Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Pel close to signing Devonta Abron?

Started by HOGness4life, March 23, 2010, 03:38:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGness4life

It sure looks it: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Devonta-Abron-93722;_ylt=AlH5DT36stev_i_Tiu6akNU7s5B4

We have to give Coach Pelphrey time to get HIS players and HIS system in place before we judge him as a coach.

Clearly he is working hard on the recruiting trail and is bringing in studs as we speak. All he needs is time.

All hail Glorious Arkansas!!!! :razorback:

mmhogs17

And where does anything say he is close to signing with Ark.

Spider-Pig

He's a 2011 recruit, so I don't think so

I don't know why I'm responding to you but Pel has HIS players now and Pel DOESN"T have a system

Marshfieldhog

Pel isn't going to be around by 2011, he needed that guy this year.

razorhead94

No he is not close..he is a 2011 recruit.  The only guy pel should be worried about is ratliffe
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Wild Bill Hog

If he could bring in a 6'7" guard or two it would help him if he wants to save his job (assuming it is salvagable).

HOGness4life

QuoteAnd where does anything say he is close to signing with Ark.

I didn't do too well in English class but this is usually a good thing:

QuoteCollege Choices
School    Interest    Offer    Visit    Recruited by
Arkansas   High   Offered   None

mmhogs17

Quote from: HOGness4life on March 23, 2010, 03:45:41 pm

Just because his status on Arkansas is high but it is on other schools too and the list is in alphabetical order.

Hogbody

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 23, 2010, 03:38:59 pm
Wow another 6'7 guy who we don't need.

yah we are wasting our time with any 4* type guys

5* or bust for us!

Ham Ham Pigelow

Hey Pel-Pals,

1. The 2011 class won't matter because Pel won't be here. He better at least make the NCAA to get another year. You think our administration will keep Jeff Long around if Pel doesn't meet this standard? Nope.

2. I saw no indication from his Rivals page that we are "about to sign" this kid.

DoubleJ

Quote from: Hogbody on March 23, 2010, 04:26:32 pm
yah we are wasting our time with any 4* type guys

5* or bust for us!

Yep, that's what he was implying. ::)

3BoarsDown

Pel had his guys in year 2.

That excuse can be tossed out.

Pel needs to learn to retain his guys or recruit better character dudes, he needs to learn that somewhere else though. We have given him enough paid on-the-job training.

TMc

grayhawg

I don't think Pel will be here to sign ANY 2011 recruits.

Captain

Quote from: HOGness4life on March 23, 2010, 03:38:00 pm
It sure looks it: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncstate/basketball/recruiting/player-Devonta-Abron-93722;_ylt=AlH5DT36stev_i_Tiu6akNU7s5B4

We have to give Coach Pelphrey time to get HIS players and HIS system in place before we judge him as a coach.

Clearly he is working hard on the recruiting trail and is bringing in studs as we speak. All he needs is time.

All hail Glorious Arkansas!!!! :razorback:

I agree 100 percent.

UltimateHog

Whether you hate Pel or not, and whether he will be here in 2011 or not, don't go cutting possible recruits for no reason to them.

A 6'7" guard is exactly what we need, do you even know anything about basketball?

This kid is VERY talented and I would bet money on him being a Top 50 recruit (#64 now) by the time it's all said and done.

He has all the tools, on both ends of the floor and has the potential of a Marshawn Powell.

That was just an ignorant, uncalled for post on your part. Grow up.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

rude1

More apologists/relatives spin. I guess we are going to give Failphrey credit now for any kid that has Arkansas listed, to show how great of a job recruiting he is doing.

mhuff

I was kinda excited about the Juco 6'8" who was averaging 23 points and could rebound. That's what I am talking about. What happened to him?

UltimateHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 23, 2010, 09:39:44 pm
More apologists/relatives spin. I guess we are going to give Failphrey credit now for any kid that has Arkansas listed, to show how great of a job recruiting he is doing.

Well, Pel has done a pretty good job recruiting, but that really doesn't mean squat.

Anyone can come in to Arkansas and recruit a few high rated players, because of the facilities and history.

Nolan did, Heath did, and Pel has/can.

Whoever is the next HC, will also.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

Brass Knob

He is listed as a Power Forward... Why are some on here calling him a 6'7 guard?

