Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has a monopoly of the state and playing in the SEC really gotten Arkansas on the field?

Started by Sweet Feet, January 24, 2014, 02:14:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Twain

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 24, 2014, 07:56:28 pm
Not "likely." It WOULD be. Arkansas beat the best team in the Sun Belt rather convincingly this past season and Arkansas did not win an SEC game.
I was trying to be nice...  ;)
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 24, 2014, 10:02:11 pm
I am just going to point out one thing here. You would likely dominate the Sunbelt with your current SEC type quality recruits. But IF the Razorbacks were in the Sunbelt conference then you would not be getting the same SEC quality recruits that you currently get as they would be going to the other SEC schools. You would be getting the same type of recruits that ASU and ULL end up with. Now whether you were still able to dominate the Sunbelt or not with the lesser quality of players we will never know because the Hogs will never, ever be in the Sunbelt.

By the same token. It is ridiculous to say ASU would go winless every year if they were in the SEC because if they were in that conference then their financial level would automatically increase dramatically due to the mega millions the SEC shares with the conference members every year along with ASU then also being able to recruit and obtain SEC quality recruits of their own since they would be a "SEC" team. Not to mention that they would be able to hire and keep even better coaches than they have been the last couple of years.

Tell these things to Kentucky and Mississippi State.  Those two schools have been in the SEC for years and when was the last SEC Championship football game for either.  Arkansas and South Carolina both joined late and both have done better than those two SEC member schools that are getting SEC quality recruits and hiring coaches with salaries higher than ASU's coaches. Being an SEC team and getting an SEC share of the pie still doesn't guarantee you Sugar Bowls, NC games, or even Capital One Bowls.  Arkansas wasn't good this year or last.  But we've been above average over the last fifty years.  Many Razorback fans are pleased with ASU's improvement over the last few years, but they are no more a match for the SEC than Arkansas has been during our down year.  Even if Arkansas dropped out of the SEC and ASU joined, they would do no better than UA and most likely would do significantly worse over the long haul.  Money is great; exposure is great.  But recruiting and coach hiring would be just as difficult as or more difficult for ASU than it has been for Arkansas.  I like ASU, but they're certainly not any better than Arkansas.  And in Arkansas' best years, Arkansas is clearly better.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: farmhawg on January 25, 2014, 12:50:57 pm

It would look like this......

Arkansas would whore slap the little dogs......

You know it wouldn't be like that . . . Those two girls are on the same field. Post a picture of her prank calling the other girl and then hanging up nervously. That's a more accurate representation.

dynastyhog

Quote from: saturnthegiant on January 25, 2014, 02:58:49 am
A lot of you are also assuming that ASU would want to play you....I don't really see any benefit in ASU giving the Hogs a game....ASU would lose money more than likely.  And I really can't see what ASU has to gain by playing the Hogs, when ASU could be playing a school that could offer a challenge like Mizzou.

Great news, now pack up all the d!ldos that are in here with you and head to the Mizzou board.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 25, 2014, 01:09:01 pm
Of course they are just like Nike is integral to Oregon's success and countless others.  Exactly what is your point?

Just pointing out the fact that those four financial supporters of the UofA are a big reason why the school is ranked so highly on the Forbes list.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 06:02:17 pm
Just pointing out the fact that those four financial supporters of the UofA are a big reason why the school is ranked so highly on the Forbes list.

Link to their athletic donations?

GolfNut57

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on January 25, 2014, 01:59:35 pm
Tell these things to Kentucky and Mississippi State.  Those two schools have been in the SEC for years and when was the last SEC Championship football game for either.  Arkansas and South Carolina both joined late and both have done better than those two SEC member schools that are getting SEC quality recruits and hiring coaches with salaries higher than ASU's coaches. Being an SEC team and getting an SEC share of the pie still doesn't guarantee you Sugar Bowls, NC games, or even Capital One Bowls.  Arkansas wasn't good this year or last.  But we've been above average over the last fifty years.  Many Razorback fans are pleased with ASU's improvement over the last few years, but they are no more a match for the SEC than Arkansas has been during our down year.  Even if Arkansas dropped out of the SEC and ASU joined, they would do no better than UA and most likely would do significantly worse over the long haul.  Money is great; exposure is great.  But recruiting and coach hiring would be just as difficult as or more difficult for ASU than it has been for Arkansas.  I like ASU, but they're certainly not any better than Arkansas.  And in Arkansas' best years, Arkansas is clearly better.

