Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, what's the chances of Harris playing this year?

Started by Amityvillehogger, August 17, 2012, 11:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Why are we assuming that Harris isn't transferring to assist in a direct relatives care?  I mean I'm sure his mothers unexpected death caused some hardships in his family, even 2 years later.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 11, 2012, 03:46:01 pm
Having a child should be planned, though, right? I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be allowed to transfer to TCU, I'm saying he shouldn't be allowed to play right away. You're acting as if he can't take care of the kid if he isn't immediately eligible. Nothing's stopping him from taking care of the kid.

There's some precedent (though not exactly the same) for the NCAA giving waivers to players who transfer to be closer to families when serious illness are involved. I'm not sure if there is any precedent for granting a waiver 2 years-post death. I do not think Harris will get the waiver, or at least I didn't before I saw this bologna about Abron getting a waiver. That's my only gripe here - if Abron gets a waiver and Harris doesn't. If they both get one, great. But if one was to get one and the other not, Abron should be the one not getting one.

The rule also allows a waiver due to "financial hardship." I'm just guessing, as I obviously don't have access to the paperwork filed on behalf of Abron, but I'm assuming financial hardship (mother, baby, etc) was the likely reason he got his waiver approved.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: HogFan#1 on September 11, 2012, 03:50:04 pm
Why are we assuming that Harris isn't transferring to assist in a direct relatives care?  I mean I'm sure his mothers unexpected death caused some hardships in his family, even 2 years later.

We assume because he didn't choose to transfer to UALR.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 03:50:31 pm
The rule also allows a waiver due to "financial hardship." I'm just guessing, as I obviously don't have access to the paperwork filed on behalf of Abron, but I'm assuming financial hardship (mother, baby, etc) was the likely reason he got his waiver approved.

As long as Harris gets his waiver, too.....

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 03:51:27 pm

Or his family could be moving to Fayetteville so he can attend a better institution and he can still help them. Moving to Houston might have been more difficult for them.

HF#1

The only thing we are sure of is that it is far more likely that the NCAA will be inconsistent.  Which means the Harris waiver is likely to get denied.  Might as well prepare for it.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HogFan#1 on September 11, 2012, 03:52:53 pm
The only thing we are sure of is that it is far more likely that the NCAA will be inconsistent.

Yes.

Which is why I'm almost positive Harris won't get his waiver now. It'd make too much sense.

HawgAdvocate

September 11, 2012, 03:55:38 pm #57 Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:59:06 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 11, 2012, 03:52:51 pm
Or his family could be moving to Fayetteville so he can attend a better institution and he can still help them. Moving to Houston might have been more difficult for them.

But have they moved? If so, then that's something that should work in his favor. It seems like a tall order to have a family pick up and move just so Harris can play right away.

TCU is just an hour's drive from Seagoville, TX.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 03:55:38 pm
But have they moved? If so, then that's something that should work in his favor.

I've only heard that kicked around. Info Harris seems to be scarce.

I just don't like Abron getting a waiver because he knocked a girl up (which he absolutely could have not done). If Harris gets his, I'm good. I'm good with Harris getting a waiver with his family still living in LR. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive. That's close enough.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 02:40:09 pm
"Rewarded for doing what he did?" That's a very odd way to look at it. Sharing the responsibility of being a parent to a newborn child is about as solid of a reason as there can be to get a waiver.

Harris' reason for a request, based on what is known to the general public, doesn't appear to be in the same ballpark as Abron's. Just because Harris didn't do anything "wrong" doesn't mean the waiver requirements should be tossed aside.
Yes, being responsible now by going home and becoming a parent is very honrable. But getting in that situation isn't. I think it's pretty clear what I was talking about. Continue on......

Harris' reason to me is no different. No he's not coming back here to be a father, but it's funny that if he were to knock a girl up and then state that as his reason he gets cleared. But having a hard time dealing with the death of his mom and wishing to be closer to family isn't? Ok.....

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 03:51:27 pm
I think the NCAA can easily see why he chose to tansfer to Arkasnas vs. UALR. Yeah UALR is closer to hims hom, but in no way is it comparable to the situation he left. Sadly Arkansas and Houston are much more comparible than Houston and UALR.

