Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Even Bo has given up on Pel

Started by The_Iceman, January 13, 2011, 01:19:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

He is turning the show over to Tim from Little Rock today.

Bo admits he has defended Pel, but there is no defense anymore. Many of the Pel backers are calling in agreeing with him, now wanting him gone.

nextlevel

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 13, 2011, 01:19:18 pm

Bo admits he has defended Pel, but there is no defense anymore. Many of the Pel backers are calling in agreeing with him, now wanting him gone.

Can anyone name other coaches who lost their team and fanbase on the same night?

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

PonderinHog

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2011, 01:35:04 pm
Can anyone name other coaches who lost their team and fanbase on the same night?
Last night was just the camel that broke the straw's back.  I said that right, didn't I? ???

forrest city joe

If folks have not given up by now. they just flatout don't care. no one can defend this.

nextlevel

I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

jmingram911

He lost me after beating OU and Texas and then dragging up the rear in the SEC West. Unbelievable!!

Jimmy Dykes could coach this team 500x better than Pel.

hawgchill

Sad fact IS...
We are not YET rebuilt talentwise...
Our talent is NOT head and shoulders above ANYone else's in the SEC/West

We should probably "walk" our expectations down a little
until we're fully re-stocked...

I just want to see game 2 game improvement to SOLIDIFY
the talent "merge" that's upcoming.

Just ONE opinion though.

Respect

GuvHog

Quote from: jmingram911 on January 13, 2011, 02:33:07 pm
He lost me after beating OU and Texas and then dragging up the rear in the SEC West. Unbelievable!!

............And I'd take him as the next Hog Head coach in a New York Minute!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

azhog10

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 13, 2011, 02:36:07 pm
............And I'd take him as the next Hog Head coach in a New York Minute!
I agree. I woudln't mind seeing what he can do. He's seen enough good and basketball through his time to know where to go to succeed. Not saying he can do it but the guy we have can't. Plus he will have a good base with the recruits coming in. Not to mention he's a nice guy.

chiefhawg

Other teams in the West are getting better with incoming players just like the Hogs.  The concerning issue for me is the other teams are building on to a stronger foundation. LSU is very young with a solid incoming class.  MSU has recruited well, so has Ole Miss. They seem to have filled their needs.

Buck Brewer

Yep, some of us had figured out Pel after the collapse in 09.

GuvHog

Quote from: Ar_Hog on January 13, 2011, 02:41:30 pm
Jimmy's making big $$$$ at ESPin without the pressure being a head coach.

Although I believe he has 10 X more BB IQ than Fail!

He is making big money for a basketball commentator but I would be surprised if it's as much as a quality D1 head basketball coach makes. I believe Long could get him to take the job.

Lanny

Quote from: SherlockHog on January 13, 2011, 02:44:41 pm
Yep, some of us had figured out Pel after the collapse in 09.
I was done after 09
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

AcePigtura

Quote from: hawgchill on January 13, 2011, 02:34:59 pm
Sad fact IS...

Just ONE opinion though.

Respect

I agree with much of your statement, and talent-wise we are not yet "there," but this team has the talent that with a good coach they could easily win the SEC West.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Ar_Hog on January 13, 2011, 01:40:57 pm
Jan 1, 2007 in the Capital One Bowl
TCTWF!
Most of the people I know say it was the Vanderbilt game at home where cutler cut us up!

Triple T

I was one of the first to be skeptical, after that dismal 2-15 conference play I wanted him gone.

I really think it's starting to turn on Pel. Even my hugger friends are saying there is no excuse for last night. If we lose on Saturday This fanbase will erupt, I guarantee it

AcePigtura

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 13, 2011, 03:11:11 pm
Most of the people I know say it was the Vanderbilt game at home where cutler cut us up!

For me it was:

The Vegas Bowl, 0 for October, Capital One Bowl, Malzahn/Mustain-gate, and the Vandy loss.

snortman

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2011, 02:02:56 pm
He lost me in Vegas...

SOB never had me from day one. I was with Orville on this one.

Hootiethehog

i'm as much of an anti-nutt guy as you'll find, but your comment is asinine snortman. you're telling me in 98 you were all up in arms about how bad the coach was heading into the tennessee game with us sitting on an 8-0 record?

nutt lost me completely with the combination of the las vegas bowl and then losing to vandy. he flirted with bringing me back with the 2006 10 win season before he crapped it all away in the last three games

pelphrey got me excited with his first year, getting to the second round, something that hadn't beed done in a while, then again with the wins over texas and oklahoma and then with the recruiting class. i'm sick of being teased. we need a petrino-caliber hire and soon
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

Inhogswetrust

Ironically Bo and Jimmy are friends.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nextlevel

Quote from: Hootiethehog on January 13, 2011, 03:29:41 pm
i'm as much of an anti-nutt guy as you'll find, but your comment is asinine snortman. you're telling me in 98 you were all up in arms about how bad the coach was heading into the tennessee game with us sitting on an 8-0 record?

