Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Boil it Down to these Two Coaches

Started by WilsonHog, March 18, 2011, 06:52:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WilsonHog

Mike Anderson or Buzz Williams.

I have heard that one requirement of this hire is that it be "clean." That is, coaches with baggage need not apply.

That pretty much eliminated Tim Floyd, Billy Gillispie, and Frank Martin.

While I appreciate our pursuit of Bill Self and Jamie Dixon, at the end of the day neither are leaving their present positions. Mark Turgeon is staying at Texas A&M.

With the delay we've seen it certainly appears that no deal is happening with Tubby Smith.

So, Mike or Buzz.

My money is on Mike.

Lanny

I expect Buzz Williams to be the next Razorback coach
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

grayhawg

Either one would be a serious upgrade. JMO

RazorNick

Mike. Can you imagine the media if Buzz were to do the "walk it out" on the sidelines here? We would be the joke of the week.

McKdaddy

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2011, 06:52:24 am

I have heard that one requirement of this hire is that it be "clean." That is, coaches with baggage need not apply.

While I appreciate our pursuit of Bill Self and Jamie Dixon, at the end of the day neither are leaving their present positions. Mark Turgeon is staying at Texas A&M.

With the delay we've seen it certainly appears that no deal is happening with Tubby Smith.

So, Mike or Buzz.

My money is on Mike.

And if they say no?

I'm surprised Turgeon isn't open, after the season of course, to looking at other gigs.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Oliver

Did we even inquire about Rick Pitino or Gregg Marshall's interest?

hog_fan

Why would we hire Williams over Marshall? What a joke if true.

McKdaddy

Quote from: grayhawg on March 18, 2011, 06:55:31 am
Either one would be a serious upgrade. JMO

Neither is my first choice amongst realistic possibilities, but they would be an upgrade.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Oliver

East Clintwood

I would take Marshall over either one of them.

Of those two, I'd take Buzz.

I wouldn't really be against Anderson but I just think that ship has sailed and it wouldn't work out as well as many people expect it to.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Lanny

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2011, 06:57:47 am
Did we even inquire about Rick Pitino or Gregg Marshall's interest?
Marshall has been contacted

Al Bundy

Dwight_K_Shrute

Gregg Marshall>Buzz Williams and while Williams does not have any NCAA baggage he did sue his former employer, UNO.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

RedyorNot

Wilson, do you not feel Marshall has a legitimate shot?

Oliver

Quote from: Lanny on March 18, 2011, 06:59:32 am
Marshall has been contacted

Is it his lack of interest or ours...in respect to Buzz and MA.

FSguy38

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 18, 2011, 06:52:24 am

So, Mike or Buzz.

My money is on Mike.

What's Martin's baggage?

Porkem

I hope Buzz Williams turns us down.

Let him stay at Marquette.

If we don't get Mike Anderson, Razorback basketball is finished.

"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Lanny

Quote from: Oliver on March 18, 2011, 07:01:48 am
Is it his lack of interest or ours...in respect to Buzz and MA.
Marshall is further down the list

Al Bundy

Tim Harris

Quote from: FSguy38 on March 18, 2011, 07:01:57 am
What's Martin's baggage?

He has the highest paid assistant in college basketball.  Even though he has never had any issues with the NCAA the people on here who don't want him automatically say that makes him dirty.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Lanny on March 18, 2011, 07:07:33 am
Marshall is further down the list

Then I don't trust or am disappointed in the list maker(s).
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

dc10x1103

mike, without a doubt.  not even close.

HogBreath

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 18, 2011, 07:10:15 am
Then I don't trust or am disappointed in the list maker(s).
Exactly right...Marshall has been the obvious choice for a while.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

hog_fan

madxbayhog

Quote from: hog_fan on March 18, 2011, 06:58:40 am
Why would we hire Williams over Marshall? What a joke if true.

Pitino is just like Tubby Smith, past his prime.

hog_fan

Quote from: madxbayhog on March 18, 2011, 07:24:13 am
Pitino is just like Tubby Smith, past his prime.

What? Never mentioned him.

bobetty

After watching Mike Anderson's team last night, we will certainly attract the players who aren't interested in being bothered with rebounding!  Those guys will love to play for Mike Anderson. 

pigdirt

I'd prefer Buzz or MA..
But I'd also like to seriously consider Marshall..
Both need to show us their stuff in their post season play..
So far Marshall and W. St look great!..
The times I've seen MA play this year have been wretched.. getting beat down yesterday
and also a stinker against Nebraska at the end of the year.. and oh, yeah Turgeon reallly kicking his butt!... NO to MA!
:o

SONofHAM

"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

The Marmot

Quote from: Porkem Yung on March 18, 2011, 07:04:46 am

If we don't get Mike Anderson, Razorback basketball is finished.