HawgAdvocate

September 13, 2012, 01:18:36 pm #61 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on September 13, 2012, 10:44:59 am
Harris' reason to me is no different. No he's not coming back here to be a father, but it's funny that if he were to knock a girl up and then state that as his reason he gets cleared. But having a hard time dealing with the death of his mom and wishing to be closer to family isn't? Ok.....

It's different because there is a newborn child, that Abron fathered, that the NCAA feels/agrees needs assistance with his/her upbringing. Abron is directly responsible for this child. He is a/the legal guardian. TCU is an hours drive from Seagoville, TX.

Harris' mother died two years ago. Who is it that now needs assistance that has forced him to move to Fayetteville and not Little Rock? Where does this person live? Is Harris directly responsible for this person's well being?

These are valid questions, that the NCAA has to determine, which you don't seem to comprehend. You may not think it's fair, and the NCAA may ultimately rule in Harris' favor, but you can't simply ignore the obvious differences in two situations.

HawgAdvocate

September 13, 2012, 01:36:20 pm #62 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:51:05 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on September 13, 2012, 10:47:22 am
I think the NCAA can easily see why he chose to tansfer to Arkasnas vs. UALR. Yeah UALR is closer to hims hom, but in no way is it comparable to the situation he left. Sadly Arkansas and Houston are much more comparible than Houston and UALR.

You don't have the first clue as to what the transfer waiver process is about.

UALR and Arkansas are both DI schools. The NCAA doesn't care about the prestige involved. The basis of the transfer waiver is "for student-athletes who are compelled to transfer because of financial hardship, or an injury or illness to the student-athlete or a member of their family."

Look at the recent case of current Auburn FB Jay Prosch, who was granted a waiver after leaving Illinois this spring. His mother has brain cancer. She lives in Mobile, AL.

Kelly Brooks, the NCAA staff liaison to the Division I Subcommittee for Legislative Relief said the NCAA staff tries to determine if the transfer was motivated primarily by personal or athletic reasons. "Are you really going home to help with your family member's care?" he said.

Brooks said the NCAA doesn't define close to home by mileage or driving distance, so an athlete wouldn't necessarily have to transfer to the school that is geographically closest. But neither does it consider an athlete's desire to play at a school with the same caliber of football as his first school, he said.

That point could work against Prosch. Auburn is far closer to Mobile than Illinois is, but there are other Football Bowl Subdivision schools even closer to his family. None of those schools plays at the level of an SEC or Big Ten program.

"We're looking at the need to go home," Brooks said, speaking generally. "If the facts point to more of an athletic reason for the transfer, that would open an eye."

Regarding the issues involving the health of a family member, "there are a number of factors that are considered with the criteria, some of which include the relationship of the individual to the student-athlete and proximity from transferring institution to where the individual lives/is being treated, to name a couple."

But, in Harris' instance, who is it that is currently ill or injured? If no one, is there a financial hardship somehow involved here?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61087/ncaa-approves-half-of-all-hardship-waivers

Again, we know the specifics involving Abron. It's clear as day why he left for TCU (and not a more prestigous program like Baylor or SMU or Texas or TAMU). You don't know the specifics as to why Harris feels he has an arguable case based on the criteria the NCAA has set for a waiver allowing a transfer without penalty. To say the two cases "are no different" is retarded.

Dogtown Donkey

It's my understanding that Harris has a younger sister. I don't believe the father is in the picture. I've heard that it's his sister and his aunt. That's basically his immediate family.

But, again, that's just what I've heard/read and it did not come from any publication so take that FWIW.

azhog10

September 13, 2012, 02:20:44 pm #64 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 02:22:33 pm by azhog10
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2012, 01:36:20 pm
You don't have the first clue as to what the transfer waiver process is about.

UALR and Arkansas are both DI schools. The NCAA doesn't care about the prestige involved. The basis of the transfer waiver is "for student-athletes who are compelled to transfer because of financial hardship, or an injury or illness to the student-athlete or a member of their family."

Look at the recent case of current Auburn FB Jay Prosch, who was granted a waiver after leaving Illinois this spring. His mother has brain cancer. She lives in Mobile, AL.