Yeah, I remember when he was hired thinking: "Well, if the best we can do is a losing coach from a school at Idaho, I guess it is the best we can do. We've been down in football and since moving to the SEC it has gotten worse, no one wants to coach here, I guess, so it must be the program and we can really only hope to win 6 games a year with 8 being a really good year, going to a bowl is better than not. We will just have to be patient, hope he learns on the job, and can figure it out. He does have a good pedigree working under some good coaches."

Lower your expectations and you will never be disappointed...

ell oh ell

Hootiethehog

nextlevel, i'm not talking about before he began. i'm talking specifcally about that first season where he re-energized the fanbase and got us in to national contention for a second or two. you would be hard pressed to find anyone that was as popular in the state as nutt was going into that game with tennessee. sadly, he lived on the success of that one season for eight years. and it wasn't even a whole season, just those first 8 games that fooled so many of us, especially the powers that be
Please note that my screen name is not an endorsement of any former coach at the University of Arkansas, nor does it mean I am in cahoots with the group that produces a yearly high school football magazine.
It is simply an old nickname I picked up 20 years ago with "thehog" added on to it.

wherestheD

Quote from: GUVHOG on January 13, 2011, 02:44:43 pm
He is making big money for a basketball commentator but I would be surprised if it's as much as a quality D1 head basketball coach makes. I believe Long could get him to take the job.

Are we really talking about wanting Jimmy Dykes as a coach?  Has he ever even coached basketball at any level?  I know he played and then was athletic director at shiloh and then went to espn.  Are you all legetimatly talking about him as wanting him to coach or are you just joking? 

PoormansRobbyHampton

Sad fact IS...

Just ONE opinion though.

Respect

Um. What? Our talent isn't rebuilt? Maybe you're right. I wish we knew who was in charge of rebuilding the talent around the program, maybe they'd take some constructive criticism.

Wait a second. The head basketball coach is in charge of recruiting basketball players, is he not? This is his fourth year in that capacity? Well shucks, I wonder when he'll be able to rebuild the talent base.

This is why Pelphrey stinks. It's put up or shut up time. I don't mind people still defending Pelphrey, but don't lie and give him excuses for his putrid performance when we should be much better.

My expectations are walked down. I'm to the point where I'd be ok with going to the NIT this year. In his fourth year. Stan Heath was in the Tournament in his fourth year. Nolan made it back in his third year, was in the Final Four in his fifth year, but Pelphrey can still squander winnable games on the SEC road and have people celebrating a potential NIT bid? I won't allow my expectations to be walked down anymore.

Lando Calrissian

Comparing Pel to Nutt isn't fair to Nutt.  ol'H is a snake, but he's much more competent (relative to Pel) at handling a major D-1 program.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

nextlevel

Quote from: Hootiethehog on January 13, 2011, 03:58:43 pm
nextlevel, i'm not talking about before he began. i'm talking specifcally about that first season where he re-energized the fanbase and got us in to national contention for a second or two. you would be hard pressed to find anyone that was as popular in the state as nutt was going into that game with tennessee. sadly, he lived on the success of that one season for eight years. and it wasn't even a whole season, just those first 8 games that fooled so many of us, especially the powers that be

I know.

Pel had the fanbase exited after a NCAA tourney win, the first in a while, followed the next year with an excellent non-conference record including wins over two top ten teams.

The parallels are unmistakable.

There's an old...saying in Kentucky...I know it's in Arkansas, probably in Kentucy that says Fool me once...(3 second pause)... Shame on...(4 second pause)...Shame on you....(6 second pause)...Fool me...Can't get fooled again."

ell oh ell

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 13, 2011, 04:06:54 pm
Comparing Pel to Nutt isn't fair to Nutt.  ol'H is a snake, but he's much more competent (relative to Pel) at handling a major D-1 program.

If you gave Hooter and Pelphrey equally talented basketball teams and played them at a neutral site, Hooter could probably motivate his team to winning two or three of them, right?

roundball

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 13, 2011, 03:11:11 pm

You mean the game where I left with just under 3 min and we had the ball up and got another first down, only to let them get the ball back and drive down the field and I get in my truck, turn on the radio, and find out we lost.  :puke:

heffy22

Dykes has coached a lot. Most notably at Kentucky with Sutton.

Flatfoot

This was my Vandy loss in 05 for Pelphrey!  This is Pel's fourth year, we should be better than this!  Sorry John time for you to go buh bye now.........
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

wherestheD

Quote from: heffy22 on January 13, 2011, 04:14:26 pm

so he went from and assistant with sutton to the AD of Shiloh?  I really don't know much about the guy's coaching past but I've never heard his name brought up for any coaching job anywhere.  Just thought it was odd his names getting thrown out there now

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: heffy22 on January 13, 2011, 04:14:26 pm
That is correct. Jimmy is a great guy and devout Christian. I know him. However he does not have head coaching experience on the college level on his resume which is normally required at this level. That being said he would be a good head coach and loves the hogs but doesn't want the hassle.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoopS

Man, folks are speaking favorably of Nutt to prove a point.   That isn't good.

Look, I think we deserve a top-notch coach too.   I just have my doubts that the ones who can get it done are driven to do so.  I'm simply trying to make lemonade out of the lemons we've been dealt and hoping for better.   
There is no excuse for the first half last night.   There's no excuse for us not pressing more.   

