Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Game 3 update

Started by jjsmitty, August 14, 2012, 01:16:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: Breems on August 15, 2012, 12:54:50 pm
Aside from low post defense, rebounding is a big worry... especially when we lost our leading rebounder over the offseason.  Our guards/perimeter players will have to continue fighting for boards.  Oh, and I know we get the "Mike trades rebounds for steals" and "Mike will never have a true big man" speeches, but I believe even Coach A would prefer a taller roster at this point. 

Luckily, it seems we'll still have decent size across the entire roster to pick up the slack.  As far as low post defense, it will haunt us badly this year.  Mickelson will need to attend a Joe Adams seminar on elusiveness to avoid early foul trouble against SEC teams.
Good thing the Sec is not built with teams that have a bunch of 6 foot 10 guys on their Roster. We match up with just about everyone...

HawgAdvocate

August 15, 2012, 04:15:26 pm #51 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 04:17:00 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: pridgehog on August 15, 2012, 03:21:11 pm
Good thing the Sec is not built with teams that have a bunch of 6 foot 10 guys on their Roster. We match up with just about everyone...

It's just as much about weight as it is height. Ole Miss didn't have anyone over 6'9" on their roster last year, and they owned us inside last year (+35 in boards over two games for Ole Miss).

Bama, LSU, Kentucky, Florida, Tennessee...all have size. And both Buckner and Holloway return for Ole Miss. Mickelson needs a lot of help this season. If and when he gets in foul trouble, the Hogs will be in big trouble.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

azhog10

You play with what you got. Mike is slowly starting to build us quality depth. But it is a process. Mike wasn't left with much size. He's had two solid classes (one credit to pel) and it seems like we are slowly getting that depth that his system requires.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 15, 2012, 05:02:40 pm
You play with what you got. Mike is slowly starting to build us quality depth. But it is a process. Mike wasn't left with much size. He's had two solid classes (one credit to pel) and it seems like we are slowly getting that depth that his system requires.

Just as you recruit and sign what you don't have. Hence why Breems made the initial point to say losing Abron was a big deal regarding interior depth.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Niels Boar

Quote from: Breems on August 15, 2012, 12:54:50 pm
Aside from low post defense, rebounding is a big worry... especially when we lost our leading rebounder over the offseason.  Our guards/perimeter players will have to continue fighting for boards.  Oh, and I know we get the "Mike trades rebounds for steals" and "Mike will never have a true big man" speeches, but I believe even Coach A would prefer a taller roster at this point. 

Luckily, it seems we'll still have decent size across the entire roster to pick up the slack.  As far as low post defense, it will haunt us badly this year.  Mickelson will need to attend a Joe Adams seminar on elusiveness to avoid early foul trouble against SEC teams.

Abron really excelled on the offensive glass, second in the conference, but, because he converted under 40% from the field, that was of dubious benefit. If he adds some muscle and explosiveness, he will be a big plus for some squad, but his defensive rebounding numbers were about the same as Mickelson's and Waithe's.  Madden actually rebounded nearly as well at that end as any of them.  Of course, the Dreb % has to be system weighted.  Clarke shouldn't be much of a dropoff in defensive rebounding and may be an upgrade

As you implied, my guess is that the third and fourth largest player on the floor this season will be bigger, stronger, and more athletic than last season.  At times we had four small guards on the floor last year.  The fourth guard was frequently replaced by a floor-bound forward.  Looks like that will be rare this season if Qualls, Williams, and Powell are ready to contribute.  Hopefuly Madden can earn minutes at PG, too.  The general upgrade in size and athleticism may be a much bigger factor on D than losing a good individual rebounder.  At least that's the optimistic scenario.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 15, 2012, 05:12:45 pm
Just as you recruit and sign what you don't have. Hence why Breems made the initial point to say losing Abron was a big deal regarding interior depth.
Doesn't do you much good when he's on the bench in foul trouble right besides Hunter. Not to mention missing the two foot put backs really don't help your cause. What Abron was, Clarke and Powell will more than make up for. Abron was a load, but his 15 inch vertical didn't help him much. Clarke is very physical and Powell and Clarke both are much more athletic. Am I saying that these guys will be playing the five......not sure, but they will be a factor on the glass.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 15, 2012, 06:55:54 pm
Doesn't do you much good when he's on the bench in foul trouble right besides Hunter. Not to mention missing the two foot put backs really don't help your cause. What Abron was, Clarke and Powell will more than make up for. Abron was a load, but his 15 inch vertical didn't help him much. Clarke is very physical and Powell and Clarke both are much more athletic. Am I saying that these guys will be playing the five......not sure, but they will be a factor on the glass.

