Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boil it Down to these Two Coaches

Started by WilsonHog, March 18, 2011, 06:52:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cessna8667

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 18, 2011, 08:25:05 am
Who's stamp would be on the hire?  Nolan's?  He's going to hire the best guy he can get.  This is his first basketball hire as AD and with what happened with Pelphrey, he can't afford for that to happen again.  MA would be a good hire and very smart on Long's part.

It's somewhat safe, but it shows me he his balls are firmly pulled in and he's been told who he should hire.  If it's true we have hired him, Long should be dismissed on the simple fact that he does not have the intestinal fortitude to run the athletic department.

SONofHAM

Telep's comments on MA, Buzz, and Marshall from DDs column.

"They are really looking for a leader, a guy who commands the room, who connects with that fan base," Telep added. "I think they will get one because there are a lot of great young coaches that are interested."

Telep has plenty of thoughts on most talked-about candidates:

• Missouri's Mike Anderson: "I don't see why he wouldn't be the perfect choice. He's a coaching star, he's got that dominant personality, he's got the charisma, he was there during the glory days. If they want to pack the place, that's the guy.

"I know there are people saying Arkansas doesn't want to go back to the past. But Nolan Richardson is the past, Mike Anderson is the future."

• Marquette's Buzz Williams: "A great coach, a dominant personality and is going to be a star and one of the best in profession whether it's at Marquette or somewhere else.

"He is one of the most relentless workers and recruiters that you can be around. In fact, he carries around a book during (the) July (recruiting period). People call it Buzz' Bible. It pretty much has everything in there – scouting reports, every bit of information you could ever want about a kid or the people around him, his travel plans.

"Basically he took what Billy Gillespie was doing and took it to a whole new level. He wants to be prepared for everything and never be caught off guard and he never is."

• Wichita State's Gregg Marshall: "Guys just a flat out winner, has been wherever he has been and will be wherever he goes. He will fight like crazy for his team and his fans. Winning follows guys like him because he does the right things and gets results. He just gets it done."
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

Ironhawg

HF#1

Quote from: cessna8667 on March 18, 2011, 08:28:16 am
It's somewhat safe, but it shows me he his balls are firmly pulled in and he's been told who he should hire.  If it's true we have hired him, Long should be dismissed on the simple fact that he does not have the intestinal fortitude to run the athletic department.

I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree.  It wasn't as easy for him to dismiss Pelphrey as it was for the fans.  It doesn't matter because he will get the credit for hiring whoever he hires.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

SONofHAM

Quote from: Ironhawg on March 18, 2011, 08:30:54 am
So did Turgeon say no or what?

It's been said he stated he has no interest.
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

cessna8667

Quote from: hogfan#1 on March 18, 2011, 08:32:09 am
I understand what you're saying but I'm not sure I agree.  It wasn't as easy for him to dismiss Pelphrey as it was for the fans.  It doesn't matter because he will get the credit for hiring whoever he hires.

Of course it's not easy to fire a good person from their job.  However, in the professional world, you have to make these decisions based on performance.  If he's still anguished over that, he REALLY doesn't have the intestinal fortitude for the job!

MF

Quote from: RazorNick on March 18, 2011, 06:56:10 am
Mike. Can you imagine the media if Buzz were to do the "walk it out" on the sidelines here? We would be the joke of the week.

Seems like he'd fit right in with BubbaHog!
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on March 18, 2011, 08:22:13 am
Anderson after game: "I plan on being at Missouri."

Guess I better get over not wanting Buzz as our next coach here.  I think it is a horrible hire, but if Long wants to put his stock in this guy, it will be on him if he fails.

I still don't understand how anyone would want Buzz over a number of other candidates, including Gregg Marshall.

Mark my words, Gregg Marshall will be a force somewhere.  If he gets to NCST or GTECH, he's going to light it up.

And we'll get stuck getting buzzed (paying a 4th year head coach with a declining record as evidence more than $1.5 million).  This is horrible.

I'm going to hold out hope that Anderson "changes his mind".  I'd much rather have him, even though he has some negatives of his own.