Give me a break.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

strickark

SONofHAM

The list is good.  MA or Brent, withbMarshall as the fall back.  All 3 are solid hires and no, media won't be making fun of Williams.

SONofHAM

Also very interesting the top 2 candidates are 11 seeds facing 6 seeds

cessna8667

I cannot imagine Long hiring Anderson.  How does that put his stamp on the hire?  Logically, Long is going to want to find his own man, someone separated from our past who can come in here and win.  I see MA as the least likely to be hired by Long...

RedSatinHog

I sincerely hope we don't make more than 2 offers before we turn our attention to Gregg Marshall.  In fact, it wouldn't break my heart if we offered him first.

24-win seasons for a team playing in the Mo Valley conference usually gets said team into the NCAAT.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

HotlantaHog

I'm fine with Buzz or Mike, both would be serious upgrades over the past decade.

I am trying not to be distracted by Mizzou's loss last night -- it is the body of work and potential that are important.

I could see either doing a really good job at Arkansas. I flip back and forth between who I would pick depending on how I slice and dice the statistics and their careers.

HF#1

Thanks for the insight Wilson.  I would prefer Marshall instead of Williams but I would support Williams 100%.  He's a good coach in a brutal conference.  He could take us further in the SEC than we have been lately.  Of course this is assuming we don't get Anderson. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

bwbcpa

Quote from: pigdirt on March 18, 2011, 07:42:42 am
I'd prefer Buzz or MA..
But I'd also like to seriously consider Marshall..
Both need to show us their stuff in their post season play..
So far Marshall and W. St look great!..
The times I've seen MA play this year have been wretched.. getting beat down yesterday
and also a stinker against Nebraska at the end of the year.. and oh, yeah Turgeon reallly kicking his butt!... NO to MA!
:o

Even though I've seen several postings about his record @ Mizzou, every game I have seen his team play, they didn't look any better than what I've seen from Pelphrey - poor shooting, bad shot selection, poor rebounding, defense was good at times, but would collapse at others. In the short run, Anderson would fill seats and can build from where we are, but I think any decent coach can do that with where we are at this point.

jgphillips3

Why isn't Marshall getting more consideration?

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: The Marmot on March 18, 2011, 08:04:24 am
How do you know hes not?

Because Lanny said he was further down on the list.

If MA is hired, there will be disappointment in  2 to 3 years when we don't have the success most expect.  Anderson is a upgrade over what just left, but there are several high school coaches that would also be.  I don't think the right coach has been mentioned yet.  Our new coach must win, graduate players, recruit well, suck up to the right people and be cheap.  That is a big order.  I like the K. St coach personally but doubt he will get the opportunity to say no.

SONofHAM

Quote from: jgphillips3 on March 18, 2011, 08:03:04 am
Why isn't Marshall getting more consideration?

He is being considered.  Lanny says he has been contacted.  Seems Long wants MA or Buzz more.  I'd say 3rd on the list is being considered.  It could very well be Marshall.  Pel was around the 7th choice and got the job.

The Marmot

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Temprees

Quote from: cessna8667 on March 18, 2011, 07:54:20 am
I cannot imagine Long hiring Anderson.  How does that put his stamp on the hire?  Logically, Long is going to want to find his own man, someone separated from our past who can come in here and win.  I see MA as the least likely to be hired by Long...
This "separation from the past" and "ship has sailed" stuff is pure ignorance.  You guys say it over and over and it starts to sound good to you.  Examples of reaching back to the past are:  North Carolina with Roy Williams, and Georgetown with John Thompson's son.  You don't run from the most successful period of your team's existence. 

cessna8667

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

cessna8667

HF#1

Quote from: cessna8667 on March 18, 2011, 07:54:20 am

Who's stamp would be on the hire?  Nolan's?  He's going to hire the best guy he can get.  This is his first basketball hire as AD and with what happened with Pelphrey, he can't afford for that to happen again.  MA would be a good hire and very smart on Long's part.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

SultanofSwine

I would prefer Marshall over Buzz, Buzz over Mike.

From what I am hearing Buzz is the best shot to keep the entire class and Marshall would have a great chance to keep them all as well. Mike, on the other hand, will be hard pressed to keep the class if they have decent options to transfer.

jgphillips3

I know it was only Nebraska he was playing the other day, but I really enjoyed watching Marshall's team play. Stylistically, it was fun basketball. Run when you can, effective half court offense when you can't and good defense that would be extended when called for. I guess my only question mark for him would be recruiting, but he's not held a power 6 job so who knows how that would go. Anyway, since I started looking into him about a month ago, he has really grown on me.

jjsam

I can't see Tubby calling the Hogs!! how about Norman Dale?? :-) :razorback: