Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I SUPPORT COACH JOHN PELPHREY

Started by thirtythree, December 02, 2009, 10:17:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

thirtythree

And I could care less if any of you like it. Nothing you can say (150 times or more) will change that.

I just hope and pray that he turns this around so I can laugh in all of your faces when it happens.

Triple T

Oliver

Cool. 

I don't support John Pelphrey. 

tomahawkhog

that's the only reason you support him...you hold out hope that you can look like the lone ranger who stood beside Tonto, or are you Tonto standing beside the Lone Ranger?  Anyway, keep HOPE alive. 
Go Hogs!

forrest city joe

Quote from: thirtythree on December 02, 2009, 10:17:22 pm
And I could care less if any of you like it. Nothing you can say (150 times or more) will change that.

I just hope and pray that he turns this around so I can laugh in all of your faces when it happens.
Good. i just hope when he gets fired,you'll leave arkansas with him. since you seem to care more about him than you do the program.

thirtythree

Quote from: forrest city joe on December 02, 2009, 10:21:31 pm
Good. i just hope when he gets fired,you'll leave arkansas with him. since you seem to care more about him than you do the program.

Seems you left a long time ago. Fair weather fan!

forrest city joe

Quote from: Percy Polesmoker on December 02, 2009, 10:22:08 pm
Seems you left a long time ago. Fair weather fan!
Just leave with him thats all i ask.

tomahawkhog

There will be about 17,000 Fairweather fans missing Saturday
Go Hogs!

tkclark

Well at least he changed his name from thirtythree to something more appropriate

phadedhawg

Wow this thread turned my whole way of thinking about our team around....

Naa not really...

Have fun polishing the brass on the Titanic...

thirtythree

3kgthog

This is going to drag on like the Hootie saga. One small section of the fanbase will want to keep him. A huge section of the fanbase will want to fire him. The PTB won't care either way so they'll just keep on keepin' on and watch Razorback basketball die a slow, painful death.

HogBreath

With all due respect to those who continue to support Pel, the evidence will suggest he is a very poor coach.

I just can't fathom how anyone would think he's even a marginally effective coach, his tenure here reads like a how to not run a program, he's been a compete disaster.  Total failure.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hogsooey

Do you support him enough to buy my tickets for Saturday's game for face value?  No way I'm missing college football to watch that mess.  And, before you call me a fair weather fan, are you out there with me at nearly all the home football games, most of the home volleyball matches, many of the home b-ball matches, numerous home tennis matches and baseball games, and quite a few home track meets?

Marshfieldhog

Are you related to pel, that would be the only thing that makes sense...golfing buddy perhaps?

Rsvlhog

December 02, 2009, 10:33:22 pm #16 Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 10:36:03 pm by Rsvlhog
Quote from: 3kgthog on December 02, 2009, 10:28:31 pm
This is going to drag on like the Hootie saga. One small section of the fanbase will want to keep him. A huge section of the fanbase will want to fire him. The PTB won't care either way so they'll just keep on keepin' on and watch Razorback basketball die a slow, painful death.

I don't see them keepin on keepin on with 4 to 5 thousand fans at the game though. That will be the difference in my opinion. This small band of nit witt's that seem to have a larger allegiance to a coach than the program won't matter.
Quote from: threeNout

I still have images of JFB, holding a shotgun behind Altman, ala Deliverance,

"Go on boy, you call them Hogs, you call 'em good"

The_Iceman

I support Rotnei and the few on the team that show passion and heart.

I do not support John Pelphrey being the coach next season.

forrest city joe

Quote from: Rsvlhog on December 02, 2009, 10:33:22 pm
I don't see them keepin on keepin on with 4 to 5 thousand fans at the game though. That will be the difference in my opinion. This small band of nit Witt's that seem to have a larger allegiance to a coach than a the program won't matter.
Could not have said it better myself.SPOT ON!

hogfan x

Who is this new poster ?    ;)
Reminds me of someone else.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it." - Lou Holtz, Arkansas

smun83

I support Houston Nutt.  See I can make statements void of logic too.