I never said ASU would get into such prestigious bowls as you listed. Just saying that they would win some SEC games is all.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2014, 06:05:54 pm
Link to their athletic donations?

Don't be stupid. You don't have to see their exact donations to know that they are huge supporters of the hogs financially speaking.

hawaiianhogster

I live in Hawaii and I got to see every game they played because they play in the SEC. Being Nationally televised is huge. You can't put a price tag on that.

ricepig

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 06:08:11 pm
Don't be stupid. You don't have to see their exact donations to know that they are huge supporters of the hogs financially speaking.

Are you saying the companies, or individuals from them? They advertise during games and coaches shows, but I doubt the companies that are publicly traded make large donations to the RF.

bythelake

golfnuts, we are proud to have the support of those companies/families.  There is a reason that they did not locate their companies close to Jonessquiterrville.  All of your arguements and points are wet dreams. 

GolfNut57

Quote from: bythelake on January 25, 2014, 06:29:48 pm
golfnuts, we are proud to have the support of those companies/families.  There is a reason that they did not locate their companies close to Jonessquiterrville.  All of your arguements and points are wet dreams.

Jonesquiterrville? That's awesome. Did you think that one up all by yourself?

GolfNut57

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2014, 06:14:47 pm
Are you saying the companies, or individuals from them? They advertise during games and coaches shows, but I doubt the companies that are publicly traded make large donations to the RF.

Well since I mentioned specific names and didn't include the word companies I think the logical thinking man would know that I mean the individuals themselves.

bythelake

Golfnuts,  I grew up in that area, I know for a fact how much that area sucks. Skeeters, mud, drainage ditches with chemicals.  I'll be nice and stop there.

There was a time when nearly every Arkansas football player lucky enough to be wanted by THE UNIVERSITY would head on up there, delighted to go.
That probably could be said for just about every major University and Small State in the USA.  Big states like Texas didn't have enough name schools to use up all the great players so teams like Arkansas picked off many players from situations like Texas presented.

Times and situations have changed.  Communication is soooo much better.  Tons of football on TV, evereyone has a cell phone, the computer can tell you just about anything you really need to know and at the same time the players can find out all this about any school the wish, coaches can find out about players Nationwide. 

Arkansas changed conferences in 1992.  We left a conference where we were considered the 2nd best team in it overall.  We went to the SEC in a flux and we've never left that flux.  Our football program hasn't been truly decent since Holtz left in the 80s.  Hatfield did well but in a watered down conference due to cheating penalties.  Our leaders on the hill haven't been close to on the same page for all these years.  Nutt hung on more due to power plays in management and his ass kissing than anything he ever did on the field.  After 22 or 23 years in this league, we still do not really know what our level could be if we had a stable situation on the hill. 

Malzahn in 2006 showed a small portion of what might could be.  Petrino showed what you could do with a decent offense, good special teams and a poor defense.  Both these Guys had a hittem where they ain't game plan or find a weakness and exploit it. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 06:06:21 pm
I never said ASU would get into such prestigious bowls as you listed. Just saying that they would win some SEC games is all.
What, like once every ten years? Well maybe.

We are still today trying to unflux.  We are back to Hatfield football or power football.  The problam is we aren't playing in a watered down conference where every team but us is serving penalties for cheating.  Where there used to be about 25 to 30 schools sharing the top recruits, now there is 40 to 50 schools taking a share with another 30 or 40 schools trying for a small bite of the upper crust players.

I don't believe ASU has had one thing to do with the University of Arkansas football team, zero.  I also don't believe UofA has had one thing to do with ASU football.  Maybe Arkansas football could have helped ASU but they haven't.  I personally think thats chicken darn that they haven't but thats just my opinion.  ASU isn't going to damage the University.  They are a small school without the assets of the University.  Instead of ignoring ASU, we should schedule them and be happy for them.  It would be a good game for the fans to enjoy. 

root_hawg

Many boosters like myself could care less about playing aswho and could care less how they do.. We should schedule them when they schedule UCA

ricepig

Quote from: root_hawg on January 25, 2014, 08:30:40 pm
Many boosters like myself could care less about playing aswho and could care less how they do.. We should schedule them when they schedule UCA

They've played UCA.