He was a frosh coming into his new frame. He added like 40 to 50 pounds in almost two years, and didn't come in with the same hype that the other frosh did...I know, I know...we've discussed this ad nauseum. But his size sure would help clear the paint this year when Hunter isn't in there. Considering all the weight Mick has put on, he too may need some time to adjust.

UNCLE BACK

August 15, 2012, 08:58:25 pm #57 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:01:07 pm by pridgehog
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 15, 2012, 08:35:56 pm
He was a frosh coming into his new frame. He added like 40 to 50 pounds in almost two years, and didn't come in with the same hype that the other frosh did...I know, I know...we've discussed this ad nauseum. But his size sure would help clear the paint this year when Hunter isn't in there. Considering all the weight Mick has put on, he too may need some time to adjust.
When you are trying to press and cause matchup problems on the defensive end, a guy like Abron is plain and simply a liability in Mike's system. I think you are fooling yourself if you think he would have helped this team at all this year. I talked to Abron on many occasions, Ill tell you he was a great young man and I hated to see him go because of that. Sanchez too was a great young man but not a player that would help us get to where Mike wants us to be. I would trade two Abrons for one Coty Clarke. Had Abron stayed he would have seen limited PT!

HawgAdvocate

August 15, 2012, 09:47:44 pm #58 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:52:13 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: pridgehog on August 15, 2012, 08:58:25 pm
When you are trying to press and cause matchup problems on the defensive end, a guy like Abron is plain and simply a liability in Mike's system. I think you are fooling yourself if you think he would have helped this team at all this year. I talked to Abron on many occasions, Ill tell you he was a great young man and I hated to see him go because of that. Sanchez too was a great young man but not a player that would help us get to where Mike wants us to be. I would trade two Abrons for one Coty Clarke. Had Abron stayed he would have seen limited PT!

Don't try and talk to me about pressing and creating matchup problems. Don't sit back and act like a big body can't/won't guard the paint if the press is broken. That'll be Mick's role when we press, just as it will whoever is in for Mick. I don't give a flip who you talked to or how many times you did. You don't have the first clue who I even am, so save your e-ego for someone who cares.

There's a reason we went after the bigs we did late in the spring and summer. You're the one whose fooling yourself if you don't recall that we certainly did want another big body to assist Mick down low this year.

UNCLE BACK

August 15, 2012, 10:17:22 pm #59 Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 11:03:32 pm by pridgehog
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 15, 2012, 09:47:44 pm
Don't try and talk to me about pressing and creating matchup problems. Don't sit back and act like a big body can't/won't guard the paint if the press is broken. That'll be Mick's role when we press, just as it will whoever is in for Mick. I don't give a flip who you talked to or how many times you did. You don't have the first clue who I even am, so save your e-ego for someone who cares.

There's a reason we went after the bigs we did late in the spring and summer. You're the one whose fooling yourself if you don't recall that we certainly did want another big body to assist Mick down low this year.
You are a real tough guy arent you? Your info is freaking garbage! I forgot more while I was asleep last night then you will ever know about Hog Basketball. You need not try and be a tough guy with me little man, I can promise you don't want to start a war with me you pile of nothing! What a freaking moron! Im doubled over laughing right now at how dumb your post was! Abron was no good for Mike's system and anybody with half a brain knows that. Why do you think Mike brought in a 6 foot 8 kid and two 6 foot 7 kids? ( All will be better in Mike's system than Abron) Mickleson and Abron need not be mentioned in the same breath either!!!!!!  I know exactly who you are not, anybody with any connections to Mike and anybody he cares about! Go to Florida so you can visit your sweetheart Failphrey!! MAN WHAT A IDIOTIC POST !!!

