Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs Lose Tonight....

Started by 100+GM HAWG, February 13, 2008, 03:26:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

100+GM HAWG

I love John Pelphrey. He is what the program has desperately needed for the last 10 yrs. Nolan was great but stopped recruiting (Mike Anderson did it all) in 1997. Stan Heath recruited pretty well, but had zero passion and never could gain the respect of his team. He even had a team that quit on him and Arkansas turned down post season play.

Pelphrey combines recruiting and passion and demands respect. If you don't respect him, you won't play. However, as good as the Hogs have looked the last few games, I don't think the program is  ready to "win" in the environment they are going to see tonite. The team is senior laden. But they have history of inconsistency.

I'm excited about the future. Especially year after next when I feel like we will have a team to make a deep run in the tourney. (Beverley's Senior Year). But this group of players put out a nice effort tonight but the Vols run away late to a 8pt-15pt win.

So yes it's a big game, but don't go crazy if we get spanked a little bit.

elksnort

If the Hogs don't take care of the basketball, then you will be correct. If the Hogs do take care of the basketball, then the Hogs still might lose.

Our inside guys need to rebound and score some.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: elksnort on February 13, 2008, 03:31:10 pm
If the Hogs don't take care of the basketball, then you will be correct. If the Hogs do take care of the basketball, then the Hogs still might lose.

Our inside guys need to rebound and score some.
True, taking care of the ball and shot selection is the only chance we have to make it close.

returntoglory

we have to bang it inside and handle their pressure and i think we have a chance.

elksnort

What has our average turnover rate been the last 4 games? Under 12?

If don't turn the ball over (meaning Ervin and Welsh have had a good game), then we have a shot at winning it. We must punish them for pressing us, by go straight to the hole. We have a lot of depth down low. We need to use it. Outside missed shots bounce far away, so Beverly may be getting plenty of rebounds. Give Tennessee only one shot, like we did Florida.

Dropkick

CurlyTail

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on February 13, 2008, 03:32:43 pm
True, taking care of the ball and shot selection is the only chance we have to make it close.

Not turning the ball over will be a major factor, but it's by no means our only chance. The main thing we are going to have to do is try to contain Lofton (if he plays) or hope that he has an off night. Our perimeter defense has not shown enough this season for me to feel good about our chances of slowing down TN's backcourt. We just don't have any good on-the-ball defenders, and I have a bad feeling that when /if we come out in a zone the Vols will start getting lots of good looks from the perimeter, and that's the one thing we can't let happen, is to let them get hot shooting the ball.

Now we will have the advantage on the blocks, and IMO our best shot at coming away with the W will be to exploit that advantage. Our bigs will have to come to play though, and it will probably take an uncharacteristic effort out of them to pull off the upset. A typical Steven Hill-type effort will not cut it against this team.

Oliver

You'll know in the first 2 minutes of the game whether we have a chance or not.  If the refs let the teams play tonight, we have a good chance of winning.  If the refs are picky and call the game close, we have no shot. 

rljjr

Hey, we all thought we'd walk all over App St and SC East. I'm not calling for the upset, but I'm going to watch with optimism.

CincyVol

We don't have much of an inside game so if you can take it to Chism and Crews/B. Williams you've got a good chance of winning.

StoernerJonesFan

With the way we've been playing, bring on Memphis!  Just kidding...

But with the way we've been taking care of business and the fact that Tenn BARELY beat LSU (the worst team in the SEC, I think), gives me a lot of hope. 

Oh and use a better headliner for this thread.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: CincyVol on February 13, 2008, 03:41:21 pm
We don't have much of an inside game so if you can take it to Chism and Crews/B. Williams you've got a good chance of winning.
Thanks for the scouting report. But I'm sure Tenn. fans are feeling pretty good about this one. Rightfully so.

jry04

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 13, 2008, 03:40:52 pm
You'll know in the first 2 minutes of the game whether we have a chance or not.  If the refs let the teams play tonight, we have a good chance of winning.  If the refs are picky and call the game close, we have no shot. 
How do you figure? UT likes to play fast too. We are more physical than UT, and UT already fouls enough as it is. How would a more tightly called game play into UT's favor? We will be banging it inside and they already foul enough. They could get called for even more fouls. The first 2 minutes will not decide the game. We have came back from pretty big deficits before.

