Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andre Iguodala NBA Finals MVP

Started by Foshodo, June 17, 2015, 12:51:04 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Foshodo

man I wish I could have seen this dude suit up for the Razorbacks... wonder if he would have stuck around if we'd gone ahead and hired MA then or was his attachment solely to Nolan?

Hawg Red

Just a guess, but I bet Mike put in a fair amount of work on him. Still, I'll guess that he still would have left to play for an established head coach like he did at Arizona with Lute Olson.

HognitiveDissonance

I can still see 'Iggy' sitting there on the sidelines at the 2001 Midnight Madness on his official recruiting visit. He had a great time and the fans had made signs and were chanting his name. He obviously committed to Nolan later but switched to AZ after the Nolan thing went down. Iggy was going to be the instigator of the revival of Hawgball, some said.

BigSexyHog

I admit I still think about what if he came here often to.  Think we missed out big time
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 17, 2015, 11:43:29 pm
I can still see 'Iggy' sitting there on the sidelines at the 2001 Midnight Madness on his official recruiting visit. He had a great time and the fans had made signs and were chanting his name. He obviously committed to Nolan later but switched to AZ after the Nolan thing went down. Iggy was going to be the instigator of the revival of Hawgball, some said.

He is still kinda like a Hog to me. That's what he wanted to be until the big blow up.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

hog.goblin

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on June 18, 2015, 03:47:01 pm
He is still kinda like a Hog to me. That's what he wanted to be until the big blow up.

yep

Hogwop

I've always kinda felt the same as TomBigBeeHog. Really wish Iguodala could have made it to the hill.
Pigga what?!
Quote from: PonderinHog on April 16, 2018, 10:27:02 amAn emoji is worth a hundred words.
9-07-1958 - 12-2-2011 R.I.P Mom, I will always miss you and love you.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hogwop on June 18, 2015, 07:11:36 pm
I've always kinda felt the same as TomBigBeeHog. Really wish Iguodala could have made it to the hill.

I agree.  Can't really dislike the guys decision when all that went down. 

WorfHog

June 19, 2015, 11:09:22 am #8 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 06:48:14 pm by WorfHog
Before my time as a Hog fan, but it really does make you wish Frank and Nolan could have worked it out. Would Andre Iguodala have been enough to lead us to another National Championship?  What if he was and Nolan was allowed to step down gracefully and Mike took over then?

Maybe in another universe...

WarPig88

Quote from: WorfHog on June 19, 2015, 11:09:22 am
Before my time as a Hog fan, but it really does make you wish Frank and Nolan could have worked it out. Would Andre Iguodala been enough to lead us to another National Championship?  What if he was and Nolan was allowed to step down gracefully and Mike took over then?

Maybe in another universe...

Think about this, it would have Iguadola, Sullinger, and Modica.

That would have been a formidable lineup for sure.

WorfHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 19, 2015, 02:20:36 pm

Formidable indeed.

hog.goblin

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 19, 2015, 02:20:36 pm

That just pisses me off.  darned white haired devil.

HognitiveDissonance

No doubt Iggy would have been a good pickup at the time.
Modica was a very good college player, Sullinger was good.
I remember thinking at the time that 'if we can only get Dedric Poole to play the point(in addition to playing RB for the football team) we can be pretty good.

But Iggy was not a savior. It also demonstrates how far we had fell from the 'glory days'. The fact that one single star recruit might sign with the Hogs had people salivating. They were latching on to anything they could find at that time. I was too.
That crew coulda/mighta achieved something like this year's team. Good to very good, but not a title contending team.

pigture perfect

Iggy would have only been a Matt Jones type player for us. Meaning he would have just been good enough to keep around a dead beat coach. Nolan had quit by that time.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

WarPig88

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 20, 2015, 12:26:09 am
No doubt Iggy would have been a good pickup at the time.
Modica was a very good college player, Sullinger was good.
I remember thinking at the time that 'if we can only get Dedric Poole to play the point(in addition to playing RB for the football team) we can be pretty good.

But Iggy was not a savior. It also demonstrates how far we had fell from the 'glory days'. The fact that one single star recruit might sign with the Hogs had people salivating. They were latching on to anything they could find at that time. I was too.
That crew coulda/mighta achieved something like this year's team. Good to very good, but not a title contending team.

Who really knows, but the point is that Iguadola would not have been the only good player here at that time. That would have been another set of triplets to work with.

Not to mention, Big Nasty was supposed to be the savior of our championship team. NO ONE else in that bunch other than Darnell Robinson was a highly sought after recruit so the notion that they would have struggled because Iggy was the only huge recruit on the team really doesn't hold water.