Danny J

Quote from: pridgehog on August 15, 2012, 08:58:25 pm

Quote from: pridgehog on August 15, 2012, 10:17:22 pm
You are a real tough guy arent you? Your info is freaking garbage! I forgot more while I was asleep last night then you will ever know about Hog Basketball. You need not try and be a tough guy with me little man, I can promise you don't want to start a war with me you pile of nothing! What a freaking moron! Im doubled over laughing right now at how dumb your post was! Abron was no good for Mike's system and anybody with half a brain knows that. Why do you think Mike brought in a 6 foot 8 kid and two 6 foot 7 kids? ( All will be better in Mike's system than Abron) Mickleson and Abron need not be mentioned in the same breath either!!!!!!  I know exactly who you are not, anybody with any connections to Mike and anybody he cares about! Go to Florida so you can visit your sweetheart Failphrey!! MAN WHAT A IDIOTIC POST !!!
NOW THIS ^^^^ is the the jumpball I know and love!!!

HawgAdvocate

Blah, blah, blah...I'm glad you're so proud of yourself. Talk yourself up all you like on this message board, it doesn't prove a thing to anyone. I could care less what you think of my "info." I'm certainly not posting to gain your approval. You won't find me on here posting about how I spoke to this guy or that guy, as if I'm hoping to convince this board that I'm someone special. No one gives a flip about any of that, other than you of course.

You can continue to ignore the fact that we recruited and offered 6'11", 235lb Mouhamadou Jaiteh and 6'11" 250lb Bradley Hayes after Abron left, and we can be sure there were certainly others. Mike wanted another big body on the roster. Fact.  You can play pretend all you want, but common sense and factual history say otherwise.

Ray Piggers

HAHAHA

Wow.. He called him little man.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 15, 2012, 08:35:56 pm
The only thing abron would be able to clear, is the food in the buffet line. Abron didn't play to his size, and was out of his element here. Abron had plenty of hype coming in. Many were talking about how he could be the best of the bunch and after the UCONN game there were plenty more singing his praise. However it seemed like after that game, whoever it was that got all those boards, disappeared and we never saw that again. You don't keep a guy around because he had one good game out of 30. Not to mention if he would have stayed, Coty Clarke probably never would have been offered. I'd take Coty Clarke over Abron any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Dogtown Donkey

azhog10

Mick and Abron are two totally different players on defense. Mick has an ability to alter shots, Abron did not. Abron is no more effective on the back end of the press as sticking Brandon Mitchell back there. Both are only useful because they have 5 fouls to give. Mickelson is quite different because he can block shots and has done a decent job of altering shots as a freshmen. Abron was not that type of defender.

azhog10

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 09:24:04 am
Mick and Abron are two totally different players on defense. Mick has an ability to alter shots, Abron did not. Abron is no more effective on the back end of the press as sticking Brandon Mitchell back there. Both are only useful because they have 5 fouls to give. Mickelson is quite different because he can block shots and has done a decent job of altering shots as a freshmen. Abron was not that type of defender.

Regardless of how effective he may or may not have been, that would still be his role just as it would any defender on the floor who is playing the 5 during the press. Mickelson isn't out there "creating matchup problems" any more than Abron would have been in that situation. That was the point.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 09:21:39 am
The only thing abron would be able to clear, is the food in the buffet line. Abron didn't play to his size, and was out of his element here. Abron had plenty of hype coming in. Many were talking about how he could be the best of the bunch and after the UCONN game there were plenty more singing his praise. However it seemed like after that game, whoever it was that got all those boards, disappeared and we never saw that again. You don't keep a guy around because he had one good game out of 30. Not to mention if he would have stayed, Coty Clarke probably never would have been offered. I'd take Coty Clarke over Abron any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

People's opinions on Hogville matter little in the grand scheme of things...as DD posted above, far too many go "full retard" on topics they know nothing about.  Even though Abron was a top 100-150 recruit, he  was the lowest ranked recruit out of last year's class. Far too many of you lose sight of that. Madden struggled, Mickelson struggled, Abron struggled. They're freshman. Most freshman struggle.