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: mhuff on March 23, 2010, 10:08:02 pm
I was kinda excited about the Juco 6'8" who was averaging 23 points and could rebound. That's what I am talking about. What happened to him?

We need Ratliffe.  You're talking about McCombs.  He's pretty good, but we'd rather have Kadeem Jack and/or Ratliffe.  If Pel signs two, we're best off with Ratliffe and Jack.  The next best scenario would be Ratliffe and McCombs.  McCombs is good and all, but we need an elite big right now.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

HAM ELLIOT

Pel couldnt win the west if he recruited 5 Michael Jordans.

cardinalandwhite

You know, getting a 6'7" power forward has been known to work out from time to time.  The best PF ever to don the cardinal and white was generously listed at 6'7" and Powell is pretty close to that size as well.  Tennessee's signing a freshman PF who measures in at about 6'7 or 6'8" that Pel would likely kill for right now.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on March 23, 2010, 11:00:29 pm
Pel couldnt win the west if he recruited 5 Michael Jordans.

I think if we had the following lineup we might win the west:

Dwight Howard
Amare Stoudamire
LaBron James
Dwayne Wade
Chris Paul

Even then, it'd be an uphill battle.

mmhogs17

mmhogs17

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on March 23, 2010, 11:03:27 pm
You know, getting a 6'7" power forward has been known to work out from time to time.  The best PF ever to don the cardinal and white was generously listed at 6'7" and Powell is pretty close to that size as well.  Tennessee's signing a freshman PF who measures in at about 6'7 or 6'8" that Pel would likely kill for right now.

I am saying oh great another 6'7 guy because pel likes to try to use them as a center.

rude1

Quote from: UltimateHog on March 23, 2010, 10:48:49 pm
Well, Pel has done a pretty good job recruiting, but that really doesn't mean squat.

Anyone can come in to Arkansas and recruit a few high rated players, because of the facilities and history.

Nolan did, Heath did, and Pel has/can.

Whoever is the next HC, will also.
Well depends on your idea of what "pretty good recruiting" is. He has brought in 0 players out of the top 25. He has brought in 0 players out of the top 50. His best players are always guys in that 60-100 range, and there are only about 2 of those currently on the team, and 1 more coming next year. I am sorry that is not "PRETTY GOOD" recruiting IMO. If you are bringing in that kind of talent, you better be one hell of a coach if you are going to compete with the best in the conference. Failphrey is a good recruiter is as big of a joke as Failphrey is a good coach.

cardinalandwhite

Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 23, 2010, 11:05:54 pm
I am saying oh great another 6'7 guy because pel likes to try to use them as a center.

Actually Pel likes to play a 6'9" 220 lbs. soaking wet guy at center.

Foshodo

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on March 23, 2010, 11:04:37 pm

Dwight Howard
Amare Stoudamire
LaBron James
Dwayne Wade
Chris Paul

Only if, and its a BIG IF..., the sec west had another down year.  Then and ONLY then, h emight win the SEC west. But I still say we would lose in the first round if we made the NCAA tourney.

LibraryHog

Quote from: cardinalandwhite on March 23, 2010, 11:04:37 pm

Dwight Howard
Amare Stoudamire
LaBron James
Dwayne Wade
Chris Paul

Is that Lebron's little brother?
Maybe that's why we wouldn't do so well.

selfexplanatory

Quote from: LibraryHog on March 24, 2010, 01:29:27 pm
Is that Lebron's little brother?
Maybe that's why we wouldn't do so well.

Since you started it, is it Dwyane's lil brother as well?  Since the Heat guard's name is spelled different than Dwayne. :)
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

LibraryHog

Quote from: selfexplanatory on March 24, 2010, 01:42:35 pm
Since you started it, is it Dwyane's lil brother as well?  Since the Heat guard's name is spelled different than Dwayne. :)

I will admit, Dwyane's name is a little harder to spell.
And besides, LEBRON'S name is everywhere!! How could anyone misspell this?!?

pfrg999

If he's good bring it on..... Winning cures all.... I mean I don't think we will but I hope I am wrong and will savor every morsel of that crow....

