Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin on the radio: nothing will be announced with Pel until the new coach

Started by mathhog, March 08, 2011, 01:19:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: rude1 on March 08, 2011, 08:13:47 pm
Dude you simply have no shame. You are willing to post as a matter of fact what you learned from someone on a message board?

I'm with Rude on this one.  We need to drop the BCG talk.  It's not going to happen and it shouldn't.  I would have more respect for BCG, if he said I'm going to take a drink and coach basketball because I am a grown man.  If you are buying this "new Man" crap you're a sucker.  He said, himself he only "drinks a little". 

I have a bigger problem with his lying, than I do his drinking.

#FreeMarquel

GuvHog

Quote from: Fort Dweller on March 08, 2011, 08:28:40 pm
Help me out.  The meeting JL had was with the Sutton's, no?  BCG was in Fayetteville to watch Kentucky game and get his face out there.  I've seen him at OU as well, and Texas Tech.  All within the last month.

But, I'm pretty sure it was Sutton who was invited to meet with Long, not BCG.

The meeting with Sutton took place as well. Both meetings took place.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 08, 2011, 08:31:10 pm
I'm with Rude on this one.  We need to drop the BCG talk.  It's not going to happen and it shouldn't.  I would have respect for BCG, if he said I'm going to take a drink and coach basketball because I am a grown man.  If you are buying this "new Man" crap you're a sucker.  He said, himself he only "drinks a little". 

I have a bigger problem with his lying, than I do his drinking.

In the article I linked BCG stated "I don't drink anymore". The "drinks a little" thing was debunked a while back.

MuskogeeHogFan

Guv, I posted this in another thread with regard to BCG and you skimmed right over it so I am re-posting here to give you an opportunity to address it.

Gottlieb made the comment that BCG might not be wanted at Tech because in his last 2-3 jobs he seemed to have a tendency to alienate members of the administration. He may have turned his life around. He may still be a good coach. But it seems he is viewed as "damaged goods" and a potentially high risk hire.

If Tech feels that way, it could be a common feeling shared by many schools which would explain the "BCG Caravan" to any school that might potentially have an opening in order to give them an opportunity to visit with him up close and personal.

This sounds like a more likely scenario for his meeting with Long and one that was quite possibly requested by BCG, instead of the other way around.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:35:07 pm
In the article I linked BCG stated "I don't drink anymore". The "drinks a little" thing was debunked a while back.

I guess we'll see GUV.  When is your client coming to Fayetteville next?

BTW, I'm watching ORU and Oakland.......Oakland plays a pretty interesting brand of basketball, it's a good game so far.
#FreeMarquel

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2011, 08:36:45 pm
Guv, I posted this in another thread with regard to BCG and you skimmed right over it so I am re-posting here to give you an opportunity to address it.

Gottlieb made the comment that BCG might not be wanted at Tech because in his last 2-3 jobs he seemed to have a tendency to alienate members of the administration. He may have turned his life around. He may still be a good coach. But it seems he is viewed as "damaged goods" and a potentially high risk hire.

If Tech feels that way, it could be a common feeling shared by many schools which would explain the "BCG Caravan" to any school that might potentially have an opening in order to give them an opportunity to visit with him up close and personal.

This sounds like a more likely scenario for his meeting with Long and one that was quite possibly requested by BCG, instead of the other way around.

I don't know about Texas Tech but Gottlieb's statement about BCG alienating administrators in his last 2-3 jobs is wrong. BCG only had problems with the administrators at UK and admits that was his fault for not understanding what was expected of him as UK HC. He got along Very well with administrators at UTEP and Texas A&M.

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:35:07 pm

Was it? You prove this?

Yet, you use the same source to "prove" that BCG is interested in Arkansas as he is the only source who has published BCG's and Arkansas' names the past few months together in a sentence with "interest" connecting the two.

This is why you are a joke, you pick and choose source to fit your skewed vision of the world anything straying from this view point are "lies" and anything that fits is the "gospel". You are not objective, you are not able to think in a critical capacity. You believe everything you are told without questioning or thinking on your own part...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

GuvHog

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 08, 2011, 08:40:13 pm
I guess we'll see GUV.  When is your client coming to Fayetteville next?

BTW, I'm watching ORU and Oakland.......Oakland plays a pretty interesting brand of basketball, it's a good game so far.

He's not my client and I don't know that he is. Someone posted that he is on Longs list though.

Fort Dweller

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:31:54 pm
The meeting with Sutton took place as well. Both meetings took place.