The guy was 210 pounds after his junior year of high school. He needed time to adjust to playing at 250 pounds, just as anyone else would (especially as a freshman). No one is arguing against Coty Clarke, and you continue to miss the point of this conversation.

We were discussing the need for added size (PORTIS, KINGSLEY!!!) because we lost Abron, leaving Mick as our only real size in the paint. And, of course, some of you went "full retard," as usual.

Dogtown Donkey

I would have liked to see Abron back if he re-distributed the weight he gained. It seemed like he just packed pounds on without regard to adding proper bulk watching him last season. He didn't look anything like the type of player he was in college athletically. But, alas, it matters not now. I think he could have been a useful player in this system if he worked on his body. I think another offseason in our strength and conditioning program would have done wonders.

Freshman Abron and that body was a horrible fit for our system, but a version more similar to what he looked like in HS would have been a different story. It'll be interesting to see what his body looks like at TCU, though that will largely depend on what they want his body to look like. But it's unfair to act like we're missing out on anything good in Abron by judging him on a rough freshman year. Struggles included, it could be argued that Abron had a greater impact on the team than Madden did. Point is, you have to give a freshman a chance to redeem himself as a sophomore.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 09:29:20 am
Regardless of how effective he may or may not have been, that would still be his role just as it would any defender on the floor who is playing the 5 during the press. Mickelson isn't out there "creating matchup problems" any more than Abron would have been in that situation. That was the point.
Agree to disagree. Mickelson would be quite different playing the 5 in the press vs. Abron

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 09:38:45 am
People's opinions on Hogville matter little in the grand scheme of things...as DD posted above, far too many go "full retard" on topics they know nothing about.  Even though Abron was a top 100-150 recruit, he  was the lowest ranked recruit out of last year's class. Far too many of you lose sight of that. Madden struggled, Mickelson struggled, Abron struggled. They're freshman. Most freshman struggle.

The guy was 210 pounds after his junior year of high school. He needed time to adjust to playing at 250 pounds, just as anyone else would (especially as a freshman). No one is arguing against Coty Clarke, and you continue to miss the point of this conversation.

We were discussing the need for added size (PORTIS, KINGSLEY!!!) because we lost Abron, leaving Mick as our only real size in the paint. And, of course, some of you went "full retard," as usual.
Excuse me! Didn't realize that disagreeing with you means going full retard. If you want to talk about adding size (Portis, Kingsley) then we can talk about next year's group if you'd like? This was about losing Abron and what if anything was lost when he left. Obviously most teams would love to have a 6'8 265lb Center......unfortunately when you are going up and down like our team does, if he can't be a consistent  rebounder, and make layups and stay out of foul trouble what good is he? Honestly this is pretty simple. You say you aren't arguing against Coty Clarke. However if Abron would have stayed Coty Clarke would not be here. I can tell you without a doubt that's a fact. So if you aren't arguing against Coty Clarke, then you can't really defend keeping Abron. It was one or the other.

I'm not going full retard or whatever you'd like to call it. Just giving my point of view. Sorry if you don't agree. But don't try to be little individuals that aren't attacking you. It comes off as a little insecure.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 09:51:00 am
Agree to disagree. Mickelson would be quite different playing the 5 in the press vs. Abron

Context, context, context. Whether we're in the 2-2-1 or FC Man, Abron and Mickelson's role would be the same.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 09:56:15 am
Excuse me! Didn't realize that disagreeing with you means going full retard. If you want to talk about adding size (Portis, Kingsley) then we can talk about next year's group if you'd like? This was about losing Abron and what if anything was lost when he left. Obviously most teams would love to have a 6'8 265lb Center......unfortunately when you are going up and down like our team does, if he can't be a consistent  rebounder, and make layups and stay out of foul trouble what good is he? Honestly this is pretty simple. You say you aren't arguing against Coty Clarke. However if Abron would have stayed Coty Clarke would not be here. I can tell you without a doubt that's a fact. So if you aren't arguing against Coty Clarke, then you can't really defend keeping Abron. It was one or the other.