KaysFieldTouchdown

Quote from: bythelake on January 25, 2014, 08:02:34 pm
Golfnuts,  I grew up in that area, I know for a fact how much that area sucks. Skeeters, mud, drainage ditches with chemicals.  I'll be nice and stop there.

It's so terrible, Jonesboro is one of the fastest growing cities in Arkansas.

KaysFieldTouchdown

So you're for the game now? We've played UCA 22 times. We played UAPB last year.

BTW, we had nothing to gain in those games. Just made sense.

OTTER

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on January 25, 2014, 10:36:14 pm
Still sucks.  Unfriendly people, cliquish, and rude.  Really a very "unArkansas" type of place, considering it is in the state.  Lived there and the best view of Jonesboro, is through the rear view mirror.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Arkfan

Quote from: ricepig on January 25, 2014, 08:46:20 pm
They've played UCA.

Busted!

But what does them playing UCA matter anyway?

The reasons for Arkansas and ASU to not play are old, tired, worn out, and irrelevant today. Has a player that Arkansas has wanted or offered a scholarship to every turned them down and signed with ASU instead? If its happened at all Ill bet its been very few times.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 25, 2014, 08:17:02 pm
What, like once every ten years? Well maybe.

You have to admit if ASU was in the SEC their recruiting would improve. A lot of players want to play in the SEC and will sign with a struggling team to get immediate playing time.  Why do you think the Hogs are still able to get a few good recruits right now. ASU is playing a more exciting brand of football right now.
SEC!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 26, 2014, 07:52:12 am
You have to admit if ASU was in the SEC their recruiting would improve. A lot of players want to play in the SEC and will sign with a struggling team to get immediate playing time.  Why do you think the Hogs are still able to get a few good recruits right now. ASU is playing a more exciting brand of football right now.
Yeah, cause that's all that matters.

I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Poop Hoggy Hogg

they've played UCA a couple times in the last five years and played UAPB last season. By the scores, it's obvious that UCA and UAPB were merely FCS rent-a-wins for AState. For some players on ark st's roster, playing against uca was the only playing time they've ever gotten, and they still embarrassed them. ark st is definitely on a different level from the two fcs schools in the state. other than us being in the SEC, are we really that much better than astate? I'm starting to wonder these days. we're both division 1 FBS afterall. Instate completion may not be bad for us. In Oklahoma, alabama, Texas, and Mississippi, kids only leave the state when one of the state's FBS schools have no spot for them. we need kids here to do the same thing. That's why ou, osu, and Tulsa always have competitive teams because their kids stay in state if one of the three schools will accept them. same with ole piss, miss st., and southern miss. Same with the Louisiana and Texas schools. Missouri is a Yankee state, so that's an exception.

ricepig

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 26, 2014, 07:52:12 am

Really? Our brand doesn't "excite" you ?

ricepig

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on January 26, 2014, 08:21:27 am
they've played UCA a couple times in the last five years and played UAPB last season. By the scores, it's obvious that UCA and UAPB were merely FCS rent-a-wins for AState. For some players on ark st's roster, playing against uca was the only playing time they've ever gotten, and they still embarrassed them. ark st is definitely on a different level from the two fcs schools in the state. other than us being in the SEC, are we really that much better than astate? I'm starting to wonder these days. we're both division 1 FBS afterall. Instate completion may not be bad for us. In Oklahoma, alabama, Texas, and Mississippi, kids only leave the state when one of the state's FBS schools have no spot for them. we need kids here to do the same thing. That's why ou, osu, and Tulsa always have competitive teams because their kids stay in state if one of the three schools will accept them. same with ole piss, miss st., and southern miss. Same with the Louisiana and Texas schools. Missouri is a Yankee state, so that's an exception.

Throw out the last two years, and yes we are light years ahead of them. Most want to start football 2 years ago, and forget the past 20 years.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

ricepig

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on January 26, 2014, 08:26:42 am
The hog on the helmet excites me. Playing Big Ten football doesnt.

So, say we go 11-1 with this Big Ten football, you still going to bitch?

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on January 26, 2014, 08:26:42 am
The hog on the helmet excites me. Playing Big Ten football doesnt.
That's nice, but I'm going to let you in on something. It's kind of complicated, so prepare yourself:

What is "exciting" to one person is not "exciting" to the other. Give me a good, old-fashioned game of "Big Ten football" over that hurry-up crap any day of the week.