RECRUIT THE BEST...... If Pel cant win (and that shows no sign that he will IMHO) We still need great players.... 4* and 5* needs the 3* to play the role... however we arent getting the 5 and 4*'s..... But a good player is welcome here IMHO
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

GuvHog

Quote from: rude1 on March 23, 2010, 11:48:05 pm
Well depends on your idea of what "pretty good recruiting" is. He has brought in 0 players out of the top 25. He has brought in 0 players out of the top 50. His best players are always guys in that 60-100 range, and there are only about 2 of those currently on the team, and 1 more coming next year. I am sorry that is not "PRETTY GOOD" recruiting IMO. If you are bringing in that kind of talent, you better be one hell of a coach if you are going to compete with the best in the conference. Failphrey is a good recruiter is as big of a joke as Failphrey is a good coach.

Go watch the videos of Ricky Scott, he's the real deal. The 3 that signed in November are really very good. Look for Scott to possibly be the starting SG next year.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

WMHawgfan

yeah we certainly don't need that 6'7 forward we brought in last year do we?

I am on the same side of the Pel fence as you but this statement was pretty lame.

GuvHog

Quote from: WMHawgfan on March 24, 2010, 03:44:21 pm
yeah we certainly don't need that 6'7 forward we brought in last year do we?

I am on the same side of the Pel fence as you but this statement was pretty lame.

True. People seem to forget that the starting Center on the '94 National Championship team was only 6'6" tall (Corliss).

NeverYield

If a kid is a 3 star or higher, I'd love to have him here, especially the way the last few seasons have gone.  I just wanna win, fast!  We need players, not just starters but bench players too.  I hope he joins the HOGS!!!
"You can take a boy out of ole' dixie land lord, but ju'll never take ole' dixie from a boy..."  -Ronnie VanZant

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 24, 2010, 03:50:06 pm
True. People seem to forget that the starting Center on the '94 National Championship team was only 6'6" tall (Corliss).

Corliss started at PF.  Dwight Stewart was the starting center at 6'9".   

Hogimus Prime

If the kid can play bring him in.    Who cares if he's a 6'7" forward.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on March 24, 2010, 05:05:04 pm
Corliss started at PF.  Dwight Stewart was the starting center at 6'9".   

It was just the opposite because Dwight "Big Dog" Stewart was a legit 3 point threat and made
several. He played facing the basket at PF on Offense but played in the middle on defense. Corliss
was the offensive low post player because he had no perimeter shot.

HOGness4life

Bunch of negative nancies on this thread.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: UltimateHog on March 23, 2010, 09:36:27 pm
Whether you hate Pel or not, and whether he will be here in 2011 or not, don't go cutting possible recruits for no reason to them.

A 6'7" guard is exactly what we need, do you even know anything about basketball?

This kid is VERY talented and I would bet money on him being a Top 50 recruit (#64 now) by the time it's all said and done.

He has all the tools, on both ends of the floor and has the potential of a Marshawn Powell.

That was just an ignorant, uncalled for post on your part. Grow up.

You will find many of the extreme haters have a limited BB IQ. There are legit reasons for concern, but some of the complaints are laughable and decrease the overall credibility of those voicing valid concerns.

The real Hogules

Quote from: HOGness4life on March 23, 2010, 03:45:41 pm

That could just mean that Abron's loves getting stoned and has heard from Fortson and other members of our basketball how good the weed is in NWA, thus he rated Arkansas "High".
;D
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hogimus Prime

Quote from: GUVHOG on March 24, 2010, 09:49:40 pm
It was just the opposite because Dwight "Big Dog" Stewart was a legit 3 point threat and made
several. He played facing the basket at PF on Offense but played in the middle on defense. Corliss
was the offensive low post player because he had no perimeter shot.

Stewart was the center.   If you want to get technical, neither one was the center on offense.  Corliss stuck his butt on the low block while Stewart went to the outside.  This caused multiple match up problems for the opposing team, cause it pulled the other teams bigman outside.

BigoBoys

Yep, all of his recruits that he has brought in have worked out well so far. 

HOGness4life

Still has our interest pegged as "high"!!!

All hail Glorious Arkansas! :razorback:

newera

We've had plenty peg us with high interest, and not sign... Cothron and Ratliffe just to name two...
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

HOGness4life

razorgary

Dwight Stewart with his big rear and Corlis new how to block out, we now don't know how to do that.