The Hogfather

Dwight_K_Shrute

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Just a few weeks ago the Hogville cry was "Anyone but Pelphrey."  Now the theme is gnashing of teeth over who will replace Pelphrey.  It's hard to argue that Anderson, Williams and Marshall are all upgrades over what we've had.  We all want perfect, but whoever it is will be an improvement and worthy of our support.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Lanny on March 18, 2011, 06:55:30 am
I expect Buzz Williams to be the next Razorback coach

Coaching Experience:
Stan Heath - 1 year
John Pelphrey - 5 years
Buzz Wiliams - 4 years

We are going to hire a guy with 4 years coaching experience and never made it past the second round? Oh my.....

Ironhawg

March 18, 2011, 08:53:55 am #63 Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 08:55:48 am by Ironhawg
Quote from: SONofHAM on March 18, 2011, 08:33:43 am
It's been said he stated he has no interest.

Wow.  That's kind of a kick in the junk.  Oh well, onto the next candidate!

HogBreath

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 18, 2011, 08:38:19 am
Guess I better get over not wanting Buzz as our next coach here.  I think it is a horrible hire, but if Long wants to put his stock in this guy, it will be on him if he fails.

I still don't understand how anyone would want Buzz over a number of other candidates, including Gregg Marshall.

Mark my words, Gregg Marshall will be a force somewhere.  If he gets to NCST or GTECH, he's going to light it up.

And we'll get stuck getting buzzed (paying a 4th year head coach with a declining record as evidence more than $1.5 million).  This is horrible.

I'm going to hold out hope that Anderson "changes his mind".  I'd much rather have him, even though he has some negatives of his own.
I saw someplace where someone  said if Frank was still AD, he would have already hired Gregg Marshall.  I know HF, you have noticed , as have many others, that GM just has that "it" factor going for him.

I'm not as anti Buzz as you are, but given a choice, I'd take Marshall over either Williams or Anderson.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

TeedupHigh

The only way MA's team look like the old HOGS is "lack of rebounding."  HOGS got away with because they could play defense!  This Miz team only plays D in very short spurts and damn they can't shoot a lick!  Check out the last 10 games each year, they fall flat!  It will be hard for any MA team to play D like the old HOGS!  Mayberry, McDaniel, Beck, Miz had nobody close.  Until MA finds these guys, he will only win against less than equal talent.  Equal talent handle's this Defense as it is.  We don't need flash, we need soild basketball, defense, rebounding and scoring, that's the ticket.

TeedupHigh

Yep old Frank could pull the trigger real quick, Nutts, Crowe, Ford, Heath, Pel...........................Don't you just love a quick hire?

MB Hog

He may turn out to be a great coach, but the initial reactions from fans (including myself) will be flat.

psooie

Marshall should be the next coach unless bill self takes the job which i doubt happens.

Blue35

We will have to learn the Buzz walk. Maybe the band needs to learn a tune to go with it.

piggysue

I agree with bobetty...Missouri's lackluster rebounding last night against Cincinnati didn't impress me much....

The Hogfather

March 18, 2011, 09:15:43 am #71 Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:17:23 am by The Hogfather
Quote from: MB Hog on March 18, 2011, 09:08:18 am
He may turn out to be a great coach, but the initial reactions from fans (including myself) will be flat.

I will be absolutely mad that we ended up with him as our "home run" hire.  I'll support him once he gets here and I'm sure he'll do just fine (Pelphrey's leaving a lot for him to be successful right away), but I don't like that all we have to go on is a 4 year track record of losing (1 year at UNO) and declining records (3 years at Marquette).  Throw in the fact that we'd have to pay him like he's been a dominant force at Marquette and you got yourself a bad hire (at the moment).

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: SONofHAM on March 18, 2011, 07:51:19 am
The list is good.  MA or Brent, withbMarshall as the fall back.  All 3 are solid hires and no, media won't be making fun of Williams.

Exactly...all are excellent coaches...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Pork Twain

March 18, 2011, 09:16:09 am #73 Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 09:18:14 am by BeoPig™
Thank God...  I really want a fresh start with this hire and someone that can and does get it done.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Blue35

Quote from: TeedupHigh on March 18, 2011, 09:00:31 am
The only way MA's team look like the old HOGS is "lack of rebounding."  HOGS got away with because they could play defense!  This Miz team only plays D in very short spurts and damn they can't shoot a lick!  Check out the last 10 games each year, they fall flat!  It will be hard for any MA team to play D like the old HOGS!  Mayberry, McDaniel, Beck, Miz had nobody close.  Until MA finds these guys, he will only win against less than equal talent.  Equal talent handle's this Defense as it is.  We don't need flash, we need soild basketball, defense, rebounding and scoring, that's the ticket.
Very true. We need to watch Buzz tonight and see what his team looks like.

elksnort

And between the two, I hope that you are correct.