Not that it matters anyway. We can win a game 3-0 or 70-63 and I won't care either way.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Runt

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 24, 2014, 10:02:11 pm
I am just going to point out one thing here. You would likely dominate the Sunbelt with your current SEC type quality recruits. But IF the Razorbacks were in the Sunbelt conference then you would not be getting the same SEC quality recruits that you currently get as they would be going to the other SEC schools. You would be getting the same type of recruits that ASU and ULL end up with. Now whether you were still able to dominate the Sunbelt or not with the lesser quality of players we will never know because the Hogs will never, ever be in the Sunbelt.

By the same token. It is ridiculous to say ASU would go winless every year if they were in the SEC because if they were in that conference then their financial level would automatically increase dramatically due to the mega millions the SEC shares with the conference members every year along with ASU then also being able to recruit and obtain SEC quality recruits of their own since they would be a "SEC" team. Not to mention that they would be able to hire and keep even better coaches than they have been the last couple of years.
If If If

Poop Hoggy Hogg

Quote from: Runt on January 26, 2014, 08:35:34 am
If If If

i'm a recruiting geek and something that I've noticed that I don't understand is why is astate getting all these three star kids, and as soon as they commit to astate, they drop their status to two star? Did they lose their skills as soon as they committed to ark state?

ricepig

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on January 26, 2014, 08:46:13 am
i'm a recruiting geek and something that I've noticed that I don't understand is why is astate getting all these three star kids, and as soon as they commit to astate, they drop their status to two star? Did they lose their skills as soon as they committed to ark state?

Such as?

Runt

Quote from: Poop Hoggy Hogg on January 26, 2014, 08:46:13 am
I've seen the same thing happen to Arkansas, the National recruiting people think only certain schools can sign good players, if they de commit from Alabama or Florida and sign with Arkansas then they must not be that good, it's crazy, if you look at NFL rosters a lot of players are from schools you never hear about.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 06:02:17 pm

Some of the biggest "Wal-Mart/Walton/Tyson/Hunt" donors aren't even family members.  Pat and Willard, who I believe has passed away, Walker (Walker Indoor / Outdoor Football Practice Facility) is a good example.  Willard was one of Wal-Mart's first store managers. 

Bogle Park (Softball Facility).  I don't exactly who exactly Bogle was but I'm fairly certain Bogle was also one of the early Wal-Mart Associates.  There still is a Bogle Garden Center in Bentonville.

There are countless others but you get the point.  It's not just family members of the Walton's, Tyson's, Hunt's etc. but people who have worked from those companies who have donated millions to the program,. 

smb

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 24, 2014, 04:57:12 pm
If Arkansas state joined the big 12, then we would have a reason to play them.  otherwise, they are just another small school in arkansas.
Very Good Point.
GeorgiaHOG

ricepig

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on January 26, 2014, 09:44:34 am
Some of the biggest "Wal-Mart/Walton/Tyson/Hunt" donors aren't even family members.  Pat and Willard, who I believe has passed away, Walker (Walker Indoor / Outdoor the tball Practice Facility) is a good example.  Willard was one of Wal-Mart's first store managers. 

Bogle Park (Softball Facility).  I don't exactly who exactly Bogle was but I'm fairly certain Bogle was also one of the early Wal-Mart Associates.  There still is a Bogle Garden Center in Bentonville.

There are countless others but you get the point.  It's not just family members of the Walton's, Tyson's, Hunt's etc. but people who have worked from those companies who have donated millions to the program,. 

You would  be correct, the Walton's, outside of Bud, weren't big contributors to the athletic department, although they have contributed over $350mil to the university.

farmhawg

Quote from: KaysFieldTouchdown on January 25, 2014, 10:36:14 pm
cause there is nothing else to do there.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

MountieDawg

Quote from: Runt on January 26, 2014, 09:12:41 am
I've seen the same thing happen to Arkansas, the National recruiting people think only certain schools can sign good players, if they de commit from Alabama or Florida and sign with Arkansas then they must not be that good, it's crazy, if you look at NFL rosters a lot of players are from schools you never hear about.

There are more players in the nfl from the SEC than any other conf
SEC!

