Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Calipari is a...

Started by Iwastherein1969, June 26, 2015, 06:17:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Iwastherein1969

d-bag of the highest order...He sits there with that smirk on his face basically taking all the credit for what's happening around him at the NBA draft...One day that high horse will come tumbling down as it always does for people who ride them...One can only lament that an aging John Chaney, but not so aged in 1994, could have delivered on his promise (to put a beat down on Cal) in that all-too famous Calipari [post Temple game] presser...the outburst by Chaney came after one of Cal's goons was sent in to put the hurt on Chaney's star center...pure Calipari tactics...his fall can't come soon enough
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

yraciv

Great recruiter and above average coach. Many very good coaches before him couldn't lead UK to their current level. Yes he'll take some credit because you've always got to keep recruiting, but he'll go to war defending his players and is always there for them in their big moments. I respect that! How many other coaches were there last night? I honestly don't know.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 26, 2015, 06:17:33 am
d-bag of the highest order...He sits there with that smirk on his face basically taking all the credit for what's happening around him at the NBA draft...One day that high horse will come tumbling down as it always does for people who ride them...One can only lament that an aging John Chaney, but not so aged in 1994, could have delivered on his promise (to put a beat down on Cal) in that all-too famous Calipari [post Temple game] presser...the outburst by Chaney came after one of Cal's goons was sent in to put the hurt on Chaney's star center...pure Calipari tactics...his fall can't come soon enough

Chaney was so mad he didn't just threaten a beatdown.................he threatened to kill him! One of my favorite non-game coach moments I ever saw.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pork Twain

Yup and I am sure if our coach was as successful as him and pulling in top classes and pumping out top picks, we would hate him too.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

kaki

Quote from: Pork Twain on June 26, 2015, 07:54:35 am
Yup and I am sure if our coach was as successful as him and pulling in top classes and pumping out top picks, we would hate him too.
From reading your response, this is likely wasted--but a successful dick is still a dick.

hoglady

Did anyone hear the Jalen Rose comment last night??
They were discussing the Kentucky players waiting to hear their name called in the 2nd round - were talking about a few of them who should have stayed in school.
Rose basically said - they had no choice, at Kentucky you are pushed out the door by the incoming class, so sometimes you have to leave even when you aren't ready.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hogfaniam

Quote from: kaki on June 26, 2015, 08:51:47 am
From reading your response, this is likely wasted--but a successful dick is still a dick.

And he owes me money
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Letsroll1200

a head coach that has attracted some of the best basketball talent in High School basketball. Say what you want to about the guy but you can't knock his results on the court.

outlawhogeywells

Calipari is there for one reason only.  Exposure.  He is there to be seen by all his "future" recruits so they will think he is the reason all these kids are getting drafted.  These kids that played for KY were lottery picks and first round picks before they set foot on the KY campus. 
Might want to go ask the Harrison twins about how he prepared them for the NBA draft

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 26, 2015, 09:31:14 am
a head coach that has attracted some of the best basketball talent in High School basketball. Say what you want to about the guy but you can't knock his results on the court.

I'll give you a) but b) I do knock.

I will say this.  It's hard for a coach to be the whole package.  Recruit, motivate, manage the program and actually be able to coach.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Rocket23

World-Wide Wes!  Enough said.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on June 26, 2015, 09:36:19 am
Calipari is there for one reason only.  Exposure.  He is there to be seen by all his "future" recruits so they will think he is the reason all these kids are getting drafted.  These kids that played for KY were lottery picks and first round picks before they set foot on the KY campus. 
Might want to go ask the Harrison twins about how he prepared them for the NBA draft

Good point! The Harrison twins went from Lottery picks to second round guys after leaving the Kentucky program.

hoglady

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on June 26, 2015, 09:46:09 am
Good point! The Harrison twins went from Lottery picks to second round guys after leaving the Kentucky program.

Heck Aaron went from Lottery pick to not being drafted at all.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

opineonswine

AMEN....what a pimp.

Pork Twain

I would take the results Cal has provided Kentucky.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

onebadrubi

Quote from: opineonswine on June 26, 2015, 10:40:04 am
AMEN....what a pimp.

Same reason he was court side for short stints in the NBA playoffs.

TNhawgfan

Cal has 4 lottery picks taken, is there to congratulate them in their moment, is interviewed on camera, and all i can think is man i wish CMA didn't have to recruit against this guy for Monk
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

WarPig88

Quote from: yraciv on June 26, 2015, 07:19:52 am
Great recruiter and above average coach. Many very good coaches before him couldn't lead UK to their current level. Yes he'll take some credit because you've always got to keep recruiting, but he'll go to war defending his players and is always there for them in their big moments. I respect that! How many other coaches were there last night? I honestly don't know.

Out of Kentucky's last 7 coaches, 5 of them have won NC's. Kentucky was attracting top recruits long before Calipari was even considered a possibility there.

So who are the "many" coaches that failed to perform at Kentucky?

Biggus Piggus

The Kentucky hype succeeded in getting WCS drafted sixth and Trey Lyles picked 12th. These guys are going to be career-long role players in the NBA. Some vastly more talented players were passed over in both spots.

