Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So, what's the chances of Harris playing this year?

Started by Amityvillehogger, August 17, 2012, 11:22:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Amityvillehogger

What do you guys think? Any chances he gets the NCAA waiver.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Danny J

Nobody knows......

I would say after hearing some of the more knowledgeable posters(GUVHOG, Mrcoolhog55 and GoHogs1091) opinions on this that the chances are not very good. I hope they are wrong.

mhuff

I dk ,but I think he plays. I have thought this due to the circumstances of the waiver request.

UNCLE BACK

I heard last week from a source close to Mike that the longer it goes the better chance he gets eligible. I say we hear in the next few weeks!

jry04

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on August 18, 2012, 01:13:12 am
Nobody knows......

I would say after hearing some of the more knowledgeable posters(GUVHOG, Mrcoolhog55 and GoHogs1091) opinions on this that the chances are not very good. I hope they are wrong.
GoHogs doesn't have a clue about anything outside of MSU. I cannot believe anyone says he is knowledeable after he said the Lakers should trade Gasol for Moultrie straight up, and last year's MSU team was better than UNLV w Johnson and Anthony.

yraciv

Nobody knows......

I'm sorry to GUV that you came up on this list.  The NCAA isn't in the people helping business for the most part and do things on their own time table.  Every case is different, but in my opinion they always tend to lean toward no so I"d assume that right now. Would love to be surprised!

Danny J

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on August 18, 2012, 10:32:23 am
GoHogs doesn't have a clue about anything outside of MSU. I cannot believe anyone says he is knowledeable after he said the Lakers should trade Gasol for Moultrie straight up, and last year's MSU team was better than UNLV w Johnson and Anthony.
You are correct in your belief. I was being facetious..

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

mhuff

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on August 18, 2012, 10:32:23 am

:puke: :puke: :puke:

Mrcoolhog55

Well I hope Alandis Harris will get to play, and that his waiver is granted to him. I wish the best for him, and the basketball Hogs this year.  What i hope is that the Hogs will get more inside help at the forward, and center positions for this year, and next year? Go Hogs Go....

Pig in the Pokey

Nobody knows......

L M F A O ! ! ! ! ! !
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Porked Tongue

Quote from: pridgehog on August 18, 2012, 10:18:10 am
I heard last week from a source close to Mike that the longer it goes the better chance he gets eligible. I say we hear in the next few weeks!
Faulty reasoning.

The NCAA gets to it when they get to it.  Longer doesn't mean more likely except in the sense that it's still open and you've not been told.

But lapsed time doesn't equate to probability.

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 18, 2012, 04:21:47 pm
Faulty reasoning.

The NCAA gets to it when they get to it.  Longer doesn't mean more likely except in the sense that it's still open and you've not been told.

UNCLE BACK

August 18, 2012, 06:29:18 pm #13 Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:30:54 pm by pridgehog
Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 18, 2012, 04:21:47 pm
Faulty reasoning.

As I stated, Mike felt that since we had not heard yet the better the chances. Mike probably knows more about the process than any of us do. So Id say it probably is not faulty reasoning but thanks for giving your input...

Porked Tongue

August 18, 2012, 06:30:51 pm #14 Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:32:43 pm by Porked Tongue
He's being diplomatic.

And though Mike might have said that, you are using an in between source.  Could be correct, but it's not a quote.  Not doubting you though as to the source.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 18, 2012, 06:30:51 pm
He's being diplomatic.

And though Mike might have said that, you are using an in between source.  Could be correct, but it's not a quote.  Not doubting you though as to the source.
Well, Ill put it to you this way, the last time I asked this person they said Mike was 50/50 and now Mike feels a little better about it. You have to remember, the University has someone talking to the NCAA weekly on this issue so he may be getting some decent feedback.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: pridgehog on August 18, 2012, 06:36:16 pm
Well, Ill put it to you this way, the last time I asked this person they said Mike was 50/50 and now Mike feels a little better about it. You have to remember, the University has someone talking to the NCAA weekly on this issue so he may be getting some decent feedback.
I again do not dispute that and it's partially accurate.  My thrust was the NCAA does things in order at their leisure.  Time gone by is not that strong of an indicator.  Sometimes they take years on an investigation.  Sometimes not so much.  It can go both ways w/o regard to ruling for or against.

