or the style I believe he will play.  People used to also think the forward pass was a gimmick.  I believe a pro-style pass heavy offense is the way of the future, and the best way for us to win here.

So ban me, smite me, call me an idiot - put me in whatever category you want, but this is an opinion board and that is mine.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

MountieDawg

The 86 percent approval is the biggest sign of the fans really care less about basketball. Just having a coach from the Nolan era is great, but forget Final Fours or sweet 16s...fans could care less that the team is on pace for 2 years of no post season basketball after a Top 10 recruiting class 2 years ago.
SEC!

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 18, 2012, 09:30:06 pm
The 86 percent approval is the biggest sign of the fans really care less about basketball. Just having a coach from the Nolan era is great, but forget Final Fours or sweet 16s...fans could care less that the team is on pace for 2 years of no post season basketball after a Top 10 recruiting class 2 years ago.

Wow...that was harsh.  I think the approval rating stems from the optimism of seeing the return of a style that our fans are used to, and the hope that we will start to get players who will want to play that style and excel in it. 

He's 2-3 years away from fans getting restless IMO.  I still think they are going to surprise some people this year once they start to gel. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Jamie Jones

Quote from: tigermania21 on December 14, 2012, 05:15:54 pm
A gator fan with a tiger username...on a HOG message board. Makes perfect sense to me! ::) Some people are completely devoid of a life.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Ramtough

If you can't turn a B-Ball program around in 3 years then you suck as a recruiter and coach. No reason not to be in the tourny next season with all the talent up there.

Smithian

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 18, 2012, 09:30:06 pmfans could care less that the team is on pace for 2 years of no post season basketball after a Top 10 recruiting class 2 years ago.
Admittedly, I think we'll play well and sneak into the tournament.

I will be interested to see the reaction of this board if we miss the tournament and then Powell and Young leave. Next year could be tough again.

I am just sad since during the Pelphrey days Jump Ball told me Mike Anderson would pack Bud Walton every game, have us be center in national attention, have recruits (like Archie Goodwin) beating down our door, and have the team in Sweet 16 contention really fast :( Reality sucks....

hogsanity

Quote from: notshavintiljlsgo on December 16, 2012, 01:20:43 pm
Like Wilson, I admit bias also.  However, mine is toward Mike A. but more so toward the style of play.  Yes, I like the 40 minutes of hell and the fast-break offense more than I do a half-court O. 

I feel the same way about football, that is why I'm don't have a man-crush on BB or the style I believe he will play.  People used to also think the forward pass was a gimmick.  I believe a pro-style pass heavy offense is the way of the future, and the best way for us to win here.

So ban me, smite me, call me an idiot - put me in whatever category you want, but this is an opinion board and that is mine.

Yep, forget winning titles, as long as it is "exciting".

I tell you, nothing is more exciting in basketball then knowing somone on the opposing team will likely have a career night against us, it is just trying to guess which guy averaging 4ppg will go off for 20+ because we won't guard them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on December 19, 2012, 09:59:55 am

I tell you, nothing is more exciting in basketball then knowing somone on the opposing team will likely have a career night against us, it is just trying to guess which guy averaging 4ppg will go off for 20+ because we won't guard them.

As long as we're trapping in the half court, and leaving 4 on 3 once the pass is made out of the trap, we're going to be at the mercy of how experienced and well coached the opposition is.  But..it was almost always that way under Nolan too, and I used to scream at the TV to just play a straight up man on the perimeter, but alas...he never listened.   ;D   However, we did manage to have enough athletes to play that style and wear down the opponent, and win a lot of games through "runs."  The good years were when we had basketball players who adapted to that style, and the bad ones were when we had "athletes" that were supposed to convert to being basketball players.   

BUT...the big difference was...shooters.  Once we got them worn down a little and got past half court, one pass and we had someone open from 3 WHO COULD MAKE IT.  Then that promoted a faster pace, and it just snowballed.  If the perimeter wasn't open and we had to set up, then we had Corliss who could command respect and leave guys on the perimeter open. 

While I hear the antagonists, and understand the sentiment that this style may have seen its day and be past its prime, I'm not so sure.  I think we're a nasty Rodman type of rebounder, and a few more sharp shooters away from seeing this thing gel.  Question is...do we get those guys or not?   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on December 19, 2012, 09:42:41 am

I will be interested to see the reaction of this board if we miss the tournament and then Powell and Young leave. Next year could be tough again.

I am just sad since during the Pelphrey days Jump Ball told me Mike Anderson would pack Bud Walton every game, have us be center in national attention, have recruits (like Archie Goodwin) beating down our door, and have the team in Sweet 16 contention really fast :( Reality sucks....

"It's gonna be epic when FCJ turns on MA." - Cityhog
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

99toLife

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 19, 2012, 12:19:18 pm
"It's gonna be epic when FCJ turns on MA." - Cityhog

FCJ is in his bunker pre-loading posts as we speak!  He will come out firing!

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HoginClinton on December 19, 2012, 04:22:25 pm
I have a question that is half serious/half rhetorical.  Will the coach of the Razorbacks always have to be a Richardson/Anderson/Hawgball man or can it ever be someone outside that chain/style?

I think it depends on how Mike does. If he struggles, people will want a different style. If he has a great amount of success, people will probably cling even more to the "Hawgball" style and want our next coach to have that style.

I just want to win, man. I was completely fine with Anderson because of his history here, the clamoring of the fanbase and him being about as proven as you could find that's willing to switch jobs, but I thought we passed up a good, young coach that plays a similar yet more adaptive style and features toughness as a trademark of his teams. People didn't think he was proven enough.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: 99toLife on December 19, 2012, 12:20:56 pm

But he'll somehow fire at Jeff Long instead of MA though.  I haven't figured out his angle on that yet, but I'm sure he's working on it right now. 

dsims2k3

Quote from: 99toLife on December 19, 2012, 12:20:56 pm

What has occured to warrant that???
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Smithian on December 19, 2012, 09:42:41 am

You listened to Jump Ball?

hog101

He's doing just fine. It will only get better.

I believe it is exciting AND the way to win titles.  If done right, this style of play will overcome anything that the opponent brings.

IMO
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

GuvHog

AS everyone knows, Mike Anderson was not my #1 choice for the Hog head basketball job, That was Frank Martin but Mike fits the program well and is doing a good job. He has my support.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

99toLife

Quote from: notshavintiljlsgo on December 21, 2012, 04:40:14 pm
I believe it is exciting AND the way to win titles.  If done right, this style of play will overcome anything that the opponent brings.

IMO

Just curious when was the last time it was done right and won a title?

dsims2k3

Well who do you expect, better yet, want to walk in and win a title? ????
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.