Lando Calrissian

Thanks.
Quote from: Breems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haGfGkX-MbA&feature=youtube_gdata

Quote from: HawgBallLvrKentucky would be in the same position right now at #1 even with Pel as their HC.

Quote from: IronHogJohn Stockton wouldn't sniff today's NBA.

Quote from: jacksonpollackEvery time I look around in BWA I get dizzy. It is hard to judge the capacity. During the Auburn game I tried to count all the people in attendance but got lost at around 30,000.

heathtits

Toad Suck Pork

Quote from: heathtits on December 02, 2009, 10:56:15 pm
Always looking for new members Thirty Three.

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/cms/

Wow, where did you dig up that gem?  Despite my better judgement I clicked on the link.  Weird, wild stuff.

pfrg999

That is great you believe that... Does not make it smart or right... But you are entitled to have that opinion.... However we can make very a substantive case that the Razorback Basketball program is falling fast.... And you do not have that luxury.... However believe what you will... and after we only win 10 games this year... it will be harder and harder to put your head in the sand!!
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

Porkem

I feel so bad for these kids.  It's not the players fault.

I feel bad for all the Razorback fans.  Sorry Forrest City Joe.

John Pelphrey...shame on you!  You need to resign!

Fans that support Pelphrey...you're blind but...hopefully, maybe, someday you'll see the light.

Thirtythree...honestly, I think you're going to change your mind as this season wears on. As for the rest of the Pel supporters, come to the darkside...where you may see again.

I'm not giving up on you or the rest of the Pel supporters.
We're all Razorback fans. You just need to understand Pel
is bad for the program. Eventually, you will. I know that.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Calling All Hogs

Pel is doing great. I was thinking of going to the game Saturday but not sure if I can get tickets.

Porkem

Quote from: CallMeHog on December 02, 2009, 11:14:51 pm
Pel is doing great. I was thinking of going to the game Saturday but not sure if I can get tickets.

You are too ironic for your own good...lol.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

BuschHawg

Who left the Kool-Aid jar unattended?

upperdeck_hawg

I support John Pelphrey at his next SunBelt job next season.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

alohawg

YEAH! GO JOHN PELPHREY!!!!

No, really, just go....  :(
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

CalHog

Quote from: smun83 on December 02, 2009, 10:52:01 pm
I support Houston Nutt.  See I can make statements void of logic too.

The sad part is that it is probably the truth.

bao187

i want to support him, i like him, but i don't think he will be given the chance to turn it around. i don't know if he deserves it either. but i do want him to suceed, but it will not be with arkansas
Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

donewithdale

Quote from: Porkem Yung on December 02, 2009, 11:11:03 pm
I feel so bad for these kids.  It's not the players fault.

I feel bad for all the Razorback fans.  Sorry Forrest City Joe.

John Pelphrey...shame on you!  You need to resign!

Fans that support Pelphrey...you're blind but...hopefully, maybe, someday you'll see the light.

Thirtythree...honestly, I think you're going to change your mind as this season wears on. As for the rest of the Pel supporters, come to the darkside...where you may see again.

I'm not giving up on you or the rest of the Pel supporters.
We're all Razorback fans. You just need to understand Pel
is bad for the program. Eventually, you will. I know that.

Its not the players fault? 

Disclaimer:  This is not a defense of Pelphrey and I do believe he is done as coach by the end of the season at the latest.

These guys don't execute basic basketball fundamentals that they could have learned watching ESPN in the 6th grade.  I know AAU basketball is worthless in their development except they get to practice their bad habits while earning a living.  But understanding what is a good shot or not should not have to be taught to college So's, Jr's and Sr's.  I'll give Fr a very generous pass as they shouldn't be excused but we know how basketball has deteriorated.  I said it in another thread, before all else on the defensive end, stop the damn ball.  If you don't close the lane you might as well just not even cross halfcourt.  Just send someone down to get the ball out of the net to inbound. 

I feel somewhat sorry for some of these kids.  But they need to get their heads out of their butts too.  They shouldn't even need a coach to do better than this.  They should be able to pretend they are at the HPER and play smarter basketball than this. 

Tonight's game had zero entertainment value and that was the case even when the OU lead was single digits.  Crappy game. 

