Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas basketball 2011-2012: Overachieving

Started by Hollywood_HOGan45, December 29, 2011, 10:42:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2011, 05:31:23 pm
Before people have a freak out session;

Coaches still review it. The reason the team doesn't do a ton of video review is since this coaching staff wants to play at one speed whoever they're playing. It doesn't matter who we're playing or what a team's strengths are, we are who we are. The Razorbacks won't adjust their identity based on the opponent.

I get that. But it's still foolish to not even know your opponent's tendencies.

On the road, when the FCP is negated by home-cooking or foul trouble, it's ridiculously tough to get stops (ESPCIALLY at the end of the game) when your team isn't educated on what's coming.

Doing your homework can swing 3 to 5+ possessions/game. That's huge.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 31, 2011, 05:34:20 pm

On the road, when the FCP is negated by home-cooking or foul trouble, it's ridiculously tough to get stops (ESPCIALLY at the end of the game) when your team isn't educated on what's coming.

Soooo, our coaching staff is now foolish?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Smithian

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 31, 2011, 05:34:20 pm

I personally like you would have the team doing lots of review work, but at the same time I'm remember Anderson, Watkins, and Zimmerman have probably done the same things going on 10 years now. Those guys aren't changing now. There's a reason they're making the big bucks in basketball and I won't be.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on December 31, 2011, 05:36:55 pm
Soooo, our coaching staff is now foolish?

Show me an elite program that doesn't do video sessions. Hell, you think Petrino would have a top 15 program if he didn't have his QBs & OL watching hours of tape?

It's a foolish practice to not do it. That's my opinion.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2011, 05:39:47 pm
I personally like you would have the team doing lots of review work, but at the same time I'm remember Anderson, Watkins, and Zimmerman have probably done the same things going on 10 years now. Those guys aren't changing now. There's a reason they're making the big bucks in basketball and I won't be.

There's always room for improvement. When those guys win national championships without doing what every other elite program does, they can prove everyone wrong. Until then....

Smithian

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 31, 2011, 05:40:18 pm
Show me an elite program that doesn't do video sessions. Hell, you think Petrino would have a top 15 program if he didn't have his QBs & OL watching hours of tape?

It's a foolish practice to not do it. That's my opinion.
You do realize since you disagree with one part of how Mike Anderson runs his program that you'll now be blasted?

Many Jump Ball posters don't understand you can disagree with a coach in a particular area but still trust them with the program as a whole.

HawgAdvocate

December 31, 2011, 05:51:21 pm #56 Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:31:14 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2011, 05:42:41 pm
You do realize since you disagree with one part of how Mike Anderson runs his program that you'll now be blasted?

Many Jump Ball posters don't understand you can disagree with a coach in a particular area but still trust them with the program as a whole.

Haha, I hope that was rhetorical.

If anyone wants to blast and can make a legit case as to why we'll be a better team/program by NOT joining the rest of elite college basketball by using individual and team video review, I'm all ears. That being said, I'll save my 10,000th post for another thread. Happy New Year!

I'm cheating the system here, but folks like Breems, Dsims2k3, and PooransRobbyHampton fail to see the obvious:

Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2011, 05:42:41 pm

Keep hating fellas. There's no need for your hand to held on this one.

Smithian

Sorry for the excessive posting.

Has anyone here read :07 Seconds or Less about the 2005/2006 Phoenix Suns? I think it has a lot of connections to our current discussion. There are long parts in it where Mike D'Antoni and his assistants discuss how they feel basketball is over coached at every level and that schemes should be dumbed down and that they often kick themselves for over complicating their schemes, especially defensively. Most of their X's and O's work was built on them playing their way and and scheming to cover their own weaknesses. They also discuss how even when giving their team scouting reports and the such they often didn't read it. And before people blast the Suns as a bad model, they probably go to the Finals in 06 with a healthy Amare and after that had bad luck (the Horry foul on Nash that got Suns players suspended) compounded by dumb ownership decisions starting with letting Joe Johnson go continuously kept them from being better than they already were.

I can see how our coaches maybe buy into a lot of those points. The Suns just wanted to get up and down the court, run high screens, play small ball, shoot a lot of 3's, and just play harder than the other team. When they were themselves they played their best. The segment of the book looking closely at the Laker and Mavs series they were often discussing how certain defenses and other strategies would just backfire.

It's an interesting read for any fan of basketball.

dsims2k3

It's very ironic how some posters made every excuse in the book for Coach Pelph rey because they were "true Hog fans" are the same one who are now Coach Anderson's largest critics before conference play even begins. Wow
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Breems

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on December 31, 2011, 05:51:21 pm
Haha, I hope that was rhetorical.

If anyone wants to blast and can make a legit case as to why we'll be a better team/program by NOT joining the rest of elite college basketball by using individual and team video review, I'm all ears. That being said, I'll save my 10,000th post for another thread. Happy New Year!