Nice discussion.

Danny J

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 18, 2012, 06:43:23 pm
I again do not dispute that and it's partially accurate.  My thrust was the NCAA does things in order at their leisure.  Time gone by is not that strong of an indicator.  Sometimes they take years on an investigation.  Sometimes not so much.  It can go both ways w/o regard to ruling for or against.

Nice discussion.
So you are saying they are not an efficient and well oiled machine like our federal govt?

Seriously though...I hope we hear soon one way or the other just to satisfy my little kid like need to know.

Porked Tongue

I think we all agree that for everyone this would be sooner rather than later.

unless.......  :)

UNCLE BACK

Parents passing away is about the strongest case... Even if it was before last season. I am going with my gut and I am saying he gets eligible. If he does, we could be one year ahead of schedule...

UConnBasketball

Quote from: pridgehog on August 18, 2012, 07:04:09 pm
Parents passing away is about the strongest case... Even if it was before last season. I am going with my gut and I am saying he gets eligible. If he does, we could be one year ahead of schedule...

In college hoops its always in your best interest to live in the present especially with likely departures at the end of the year. The addition of Harris this year would have a tremendous impact on the season. The guy can play as most of you know. Maybe the email I dropped here can be used in a passionate and constructive manner to this players advantage. Good luck to the Hogs!

RockChalkJayhawk

August 18, 2012, 07:48:07 pm #21 Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:42:53 pm by RockChalkJayhawk
Trying to read the tea-leaves of the NCAA Timeline as it pertains to an eligibility situation is a futile exercise.  Although it makes for excellent discussion, the reality is this: nobody except the NCAA knows exactly what is going on.  Until they have reached a decision and contacted the institution involved, all discussion in the meantime is simply speculation, and that includes the coaching staff.

The decisions made regarding these types of transfer eligibility waivers are fuzzy at best to understand.  It's been my personal experience that timeline is the worst measuring stick one can use to predict the NCAA's finding.  That's just my opinion, based on prior experience.

What will the NCAA ruling be?  If you know the answer to that, you are wasting time here.  You should be in Vegas or at the track, parlaying your prediction skills into huge winnings!

Here's an interesting take in the context of said issue:
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/61087/ncaa-approves-half-of-all-hardship-waivers

"But undergraduate hardship requests are met with much more resistance:
Undergraduate transfer waivers (past five years):
288 approved
19 approved with conditions
324 denied

Basketball
Undergraduate transfer waivers:
47 approved
47 denied

As you can see, the NCAA denies about half of all undergraduate hardship waiver requests, both in basketball and in football. Below are the basketball numbers from April 2011-April 2012 alone:
Undergraduate transfer waivers (2011-12):
15 approved
17 denied

It's a tricky calculus. The NCAA must balance sensitivity to the family of a player, and that player's wish to be nearer an ill relative, while also ensuring the rule doesn't become (if it hasn't already) a cynically exploited loophole allowing players to transfer a year earlier than they might otherwise have done."

And I know we are not talking "illness" here.  Also, understand that for the record, I hope this kid gets awarded eligibility as I too feel like he'd be a huge addition to the program.  However, although I respect anyone's desire to think wishfully, I refuse to get my hopes up regarding this case - particularly in a situation where a year has elapsed. 

RockChalkJayhawk

Quote from: Porked Tongue on August 18, 2012, 06:43:23 pm

Nice discussion.

Your observation regarding the NCAA is spot-on.

UNCLE BACK

jcworm

August 26, 2012, 06:40:11 pm #24 Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:37:01 am by jcworm
I with pridehog on this I believe he has a solid case with the NCAA he can say he tried to make it work after his mother's death but realized it just wasn't working out and he needs to be closer to home. Fayetteville to Little Rock is a lot easier drive to make than Houston to Little Rock. Half of the request are granted each year so I think that is in his favor.

But we have seen the NCAA do a lot of things that make you scratch your head.