I'm not going full retard or whatever you'd like to call it. Just giving my point of view. Sorry if you don't agree. But don't try to be little individuals that aren't attacking you. It comes off as a little insecure.

We had an extra scholarship, remember? Remember us chasing Jaiteh into the summer? Losing Abron wouldn't have kept us from getting Clarke.

You ignored the context of what was being said and went into full Abron attack mode for no good reason.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 10:36:36 am
We had an extra scholarship, remember? Remember us chasing Jaiteh into the summer? Losing Abron wouldn't have kept us from getting Clarke.

You ignored the context of what was being said and went into full Abron attack mode for no good reason.
I understand we had a scholly. I also understand that unless we could get a top rated center like Hayes and Jaiteh we weren't going to use it. Was more of a false hope that we had lost a shot at Kingsley. Things changed and the staff see's Mosley as much in play and would rather save that scholly for him. Not to mention we have Harris who may or may not play this year. The thought was take a chance on harris being elgible, and save the scholly for Kingsley. Not a bad idea in my opinion....of course if we don't get Kingsley that opinion may change.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 10:48:45 am
I understand we had a scholly. I also understand that unless we could get a top rated center like Hayes and Jaiteh we weren't going to use it. Was more of a false hope that we had lost a shot at Kingsley. Things changed and the staff see's Mosley as much in play and would rather save that scholly for him. Not to mention we have Harris who may or may not play this year. The thought was take a chance on harris being elgible, and save the scholly for Kingsley. Not a bad idea in my opinion....of course if we don't get Kingsley that opinion may change.

Top rated center?? Neither Hayes nor Jaiteh was considered a top rated center. ESPN had Hayes rated as the 26th best player in his STATE.

We simply wanted depth in the interior, as most others did who waited that late to fill in the blanks with who was still out there and available. Having adequate depth on the interior was the original focus of this discussion, prior to the pointless Abron bashfest.

azhog10

August 16, 2012, 11:41:40 am #76 Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 11:45:11 am by azhog10
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 10:55:02 am
Top rated center?? Neither Hayes nor Jaiteh was considered a top rated center. ESPN had Hayes rated as the 26th best player in his STATE.

We simply wanted depth in the interior, as most others did who waited that late to fill in the blanks with who was still out there and available. Having adequate depth on the interior was the original focus of this discussion, prior to the pointless Abron bashfest.
When we started looking there were only a couple guys that would have been considered a solid pickup. Hayes and Jaiteh were those guys. My use of the phrase top center was not to be taken as a top 5 in their position. They were some of the tops in their position available at the time. Not to mention they had slight interest. You are still dodging the point that if we keep Abron we would have no Coty Clarke. If you want to call it an Abron bash fast that's fine, I didn't bring Abron into this discussion. Only disagreed that we will miss his services. If my assessment of his play is considered bashing in your mind then so be it. No sweat off my back.

If there's one person I expect to question Coach Anderson and what he's doing at the hill it'd be yourself. Funny how this year you decide that we may be too thin up front. Not the years prior......

Nipsey Mussle

You guys love arguing moot points lol.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 11:41:40 am
When we started looking there were only a couple guys that would have been considered a solid pickup. Hayes and Jaiteh were those guys. My use of the phrase top center was not to be taken as a top 5 in their position. They were some of the tops in their position available at the time. Not to mention they had slight interest. You are still dodging the point that if we keep Abron we would have no Coty Clarke. If you want to call it an Abron bash fast that's fine, I didn't bring Abron into this discussion. Only disagreed that we will miss his services. If my assessment of his play is considered bashing in your mind then so be it. No sweat off my back.

If there's one person I expect to question Coach Anderson and what he's doing at the hill it'd be yourself. Funny how this year you decide that we may be too thin up front. Not the years prior......

