Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

GAME THREAD: Arkansas Razorbacks @ Ole Miss

Started by Razorbacks#1, January 11, 2012, 06:32:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorbacks#1

"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

SteveInArk

Gotta do better on the boards any game.  Let alone on the road.  Next game, Go Hogs.
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Hogz87

Quote from: nebhog70 on January 11, 2012, 09:13:23 pm
Rebounding was worse than terrible

Exactly.  All other things aside, this loss ultimately boils down to how we were murdered on the glass by Ole Miss.  Ole Miss had a +24 rebounding advantage.

fred ziffel

January 11, 2012, 09:17:02 pm #703 Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:19:34 pm by fred ziffel
Not that it matters but Anderson was right about the fact that ole miss did not touch ball on the in bounds
"Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs."

HF#1

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:14:25 pm
Were you not prepared for that all season?

Have you bothered to look at our lineup?

I don't buy this.  When you get out rebounded by 20, something is wrong.  Yes we don't have the biggest team but the gap shouldn't be that wide.  We just don't bring the effort on the road and it's frustrating as hell.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Golfer

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:13:49 pm
No joke.

They still played hard.

And absolutely didn't give up.

This would be 20+ pt loss last year.

In the record books,does it distinguish between a 20 point loss and an 8 point loss?

The Hogfather

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:13:49 pm
No joke.

They still played hard.

And absolutely didn't give up.

This would be 20+ pt loss last year.

We lost by 10 last year.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Hog_One_Stop on January 11, 2012, 09:12:48 pm
Do we not know how to block out??????????????  Come on guys

Y'all better get used to that aspect. It's been a point if contention with every Nolan coached team.  Even his best teams were frustrating on the boards.

That said, filling up the basket makes getting beat on the boards much less of a factor.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Cresthog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 11, 2012, 09:17:15 pm
I don't buy this.  When you get out rebounded by 20, something is wrong.  Yes we don't have the biggest team but the gap shouldn't be that wide.  We just don't bring the effort on the road and it's frustrating as hell.

It happens, especially with a young, smorgisborg of a team.

HF#1

All of you claiming that our lineup is the reason for us getting embarrassed on the boards are full of it.  You should never get beat like that on the boards.  We have guys that can rebound if they want too.  They didn't want too tonight.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Hogz87

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:14:25 pm
Were you not prepared for that all season?

Have you bothered to look at our lineup?

I'm certainly not too surprised by it.  We had a line-up of four guards and Waithe or Sanchez for most of the second half.

Cresthog

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 11, 2012, 09:17:26 pm
We lost by 10 last year.

We also rebounded much better, had a a senior big man and Rotnei just happened to drop 26.

We also shot better FTs.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hawgrox on January 11, 2012, 09:14:18 pm
We did not get embarrassed....unless you call losing by 8 on the road  embarrassing.
Losing to Ole Miss anytime, anywhere is embarrassing.  Period.  Especially this Ole Miss team.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:21:11 pm
We also rebounded much better, had a a senior big man and Rotnei just happened to drop 26.

We also shot better FTs.

And?  We didn't have BJ, Ky, Mike Anderson, etc.

Cresthog

Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 11, 2012, 09:19:00 pm
All of you claiming that our lineup is the reason for us getting embarrassed on the boards are full of it.  You should never get beat like that on the boards.  We have guys that can rebound if they want too.  They didn't want too tonight.

And Ole Miss did.

What's your point?

Go ahead and spit, ain't going to change anything.

When the game is being called like that, its understandable the guys had to quit being as physical as they are used to.

Hence why we won't have trouble winning at home.

BassinHawg

Exactly, if you can dunk you can rebound.  They need to get off their duff and hustle for rebounds.

Yeah, you will miss a few but tonight was ridiculous.
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

Cresthog

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 11, 2012, 09:22:36 pm

BJ and Ky are good, but I'd take a pure shooter and a solid mean big man over them at this point.

Coondog Hog

They have to learn how to adjust and overcome when the shots aren't falling.  They aren't just born doing it. 
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

Hogz87

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 11, 2012, 09:22:36 pm

Two freshmen guards aren't going to help on the boards and you never know how they're going to play in their first SEC road game.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:23:19 pm
BJ and Ky are good, but I'd take a pure shooter and a solid mean big man over them at this point.

I'd take Stockton and Malone.  Are we making wishlists?

You said we would've lost this game by 20 last year and we lost by 10.

DeepFreeze

Quote from: Cresthog on January 11, 2012, 09:23:19 pm

Yeah but Clarke and Powell ain't here.

Gotta play with what we got.

HF#1

Quote from: Coondog Hog on January 11, 2012, 09:24:00 pm
They have to learn how to adjust and overcome when the shots aren't falling.  They aren't just born doing it. 

There are players that have been here for four years.  They should know this.  I just expected something other than what I've seen the last 8 years.  We still lost to a team that we are better than.  It's incredibly frustrating.