Do you know this as fact, or are you reporting what someone else has reported on here?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

rude1

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:42:32 pm
I don't know about Texas Tech but Gottlieb's statement about BCG alienating administrators in his last 2-3 jobs is wrong. BCG only had problems with the administrators at UK and admits that was his fault for not understanding what was expected of him as UK HC. He got along Very well with administrators at UTEP and Texas A&M.
Don't matter, Billy Bourbon is going to have to work his way back up the ladder, nobody in a top program is going to take a risk on this proven drunk.

GuvHog

Quote from: nextlevel on March 08, 2011, 08:43:27 pm
Was it? You prove this?

Yet, you use the same source to "prove" that BCG is interested in Arkansas as he is the only source who has published BCG's and Arkansas' names the past few months together in a sentence with "interest" connecting the two.

This is why you are a joke, you pick and choose source to fit your skewed vision of the world anything straying from this view point are "lies" and anything that fits is the "gospel". You are not objective, you are not able to think in a critical capacity. You believe everything you are told without questioning or thinking on your own part...

In every article written about BCG he states "I don't drink anymore". He never said "I only drink a little", that was a false rumor started by a blogger who stated he had heard that BCG still "drinks a little" but he never stated it as fact, just as a rumor he'd heard.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:42:32 pm

I see, so you are right and a guy as connected as Gottlieb is wrong? Come on, Guv. This really is getting ridiculous and I still contend that the meeting between Long and BCG, if it did happen, was more at the request of BCG, than Long.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2011, 08:49:23 pm
I see, so you are right and a guy as connected as Gottlieb is wrong? Come on, Guv. This really is getting ridiculous and I still contend that the meeting between Long and BCG, if it did happen, was more at the request of BCG, than Long.

Muskogee read this:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-gillispie030811

There are some comments from people at all 3 schools about BCG in it.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2011, 08:49:23 pm

Gottlieb is looking more credible all the time. 
#FreeMarquel

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:49:21 pm
In every article written about BCG he states "I don't drink anymore". He never said "I only drink a little", that was a false rumor started by a blogger who stated he had heard that BCG still "drinks a little" but he never stated it as fact, just as a rumor he'd heard.

His blog is the only source stating BCG has interest in Arkansas while you are the only one claiming Arkansas has interest in BCG.

Can you and BCG be in the same place at the same time our would that cause a rift in the time space continuum?
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

GuvHog

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 08, 2011, 08:53:51 pm
Gottlieb is looking more credible all the time. 

If you'll read that article I linked you'll see it's just the opposite.

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 09:00:09 pm
If you'll read that article I linked you'll see it's just the opposite.

Quote from: nextlevel on March 08, 2011, 08:43:27 pm

ell oh ell

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 08:52:04 pm
Muskogee read this:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-gillispie030811

There are some comments from people at all 3 schools about BCG in it.

First of all, that is great article about BCG. Good for him that he seems to have triumphed over his problems.

Second, no one at any of those schools are going to say anything negative about him publicly, after the fact.

Third, there isn't anything there that suggests that any schools are inviting him in for interviews at this point.

Fourth, no mention of a meeting at Arkansas.

Fifth, I know you love the guy and probably admire him as a coach and a person, for what he has overcome. But I think you are reading what you want to read and then embellishing a bit.
Go Hogs Go!

GuvHog

Quote from: nextlevel on March 08, 2011, 08:53:52 pm
His blog is the only source stating BCG has interest in Arkansas while you are the only one claiming Arkansas has interest in BCG.

Can you and BCG be in the same place at the same time our would that cause a rift in the time space continuum?

Man where have you been?? There were 2 other posters just today that stated BCG is on Long's list! Sheeesh!!

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: nextlevel on March 08, 2011, 08:53:52 pm

Yes...GUV is just his agent.  I'm not sure GUV believes in science or the space time continuum.   The dinosaur fossils were put in the rocks by God to deceive us all.
#FreeMarquel

nextlevel

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 09:02:27 pm
Man where have you been?? There were 2 other posters just today that stated BCG is on Long's list! Sheeesh!!

So an anonymous poster posts something is so and I'm suppose to to automatically take it as fact?

There are tennis balls covering every door knob in your house, isn't there?

ell oh ell

GuvHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 08, 2011, 09:02:02 pm
First of all, that is great article about BCG. Good for him that he seems to have triumphed over his problems.

Second, no one at any of those schools are going to say anything negative about him publicly, after the fact.

Third, there isn't anything there that suggests that any schools are inviting him in for interviews at this point.

Fourth, no mention of a meeting at Arkansas.

Fifth, I know you love the guy and probably admire him as a coach and a person, for what he has overcome. But I think you are reading what you want to read and then embellishing a bit.

