Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin on the radio: nothing will be announced with Pel until the new coach

Started by mathhog, March 08, 2011, 01:19:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mathhog

radio notes from this afternoon....

1) nothing will be announced (firing Pel) until the new coach is ready to show up, so our new coach's season will be over before any firing is announced for Pel  (this actually happened with heath if i remember correctly, heath was fired over a week after losing in the NCAA i think?)

2) Billy Gillespie possibly to Texas Tech would be good for Arkansas, because Billy was (is?) on Long's list but not really anyone else's list, so taking Billy off the market moves Long one more step towards a better choice for Arkansas' new coach. Billy to Arkansas ain't happening.  too much bad blood from his 2007 screwing of us. mike says it's weird that nobody is giving billyg a chance because he is a good choice, but oh well.  (edit: now saying Billy to TTech is VERY likely)

3) calls out 'fans' that say "we can't fire pel because we will get somebody worse."    this is a huge defeatist attitude for arkansas fans!

(will update if anything else interesting is said)

4) says not to worry about losing recruits, if the new coach can't keep them here, it's not a good coach.

5) only two ways PEL COMES BACK:  make the NCAAs, or if the only possible new hire isn't an upgrade from PEL  (not likely)

6) (this is my point) very interesting that more than a few people have called in and specifically asked about mike anderson, but other than naming anderson as a 'potential' hire in the first minute or so, neither host has even uttered mike's name.  it's as if all these callers are asking about mike anderson but the hosts aren't saying anything about him yes or no.     'coincidence'????   ;)

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

mathhog

Quote from: Breems on March 08, 2011, 01:21:04 pm
Thanks mathhog. 

I don't really want Billy here.

he sort of alluded that mike is the popular choice, but hasnt said much.  they were talking about mallet's horrible NFL 40 yard time for a while and i just caught the end of it and heard them mention the coaching stuff....

Spider-Pig

online-with-swine

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:19:48 pm

3) calls out 'fans' that say "we can't fire pel because we will get somebody worse."    this is a huge defeatist attitude for arkansas fans!

Thank you!!!  I'm glad somenone stepped up in the media and said that we CAN and SHOULD expect better.

Dogtown Donkey

Pretty much re-affirms the common logic going around from most Hog fans.

Breems

Quote from: Spider-Pig on March 08, 2011, 01:22:31 pm
So... we should hope for a Mizzou early exit?

Actually, yes.

It might make Mike upset and make him more vulnerable for us to pick up!

That's how it works with high school boyfriends/girlfriends.

SpaCityHawg

1) nothing will be announced (firing Pel) until the new coach is ready to show up, so our new coach's season will be over before any firing is announced for Pel  (this actually happened with heath if i remember correctly, heath was fired over a week after losing in the NCAA i think?)

2) Billy Gillespie possibly to Texas Tech would be good for Arkansas, because Billy was (is?) on Long's list but not really anyone else's list, so taking Billy off the market moves Long one more step towards a better choice for Arkansas' new coach. Billy to Arkansas ain't happening.  too much bad blood from his 2007 screwing of us. mike says it's weird that nobody is giving billyg a chance because he is a good choice, but oh well.

(will update if anything else interesting is said)

Where can a person listen to Irwin? In the Hot Springs area.

online-with-swine

I like the idea of not announcing anything until our target is ready to get here.  That makes it easier on him b/c he doesn't have to keep answering questions about it and more importantly he doesn't have to deny it and make a liar of himself.

Breems

5) only two ways PEL COMES BACK:  make the NCAAs, or if the only possible new hire isn't an upgrade from PEL  (not likely)

Considering Long doesn't think Anderson is an upgrade over Pel, we might be keeping ol Pelphrey.

mathhog

Quote from: taterhog on March 08, 2011, 01:24:14 pm

Where can a person listen to Irwin? In the Hot Springs area.

dont know. its sportshog 103.1 out of ft smith.  don't know if there is an internet link

mathhog

Quote from: Breems on March 08, 2011, 01:25:10 pm
Considering Long doesn't think Anderson is an upgrade over Pel, we might be keeping ol Pelphrey.

nah, he said "if coach after coach after coach shoots us down and the only guy left isn't an upgrade.."   something like that. 

i think if it was down to some swac coach vs pel.

Houston Pelphrey

I think BCG would be a great hire......the guy is a winner no matter how he screwed us.  Arkansas fans would have a short memory when the guy comes here and wins....I am concerned though that he would be able to keep very many of the new recruits due to his "history"

RazorHawg16

I disagree that we will fire pel when the new coachs season is over. That is  NOT how you do things!

Dwight_K_Shrute

So his is basically saying quit acting like a bunch of ***** ******.