Mrcoolhog55

Maybe us Hog fans will hear something soon from the NCAA. I still hope Harris will be granted his waiver, and will get to play for the Hogs this year. He is a good player, and will help the Hogs this year. Go Hogs Go....

pigzwillrise

We sure could use Harris this year... once again, we're very thin in the front court...
We've got Mick, Powell, JUCO Coty Clarke, and Freshman Jacorey Williams

We need a big body that can rebound... badly. maybe Qualls can rebound well for his size

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: pigzwillrise on August 26, 2012, 10:58:07 pm
We sure could use Harris this year... once again, we're very thin in the front court...
We've got Mick, Powell, JUCO Coty Clarke, and Freshman Jacorey Williams

We need a big body that can rebound... badly. maybe Qualls can rebound well for his size
With what we have, surely it will be an upgrade over Sanchez, Waithe and Abron...

HogFoo

Quote from: pridgehog on August 27, 2012, 11:36:31 am
With what we have, surely it will be an upgrade over Sanchez, Waithe and Abron...
Hey Pridge.   Hows your aunt dianne these days? 

As for the discussion .  I think Harris has a good chance to get the waiver to let him play.  But, as we all know, the ncaa takes it's own sweet time in deciding what will happen. It could be in the next couple or weeks or it could be next semester.  Who knows.  I will be positive tho and hope for the best because if Harris is able to play on this team this year i think we'd have a sweet 16 team or better.  Heck i already think we will win 24games this year without him.  He will just add depth, size and some more scoring.  Which we can always use more of! =-)
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

idochog

Certainly him being there will be HUGE for rebounding and will create some matchup issues for other teams
I love Jesus!

Amityvillehogger

Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Danny J

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on August 30, 2012, 04:55:54 pm
Does Harris start on this team if eligible?
I think it depends on what lineup CMA wants to go with. I think he goes 3 guards and and 4/5. Just not real sure right now. No way did I think BJ should have been coming off the bench the first 2/3 of the season either. So I just don't know. I just hope it is a problem we have to worry or argue about....good problem to have  ;).

ArkansasFan

Wow.  Maybe Harris will get his??

Per @tcusid (Mark Cohen) - Assistant AD for Media Relations...
Great news for TCU men's hoops: Arkansas transfer Devonta Abron granted a waiver and eligible to compete for the Frogs this season.

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: ArkansasFan on September 10, 2012, 09:49:13 am
Wow.  Maybe Harris will get his??

Per @tcusid (Mark Cohen) - Assistant AD for Media Relations...
Great news for TCU men's hoops: Arkansas transfer Devonta Abron granted a waiver and eligible to compete for the Frogs this season.

Does anyone know what Abron's situation was?

The_Iceman

Our chances definitely just went up with Abron getting a waiver.

Harris's family situation is definitely a better excuse than I was too big to play in my former coaches system.

UNCLE BACK

Dang, I am shocked that Abron got the waiver. I was thinking that he may have had a newborn baby in Texas and that is why he went back but I may have heard that in error...

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: pridgehog on September 10, 2012, 10:48:06 am
Dang, I am shocked that Abron got the waiver. I was thinking that he may have had a newborn baby in Texas and that is why he went back but I may have heard that in error...

I heard that as well.

Danny J

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 10, 2012, 10:32:25 am
Our chances definitely just went up with Abron getting a waiver.

Harris's family situation is definitely a better excuse than I was too big to play in my former coaches system.
Surely that is not the reason he gave the ncaa is it?

zebra

Smithian

I didn't think there was a chance for Harris, but if Abron is cleared?

Come on NCAA

Porked Tongue

As I posted when he left, Abron's situation is in fact "becoming a parent."

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on September 10, 2012, 03:29:10 pm
As I posted when he left, Abron's situation is in fact "becoming a parent."

If his baby's momma is in Texas, I can see why he was cleared.

Dogtown Donkey

Something tells me Harris won't get cleared. Just our bad luck. That just seems to be the way it works. Abron gets cleared for having an illegitimate child and Harris doesn't for moving home to be close to what family he has left after two painful years away in the wake of his mother's death.

azhog10

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 11, 2012, 10:04:28 am
Something tells me Harris won't get cleared. Just our bad luck. That just seems to be the way it works. Abron gets cleared for having an illegitimate child and Harris doesn't for moving home to be close to what family he has left after two painful years away in the wake of his mother's death.
Sounds about how a broken system would work huh? I disagree though. I think with the way a lot of things have been going Harris has just as legit chance as Abron and Ziegler did. I can't believe Trey got his waiver because his dad got fired/left. I also think Abron did the right thing, but it's crazy he gets rewarded for doing what he did, and Harris gets penalized when he didn't do a thing wrong.