Again, we had an extra scholarship. We didn't have to boot Abron just to land Clarke. You're not making a point that I have to dodge.

LOL...where is anyone questioning MA? Jesus H...funny how "I decide??" It's not like interior depth wasn't a known concern as soon as let Abron walk last spring. HENCE WHY WE RECRUITED HAYES AND JAITEH! Helllooo McFly!!

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 12:07:36 pm
Again, we had an extra scholarship. We didn't have to boot Abron just to land Clarke. You're not making a point that I have to dodge.

LOL...where is anyone questioning MA? Jesus H...funny how "I decide??" It's not like interior depth wasn't a known concern as soon as let Abron walk last spring. HENCE WHY WE RECRUITED HAYES AND JAITEH! Helllooo McFly!!
I believe we signed Clarke before Abron even left.  Clarke may have just been an oral committ but the truth is, Abron was home sick plus he and Coach Anderson both felt like he was not a great fit for our  system. Id say that Michael Qualls will be a pretty good guy to defend the back of the press and I read where Dudley Dawson said Jacorey Williams has been real tough to shoot over in Italy because he is so Long. I am not going to sit here and say I would not love to have a couple Delvon Johnson type big guys to defend and rebound but I just think we will be much better off with these Quick and Athletic 6 foot 7 and 6 foot 8 guys Mike brought in than if we had to depend on Abron like we did last year. I think we upgraded on Offense and defense with the Forwards Mike brought in.  Only time will tell!

UNCLE BACK

That team we beat twice over in Italy had 3 7 footers on it according to Dudley and he said Qualls, Clarke and Mickleson did a very good job guarding those guys. That was really good to hear. Having a Vertical over 40 inches like Qualls does and having a 7 foot 1 wingspan will help with not being quite as tall too.

Cresthog

"You want it to be one way.... But it's the other way."

HawgAdvocate

August 16, 2012, 01:21:24 pm #82 Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:25:25 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Cresthog on August 16, 2012, 01:13:30 pm
"You want it to be one way.... But it's the other way."

Abron was released on 5/15.

Clarke committed on 5/9.

It's not that hard to understand.  Props for the Marlo quote.

azhog10

Abron was known to be gone before Clarke was signed. We've been thin at that spot for quite some time. Like I said at that time it seemed like Kingsley wasn't going to be an option so we were looking to use that scholly with someone for this year. When things changed and Jaiteh looked like less of a possibility and Kingsley became more in play the decision was easy. Yes we knew we were thin before Abron, and we went and got Clarke.

You've made your comments in different threads. I have no qualms and expect it coming from you.

azhog10

Quote from: pridgehog on August 16, 2012, 12:16:53 pm
I believe we signed Clarke before Abron even left.  Clarke may have just been an oral committ but the truth is, Abron was home sick plus he and Coach Anderson both felt like he was not a great fit for our  system. Id say that Michael Qualls will be a pretty good guy to defend the back of the press and I read where Dudley Dawson said Jacorey Williams has been real tough to shoot over in Italy because he is so Long. I am not going to sit here and say I would not love to have a couple Delvon Johnson type big guys to defend and rebound but I just think we will be much better off with these Quick and Athletic 6 foot 7 and 6 foot 8 guys Mike brought in than if we had to depend on Abron like we did last year. I think we upgraded on Offense and defense with the Forwards Mike brought in.  Only time will tell!
You may not have known Abron was leaving before that date but the coaching staff was well aware before Clarke committed that Abron was leaving. It was a forgone conclusion.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 01:21:24 pm

Clarke committed on 5/9.

Haha, you don't think the coaches knew before 5/15 he was leaving? I know you are quite a bit smarter than that HA. You know enough people around the hill to find out that this staff knew long before 5/9 that he was going back home.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 02:44:10 pm
Abron was known to be gone before Clarke was signed. We've been thin at that spot for quite some time. Like I said at that time it seemed like Kingsley wasn't going to be an option so we were looking to use that scholly with someone for this year. When things changed and Jaiteh looked like less of a possibility and Kingsley became more in play the decision was easy. Yes we knew we were thin before Abron, and we went and got Clarke.