Go to Kentucky! Get overdrafted! Become despised for your shortcomings for the rest of your life. Good plan.
[CENSORED]!

Pork Twain

June 26, 2015, 12:11:11 pm #20 Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 12:36:50 pm by Pork Twain
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 26, 2015, 11:56:12 am
The Kentucky hype succeeded in getting WCS drafted sixth and Trey Lyles picked 12th. These guys are going to be career-long role players in the NBA. Some vastly more talented players were passed over in both spots.

Go to Kentucky! Win a ton of games and be a National Championship contender annually! Get overdrafted! Make millions!
Yup those are all things 15-22 year old kids hate.

latrops

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 26, 2015, 11:56:12 am

Go to Kentucky! Get overdrafted! Become despised for your shortcomings for the rest of your life. Good plan.

So why didn't the Harrison twins and Dakari Johnson get overdrafted?  I don't remember much hype around Trey Lyles.

Plenty of top 15 picks end up as role players at best. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: latrops on June 26, 2015, 12:51:38 pm
So why didn't the Harrison twins and Dakari Johnson get overdrafted?  I don't remember much hype around Trey Lyles.

Plenty of top 15 picks end up as role players at best. 

They did.
[CENSORED]!

20gauge

Stein wont be in the NBA in 3 to 4 years. Averaged 7 points 7 rebounds his entire college career I think. At 7 ft. and as athletic as he is and only averaged 7 rebounds seriously. when was the last timea top 10 pick had numbers like that.

sickboy

yraciv

June 26, 2015, 05:18:54 pm #25 Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 06:01:51 pm by yraciv
Quote from: WarPig88 on June 26, 2015, 11:23:04 am
Out of Kentucky's last 7 coaches, 5 of them have won NC's. Kentucky was attracting top recruits long before Calipari was even considered a possibility there.

So who are the "many" coaches that failed to perform at Kentucky?

I never said failed. I said couldn't lead them to their current level.  Last years UK team was talked about as one of the best ever.

Career win % of Kentucky head coaches.
2009–Present*   John Calipari   6   190-37   .837
1930-72   Adolph Rupp   41   876-190   .822
1989-97   Rick Pitino   8   219-50   .814
1997-2007   Orlando "Tubby" Smith   10   263–83   .760
1972-85   Joe B. Hall   13   297-100   .748
1985-89   Eddie Sutton   4   88–39   .693
2007-2009   Billy Gillispie   2   40-27   .597

Like I said, lots of good coaches on that list with success elsewhere.  Pitino has 2 national championships, 1 at UK, and Tubby has 1 that he won with Pitino's players.  Joe B Hall got 1.  Rupp is obviously on a different level, but it hty good company.  Most people would put him at 2 or 3 on the history of UK basketball coaches which is mighty good company to keep.

lefty08

Quote from: yraciv on June 26, 2015, 05:18:54 pm
I never said failed. I said couldn't lead them to their current level.  Last years UK team was talked about as one of the best ever.

Like I said, lots of good coaches on that list with success elsewhere.  Pitino has 1 national championship, and Tubby has 1 that he won with Pitino's players.  Joe B Hall got 1.  Rupp is obviously on a different level, but it hty good company.  Most people would put him at 2 or 3 on the history of UK basketball coaches which is mighty good company to keep.

It was all talk. They lost in the final four. To Wisconsin.  Wisconsin.

Wisconsin
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

yraciv

Quote from: lefty08 on June 26, 2015, 05:51:17 pm
It was all talk. They lost in the final four. To Wisconsin.  Wisconsin.

Wisconsin

Wisconsin who was led my the national player of the year and another Top 20 pick and both brought their A game.  Kentucky did not that 1 game.  From the complete body of work, that is one of the best teams ever assemble in my opinion.  The best team doesn't always win in March, although Wisconsin was very good.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Rocket23 on June 26, 2015, 09:44:58 am
World-Wide Wes!  Enough said.

I was wondering why no-one had given credit to the real reason behind his recruiting success.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Kentucky lost in the first rd. of the NIT with several Mcdonald AA's on the roster.....This past season's success was delivered with a mix of  Sophomores/Juniors AA's. 

Big Blue Nation is about to get a major dose of reality in 2015/16
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on June 26, 2015, 06:17:33 am

I've been away for a while. Did Cauley-Stein go before or after Portis?

I will PM you where to send the check.  :D
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on June 26, 2015, 09:37:49 pm
I was wondering why no-one had given credit to the real reason behind his recruiting success.

It'$ not hard to under$tand and know the real rea$on$ for hi$ $ucce$$........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gmarv

I for one am glad we don,t have the cheater as our coach.....

mizzouman

Quote from: yraciv on June 26, 2015, 07:19:52 am
Great recruiter but below average coach.

mizzouman

I don't think Cal has ever made a player better.

mizzouman

Like I said, lots of good coaches on that list with success elsewhere.  Pitino has 2 national championships, 1 at UK, and Tubby has 1 that he won with Pitino's players.  Joe B Hall got 1.  Rupp is obviously on a different level, but it hty good company.  Most people would put him at 2 or 3 on the history of UK basketball coaches which is mighty good company to keep.
Some of those wins will be vacated soon enough.