You know what besides saying it to the fans, which I think the fraidy cats are actually around 5%, he is really saying it to the Blow Mattinglys and Rick Schaeffers who keep beating the ****** drum.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

mathhog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 08, 2011, 01:31:05 pm
I disagree that we will fire pel when the new coachs season is over. That is  NOT how you do things!

that's what we did with Stan in 2007.    i'm not following?

Breems

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 08, 2011, 01:31:31 pm
So his is basically saying quit acting like a bunch of ***** ******.

You know what besides saying it to the fans, which I think the fraidy cats are actually around 5%, he is really saying it to the Blow Mattinglys and Rick Schaeffers who keep beating the ****** drum.

Rick is the Alamo.  He is always the Alamo.  You can't blame him.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:31:47 pm
that's what we did with Stan in 2007.    i'm not following?
You go ahead and fire the coach then you use the ncaat to search for your new candidate. If he is still here next Tuesday he WILL be back next season. That might have been how we did it in 2007, but that was the OLD regime. The OLD regime was messed up in more ways than one.

CarolinaHog1176

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:22:06 pm
...they were talking about mallet's horrible NFL 40 yard time for a while

So, what did Mallett run?  I'm guessing in the 5.2-5.5 range
WOOOOO PIG SOOIE

Billy Bayou

1) nothing will be announced (firing Pel) until the new coach is ready to show up,

Judging by the content of the #3 statement, the #1 statement is a bit of a defeatist attitude.

Mallett ran a 5.38

mathhog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 08, 2011, 01:33:45 pm
You go ahead and fire the coach then you use the ncaat to search for your new candidate. If he is still here next Tuesday he WILL be back next season. That might have been how we did it in 2007, but that was the OLD regime. The OLD regime was messed up in more ways than one.

wait, what?  no, irwin specifically said he is hearing that long is waiting to fire pel ("if pel doesnt win the sec tournament yada yada") until the new coach's season is over

that's not his opnion, he is repeating LONG's opinion.

im just not following you?

lilpiggy

BCG may be a good coach, but he is a punk, plain an simple, thinks his shat dont stink, mike anderson or bust.

SpaCityHawg

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:25:18 pm
dont know. its sportshog 103.1 out of ft smith.  don't know if there is an internet link

Thanks Math.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:35:08 pm
wait, what?  no, irwin specifically said he is hearing that long is waiting to fire pel ("if pel doesnt win the sec tournament yada yada") until the new coach's season is over

that's not his opnion, he is repeating LONG's opinion.

im just not following you?
Ok let me spell it out for you.
step 1. Friday or Monday we fire Pel
step 2. Long uses the ncaat to interview and find his candidate that he wants for the job.
You don't interiew coaches WHILE you have a coach. You might do feelers and such, but you have to wait till there is an opening to INTERVIEW.

Spider-Pig

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 08, 2011, 01:37:25 pm
step 2. Long uses the ncaat to interview and find his candidate that he wants for the job.
You don't interiew coaches WHILE you have a coach. You might do feelers and such, but you have to wait till there is an opening to INTERVIEW.

Our next coach will be playing in the NCAAT and they don't interview while they're still playing

RazorHawg16

Quote from: Spider-Pig on March 08, 2011, 01:39:11 pm
Our next coach will be playing in the NCAAT and they don't interview while they're still playing
Correct! So when they get eliminated THEN you can interview them

mathhog

Quote from: Spider-Pig on March 08, 2011, 01:39:11 pm

this.  i still don't understand.  maybe you are saying what YOU THINK we SHOULD do, fine.   but that's not what LONG is telling people that HE is GOING to do.

mathhog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 08, 2011, 01:40:03 pm
Correct! So when they get eliminated THEN you can interview them

agreed, but they are saying they won't FIRE OR INTERVIEW until the new coach loses.  not out of the ordinary...

Smokehouse

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 08, 2011, 01:31:05 pm

if you can keep things in house, it's a great way to do things. If Long can't keep the fact that he's talked to several coaches away from the media, then it could become a bit of a PR problem.

I have no problem with waiting for our main targets to finish their season before firing Pel. Could also give Pel and his assistants some time to start figuring out what they're going to do next without having to deal with it publicly.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: Houston Pelphrey on March 08, 2011, 01:29:03 pm
I think BCG would be a great hire......the guy is a winner no matter how he screwed us.  Arkansas fans would have a short memory when the guy comes here and wins....I am concerned though that he would be able to keep very many of the new recruits due to his "history"
Oh really. There are still Razorback fans still upset at Eddie Sutton's comment that "he would crawl to Kentucky".

mathhog

Quote from: Smokehouse on March 08, 2011, 01:40:55 pm
I have no problem with waiting for our main targets to finish their season before firing Pel. Could also give Pel and his assistants some time to start figuring out what they're going to do next without having to deal with it publicly.

i agree with this.  whether he goes to some small school in kentucky or alabama, or whether he becomes an assistant, let him figure it out now!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:22:06 pm
he sort of alluded that mike is the popular choice, but hasnt said much.  they were talking about mallet's horrible NFL 40 yard time for a while and i just caught the end of it and heard them mention the coaching stuff....
I'm shocked. Mallett is slow in the 40? Lol! He's a 22 yr old Johnny Unitas at age 38.