You've made your comments in different threads. I have no qualms and expect it coming from you.
Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 02:47:09 pm
Haha, you don't think the coaches knew before 5/15 he was leaving? I know you are quite a bit smarter than that HA. You know enough people around the hill to find out that this staff knew long before 5/9 that he was going back home.

That still does not change the fact that we did not have to let Abron leave just to get Clarke (as you claimed). We still had a scholarship opening. I don't know why you feel the two events are exclusive to one another.

Your reasoning to bring up Kingsley in this is pointless. It has nothing to do with signing Clarke. It's been the main point all along that we don't have much interior depth to speak of. Whether it's Abron, or Hayes, or Jaiteh, or Kingsley...it's no secret that the staff knew/knows we need another true interior presence. I didn't just decide this on my own. We've all discussed it for months now.

HootieHaterfromALA

I bet if someone put a cheeseburger on the rim Abron could get up there!!

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 03:52:52 pm
That still does not change the fact that we did not have to let Abron leave just to get Clarke (as you claimed). We still had a scholarship opening. I don't know why you feel the two events are exclusive to one another.

Your reasoning to bring up Kingsley in this is pointless. It has nothing to do with signing Clarke. It's been the main point all along that we don't have much interior depth to speak of. Whether it's Abron, or Hayes, or Jaiteh, or Kingsley...it's no secret that the staff knew/knows we need another true interior presence. I didn't just decide this on my own. We've all discussed it for months now.
It's so easy to understand but I know you will refute so it's pointless. The staff had two choices sign a guy for this coming season and lose a scholarship for the 2013 class or hold on to it and get a more quality guy. Could we have held on to Abron one more year? Maybe. What's the point of keeping a kid knowing he wants to go home and will get minimum playing time and is absolutely out of his element? Yeah we play thin for this season assuming Harris doesn't get his waiver. But if that means a possible Kinglsey Portis tandem along with whatever guard/wing we use as the third in that class I'd say it was a smart decision.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 04:26:23 pm
It's so easy to understand but I know you will refute so it's pointless. The staff had two choices sign a guy for this coming season and lose a scholarship for the 2013 class or hold on to it and get a more quality guy. Could we have held on to Abron one more year? Maybe. What's the point of keeping a kid knowing he wants to go home and will get minimum playing time and is absolutely out of his element? Yeah we play thin for this season assuming Harris doesn't get his waiver. But if that means a possible Kinglsey Portis tandem along with whatever guard/wing we use as the third in that class I'd say it was a smart decision.
DING DING DING!!!!!  We have a winner!

HawgAdvocate

August 16, 2012, 04:41:03 pm #90 Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 04:58:03 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 09:21:39 am
Not to mention if he would have stayed, Coty Clarke probably never would have been offered.

Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 09:56:15 am
You say you aren't arguing against Coty Clarke. However if Abron would have stayed Coty Clarke would not be here. I can tell you without a doubt that's a fact. So if you aren't arguing against Coty Clarke, then you can't really defend keeping Abron. It was one or the other.
Quote from: azhog10 on August 16, 2012, 11:41:40 am
You are still dodging the point that if we keep Abron we would have no Coty Clarke.

Again (and again, and again, and again)....we had Clarke committed before we offered Hayes and Jaiteh. We didn't need to boot Abron in order to get Clarke, as you claimed as "fact." We still had an opening to offer up for the 2012 class after Clarke committed (thanks to Abron).

You can keep changing your message all you want, and try as hard as you can to put the focus on Kingsley here. Not one time have I argued against the history of Kingsley, Jaiteh, or Hayes. Hell, if anything, I brought them all to the table in this conversation.

No one said Abron should have stayed. No one blamed MA for running anyone off. The point was made that we're thin on the inside because Abron left. MA and staff knew that, hence why they went after Hayes and Jaiteh. Nothing but the facts.