I never said the article mentioned anything about the meeting.

I'm not embellishing, I just like what I read and believe he is being unfairly attacked on a personal level on this board. I respect the fact that some believe we can do better from a coaching standpoint but the personal attacks are unnecessary.

I like the article myself.

Every thread eventually becomes dominated by Guv defending Gillispie.

Boarsnest

Maybe Clyde has turned his life around, I hope he has and wish him well but Arkansas basketball can't afford to be part of the Billy Clyde sobriety experiment. We have suffered through all the bad years we can afford, IMO this hire has to be solid and unite the fan base. BCG is just to risky to take a chance on at this point in our program. We have suffered through 2 experiments and can't afford another.

High Octane Hog

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on March 08, 2011, 09:03:39 pm
Yes...GUV is just his agent.  I'm not sure GUV believes in science or the space time continuum.   The dinosaur fossils were put in the rocks by God to deceive us all.

That's funny!

mmhogs17

East Clintwood

I did not want BCG as the Razorback BB coach 4 years ago and I damn sure don't want him here now after everything that's transpired since. 

I don't like his brand of basketball and I really don't like how he treats his players;  I don't think he can be an effective recruiter because of it.  He's really never been anywhere long enough to establish a resume as a recruiter but I can't imagine that too many of todays pampered players would voluntarily sign up for that kind of abuse.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

GuvHog

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 09:42:59 pm
Dear god, there was no meeting between BCG and Long.

And I assume you have a source to back that up???

Fort Dweller

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 08, 2011, 11:12:51 pm
And I assume you have a source to back that up???

Who is your source to confirm the meeting took place, aside from an anonymous message board poster?
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:19:48 pm
radio notes from this afternoon....

1) nothing will be announced (firing Pel) until the new coach is ready to show up, so our new coach's season will be over before any firing is announced for Pel  (this actually happened with heath if i remember correctly, heath was fired over a week after losing in the NCAA i think?)

2) Billy Gillespie possibly to Texas Tech would be good for Arkansas, because Billy was (is?) on Long's list but not really anyone else's list, so taking Billy off the market moves Long one more step towards a better choice for Arkansas' new coach. Billy to Arkansas ain't happening.  too much bad blood from his 2007 screwing of us. mike says it's weird that nobody is giving billyg a chance because he is a good choice, but oh well.  (edit: now saying Billy to TTech is VERY likely)

3) calls out 'fans' that say "we can't fire pel because we will get somebody worse."    this is a huge defeatist attitude for arkansas fans!

(will update if anything else interesting is said)

4) says not to worry about losing recruits, if the new coach can't keep them here, it's not a good coach.

5) only two ways PEL COMES BACK:  make the NCAAs, or if the only possible new hire isn't an upgrade from PEL  (not likely)

6) (this is my point) very interesting that more than a few people have called in and specifically asked about mike anderson, but other than naming anderson as a 'potential' hire in the first minute or so, neither host has even uttered mike's name.  it's as if all these callers are asking about mike anderson but the hosts aren't saying anything about him yes or no.     'coincidence'????   ;)

I don't understand #4. I thought it took years to build relationships with these guys. Isn't that why recruiting starts so early now? So that players can connect with coaches and a program? Unless it is a HUGE name, why would some guy be able to come in and convince them to stay in a just a few weeks time? What if he runs a different style then they were looking for in a program? What if they just don't like him? Because you know there will be some animosity. They obviously liked/believed in Pel in some way or another. When things change, all bets are off and you know every team and their mom will come out re-recruiting these kids, and many have been on them for years.

I am a firm believer that talent is far more important than coaching. A good coach with little talent will still lose a lot of games. A average/below average coach with great talent will still win. See LSU in football and maybe even Auburn. They say you can rebuild a bball program fast because you only need one great recruiting class with a couple of studs to come back and win big. Well, we have 5 studs coming. I just can not justify losing them. If Pel was to be fired, it probably should have been last year. Right now, I would only fire him if you know you can keep this class intact, and from what I hear 3 of them will ask for a release. What is one more year of Pel anyway? He will win next year with these guys. If he doesn't, then fire him and you still have the players on campus for the next guy.

cityhog

Quote from: Boarsnest on March 08, 2011, 09:34:04 pm
Maybe Clyde has turned his life around, I hope he has and wish him well but Arkansas basketball can't afford to be part of the Billy Clyde sobriety experiment. We have suffered through all the bad years we can afford, IMO this hire has to be solid and unite the fan base. BCG is just to risky to take a chance on at this point in our program. We have suffered through 2 experiments and can't afford another.

most sensible post I've seen in a while.