I suppose not watching game film is what kept him out of the Final Four a few years ago.  There's a bit of irony in that sentence if you want to look.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: dsims2k3 on December 31, 2011, 06:23:37 pm
It's very ironic how some posters made every excuse in the book for Coach Pelph rey because they were "true Hog fans" are the same one who are now Coach Anderson's largest critics before conference play even begins. Wow

Or the ones that that gave Stan Heath no credit for Pelphrey having the best first season for a Razorback head coach in history and giving all the the glory to CJP, but now want to make sure Pelphrey gets his due now that he's been let go.

dsims2k3

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on December 31, 2011, 06:27:39 pm
Or the ones that that gave Stan Heath no credit for Pelphrey having the best first season for a Razorback head coach in history and giving all the the glory to CJP, but now want to make sure Pelphrey gets his due now that he's been let go.

Exactly

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2011, 05:59:22 pm
Sorry for the excessive posting.

Has anyone here read :07 Seconds or Less about the 2005/2006 Phoenix Suns? I think it has a lot of connections to our current discussion. There are long parts in it where Mike D'Antoni and his assistants discuss how they feel basketball is over coached at every level and that schemes should be dumbed down and that they often kick themselves for over complicating their schemes, especially defensively. Most of their X's and O's work was built on them playing their way and and scheming to cover their own weaknesses. They also discuss how even when giving their team scouting reports and the such they often didn't read it. And before people blast the Suns as a bad model, they probably go to the Finals in 06 with a healthy Amare and after that had bad luck (the Horry foul on Nash that got Suns players suspended) compounded by dumb ownership decisions starting with letting Joe Johnson go continuously kept them from being better than they already were.

I can see how our coaches maybe buy into a lot of those points. The Suns just wanted to get up and down the court, run high screens, play small ball, shoot a lot of 3's, and just play harder than the other team. When they were themselves they played their best. The segment of the book looking closely at the Laker and Mavs series they were often discussing how certain defenses and other strategies would just backfire.

It's an interesting read for any fan of basketball.

I agree. It's a great read.

Smithian

Quote from: dsims2k3 on December 31, 2011, 06:23:37 pm
Last year legit basketball discussion that didn't start and end with "FIRE JOHN PELPHREY" meant you were a "hugger".

This season legit basketball discussion that doesn't start and end with "MIKE ANDERSON IS AMAZING" means you are a "hater".

You can support a head coach even if you don't agree with everything he does.

My personal favorite brand of basketball is walking it up and down the court and overpowering teams. Mike Anderson coaches the exact opposite of that. I still like Mike Anderson and am highly excited for the guy and continue to make every single game. If anyone can bring Arkansas back, he can.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Smithian on December 31, 2011, 05:21:37 pm
It's basically the same players?

No, not at all.

Rotnei Clarke was the key to the offense last year. He's gone. Delvon Johnson was our key frontcourt player. He's gone. Jeff Peterson started quite a few SEC games and we definitely were worse off without him at the end. Bryant and Britt were good role players and spot starters.

BJ Young is our most explosive offensive player, he's new. Abron is a starter who is a freshman. Hunter Mickelson is our tallest guy and he's new.

The impact players are different. Huge difference in Clarke/Johnson and Young/Abron/Mickelson.

Let's not act like this is the same team from last season. That is way over simplifying things. When you lose your leading scorer, rebounder, and best post defender your team is bound have to have a new complexion.

Just because both teams lacked offensive firepower and relied on their defense doesn't make them the same.

Whoa, did you even read the post I was responding to?  Apparently not.  Pelphrey's nephew was talking about how Scott, Wade, Sanchez and Waithe didn't actually get better because of Anderson, it was just natural development.   It was bound to happen.   Obviously our freshmen weren't on the team last year.  Give me a break.  Our team looks great this year for having 9 scholarship players and a bunch of freshmen. 

Niels Boar

Quote from: Breems on December 31, 2011, 06:25:22 pm
I suppose not watching game film is what kept him out of the Final Four a few years ago.  There's a bit of irony in that sentence if you want to look.

I have no idea what Anderson does in practice, but that Elite Eight team was one of only, as I recall, 4 that was rated in the top 15 nationally in BOTH offensive and defensive efficiency.  There were more than four teams in the nation that had more individual talent.  Whatever he does works better than most.     

Breems

Quote from: Niels Boar on January 01, 2012, 01:00:14 pm
I have no idea what Anderson does in practice, but that Elite Eight team was one of only, as I recall, 4 that was rated in the top 15 nationally in BOTH offensive and defensive efficiency.  There were more than four teams in the nation that had more individual talent.  Whatever he does works better than most.     

I guess not watching film is fool's gold.