elksnort

I don't think that it will be that big of an upset if the Hogs win. I don't care is the game is in Knoxville. We beat them there 2 years ago. Having Ronnie Brewer and Eric Ferguson handle the ball certainly helped. I don't think that it is a must win, but I will be pissed if we don't give a great effort.

jry04

Quote from: elksnort on February 13, 2008, 03:44:57 pm
I don't think that it will be that big of an upset if the Hogs win. I don't care is the game is in Knoxville. We beat them there 2 years ago. Having Ronnie Brewer and Eric Ferguson handle the ball certainly helped. I don't think that it is a must win, but I will be pissed if we don't give a great effort.
Gary is a better guard than Jefferson and Ferguson.

elksnort

Yeah, Gary needs to stay IN CONTROL.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on February 13, 2008, 03:45:47 pm
Gary is a better guard than Jefferson and Ferguson.
None are as good as Mayberry and Beck. We will big again, when we get "great" guard play.. Hello Mr. Fortson

DeltaBoy

The Sports Fix reports 2 of UT starters are out with the FLU!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

CurlyTail

elksnort

Will Tennesse rally without them? The big dramatice situation, which Raycom will not let you forget.

100+GM HAWG

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 13, 2008, 03:50:57 pm
The Sports Fix reports 2 of UT starters are out with the FLU!
That could change a few things.. COULD... Depends on who it is.

CincyVol

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on February 13, 2008, 03:42:46 pm
Thanks for the scouting report. But I'm sure Tenn. fans are feeling pretty good about this one. Rightfully so.

You guys are hot right now, but I think we have flashbacks of last year on our mind. So, not feeling "good" but I think we will pull it out.

CincyVol

Quote from: CurlyTail on February 13, 2008, 03:52:14 pm
Smith and Lofton?

Jajuan Smith was quoted saying he's 90% and Lofton is his roommate so that could be a possibility. I doubt it though.

Beaverfever

Quote from: CincyVol on February 13, 2008, 03:55:48 pm
Jajuan Smith was quoted saying he's 90% and Lofton is his roommate so that could be a possibility. I doubt it though.
Most players will overstate their health.  Remember when DMAC had broken ribs and he was %100.

elksnort

I am going to say that if Townes, Thomas, Washington, and even Hill rebound and score above their average, the HOGS WIN.

It will have meant that the guards got them the ball in position to do something with it.

ALLVOL

ALLVOL

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 13, 2008, 03:40:52 pm
Actually I think you are backwards on this one. The style UT plays does not lend itself to toucch calls at all. The only saving grace for UT is that the Hogs are not the best at the stripe. Believe me Pearl would much rather they let them play.

arkjay19

Arkansas on a hot streak, playing great defense, Weems and Beverley lighting it up, Tennessee's confidence down after scraping by LSU in a horrible game, Juwan Smith not playing . . . . . . . . . .

There are a lot of things going Arkansas's way heading into this game.  I'm not gonna pick against Arkansas, just like I didn't pick against the Giants.

CRAZYHAWG65

PRESSSURE,PRESURE,MORE PRESSURE, GO INSIDE,MAKE THEM FOUL, HOGS WILL WIN

returntoglory

aww.. that's cute... hogville flirting...lol

pfrg999

If they play the way they have been there is no reason they can't win...
Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

ALLVOL

Quote from: pfrg999 on February 13, 2008, 05:01:34 pm
If they play the way they have been there is no reason they can't win...
I think if both play to their ability we will win. But I like your positive attitude. Good fan!

football-writer

Quote from: returntoglory on February 13, 2008, 04:43:05 pm
aww.. that's cute... hogville flirting...lol

Question is...is FillipinaRazorback's avatar her...or is HogZ28 simply looking at cleavage?
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

Dropkick

Quote from: ALLVOL on February 13, 2008, 04:03:29 pm
Actually I think you are backwards on this one. The style UT plays does not lend itself to toucch calls at all. The only saving grace for UT is that the Hogs are not the best at the stripe. Believe me Pearl would much rather they let them play.
Good point. I think the UT press will be the key.

Dropkick

I hope both teams are at full strength so we can get a gauge of where we are.

40MINSOFHELL

LMAO Rick Schaffer just said Tennessee is where Arkansas was in the mid 90's WTH they havent made it past the sweet 16!

Dropkick

If they win the dance this year and make it back to the finals in '09 then they will be where we were in the mid 90s.

Sunshine, what a guy!

