Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All-time Best Razorback to sit the Bench (Basketball)

Started by hogtheball, February 06, 2006, 06:43:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogtheball

February 06, 2006, 06:43:16 pm Last Edit: February 06, 2006, 06:50:30 pm by hogtheball
Since we're arguing about PT for hoop players, I thought it might be fun to remember the all-time best benched B-ball players.  My vote is for Phillip McKellar!  He led the team in point/minute, assists/minute, rebounds/minute, and rarely got more than 12 or 15 minutes in a game.
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

Yoko Oinko

I remember Phillip McKeller, not Carl.

I have to give props to Keenan Debose.  Sweet Jeri Curl do.  Looked like El Debarge.
"Every time Pam Anderson and Paul McCartney go on a PETA crusade i am going to kill ten of something." - Ted Nugent

fred ziffel

"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

hogtheball

Thanks.  Carl played for OBU when I was on the football team.  Not near as good as Phillip. 
Did you hear about the dyslexic agnostic with insomnia? He laid awake all night wondering if there really was a dog.

VoR

My money has to go with Hawkins, he could shot outside, do a lil bangin inside, and if they dared foul him he was as close to automatic as I think you can get, the 1 year I think he missed free throw shooting crown by like 5 or 6 attempts.
From BC comic.
Fat Broad "What is the most flagrant oxymoron you've ever heard?"
Blond Chick "Politically correct".

You cannot brag about being selfless if you're doing it only to impress someone.

The_Bionic_Pig

This guy cause he seemed to stay hurt all the time -

ROGER CRAWFORD
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BloodRedHog

Crawford is a good choice...or

Lenzie Howell... :razorback:
Handling all your mortgage and home financing needs...

hogtheball

Lenzie Howell was a starter - JUCO transfer.  He was my favorite player on that team.  He played about 26 minutes a game in 88-89 and 89-90. Averaged 14 pts. and 6 boards.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

johnny cash

Lenzie Howell was a great player.  He tore it up against Texas in the SWC tourn.  Cannon whitby could shoot the lights out.  He was nolans savior with 20 seconds left in the game down by 20 go to guy.

1836hog

Quote from: hogtheball on February 06, 2006, 06:50:57 pm
Thanks.  Carl played for OBU when I was on the football team.  Not near as good as Phillip. 

hogtheball, what year did you play ball at OBU?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: 1836hog on February 06, 2006, 08:22:26 pm
Quote from: hogtheball on February 06, 2006, 06:50:57 pm

hogtheball, what year did you play ball at OBU?

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

pigfeet

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: pigfeet on February 06, 2006, 08:32:53 pm
AL DILLARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES.  I was at the game when he hit 12 three pointers. :D

SAUhogfan

Antwon Hall.  I think he actually sucked, but could do some Jordanesque dunks if I remember correctly. 

1836hog

Quote from: abostian on February 06, 2006, 09:07:55 pm

Delaware State?  I think he put up 39 points.  Dillard was shooting from the pigs snout.

hogtheball

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: 1836hog on February 06, 2006, 09:10:31 pm

Delaware State?  I think he put up 39 points.  Dillard was shooting from the pigs snout.

Yep.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

pfrg999

I still Have the Game on Video... Hell I have the entire 93-94 and 94-95
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hogtheball

Oh my Gosh - smite me for forgetting the Poerschkemeister!!!  I'd smite myself if I could.  That guy was Arkansas' Kurt Rambus.  The hardest working benchman ever.

Broken Trigger

I remember Poerschke and Cannon Whitby both coming out of high school average right at 40 pts. a game.   It was just amazing!

ENHOG

Dillard was instant offense, He would rarely miss a three!  He was also in range when he walked in the building.  He was seriously a man among boys.  Really I think he was like 26 or 27 playing with 18 and 19 year olds.
\\\"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - and most fools do.\\\"

rricha

Robert "BIG ROB" Brannon
The late Robert Kitchens
MIke Conley

LA HAWG

razorbackdan

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 06, 2006, 09:22:23 pm

I still Have the Game on Video... Hell I have the entire 93-94 and 94-95

Didn't he score like 16 points in a 90 second span in that game, or was that against someone else? I also remember him actually bouncing one off the court, off the backback and two hand slam it against someone else in a game. Without a doubt, my favorite Hog 6th Man ever.

pokeydaman

gotta agree....Al Dillard.  I mean, who else can come off the bench and score 39 points? for that matter...who can score 39 points period? yep, saw the 13 3-pointers, saw the bounce off the floor, off the backboard, alley-oop to himself...also saw Nolan jerk his rear end out of the game for it too!!! now thats coach control!

pigfeet

Quote from: Porky OLeary on February 07, 2006, 04:21:19 am
tony brown

Could this be a vote for the " Downtown " Tony Brown? Just like Dillard, he had great range. Just 2 different eras

clew

wow...i miss those days.  and pokey's right.  it was 13 3pt shots.  i was there.  They were trying to let him get the record but he ran out of gas towards the end.  i think he was only 1 or 2 threes shy of the ncaa record at the time.  at one point he was like 11 of 13 or something sick like that but his percentage tailed off to about 70% for the game.

i also remember them doing a special about him on KATV.  I don't remember who the top B-ball player (shooter) in arkansas was that year, but they had him matched up against Dillard.  The kid hit 7 of 10 three's and Dillard hit 9 of 10...left handed (not bad for a right handed player).  Absolutely my favorite all time bench guy at Arkansas.
Pure as the dawn

GorillaJMonsoon

hoggystyle78

hogtheball

Tony Brown and Keith Peterson were great, but both were starters.  Tony Brown actually played in the NBA for awhile.

hoggystyle78

TennesseeRaz

hogtheball

All-time Bench Team:

Stephan Moore, Eric Poerschke, Davor Rimac, Phillip McKellar, Sean McCurdy at point.  Al Dillard and Eugene Nash of the bench (even the all-time bench team has to have some fire off the bench).

runhogsrun

I did like Lee Wilson.  He did well when he was in the game.  I liked his work ethic.
Great Expectations

1836hog

Quote from: runhogsrun on February 07, 2006, 10:29:55 am
I did like Lee Wilson.  He did well when he was in the game.  I liked his work ethic.

Lee Wilson could have dominated in a different program with his size and ability.  He just wasn't a good fit for our system.

CIA

Quote from: dude on February 06, 2006, 07:02:29 pm
James "rocket" Crockett
I grew up in West Helena so this name brings back memories.  I remember his senior year in HS, West Helena was playing Blytheville.  It was billed as Crocket vs ( I think the kids name was Isbell?).  I remember the stands were packed and rowdy.  Eddie Sutton and Dana Kirk (Memphis State) were there along with a slew of other coaches.  Crocket and the Isbell kid were both 6'9 and went at it.  Crocket had the talent but was lazy as could be and not the brightest crayon in the box.
"Tradition is the last bastion of hope for present day losers"....ME!

WindyCityHog

Eugene Nash....from small Tyronza...when he was in, you knew the game was over.

Alan (sp?) Zahn and Steve Stroud.  Both were prominent in those late 70's teams, but were clearly overshadowed by the Triplets.  Sadly, I remembering hearing that Stroud passed away a few years ago....

arkfanchip

the best in my opinion was me, i was the towel boy. i later moved up to jock straps. they were small and smelled really bad. i had an injury that forced my retirement. rollin nolan, after watching the WATERBOY, got the crazy idea to give me a try-out, oliver miller got hungery and ate my arm off.

hogken

one fist is iron the other is steel,if the right one dont get you,the left one will!