Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC and other college basketball transfers

Started by jbcarol, March 30, 2012, 09:38:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Dogtown Donkey

March 30, 2012, 09:41:49 am #1 Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 09:47:25 am by Dogtown Donkey
Didn't know Chuck Guy was leaving UALR.

Fatty McGee

Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

husker71

I love lists like this one and the coaches changing jobs one.  Best player on that list is Trey Ziegler of Central Michigan whose dad just got fired at that school.  Nearly 20 pts a game and pretty good all around 6'5" wing. 

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: husker71 on March 30, 2012, 12:07:26 pm
I love lists like this one and the coaches changing jobs one.  Best player on that list is Trey Ziegler of Central Michigan whose dad just got fired at that school.  Nearly 20 pts a game and pretty good all around 6'5" wing.

Yeah, he's going to end up a big time program. Offered by Duke, Michigan, Michigan State, Arizona, and UCLA out of high school. I doubt opinions have changed.

jbcarol

"I appreciate everything that Julysses did for the Razorback program during his three years.  He is a good young man who will continue to grow and mature.  I wish him the best as he pursues another opportunity to play basketball and earn his degree."

-- Mike Anderson
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Dogtown Donkey

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on March 30, 2012, 12:09:26 pm
Yeah, he's going to end up a big time program. Offered by Duke, Michigan, Michigan State, Arizona, and UCLA out of high school. I doubt opinions have changed.

Zeigler ended up at Pitt. Apparently, his dad got his start in coaching with Jamie Dixon as assistants under Ben Howland.

jbcarol

Quote from: Dogtown Donkey on March 30, 2012, 09:41:49 am
Didn't know Chuck Guy was leaving UALR.

Swopshire landed at Northwestern and I believe he is eligible for '12-13.

jbcarol

jbcarol

UofL guard Elisha Justice is transferring to UPike where he will have two to play two. Justice was Kentucky's Mr. Basketball at Shelby Valley.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Former Bama G Charles Hankerson, Jr. is transferring to Wyoming

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: jbcarol on April 05, 2012, 10:37:03 am
"I appreciate everything that Julysses did for the Razorback program during his three years.  He is a good young man who will continue to grow and mature.  I wish him the best as he pursues another opportunity to play basketball and earn his degree."

-- Mike Anderson
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This one suprised me.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

jbcarol

Former Xavier PG Mark Lyons plans to play his senior season at Arizona for former XU coach Sean Miller.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Texas Tech has had three transfers reported in the last five days: Guard Javarez Willis will transfer to Ohio Bobcats as of last Friday at 4 PM.

East coast guards Terran Petteway and DeShon Minnis are looking to transfer; perhaps to the A-10.

jbcarol

With Abron's intention to transfer, the length of the list just since the end of the spring semester now approaches 500.

jbcarol

It's becoming the new wave of recruiting. Scour the mid-major ranks for anyone that has graduated on time who still boasts remaining eligibility.

QuoteWright State's Billy Donlon just lost his best player, Julius Mays, to the defending national champion Kentucky Wildcats. Mays spent his first two seasons at N.C. State, then transferred to Wright State -- where he sat out two years ago and then averaged 14 points last season.

"It's a difficult rule, even as a guy going through it," Donlon said. "I see both sides of it. What's changed, though, is it's becoming more of a business for the student-athletes. There's just not much loyalty to the school, to the coaching staff in today's college game. I don't want that to come across as negative to Julius, but that's what it is."

Xavier's Mark Lyons will also take advantage of the rule this year, going to Arizona and being able to play this season. But his case was different in that Musketeers coach Chris Mack felt it was the right move for Lyons to leave the program.

jbcarol

Physical freshman 6-9 forward Octavius Ellis from Memphis will be available to transfer from Cincinnati.

He is hoping for a medical red shirt for the '11-12 season.

jbcarol

Since the end of the '11-12 season, TTech's Billy Gillispie has only had six  players transfer.

jbcarol

Katz: Living in an era of transfers

Quote2. College basketball is in an era of transfers and another example of this is the attention 5-foot-9 Illinois State freshman Nic Moore is commanding. Moore had a solid freshman season for Tim Jankovich and the Redbirds -- averaging 10 points, 3.9 assists and 2.3 turnovers a game. Jankovich went to SMU to be coach-in-waiting, Vanderbilt assistant Dan Muller was hired, and now Moore wants out.

jbcarol

New Tulsa head coach Danny Manning has added 6-7 Northeastern transfer forward Kauri Black. Black has graduated and will be eligible to play his last season immediately.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Former Auburn players Willy Kouassi, Bernard Morena transferring to Kennesaw State

QuoteThe players' high school coach and guardian, Darien Knox said the players also considered Louisiana Tech, Monmouth, Mississippi State, Tulane and Illinois State.