What was his time?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

RazorHawg16

So we are going to fire pel one day then the VERY next day our search will be done and the new coach will be hired? That NEVER happens.
You have a period of time where you go through your candidates.

mathhog

Quote from: RazorHawg16 on March 08, 2011, 01:42:04 pm
So we are going to fire pel one day then the VERY next day our search will be done and the new coach will be hired? That NEVER happens.
You have a period of time where you go through your candidates.

no.  we would fire pel one day and a few/several days later hire a new coach.  what's so strange about that?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Breems on March 08, 2011, 01:25:10 pm
If we do keep Pel, do we have to keep you too?
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

Breems

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Billy Bayou on March 08, 2011, 01:34:52 pm
Judging by the content of the #3 statement, the #1 statement is a bit of a defeatist attitude.

Mallett ran a 5.38
I have to laugh. Wonder what the NFL boys are thinking about that speed...slower than many O linemen.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: mathhog on March 08, 2011, 01:43:18 pm
no.  we would fire pel one day and a few/several days later hire a new coach.  what's so strange about that?
Nothing is strange, that is the way that it should be done.
What I am not understanding is your saying that we wait until we have a coach locked up before we fire pel. OKAY
If we have a coach locked up why would it take several days to announce hiring him after we can Pel?

There have been several decent coaches mentioned in the last few days but I would take John Brady over BCG any day of the week.

GuvHog

Quote from: Houston Pelphrey on March 08, 2011, 01:29:03 pm

Read this:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=jn-gillispie030811

I've read several articles on BCG and this is by far the best and most complete one. It even includes some comments from one of BCG's former UK players that speaks volumes. It is rather long though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mathhog

**very interesting that more than a few people have called in and specifically asked about mike anderson, but other than naming anderson as a 'potential' hire in the first minute or so, neither host has even uttered mike's name.  it's as if all these callers are asking about mike anderson but the hosts aren't saying anything about him yes or no.     'coincidence'????   ;)

freedomcounty

Heath lost to USC on March 16, 2006. He was canned on March 26, 2006. So it took ten days after that loss to fire him, and that was during the NCAAT. Assuming Pel is one and done at the SECT it could take weeks for a decision to be announced if they want to wait.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

hawgnosticator

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 08, 2011, 01:44:49 pm
I have to laugh. Wonder what the NFL boys are thinking about that speed...slower than many O linemen.

40's mean nothing for a pocket passer. Tom Brady ran a 5.3.

Please don't misconstrue this as comparing Mallett to Brady overall. Just stating that 40's are irrelevant for that type of QB.

RazorHawg16

Quote from: freedomcounty on March 08, 2011, 01:49:50 pm
Heath lost to USC on March 16, 2006. He was canned on March 26, 2006. So it took ten days after that loss to fire him, and that was during the NCAAT. Assuming Pel is one and done at the SECT it could take weeks for a decision to be announced if they want to wait.
I don't remember that ten day time frame. Was there a lot of uncertainty or was it that everyone thought he would be back?

Hoggish1

2) Billy Gillespie possibly to Texas Tech would be good for Arkansas, because Billy was (is?) on Long's list but not really anyone else's list, so taking Billy off the market moves Long one more step towards a better choice for Arkansas' new coach. Billy to Arkansas ain't happening.  too much bad blood from his 2007 screwing of us. mike says it's weird that nobody is giving billyg a chance because he is a good choice, but oh well.  (edit: now saying Billy to TTech is VERY likely)

Thanks for the update Math.
1. Best news for us is when BCG is named at TTech.  This item is disheartening, generally speaking, with even the slightest notion that he's remotely on Long's list.  Way too much baggage and wrong style of offense for Arkansas among so many other problems...

2.  If Pelphrey is not coming back unless he gets to NCAAs (four wins?), I guess we can breath easily that he's not coming back.

mathhog

Quote from: freedomcounty on March 08, 2011, 01:49:50 pm

2007, not 2006, but yeah, otherwise, agreed.

Stan was canned on march 26th (monday after) because Billy Gillespie LOST to Memphis in the Sweet 16 on March 22 (the weekend before)

So yeah, it's likely that pel is 'the coach' until the monday after our new coach loses in the NCAAT.  pel knows he's out, guys.  surely he is securing other jobs as we speak.

hogsanity

If you want a big time coach you do not do interviews PERIOD.  You target the guy you want, and you ask him or his agent if he is interested, and, if so, what are his terms.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RazorHawg16

Math, was there a lot of uncertainty during that ten day time period or was it thought he was coming back?