Danny J

Why has abron heard back so soon? Did they file faster than we did?

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Danny J (headhawg7) on September 11, 2012, 02:23:21 pm
Why has abron heard back so soon? Did they file faster than we did?

It wouldn't necessarily matter if he did. The NCAA cannot be predicted with such things.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on September 11, 2012, 02:21:25 pm
I also think Abron did the right thing, but it's crazy he gets rewarded for doing what he did, and Harris gets penalized when he didn't do a thing wrong.

"Rewarded for doing what he did?" That's a very odd way to look at it. Sharing the responsibility of being a parent to a newborn child is about as solid of a reason as there can be to get a waiver.

Harris' reason for a request, based on what is known to the general public, doesn't appear to be in the same ballpark as Abron's. Just because Harris didn't do anything "wrong" doesn't mean the waiver requirements should be tossed aside.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 02:40:09 pm
"Rewarded for doing what he did?" That's a very odd way to look at it. Sharing the responsibility of being a parent to a newborn child is about as solid of a reason as there can be to get a waiver.

I completely disagree.

Devonta did the right thing, there is no doubt. But he shouldn't be given a waiver for it. Shouldn't get a waiver to play immediately for having an unplanned (I'm assuming) child out of wedlock. He responsibly took care of his irresponsibility. Not waiver-worthy, in my book.

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 02:40:09 pmHarris' reason for a request, based on what is known to the general public, doesn't appear to be in the same ballpark as Abron's. Just because Harris didn't do anything "wrong" doesn't mean the waiver requirements should be tossed aside.

I agree there. It's not in the same ballpark. Abron is being rewarded with a waiver for doing right by something irresponsible he did and Harris is applying for a waiver because he wants to be closer to the few remaining close family members he has (I believe just an aunt and a sister). I understand he's from LR, but that's a relatively short drive from Fayetteville. The young man lost his mother almost 2 years ago. He's been through a lot. I think he has a better case than Abron.

HawgAdvocate

September 11, 2012, 03:36:30 pm #48 Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 03:41:37 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on September 11, 2012, 03:04:13 pm
I completely disagree.

Devonta did the right thing, there is no doubt. But he shouldn't be given a waiver for it. Shouldn't get a waiver to play immediately for having an unplanned (I'm assuming) child out of wedlock. He responsibly took care of his irresponsibility. Not waiver-worthy, in my book.

I look at it like this: a death in the family or a terminal illness (cancer, etc) is unplanned just as having a child can be. Not knowing the status of the child's mother, and based off Porked Tongue stating months ago that the child was the main reason he left, I would assume his waiver was granted because she needed Abron to be there to help raise the child (she probably has to work full-time since diapers ain't cheap).

The NCAA shouldn't get involved with how responsible or irresponsible having a child out of wedlock is or isn't. That's not their role. He was granted the transfer waiver seemingly because he needed to go assist with a direct relative's care. Isn't that what the process is intended to do?
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 11, 2012, 03:36:30 pm
I look at it like this: a death in the family or a terminal illness (cancer, etc) is unplanned just as having a child can be. Not knowing the status of the child's mother, and based off Porked Tongue stating months ago that the child was the main reason he left, I would assume his waiver was granted because she needed Abron to be there to help raise the child (she probably has to work full-time since diapers ain't cheap).

The NCAA shouldn't get involved with how responsible or irresponsible having a child out of wedlock is or isn't. He was granted the transfer waiver seemingly because he needed to go assist with a direct relative's care. Isn't that what the process is intended to do?

Having a child should be planned, though, right? I'm not saying the guy shouldn't be allowed to transfer to TCU, I'm saying he shouldn't be allowed to play right away. You're acting as if he can't take care of the kid if he isn't immediately eligible. Nothing's stopping him from taking care of the kid.

There's some precedent (though not exactly the same) for the NCAA giving waivers to players who transfer to be closer to families when serious illness are involved. I'm not sure if there is any precedent for granting a waiver 2 years-post death. I do not think Harris will get the waiver, or at least I didn't before I saw this bologna about Abron getting a waiver. That's my only gripe here - if Abron gets a waiver and Harris doesn't. If they both get one, great. But if one was to get one and the other not, Abron should be the one not getting one.