Kouassi and Morena are natives of the Ivory Coast who were teammates at Birmingham's Central Park High School. They received an unconditional release to transfer from Auburn in March.

Morena, a 6-foot-8 forward, took a redshirt this season after suffering an injury. Kouassi, a 6-10 center, averaged 1.5 points and 2.6 rebounds in 25 games.

jbcarol

Florida has received a transfer commitment from South Carolina 6-9 forward/center Damontre Harris

QuoteHarris finished second in the Southeastern Conference in blocked shots last season, averaging 2.3 blocks per game.

Harris averaged 6.8 points and 5.5 rebounds for South Carolina last season. A rising junior, Harris will have two years of eligibility when he arrives on UF's campus. Under NCAA transfer rules, Harris won't be eligible until the 2013-14 season unless he receives a waiver.

jbcarol

Minutes ago, Florida coach Billy Donovan weighed in on potential Division I transfer reform this week at the Southeastern Conference spring meetings in Destin.

QuoteDonovan said he believes the high number of transfers in Division I basketball is directly related to increased NCAA recruiting restrictions over the past decade.

"There are situations because of the recruiting situation is set up that coaches and players make a lot of bad choices," Donovan said. "I think coaches make bad choices in terms of who they're recruiting and I think players can make bad choices of schools because there isn't that intimate relationship that you had a lot of previous years in recruiting, where you could really get to know the kid and the kid could get to know you."

The Gators lost another player to transfer this offseason when freshman forward Walter Pitchford decided to leave the program in April to be closer to his family in Michigan. Pitchford was the sixth Florida basketball player to transfer since 2008...

jbcarol

Katz: The NCAA continues to have a transparency problem with transfer waivers.

QuoteNCAA spokesperson Stacey Osburn denied to make available anyone from the committee who handles the waivers or staff members who make direct decisions on these transfer requests.

Instead, she referenced a question and answer session on the NCAA website on transfer issues: The question and answer session, which doesn't include names of anyone who actually makes the decisions, includes a passage that the NCAA approved 91 transfer waivers from April 2011 to April 2012 and denied 71.

But the reasons for each must be given. The Zeigler and Smith cases are high-profile, and accountability has to be offered for reasons why a player is denied or allowed to skip the year-in-residence requirement.

When NCAA president Mark Emmert was hired, he met with the media and promised that there would be more transparency.

jbcarol

Rick Pitino grants Van Treese his release. Puts PF on waivers.

QuoteLouisville may have fixed its scholarship problem today as Evan Daniels reports that Stephan Van Treese will transfer and has been given his release by U of L.

A 6-foot-8 forward out of Indianapolis, Van Treese missed all but three games last year because of injury. He could apply for a waiver to play right away. As a sophomore in 2010-11, Van Treese started 12 games for the Cardinals. He averaged 4.2 points and 4.6 rebounds in Big East play. He played in 15 games as a freshman.

Louisville is over the scholarship limit after getting a commitment Monday from former Virginia Tech signee Montrezl Harrell.

The numbers worked out for UofL. They always do.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Former Ole Miss and Memphis McDonald's All-American Jalen Kendrick will be looking for his next stop.

jbcarol

Former KU small forward Merv Lindsay is transferring to New Mexico to play for Steve Alford.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Rick Pitino gave Rakeem Buckles his release and optioned him to his farm club, FIU coached by Richard Pitino.

UofL has cap room going into '12-13.

jbcarol

Clay: Having failed as NBA general manager, guess Rick Pitino hopes to do better with his college waiver-wire deals.

QuoteRakeem Buckles, the oft-injured forward who will be taking his talents (and injured knee) to Florida International to play for Richard Pitino, son of Rick.

This news follows the recent exodus (pushing out) of Stephan Van Treese to make room for new signee Montrezl Harrell.

Does handing Buckles a bus ticket mean that freshman point guard Terry Rozier is eligible?