You're arguing with yourself when you need to simply admit you were wrong about your Clarke and Abron claims.

azhog10

August 16, 2012, 06:42:38 pm #91 Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 06:44:34 pm by azhog10
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 04:41:03 pm
Again (and again, and again, and again)....we had Clarke committed before we offered Hayes and Jaiteh. We didn't need to boot Abron in order to get Clarke, as you claimed as "fact." We still had an opening to offer up for the 2012 class after Clarke committed (thanks to Abron).

You can keep changing your message all you want, and try as hard as you can to put the focus on Kingsley here. Not one time have I argued against the history of Kingsley, Jaiteh, or Hayes. Hell, if anything, I brought them all to the table in this conversation.

No one said Abron should have stayed. No one blamed MA for running anyone off. The point was made that we're thin on the inside because Abron left. MA and staff knew that, hence why they went after Hayes and Jaiteh. Nothing but the facts.

You're arguing with yourself when you need to simply admit you were wrong about your Clarke and Abron claims.
I'm not at all wrong about the Clarke and Abron claims. If Abron stays (hence the staff fights to keep him) Clarke doesn't get an offer. I'm well aware that Clarke commited before Abron left. I'm also aware that even with Abron and Clarke on the team we were still looking for a big guy. Heave forbid someone look ahead. It's really simple:

Abron: "Coach A I'm thinking about transferring back home"

Coach A: "Sorry to hear that son, we hate to see you go, but we won't get in your way if that's how you feel. Finish up classes and think about it."

Abron: "Thanks coach, I will get back to you."
Abron leaves....

Coach A: "TJ, let's pull the string on Clarke and let's really look at a big in this class"

TJ: "Ok coach, how do you want to do this?"

Coach A: "Let's look around and see if there's a big body worth grabbing up, also let's consider if we use that scholly what we will be losing next year. We want two bigs and wing for the '13 class. If we grab a big now we will only take one in '13."

a couple weeks later Abron comes back

Abron: "Coach A I see you signed another guy, I'm gonna transfer to TCU if you will give me a release.

Coach A: "I understand, we appreciate your time and effort and wish you the best of luck!"

weeks later TJ comes back

TJ: "Coach the guys we are looking at aren't really as good as Moses Kingsley"

Coach A: "Do we have a shot?"

TJ: "We have a really really good shot at Moses, or we can grab the best big body we can find for this season, which way you want to go?"

Coach A: "Are you dumb boy? If Moses is in play let's part the red sea for him!!"

TJ: "Aight' coach"

iluvmyslute89

this whole argument is juvenile in nature.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 16, 2012, 07:50:23 pm
Oh you mean, "You don't know who I am!!" and "Let's fight little man!!" are the words of juveniles? I was thinking keyboard cowboys but you may be closer

HawgAdvocate

Have fun with your hypothetical, make-believe conversations AZ.

iluvmyslute89

either way, its only fitting we post a.ziffles infamous tough guy quote

Cresthog

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on August 16, 2012, 01:21:24 pm

Clarke committed on 5/9.

I was backing you actually.

We'll miss Abron THIS YEAR but in the grand scheme his schollie is probably better used elsewhere.

Better let him go if the writing is on the wall than waste his career as a plug when he clearly doesn't fit in that well system wise.

Danny J

Quote from: The Pig of destiny on August 16, 2012, 07:50:23 pm
You should have been in jumpball around december of 2009. After losing home games to ETSU, morgan state and south bama this board just about came apart at the seams. It was epic.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Cresthog on August 16, 2012, 09:11:32 pm
I was backing you actually.

We'll miss Abron THIS YEAR but in the grand scheme his schollie is probably better used elsewhere.

Better let him go if the writing is on the wall than waste his career as a plug when he clearly doesn't fit in that well system wise.

I wasn't attacking you with my post. Just a summation of two pages of repeating the same basic fact.

No one has said that Abron needed to stay. Merely discussing how his departure hurt our interior depth was taken like an insult to one's mother by some on here. It's amazing how so few can grasp the basic context of a discussion without going "full retard." I love that label. It's quite fitting for some on here.

Porked Tongue

And there's the horn.

Folks, I ain't playing.  This JB forum isn't hellbound.