EastexHawg

June 27, 2015, 07:56:05 pm #36 Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 08:14:31 pm by EastexHawg
Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 26, 2015, 07:21:48 am
Chaney was so mad he didn't just threaten a beatdown.................he threatened to kill him! One of my favorite non-game coach moments I ever saw.

Chaney was all mouth.  I never liked him.  He was a sour, sullen prick.  His greatest accomplishment is talking about who he was going to "kill" with a room full of people between his supposed victim and him, sure to get in the way and break up the "fight" before it could get started.

EastexHawg

And upon further reading, Chaney was the one who sent his goons into the game to rough up opponents.  One of them broke the arm of a kid from St. Joseph's, earning Chaney a suspension for the rest of the year.  In the "I'll kill you" game, he admitted telling his players to punch Calipari's players in the mouth. 

About the only thing we don't have an example of is tough guy Chaney actually punching anyone in the mouth or kicking anyone's ass himself.

yraciv

Quote from: mizzouman on June 27, 2015, 07:45:32 pm
Great recruiter but below average coach.

How did a below average coach turn UMass and Memphis into national powerhouses?  Below average coaches don't win at his clip, no matter how much talent you have.  And to those who still want to play the cheating card.  Please educate yourself on the matter.  One was Marcus Camby's fault and the other was an academic scandal Cal had no way of controlling.

(notOM)Rebel123

While patting Cal on the back at the NBA draft, curious as to why no reporter bothered to ask him how on earth he didn't win the National Championship with all that talent?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

usf15cc

Quote from: yraciv on June 28, 2015, 08:50:44 pm
How did a below average coach turn UMass and Memphis into national powerhouses?  Below average coaches don't win at his clip, no matter how much talent you have.  And to those who still want to play the cheating card.  Please educate yourself on the matter.  One was Marcus Camby's fault and the other was an academic scandal Cal had no way of controlling.
Come on now..... Cal is a cheater and always will be one. His track record proves it.

http://collegespun.com/national/the-7-reasons-why-college-basketball-fans-hate-john-calipari

MountieDawg

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on June 26, 2015, 09:44:26 pm
Kentucky lost in the first rd. of the NIT with several Mcdonald AA's on the roster.....This past season's success was delivered with a mix of  Sophomores/Juniors AA's. 

Big Blue Nation is about to get a major dose of reality in 2015/16

Why do you say that. The Top recruiting class again and have 2 players projected to go as the 1st and 3rd pick in the draft. Will definitely have the best backcourt in basketball next year and the best center?
SEC!

Pork Twain

Lot of butt hurt for how well Cal has done.

WarPig88

If he is 2 or 3, how can Kentucky be at a level never attained before?

By the way, this seasons team was about as all time great a team as Wichita St's undefeated team was an all time great team.

Maybe you forgot about Kentucky missing the tournament all together. That is a farely rare happening at Kentucky.

mizzouman

How did a below average coach turn UMass and Memphis into national powerhouses?  Below average coaches don't win at his clip, no matter how much talent you have.  And to those who still want to play the cheating card.  Please educate yourself on the matter.  One was Marcus Camby's fault and the o
ther was an academic scandal Cal had no way of controlling.
The guy cheats. It was of Cal turning his head on Camby. Don't kid yourself.

Cal gets talent. I can win with theses players. A former Mizzou player was Cambys teammate in high school. I know the story.

Can't believe a guy with this history us still allowed to coach college BB. Just shows how sleazy the sport is.

rhog1

Hawg Red

Quote from: rhog1 on June 30, 2015, 11:37:26 am
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--kings--john-calipari--kentucky-195614697.html
Would he take the Kings job if they give him total control?

"Control" is a subjective term when discussing the Kings' organization.

onebadrubi

North Carolina coulnd't get D rose cleared to get in to school, but Cal could....  Yeah keep trying

yraciv

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2015, 12:15:14 pm
North Carolina coulnd't get D rose cleared to get in to school, but Cal could....  Yeah keep trying

It's simple show me evidence that he got caught, and that doesn't exist.  Once you finally have that that I'll throw him in the Kelvin Sampson territory.  I guess it is possible he is an A+ recruiter and A+ cheater, but if the later is true I think the bigger problem is the NCAA hasn't been able to catch him.  If you do that for 20 years I think there would be some slipup and punishment for the coach, and that has never happened.

It makes perfect academic sense why a kid could into Memphis over UNC.  The Rose issue was about getting in and being eligible.  The UNC scandal was about bogus classes and staying eligible.  Big difference!

MountieDawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on June 30, 2015, 12:15:14 pm

North Carolina has made up classes that dont exist for its athletes. Coach K has players get paid while at Duke. Those coaches and schools don't get penalized....  TV money runs major college athletics. The NCAA is like the queen of england.... They are both there and all they do is make a few announcements every now and then, but really have no control of what goes on.
SEC!