Porkem

It seems everybody I run into wants to defend Tejada. "Oh, it's not his fault." That focker couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Well, when a basketball player misses a shot...I'm going to pull that same chit..."Oh, it's not his fault."

Blame the coaches dale...the players, to some degree, but the coaches are the ones ultimately responsible.

LamarMundane

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 02, 2009, 10:28:31 pm

This is a mistake: Don't ever confuse the rantings of some fans on a message board as being representative of the fanbase as a whole.
I remember a poll the fan Silvertip commissioned prior to Nutt's last season which showed Nutt receiving a 60% Fair or Good rating, yet at the same time 90% of the posts here were trashing him. That's not surprising, considering the attendance was still high and the poll was on the heels of a 2006 trip to Atlanta. I doubt Pelphrey would get a 60% rating just by looking at the attendance at the games right now. That is probably a better guage than a message board, and even then I'm not sure how many of those people want him fired or just don't want to go watch this team struggle right now.

PoormansRobbyHampton

grayhawg

[/quote]Don't hold your breath; on second thought go ahead.

Kevin

i support him also.  roy williams could not win with the roster that has begun the season.

but this is fireville.net
fire pel
fire long for not firing pel
fire willy
fire john L

i wonder how many would have a job if your boss had your patience.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: bao187 on December 02, 2009, 11:59:50 pm
i want to support him, i like him, but i don't think he will be given the chance to turn it around. i don't know if he deserves it either. but i do want him to suceed, but it will not be with arkansas

Me too and I did support him up until this season. I completely understand that he is "undermanned" and he suspended players yada, yada, but damn if you watch one half of one game you will see that the team has no clue of what to do.

Our defense is terrible

Our offense... nevermind we don't have an offense. That is the same offense we run at the gym every saturday morning. me and four guys that I have never met play the same style of offense that the razorbacks run.

I like Pel, sure, but he is not a SEC coach, if he at least had a scheme for the guys to run we might win a game but he doesn't and that is so evident. Bring back Nolan as interim for the rest of the season, I guarantee if you took the same team to OU with nolan coaching we win.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Kevin on December 03, 2009, 07:53:58 am
i support him also.  roy williams could not win with the roster that has begun the season.

fire pel
fire willy
fire john L

College athletics is different from any other industry. Coaches lose their jobs a lot slower than anyone would in the private sector for similar terrible job performance such as has been exhibited by Pelphrey. If you kill a business like Pelphrey has over the past year and change, you'd be canned. With college athletics, it is more of a process, like turning around an aircraft carrier. Pel will not be here come mid-March. This is a lost season already, as was last season. So, apparently, the administration is content to let Pel hang himself between now and end of season even if it means further fan base loss. They hope to pick up everyone again when they get a new hire.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Kevin on December 03, 2009, 07:53:58 am

fire pel
fire willy
fire john L

yeah he could win. He might not win the SEC but he damn sure would beat ETS, SA, MS, and maybe the louisville game.

I don't get into the fire someone stuff, and I was a huge pel supporter last season, but watching the anemic offense and defense we play the writing is all over the wall.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

hawg-dawg

First of all, don't get me wrong, I respect Pelphrey and what he is trying to do.  But bottom line, he is in way over his head. His offensive scheme does not work, his defensive scheme does not work.  Sure he is short on players, but you don't see him make adjustments necessary for this team to even compete. Pelphrey will probably be a good coach in time, but that time just isn't now.
The best way to save face is to keep the lower half of it shut...

Kevin

right now, this team has one scorer.  there is no consistant 2nd score.  our pg is a quality ballhandler but not a playmaker at this point of his career.  we have no one who can break the defense down off the dribble.

powell is finding out how hard it is when coaches game plan for you.

again, nobody could win with this roster. 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jlmnjem