This is college basketball, not the NBA. One guy can be a very big deal.

Arazorbackguy1

Didn't we also miss out on Okafor?
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 20, 2015, 10:39:20 am
Who really knows, but the point is that Iguadola would not have been the only good player here at that time. That would have been another set of triplets to work with.

Not to mention, Big Nasty was supposed to be the savior of our championship team. NO ONE else in that bunch other than Darnell Robinson was a highly sought after recruit so the notion that they would have struggled because Iggy was the only huge recruit on the team really doesn't hold water.

This is college basketball, not the NBA. One guy can be a very big deal.
Corliss was a concensus Top 3 player in his class, some say the best. He turned out to be every bit of that, too. Well, heck, I'll say it: he WAS the best. Better than Jason Kidd and Othella Harrington. He 'was' the savior. And by being a 'paint' player, he was even more important as a cornerstone piece. (I'm partial to big guys and paint players)Iguodala I'm sure was Top 50, maybe Top 25. Definitely not in Corliss's class.
I never said they would struggle, or wouldn't. I think it would have been a 'good' team. But that's it. A 'good' team. Maybe a NCAA team but I don't think a deep NCAA team. (Where were the big guys? They were non-existent. Larry Satchell, anyone?)Iggy was 'overrated' in one sense due to the fact that his type of player hadn't signed with UA in a number of years, so people had too high of expectation for him and that team. Just my opinion.

HognitiveDissonance

By the way, the only reason I replied was after reading some posts implying that the Frank/Nolan thing had somehow ruined some kind of dream team or something.

Not really.

It's not like we had the Fab Five signed and they all departed and ruined a ready-made team.

onebadrubi

White made some really stupid decisions for razorback athletics, that's no doubt. 

WarPig88

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 22, 2015, 09:16:36 pm
Corliss was a concensus Top 3 player in his class, some say the best. He turned out to be every bit of that, too. Well, heck, I'll say it: he WAS the best. Better than Jason Kidd and Othella Harrington. He 'was' the savior. And by being a 'paint' player, he was even more important as a cornerstone piece. (I'm partial to big guys and paint players)Iguodala I'm sure was Top 50, maybe Top 25. Definitely not in Corliss's class.
I never said they would struggle, or wouldn't. I think it would have been a 'good' team. But that's it. A 'good' team. Maybe a NCAA team but I don't think a deep NCAA team. (Where were the big guys? They were non-existent. Larry Satchell, anyone?)Iggy was 'overrated' in one sense due to the fact that his type of player hadn't signed with UA in a number of years, so people had too high of expectation for him and that team. Just my opinion.

You missed the point about the talent level...............again.

You were claiming there was a lack of talent and Iggy wouldn't have mattered much. You are also talking about a program with 2 tournament wins in the last 15 years.

With that in mind, I can see how you can be so snobbish about the possibilities for that team.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 22, 2015, 09:38:55 pm
You missed the point about the talent level...............again.

You were claiming there was a lack of talent and Iggy wouldn't have mattered much. You are also talking about a program with 2 tournament wins in the last 15 years.

With that in mind, I can see how you can be so snobbish about the possibilities for that team.

(sigh)
Yes...'I' missed the point.
I labeled my opinion as just that---'just my opinion'. As in, I can be wrong.
I don't see that humility from your side. Only, 'I' missed the point.
Who's truly being arrogant here?

That's ok. I'm done with this thread anyway.

EastexHawg

Iguodala went to Arizona to play for Lute Olson.  He played there with a number of future NBA players including Channing Frye and Luke Walton.  During his two seasons at Arizona he averaged 9.6 points and 6.6 rebounds per game. 

The 'Cats made it to the Elite 8 his freshman year and got bounced in the first round his second year.  They had reached an NCAA Championship Game and made the Sweet 16 the two years before he arrived and made the Elite 8 the year after he left, so it's not like their fortunes improved greatly during his years.

The idea that he would have been a savior at Arkansas seems unlikely at best.

BigSexyHog

Guess I don't remember but he was a top talent coming out if high school.   I think some are marginalizing his talents for whatever reason
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on June 20, 2015, 10:43:40 am
Didn't we also miss out on Okafor?

Nope.  He was at UCONN (freshman year) during NR's last year as coach.

IPig

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on June 23, 2015, 03:21:55 pm
(sigh)
Yes...'I' missed the point.
I labeled my opinion as just that---'just my opinion'. As in, I can be wrong.
I don't see that humility from your side. Only, 'I' missed the point.
Who's truly being arrogant here?

That's ok. I'm done with this thread anyway.
Drama Queen!!!!