Wild Bill Hog

Young team on the road.  This will happen a bunch this year.  Expect it.  We won't be young next year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Hogz87 on January 11, 2012, 09:25:03 pm
Two freshmen guards aren't going to help on the boards and you never know how they're going to play in their first SEC road game.

Did you see the game?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 11, 2012, 09:30:47 pm
Young team on the road.  This will happen a bunch this year.  Expect it.  We won't be young next year.

I don't think age had anything to do with it. Ole Miss was far less talented, and  isn't exactly stocked with seniors. We didn't do enough to negate their rebounding advantage.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 11, 2012, 09:26:47 pm
There are players that have been here for four years.  They should know this.  I just expected something other than what I've seen the last 8 years.  We still lost to a team that we are better than.  It's incredibly frustrating.

Exactly.  This isn't an attack on our coach.  I'm just sick and fricking tired of losing to worse teams than us on the road.  I know it is going to happen from time to time, but with us it happens everytime.  I bet we don't win more than 1 road game this year.  That's sad.  I'm tired of it.

HF#1

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 11, 2012, 09:41:59 pm
Exactly.  This isn't an attack on our coach.  I'm just sick and fricking tired of losing to worse teams than us on the road.  I know it is going to happen from time to time, but with us it happens everytime.  I bet we don't win more than 1 road game this year.  That's sad.  I'm tired of it.

If we are better, the arena we play in shouldn't matter.  It was a convenient excuse under the previous coaches.  I refused to accept it then and I'll refuse to accept it now.

RICKHOGHEAD

Well wishful thinking on my part. I really thought we could win this road game and start getting road confidence but oh well it is what it is a very young team that will learn from this. Go Hogs!

rude1

The hard part of all this is that it isn't just this team that has everyone so frustrated it is a continuous of what we have been seeing for the last decade. A good win followed by let down, when there should have been an opportunity to build upon that win.

Unless this team learns how defend in the half court, they are going to struggle more. We were lucky to have beaten MState because they still shot over 50% for the game, if it hadn't been for us shooting the ball better than we normally do and getting the turnovers, we lose that one. Again tonight, without looking at the stats OM probably shot the ball at a similar clip, and if you take out their woeful performance from behind the arc, the field goal percentage would probably be even more impressive. For all the talk of defense, teams are having their way once they break the pressure and get into the half court.

The Hogfather

January 11, 2012, 10:02:42 pm #730 Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:05:15 pm by The Hogfather
Prediction:  We beat Ole Miss by 20+ when they come to our place.

Why shouldn't I be frustrated at a 30-point swing because of a gym change?  So tired of it.

Wild Bill Hog

If anyone is expecting us to out rebound other teams on a consistent basis, they never saw NR's teams play.

cityhog

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 11, 2012, 09:30:47 pm

We've been young for 10 years. Old tired excuse. KY went to the final 4 with a team of freshman. This was a shining example of the lack of discipline that I've griped about with MA coached teams. Discipline and an absolute aversion to rebounding. 3 coaches later and we still can't win against teams who play zone against us. The effort just was not there tonight.

The Hogfather

January 11, 2012, 10:10:11 pm #733 Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:14:01 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on January 11, 2012, 10:06:48 pm
If anyone is expecting us to out rebound other teams on a consistent basis, they never saw NR's teams play.

I don't think you can find me one person who expects us to outrebound many other teams.  How about close to even?

HF#1

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 11, 2012, 10:02:42 pm
Prediction:  We beat Ole Miss by 20+ when they come to our place.

Why shouldn't I be frustrated at a 30-point swing because of a gym change?  So tired of it.

HawgAdvocate

Getting outboarded is one thing.

Get destroyed on the boards is another. :(

We had only 22 boards. Ole Miss more than doubled us at 46.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HF#1

We should build a practice facility that has the exact courts of the other 11 teams in the SEC.  We should have a completely custom floor system where we can quickly change it out with whatever team we will be facing that week, so it's like we are practicing on the road. 

Also, for OM games we should practice in the crappiest gym in Arkansas.

The Hogfather

January 11, 2012, 10:14:37 pm #737 Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:17:05 pm by The Hogfather
Quote from: hogfan#1 on January 11, 2012, 10:13:15 pm
We should build a practice facility that has the exact courts of the other 11 teams in the SEC.  We should have a completely custom floor system where we can quickly change it out with whatever team we will be facing that week, so it's like we are practicing on the road. 

Also, for OM games we should practice in the crappiest gym in Arkansas.

Make it have 1/2 the amount of lights of a normal gym and pipe 10 year old Katy Perry songs and 4 guys screaming about Col. Reb.  That should cover it.

HF#1

You could even change the background behind the buckets to what the oppenents background is.  Like the backgrounds they put in when you have pictures made. 

It can be done.  Answer the call Jeff.

hogninja

CMA will and is using this first year as a teaching moment.  We will be better at the end of the year and will be better next year than we were this year.  I see 18 wins this year and maybe a NIT invite, which would be a good year for his first.  We lost our post player and it shows.  I see a LOT of talent on this team that will be filled in by future recruiting classes.  :razorback:

Sow Lancelot

Preach it, brother.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.