Regarding the issues involving the health of a family member, "there are a number of factors that are considered with the criteria, some of which include the relationship of the individual to the student-athlete and proximity from transferring institution to where the individual lives/is being treated, to name a couple."

But, in Harris' instance, who is it that is currently ill or injured? If no one, is there a financial hardship somehow involved here?

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61087/ncaa-approves-half-of-all-hardship-waivers

Again, we know the specifics involving Abron. It's clear as day why he left for TCU (and not a more prestigous program like Baylor or SMU or Texas or TAMU). You don't know the specifics as to why Harris feels he has an arguable case based on the criteria the NCAA has set for a waiver allowing a transfer without penalty. To say the two cases "are no different" is retarded.
LMAO! Dude I wasn't trying to say that UALR and Arkansas go by different transfer rules. Not sure where the hell you ever got that. But thanks for this wicked long post. Gonna be honest only read about the first sentence. I would say a death to one's mom applies. There are no time  tables listed. That's up for the NCAA to decide whether or not he deserves the waiver or not. I was just stating that apparently if he were to have knocked some girl up, he'd have a better chance to transfer vs. trying to come back closer to home to be around family.

Good Lord you are quite amusing.

Are you saying Abron had an open invitation from TAMU and Texas to go there? Let's just ignore that issue right?

azhog10

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 13, 2012, 02:20:15 pm
It's my understanding that Harris has a younger sister. I don't believe the father is in the picture. I've heard that it's his sister and his aunt. That's basically his immediate family.

But, again, that's just what I've heard/read and it did not come from any publication so take that FWIW.
Thanks Donkey.

HawgAdvocate

September 13, 2012, 03:09:26 pm #66 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 03:17:11 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on September 13, 2012, 02:20:44 pm
Gonna be honest only read about the first sentence.

Hence why you know so little on the topic of transfer waivers.

The NCAA doesn't care how "comparable" Arkansas basketball is compared to UALR. That doesn't help Harris one iota. It actually could hurt his case if anything. A death in the family two years ago doesn't fall in compliance with the standards the NCAA has set. There has to be hardship or an illness or something that proves he is immediately needed.

No one said Abron had an offer to go to Texas or TAMU. You tried to assert that the NCAA should see why Harris chose Arkansas over UALR (because Houston was more "comparable" to Arkansas). Abron went to the D-I school closest to his hometown. He didn't go to a more "comparable" program (to Arkansas).

If you'd have taken 30 seconds to actually read the discussion, you'd have (possibly) understood that.

Breems

What's the point in waivers anyway?  Why not just let everyone play?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on September 13, 2012, 03:18:10 pm
What's the point in waivers anyway?  Why not just let everyone play?

So certain programs can't cherry pick established/proven players (and vice-versa) year after year.

They want an LOI to actually mean something. 

azhog10

September 13, 2012, 06:32:49 pm #69 Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 06:37:10 pm by azhog10
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2012, 03:09:26 pm
Hence why you know so little on the topic of transfer waivers.

The NCAA doesn't care how "comparable" Arkansas basketball is compared to UALR. That doesn't help Harris one iota. It actually could hurt his case if anything. A death in the family two years ago doesn't fall in compliance with the standards the NCAA has set. There has to be hardship or an illness or something that proves he is immediately needed.

No one said Abron had an offer to go to Texas or TAMU. You tried to assert that the NCAA should see why Harris chose Arkansas over UALR (because Houston was more "comparable" to Arkansas). Abron went to the D-I school closest to his hometown. He didn't go to a more "comparable" program (to Arkansas).

If you'd have taken 30 seconds to actually read the discussion, you'd have (possibly) understood that.
Dude seriously? You have no idea what I do and don't know. I try not to proclaim what Mr. All Mighty HA knows and doesn't. I've been involved and closely involved in quite a few transfers most were from D1 to D2 where there is little to no problem. However there were a couple instances where players had to sit out a semester, and one even a year. Not bc he went from D1 to D2, but interconference in a D2 conference. My statement had nothing to do with why he may or may not be elgible switching from houston to UALR or Arkansas. I know they don't care how comparible they are.

Glad you think Abron had a chance to go to Texas though. Let's me in on something I didn't know.