I would like to see Pelphrey succeed, because his success is the Razorback's success. However, unless he is willing to adapt to his situation, I just don't think he can get it done. This isn't just about fundamentals. This is about the system. He is forcing his players to fit into an offensive system that doesn't fit them. A good coach would either recruit players that fit into his system, or adapt his system to the players he has. I sat behind the wife of one of the assistant coaches last Sunday. I asked her why we don't run an offense that sets multiple screens for Rotnei along the baseline. Double screens, cascading screens, screen after screen after screen, then teach him how to use those screens (because he doesn't appear to know how to effectively use a screen). She replied that she has asked [her husband's name] that very question after every game, and he just says that he isn't calling the shots. I would be willing to bet that Pelphrey's system is identical, or at least very similar, to the one he ran as a player at Kentucky. It may be all he knows. It's obvious, though, that he isn't willing or capable of adapting the offense around the best 3-point shooter in the country. That is not good coaching.

thirtythree

Got a feeling that you will see his system in the next few games. When Fortson and Washington get back, I think you'll see that pick up nas well.

jlmnjem

Quote from: thirtythree on December 03, 2009, 08:23:50 am
Got a feeling that you will see his system in the next few games. When Fortson and Washington get back, I think you'll see that pick up nas well.

Even with Fortson in the game, the offense should still emphasize getting Rotnei open 3-point shot opportunities (for Pete's sake, if he can shoot 60%+ now, think how accurate he could be if he actually had open shots). Last year, Fortson and Rotnei had no chemistry. How many times have you seen Fortson break down the defense with dribble penetration to Rotnei's side of the floor, draw Rotnei's man, then kick it out for a 3? I watched a lot of games last year and I can't remember it happening. Washington was the biggest beneficiary of Fortson's presence, and I think that is evident from what he has shown this year without him. There is no question that Fortson is a great player, but he has an Allen Iverson scoring mentality (selfish) and that is not what we need from a PG. When he gets into the paint, his assists are equaled by the number of crappy shots he takes. Do I think we'll be better with him? Yes, of course, just because his basketball skills are better than anyone else we have. But we would be even better than that if he would not be afraid to let Rotnei outshine him.

thirtythree

Quote from: jlmnjem on December 03, 2009, 08:34:50 am
Even with Fortson in the game, the offense should still emphasize getting Rotnei open 3-point shot opportunities (for Pete's sake, if he can shoot 60%+ now, think how accurate he could be if he actually had open shots). Last year, Fortson and Rotnei had no chemistry. How many times have you seen Fortson break down the defense with dribble penetration to Rotnei's side of the floor, draw Rotnei's man, then kick it out for a 3? I watched a lot of games last year and I can't remember it happening. Washington was the biggest beneficiary of Fortson's presence, and I think that is evident from what he has shown this year without him. There is no question that Fortson is a great player, but he has an Allen Iverson scoring mentality (selfish) and that is not what we need from a PG. When he gets into the paint, his assists are equaled by the number of crappy shots he takes. Do I think we'll be better with him? Yes, of course, just because his basketball skills are better than anyone else we have. But we would be even better than that if he would not be afraid to let Rotnei outshine him.

I totally agree with this.

donewithdale

Quote from: thirtythree on December 03, 2009, 08:38:09 am
I totally agree with this.

Why do we think teams will leave Rotnei when we have no other player who has consistently shown they can hit a perimeter shot and Fortson hasn't proven he can consistently finish?  I see Fortson gets accused of being selfish because he took crappy shots.  He took what the defense gave him.  Just as I predicted last December, SEC teams developed a scouting report.  Its almost as simple as don't leave Washington (or Powell this season) in the post and Rotnei outside when Fortson penetrates.  Stop him from getting all the way to the basket and make him score.

MakeMeOink

33, Do you have season tix?  Do you donate to the Foundation?  If yes, then good for you.  Go cheer this sorry bunch till you go hoarse along with the other 1,200 people in attendance.  If not, DO NOT call those of us who see the obvious, that Pel has 50% of the players HE recruited gone and several of those still here are thugs, Fair Weather Fans!  I have spent 10's of thousands of $$$ since 1994 buying tix and in donations to the Foundation on the Razorback basketball program.  A program that has been destroyed by JFB, John White, Heath and Pel.  This is Pel's program, not Heath's.  Pel is responsible for this train wreck of a team, not Heath.  Welsh is a holdover and Pel could have run him off, but didn't.  All the rest are Pel's.  The ones that are here and more importantly the ones that AREN'T here.  We scored 47 fricking points last night against and bad OU team!  Screw Pel!