40MINSOFHELL

they wont win the dance, there are better teams than tenn. this year, i think uconn can beat tenn.

cashmoneyman_04

86-84 hogs lead with 48 seconds left.....lofton hits shot with 5 on shot clock to tie it at 86....hogs have 18 seconds left to win the game....with 8 seconds weems starts his drive pulls up....shoots a fade away for the W.....hogs win 88-86
Fool me once, strike one....Fool me twice......strike 3
Pippity Poppity give me the Zoppity
You have to play to win, but you have to win to play

40MINSOFHELL

Quote from: cashmoneyman_04 on February 13, 2008, 05:30:14 pm
86-84 hogs lead with 48 seconds left.....lofton hits shot with 5 on shot clock to tie it at 86....hogs have 18 seconds left to win the game....with 8 seconds weems starts his drive pulls up....shoots a fade away for the W.....hogs win 88-86

i love this and then the look on the ut fans....oh it would be great to see them in shock HAHAHAHAHA

rljjr

Quote from: cashmoneyman_04 on February 13, 2008, 05:30:14 pm

If that happens I'll have a major heart attack before the ball goes through the bottom of the net. Still, I hope we win, just without me having to check out.

football-writer

Quote from: rljjr on February 13, 2008, 05:35:46 pm
If that happens I'll have a major heart attack before the ball goes through the bottom of the net. Still, I hope we win, just without me having to check out.

Good point...having a death at the final buzzer would be a real drag.  Afterall, there's still the rest of the season to think about.  :D
Bobby Petrino...putting fear into opposing SEC coaches one recruit at a time

WADHOG

Quote from: 100+GM HAWG on February 13, 2008, 03:26:45 pm
I love John Pelphrey. He is what the program has desperately needed for the last 10 yrs. Nolan was great but stopped recruiting (Mike Anderson did it all) in 1997. Stan Heath recruited pretty well, but had zero passion and never could gain the respect of his team. He even had a team that quit on him and Arkansas turned down post season play.

Pelphrey combines recruiting and passion and demands respect. If you don't respect him, you won't play. However, as good as the Hogs have looked the last few games, I don't think the program is  ready to "win" in the environment they are going to see tonite. The team is senior laden. But they have history of inconsistency.

I'm excited about the future. Especially year after next when I feel like we will have a team to make a deep run in the tourney. (Beverley's Senior Year). But this group of players put out a nice effort tonight but the Vols run away late to a 8pt-15pt win.

So yes it's a big game, but don't go crazy if we get spanked a little bit.

Sounds like Stan Heath has logged in as a member.  It's this attitude that allows a team to get complacent.  There is no reason for this team lead by seniors to get "spanked" by anyone.  IMO.

WholeHogSmoker

I believe were going to see the Hog's best effort of the year.  We must go at least 5-3 over the next 8 games to win the west and this game could start us off right. 

They will be focused and give Tennessee all they can handle.  Book it! 

rhinohog84

We just have to out hustle them.  Plain and simple.  We hustle harder, we win.  We don't we lose to the likes of South Carolina and Georgia

rcowen

I don't think we're gonna lose.

If we do It's gonna be a close one. Vegas has us as an underdog by 10.

Take the hogs with the points, you can't lose!

EastMemphisHog

Two words.....

GUARD LOFTON!!!!

I'm going to be so pissed if he just effortlessly throws up those crazy shots and starts sending them home. We need him to fall back into his slump. Aside from him...we also really need to watch out for Tyler Smith. Dangerous.

rcowen

Quote from: cshivley1 on February 13, 2008, 06:32:49 pm
Two words.....

GUARD LOFTON!!!!

I'm going to be so pissed if he just effortlessly throws up those crazy shots and starts sending them home. We need him to fall back into his slump. Aside from him...we also really need to watch out for Tyler Smith. Dangerous.

Two words:

COVER TEN!

If we cover ten points i'm gonna be ahead on rent another month!

slopinhogs

i've hreard that teh visiting team is 10 points dounn before theopening tip but i think coach Pel is worth 8 of those. if Hogs take care of business the Vols can fall. Kentucky proved that. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

LRCentralTiger

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on February 13, 2008, 05:15:53 pm
LMAO Rick Schaffer just said Tennessee is where Arkansas was in the mid 90's WTH they havent made it past the sweet 16!
He was talking about the fan excitement for the basketball program and the renovation of their arena.  At no time did he say Tennessee was at the basketball team the Hogs were.  He can say dumb things but he did not make that statement.