LOMoHogfan

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 18, 2011, 08:03:04 am
Why isn't Marshall getting more consideration?

Maybe because Wichita State is more on the level of Kent State and South Alabama.

The Hogfather

Quote from: LOMoHogfan on March 18, 2011, 09:29:16 am
Maybe because Wichita State is more on the level of Kent State and South Alabama.

Good God.

bocephushog

Quote from: The_Iceman on March 18, 2011, 08:53:26 am
Coaching Experience:
Stan Heath - 1 year
John Pelphrey - 5 years
Buzz Wiliams - 4 years

We are going to hire a guy with 4 years coaching experience and never made it past the second round? Oh my.....
just because they have the same # of year's with HC experience doesn't make them the same...keep in mind Roy Williams had ZERO years of HC experience when he went to Kansas and he did just fine...

Breems

They're better options than Mick Cronin or Doc Sadler.

I'd take MA and Marshall.  I wish Buzz had a bit more experience so I could be more sure of him.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

solitons

I know MA has tie with us, and he is a good man and coach. but I just don't see to hire him as a home run. I prefer Buzz, Marshall, martin. Sure it will be very excite to have self, but it's a dream.

LOMoHogfan

March 18, 2011, 09:58:47 am #81 Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 10:00:27 am by LOMoHogfan
Quote from: The Hogfather on March 18, 2011, 09:34:30 am
Good God.

Hey, I 've been sitting in Bud Walton arena every night for these last two "Great" up and coming coaches for us (Kent State/South Alabama) watching futilty in action on their part.

It didn't work out for either one and I really don't want to sit there for another 4 years watching someone (Marshall?)  learn how to coach in a Big 6 powerconference..  The upside would be, in 4 more years, I could sit right behind the bench and help call plays.

OrvilleRedenporker

I'm warming up to Buzz.  BCG x and o guy who is young energetic and can recruit.  Especially after watching 40 minutes of what the hell are we doing the last three games by Mizzou.  Unless....the players were playing for a guy they knew was gonna leave.

Oklahawg

Quote from: HotlantaHog on March 18, 2011, 07:56:57 am
I'm fine with Buzz or Mike, both would be serious upgrades over the past decade.

I am trying not to be distracted by Mizzou's loss last night -- it is the body of work and potential that are important.

I could see either doing a really good job at Arkansas. I flip back and forth between who I would pick depending on how I slice and dice the statistics and their careers.

Bingo. I like both candidates a great deal. Both appear to be wonderful fits for what UA is looking for.

Regardless, I'll be a card-carrying fan again without hesitation. No regrets over either. I'll also hold the door for any half-baked poster who doesn't get why both are fine candidates.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Sivad

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2011, 06:52:24 am

I have heard that one requirement of this hire is that it be "clean." That is, coaches with baggage need not apply.

Then Mike A, with his Nolan baggage, should be out.

TheArkansasTraveller

As of Saturday evening, do you still feel this way?

4me2know

I like how that sounds

moses_007

It won't be Mike or Buzz.  Mike is staying put, and Buzz doesn't have a good enough resume.  Buzz is not much better than a mid major candidate in my opinion.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: moses_007 on March 19, 2011, 06:36:44 pm
It won't be Mike or Buzz.  Mike is staying put, and Buzz doesn't have a good enough resume.  Buzz is not much better than a mid major candidate in my opinion.

agreed....I'm going with UCLA coach

Lake City Hog

You guys that don't want Williams because he has 4 years as HC and has never made it past the 2nd round do want to hire Marshall who has 13 years as HC and never made it past the 2nd round, explain please?
This should be good!

ronmahony

While I think Mike would be OK, I'm like a lot of people on here, they looked pretty bad against Cinci. Makes me wonder. Buzz and Marshall both to me seem like they would be great here. While I don't know much about Buzz except what I have read lately, and their game last night, Buzz just seems to me like a coach that would come in here and really get dedicated to the Hogs, he just seems like a man with some loyalty about him. He also seems like one hell of a coach. I believe we would be in great shape if we hired either of those two, just not as sure about Mike. Just my opinion.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

texas tush hog