My statement only had to do with the NCAA and them allowing a guy who knocked someone up and is coming home to take care of his responsibilities vs a player who's mom passed and was having a hard time being far away from home. Good god you got a problem. Get laid would you? You think you are real tough on a message board. Is your life so bad that you got to come on and jump on any and every person you can? Take a minute and realize that in no way did I attack you in my original post. Just stating my opinion on how I think the NCAA looks at things and it seems to favor certain situations where a kid actually did something he probably shouldn't vs. a kid trying to live his life with some kind of happiness that he lost when his mom passed away. Damn!

Mrcoolhog55

Can anybody give us Hog fans an update on the status of Harris , and has CMA, and Harris heard anything from the NCAA??

Porked Tongue

Quote from: Mrcoolhog55 on September 13, 2012, 07:15:22 pm
Can anybody give us Hog fans an update on the status of Harris , and has CMA, and Harris heard anything from the NCAA??
As I told you, no news is NO NEWS!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on September 13, 2012, 06:32:49 pm
Glad you think Abron had a chance to go to Texas though. Let's me in on something I didn't know.

Zzzzzz...

Danny J

Porked Tongue

Danny J

Danny J

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 13, 2012, 01:18:36 pm
It's different because there is a newborn child, that Abron fathered, that the NCAA feels/agrees needs assistance with his/her upbringing. Abron is directly responsible for this child. He is a/the legal guardian. TCU is an hours drive from Seagoville, TX.

Harris' mother died two years ago. Who is it that now needs assistance that has forced him to move to Fayetteville and not Little Rock? Where does this person live? Is Harris directly responsible for this person's well being? These are valid questions, that the NCAA has to determine, which you don't seem to comprehend. You may not think it's fair, and the NCAA may ultimately rule in Harris' favor, but you can't simply ignore the obvious differences in two situations.

Harris' mother died two years ago. Who is it that now needs assistance that has forced him to move to Fayetteville and not Little Rock? Where does this person live? Is Harris directly responsible for this person's well being?

These are valid questions, that the NCAA has to determine, which you don't seem to comprehend. You may not think it's fair, and the NCAA may ultimately rule in Harris' favor, but you can't simply ignore the obvious differences in two situations.

HA, what about Harris' well being? I think the NCAA would pay attention to his inability to cope with the death of his mother and his need to be closer to home. None of us know what he stated in his narative to the NCAA. I can see his need to be closer to family.

Dogtown Donkey

azhog10

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 13, 2012, 10:37:38 pm
sent
Don't be holding out.....plenty of us wouldn't mind some hopefully good or bad news....lol

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on September 14, 2012, 09:16:22 am
HA, what about Harris' well being? I think the NCAA would pay attention to his inability to cope with the death of his mother and his need to be closer to home. None of us know what he stated in his narative to the NCAA. I can see his need to be closer to family.

Good question. But keep in mind that Harris' well being doesn't necessitate playing right away and bypassing the required year sat out as NCAA rules dictate. Harris has to show why he deserves to play right away. Simply moving closer to home to be closer to family will not likely be enough of a reason to land the waiver.

Danny J

Quote from: azhog10 on September 14, 2012, 10:01:01 am
Don't be holding out.....plenty of us wouldn't mind some hopefully good or bad news....lol
Haven't we had enough bad news lately? I don't think I could handle any more bad news.

Sawyer

What I've learned from this thread:

A lot of Arkansas fans never got laid in college or don't understand where babies come from.

Seriously... unexpected pregnancies happen every now and then, and a lot of people are extremely lucky it doesn't happen to them. It doesn't make someone a bad person or irresponsible, unless you consider all premarital sex irresponsible and immoral. Granting a waiver for a player in Abron's situation is absolutely the right thing to do. It encourages him and others like him to do the right thing. Making him sit out a year would simply give him a reason to avoid taking care of the new responsibilities he has.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Sawyer on September 14, 2012, 09:08:08 pm
What I've learned from this thread:

A lot of Arkansas fans never got laid in college or don't understand where babies come from.