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on January 24, 2014, 02:19:40 pm
The Monopoly is overrated.  It doesn't help with cruiting just some with the fan base, and now with money, population and demographics of NWA even that is overrated or outdated.

NWA does not have the money, population, nor demographics to solely support the program.

WashUhog6

In Oklahoma, alabama, Texas, and Mississippi, kids only leave the state when one of the state's FBS schools have no spot for them. we need kids here to do the same thing. That's why ou, osu, and Tulsa always have competitive teams because their kids stay in state if one of the three schools will accept them. same with ole piss, miss st., and southern miss. Same with the Louisiana and Texas schools. Missouri is a Yankee state, so that's an exception.
That's not even close to true. Every year, multiple recruits from each of those states you mentioned leave even when the in state school offers--it's *extremely* common.

Jameis Winston is from Alabama. Anyone remember when Landon Collins chose Alabama at an all star game and how upset his mother was? He's from Louisiana. Hell, just a week or so ago Solomon Thomas eliminated Texas. The current top ranked prospect in Oklahoma according to 247 is committed to Alabama; the number 3 player is committed to LSU.

Finding extremely highly ranked prospects from those states that leave is so easy, I can't believe you even posted that.

LZH

Quote from: UCAhog6 on January 26, 2014, 04:50:02 pm
That's not even close to true. Every year, multiple recruits from each of those states you mentioned leave even when the in state school offers--it's *extremely* common.

Jameis Winston is from Alabama. Anyone remember when Landon Collins chose Alabama at an all star game and how upset his mother was? He's from Louisiana. Hell, just a week or so ago Solomon Thomas eliminated Texas. The current top ranked prospect in Oklahoma according to 247 is committed to Alabama; the number 3 player is committed to LSU.

Finding extremely highly ranked prospects from those states that leave is so easy, I can't believe you even posted that.

Yeah, LSU and Alabama consistently raid Mississippi every year.  More 4* & 5* talent plays for those two teams than they do Ole Miss and MSU.

bythelake

Jonesboro is growing because the rest of the area is a whole lot worse.  I could continue to expound on how much the area sucks, but I don't want to sh*t on your home.

Athog

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 10:40:03 am
Financial support from alumni? No I don't see ASU likely matching the UofA in that regard. But they WOULD get an fair share of the pie that the SEC gives out to all members based on the policy that the SEC would have in place. And that amount would still dwarf what they currently get from the SBC thereby improving their financial status greatly. As for facilities? Give ASU a few years in the SEC and I would bet that they could have a stadium that seats 70K+ and consistently average 55-60K in attendance based on the fact that they are playing an SEC schedule and the opposing fan bases would be there to support their team along with an occasional sellout. (the Arkansas vs ASU game) But it is all a moot point because just as the UofA will never be in the Sunbelt, ASU will never be in the SEC.

One other thing. I will agree that it is silly to say ASU is better than the UofA as things "currently stand" in regards to talent on the two teams. Your team may suck in the SEC right now but your team STILL has SEC quality players. ASU just has SBC level players. The only way ASU is better than the UofA right now is that they are doing better in their conference than the UofA is doing in theirs. As you previously stated, that is comparing apples to oranges. As things presently stand.

The last three letters in your username before the two numbers explains it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: redeye on January 24, 2014, 10:59:25 pm
We obviously benefit from being the only major D1 program in the state, even though other schools seem to be having increasing success poaching our players.  It's not so easy to explain the worthiness obtained from benefits of playing in the SEC.

Good thing schools are allowed to "poach" any other states players. They poach our state, we poach their state. Freedom to recruit whomever we like to try to recruit. It's a good thing in ALL endeavors. 
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 25, 2014, 11:03:07 am
Doesn't hurt to have Tyson, JB Hunt, the Waltons and Stephens involved in the program though huh. I am sure they are a large part of that status.

ALL BCS level top conference member teams have a couple or more big time donors.

Inhogswetrust

You're clueless.

phadedhawg

To heck with the supposed consequences...

Ever since I was old enough to know ASU existed I wanted us to play them.  Same with UALR in basketball.  I would be a fun event for the state. 

It's a bit troubling to see so much insecurity expressed about playing an opponent. 

ASU has done plenty in recent years to be worthy of acknowledgment within the state.  It's great what they have accomplished while having a new coach every year.