Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not so Fresh Legs

Started by claycohog, December 23, 2007, 06:18:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

claycohog

Has anyone but me thought that our shooting woes were caused by grueling practices?  Don't get me wrong, I like the style of play more than anyone else.  We hustle and seem to play hard 40 minutes a game, but the fact is we can't hit the broad side of a barn.  We have never been a great shooting team, but this is ridiculous.  We can't even shoot the ball very well in BWA.

Unless something changes look for the same type of performances in conference play that we have witnessed the past few years.  You have to be able to score to win on the road.  When it all comes out in the wash putting the ball in the hole is the main objective in basketball.  Maybe this group just doesn't have it.

RIGHT NOW I'm not willing to lay the blame on Pelphrey just yet.

ashleyswine

i think we just don't have a very talented team     let's give Pelphrey a chance to get his own recruits in the door  and see what happens

PORKER1

Pelphrey needs to get HIS own players to be effective. He has help coming. Arkansas will be back so don't worry.

hogninja

Why blame the coach if the current players can't shoot?  He has their attention,they just didn't execute and the other team shot 67% making everything they threw up (causing me to :puke: myself). Pel will get it done.  If tough practices cause you to lose ball games, then so be it.  Better than the soft teams of past years.  These guys are playing together as a team, win as a team-lose as a team. Haven't seen that in a while and I can accept growing pains until Pel can get a few recruiting classes of his own in here and work with them.  If we make the tourney and win 1 game, we have improved.  That is my minimal goal for this team.  Look at the losses. Aberration with Providence (overconfidence?), OK--well they may be better than expected, and a team that hit everything they tossed up along with a lid on our bucket.  Not the end of the world and I love the way we are passing the ball to the open man, just have to hit the shot. :razorback:

jdevers

Our problem Saturday was not that we weren't shooting well.  We shot 47% from the field, that should be enough to win in a fast break offense.  The problems were first we barely hit half of our free throws and they hit virtually all of theirs and second we gave them an open lane to the goal over and over all day. 

claycohog

I'm sorry, I thought you had to shoot the basketball to make free throws.  I'm trying to come up with a logical explanation of why we are shooting so horrible from the perimeter.  Welsh and Beverly can shoot the basketball.  Weems and Ervin are streaky shooters at best, but we haven't seen a good streak yet.

Oklahawg

Fair question.

Nolan's teams that shot well never had problems with Nolan's grueling workouts.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

DoghouseHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 23, 2007, 10:59:54 pm
Fair question.

I think it's still early in the season.  They probably aren't quite used to Pelphreys practices mixed in with games yet.  Maybe I'm wrong, but time will tell.

Kevin

out of the top 8 players that play name the players you would say are good shooter's

beverly-got hit with a paternity suit this week

welsh-playing out of position at point

outside those two, we don't have good shooters, who play

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jgphillips3

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 23, 2007, 10:59:54 pm
Fair question.

That was my thought exactly.  Nolan's kids used to say that games were "easy" after the way they practiced.  I seriously doubt that Pel is any harder than Nolan was - maybe equally, but harder I can't imagine.  These kids can't shoot in general and Beverly is in a Sophmore slump.  Also, Beverly may be tired from playing on the National Team in the summer.