Seriously... unexpected pregnancies happen every now and then, and a lot of people are extremely lucky it doesn't happen to them. It doesn't make someone a bad person or irresponsible, unless you consider all premarital sex irresponsible and immoral. Granting a waiver for a player in Abron's situation is absolutely the right thing to do. It encourages him and others like him to do the right thing. Making him sit out a year would simply give him a reason to avoid taking care of the new responsibilities he has.

Few things:

- Abron was transferring to TCU regardless of the waiver (you have to have already transferred to apply for one), so he was owning up to the responsibilities anyway. Give the guy a little more credit.

- Yes, an unexpected pregnancy for a 19-20 year that's in college and playing college basketball is pretty irresponsible. The only responsible pregnancy is the one you're willing to have. I'm pretty sure Abron's reaction to the news was "Fuu...."

- No one called Abron a bad person.

- No one posted anything to indicate that were somehow jealous that Abron had sex (not sure where you're coming from there?) nor did they indicate confusion over how babies are made.

- No one has a problem with Abron getting the waiver. The problem is Abron getting his and Harris not getting his. Your whole argument for Abron was him taking up the responsibility of being a parent and Harris now does not have parents and needs to come back to Arkansas to help with the responsibility of taking care of his sister and being the man of his entire family. His mother died and that is absolutely something he had no control over or hand in while Abron chose to have unprotected sex and allowed his sperm to penetrate a girl's egg, causing conception. (There, you happy, someone knows how babies are made.)

Sawyer

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 14, 2012, 09:19:18 pm
- No one has a problem with Abron getting the waiver.

Really? Direct quote from above (from you, no less):

"he shouldn't be given a waiver for it. Shouldn't get a waiver to play immediately for having an unplanned (I'm assuming) child out of wedlock. He responsibly took care of his irresponsibility. Not waiver-worthy, in my book."

Sounds to me like you do have a problem with it, and you weren't the only one to express this general feeling. On the point of the waiver encouraging people to take responsibility, my point wasn't so much that it would encourage him to do so (although that is how I phrased it). My point was that by doing this, the NCAA will encourage kids in future situations to do the right thing.

As for Harris, I don't mean to sound cold, but his mother died early in his freshman year. If he had to come home to take care of his family, I would think that would've happened sooner. Instead, he didn't leave Houston until a year and a half later. I don't really buy the arguments being made for a waiver of the standard year on the bench.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Sawyer on September 14, 2012, 10:48:03 pm
Really? Direct quote from above (from you, no less):

"he shouldn't be given a waiver for it. Shouldn't get a waiver to play immediately for having an unplanned (I'm assuming) child out of wedlock. He responsibly took care of his irresponsibility. Not waiver-worthy, in my book."

Fair enough. You got me there, though I did follow up by saying I would be fine with it as long as Harris also got his waiver. My point was more that Harris' case was more worthy of a waiver than Abron's.

Quote from: Sawyer on September 14, 2012, 10:48:03 pmAs for Harris, I don't mean to sound cold, but his mother died early in his freshman year. If he had to come home to take care of his family, I would think that would've happened sooner. Instead, he didn't leave Houston until a year and a half later. I don't really buy the arguments being made for a waiver of the standard year on the bench.

The talk is that he's come home to help raise his younger sister. It's possible that someone else volunteered to care for her when the death initially happened and it's now become clear that she needs her older brother (her closest living/available relative). I don't think it's unreasonable to think that people close to Harris stepped up and did what they could so he didn't have to come home, and circumstances may have changed. Personally, I don't care if it's been 2 years. I think being "homesick" is enough for a player that has no parents (especially when one died after he started his college career). He should have a very compelling case.

Abron's is no more waiver worthy, IMO. If your argument is that Harris should still have to sit out, my argument is that Abron could still sit out and do what he needs to do. In fact, if the reason for the waiver is him coming home to help take care of the a newborn, the argument could be made that him not being able to play for a year would make him more available for the child.

mhuff

I see the need for him to be near family and help out his sister.It is my contention that the NCAA does not want to make a hardship or mental anguish for a student athlete when that athlete already has a hardship of his or her own. They will try to help the athlete continue life with a compassionate attitude. I see nothing compassionate in making Harris sit out the season. I lost my father at fourteen. Athletics helped me stay on course as much as possible. It would be a disruption and a discouragement to put him on the sidelines at this point in his life. He does not need that .....especially now.