I personally think this roster can win.   I'm very disappointed with what I saw last night.   

Hog1952

Nothing Pel does in a game makes any sense to me,he won't even listen to the experienced coaches he has on the bench. He lost me in 09 also.
FIRE PEL!

187 MPH Lazers

Pel is a JOKE!!!!  This is my first ever post and it's sad that i've sat by and been an observer all of these years during Nutt and Heath's terrible stints in control, but i can honestly say that Pelphery is the worst head coach by far that we've ever had at a major sport since i've been alive.

I would serioulsy take Stan Piece back right now, at least he was competent.

We don't press, we're not big, we dont block out, he has no inbounds plays, burns all his timeouts can't win on the "road" where there's roughly 4,000 fans present, dresses badly, and looks like a tard before, during, and after the games.  oh and he runs every good player off and is insistent on playing Sanchez over Glen Bryant!  Why is he still here????

jgphillips3

The similarities to Nutt are building:

Overprotective AD who doesn't seem to realize what the fans know.

Supposedly good recruiting classes where the most talented either don't make it to campus or don't work out once there.

Unexpected victories coupled with mind-numbing, inexcusable loses.

No apparent scheme for success and the things he says he wants to do somehow never materialize.

There are probably more, but I have been fed up since 2009 and have just checked out.  I have better things to do with my time.  I'll get reinvested when the administration shows they are invested and makes the necessary changes.  To be fair, IF, and it seems a big IF, our entire class makes it to campus next year, I will tune in to see how it goes because even a terrible coach can be made to look good with outstanding talent and I will be real curious to see if they can overcome Pel and achieve.

heathtits

^
you forgot he hires only his buddies and throws assistants who really have no say under the bus.

nextlevel

Quote from: heathtits on January 13, 2011, 06:09:55 pm
^
you forgot he hires only his buddies and throws assistants who really have no say under the bus.

You can also add depends on talent already developed and ready to play to win or needs instate talent consisting of kids who love the slobbering hog on the court.

ell oh ell

Hawgrox

Quote from: HoopS on January 13, 2011, 04:45:24 pm
Man, folks are speaking favorably of Nutt to prove a point.   That isn't good.

That speaks volumes.... especially on Hogville...

GuvHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 13, 2011, 04:28:41 pm
That is correct. Jimmy is a great guy and devout Christian. I know him. However he does not have head coaching experience on the college level on his resume which is normally required at this level. That being said he would be a good head coach and loves the hogs but doesn't want the hassle.

He also played for the Hogs.

Ham Ham Pigelow

Sad fact IS...

Just ONE opinion though.

Respect
Same excuses different day. It's his fourth year. Jim Harris just did an article to explain my point further.

chortle

Quote from: snortman on January 13, 2011, 03:21:19 pm
SOB never had me from day one. I was with Orville on this one.

Me too.

I swear Clay Henry is adopted, there is no way he came from Orville's loin.

Boarford T. Justice

Quote from: chortle on January 13, 2011, 11:16:52 pm

Me too.

I swear Clay Henry is adopted, there is no way he came from Orville's loin.

"When I get home, I'm gonna punch your mama in the mouth...."

Couldn't resist
#FreeMarquel

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Lando Calrissian on January 13, 2011, 04:06:54 pm
that really says it all...
Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on January 13, 2011, 04:12:22 pm
If you gave Hooter and Pelphrey equally talented basketball teams and played them at a neutral site, Hooter could probably motivate his team to winning two or three of them, right?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

chortle

Quote from: Boarford T. Justice on January 13, 2011, 11:21:52 pm
"When I get home, I'm gonna punch your mama in the mouth...."

Couldn't resist

Well played, sir!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: nextlevel on January 13, 2011, 04:07:50 pm
I know.

Pel had the fanbase exited after a NCAA tourney win, the first in a while, followed the next year with an excellent non-conference record including wins over two top ten teams.

The parallels are unmistakable.

There's an old...saying in Kentucky...I know it's in Arkansas, probably in Kentucy that says Fool me once...(3 second pause)... Shame on...(4 second pause)...Shame on you....(6 second pause)...Fool me...Can't get fooled again."
THAT was the Dubya
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Spider-Pig

I want Pel gone too, but Jimmy Dykes? If we're going to throw names around atleast reasonable ones

WhenPigsFly

Just the simple fact that some would even consider a TV analyst an improvement in our coaching says a lot about the state of our program.

HF#1

Quote from: WhenPigsFly on January 14, 2011, 09:14:25 am
Just the simple fact that some would even consider a TV analyst an improvement in our coaching says a lot about the state of our program.

His wife is hawt...   That has to count for something..
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WhenPigsFly

Since we're talking about Dykes, just saw this on Wikipedia.  Didn't realize he'd done that much coaching.

"Before working for ESPN, Dykes served as an assistant basketball coach at University of Arkansas, Appalachian State University, University of Kentucky, Arkansas State University, University of Arkansas at Little Rock, and Oklahoma State University. He has also served as a scout for the NBA's Seattle Supersonics."