Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Leach would be a tremendous hire

Started by presidenthog, October 22, 2017, 01:08:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

presidenthog

Team loses last week due  to listening to the outside noise. Got complacent (This is what makes saban so great) and then he lit  into them at that PC.

Here they are this week with a shutout. Changes his style and is running the ball to win the game tonight because that is what they needed to do. His defense  avg around 300 a game. Hell of a coach.

gchamblee

I wouldnt be upset if we gave him a try, but I dont think he will be a Bama/LSU beater. However, I could find a way to be happy with 10-2 :P

presidenthog

Quote from: gchamblee on October 22, 2017, 01:10:36 am
I wouldnt be upset if we gave him a try, but I dont think he will be a Bama/LSU beater. However, I could find a way to be happy with 10-2 :P

I am not looking for someone to beat saban. That is unrealistic. I want someone who can win, has built something from nothing (he has done this twice now with tx tech and wazzu), and is mentally tough, and tough on his players. He checks all the boxes.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: gchamblee on October 22, 2017, 01:10:36 am
Leach couldn't do much better than Bielema....if we want to win and win big, we are going to have to make such a super hip hire that today's kids will want to come play for the guy...past that, we are farting in the wind
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

(notOM)Rebel123

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 22, 2017, 01:13:51 am
Leach couldn't do much better than Bielema....if we want to win and win big, we are going to have to make such a super hip hire that today's kids will want to come play for the guy...past that, we are farting in the wind

"Super hip hire" is how you end up like Tennessee. Or like Arkansas. Remember, Bret was pretty darn "hip" before last year.

The long term successful guys are good X & O coaches who teach discipline. (Saban, Swinney, Meyer, Franklin, Alverez, Snyder)

I don't know that Leech would be successful here, but he seems to have decent strategy, and was making his offense do push ups on the sideline for going three and out twice in a row. So seems like the discipline is there.

WPS501

lol at everyone acting like we're above Leach.  We'd be lucky to get someone of his caliber.

RazorRam

Leach won't come here, he may be eccentric but he aint stupid.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: RazorRam on October 22, 2017, 01:54:00 am
Leach won't come here, he may be eccentric but he aint stupid.
Good! don't want him here..
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Augustus

October 22, 2017, 03:37:29 am #9 Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 12:31:41 pm by Augustus
I still don't get why so many are falling over themselves about Leach?

He has no Conference Titles in his entire Head Coaching career, and only has one Conference Division title while at Tx Tech.  To say nothing of no BCS Bowl appearances, CFB Playoff appearances, or Ntnl Championship appearances.

At Wazzu St., his overall record is .500, at 35-35. And he has a sub-.500 Conference record, at 23-26.  His best (and only) bowl win is the Sun Bowl. He's only had two other bowl appearances (New Mexico & Holiday Bowls), both of which he lost. The most games he's won in a single season is 9 wins, which he's only done once. 

Sprinkle in two 3-9 seasons, a 6-7, and an 8-5...

Other than "the grass is always greener" and he's interesting in press conferences, what makes you want him here?

And before you say "He's a brilliant offensive mind..."  Well, no. He's no Bobby Petrino. Don't think for a second Leach coming here would be Bobby 2.0.  He might have a system that can get him by at Wazzu St., but as I've noted above "getting him by" is about all it's doing for him.

I know several Wazzu St. fans, and they're not exactly thrilled with him. In fact, they laugh when they see Hog Fans say he should be #1 on our list.

RazorRam

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on October 22, 2017, 03:07:59 am
Good! don't want him here..

Me either but as with Bielema we won't have a say either way. BB has turned out to be as bad a hire as Danny Ford was. I remember Wally Hall saying in his column that the rest of the SEC was saying UH OH when Arkansas hired Ford, lol that was the last time I ever read anything Wally wrote.

Torqued pork

Leach has been good at generating interest and decent records at programs with the reputation of being cemeteries of college football. He probably wouldn't be a bad hire for the short term.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 22, 2017, 07:39:10 am
Leach has been good at generating interest and decent records at programs with the reputation of being cemeteries of college football. He probably wouldn't be a bad hire for the short term.

I laughed at that ridiculous last sentence.  So, sure, let's hire somebody short term.  Real smart.

Letsroll1200

Torqued pork

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 22, 2017, 07:56:13 am
I laughed at that ridiculous last sentence.  So, sure, let's hire somebody short term.  Real smart.
I'm saying I don't think it would be sustainable.  I wasn't advocating the hire.