Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kentucky Wildcat Basketball Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, December 12, 2016, 10:27:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ben Roberts‏ @BenRobertsHL

Talked to @jerrymeyer247 about the subject of UK and recruiting shooters last season. Revisiting that with new numbers to back it up. Not as simple as, 'Hey, go sign that guy who shoots real nice.'

QuoteIt's no secret: this Kentucky basketball team isn't very good from behind the three-point line.

These Cats rank last in the Southeastern Conference in three-point makes this season and have attempted almost 100 fewer threes than the league's 13th team in that category, Georgia.

After Saturday's win over Alabama — a game in which the Cats made four of 11 from behind the arc — only seven Division I teams in the country had made fewer threes this season than Kentucky.

This season's team is on pace to be Calipari's worst at UK in terms of both three-point percentage and three-point makes.

"Coach Cal has had shooters," Meyer said at the time. "But I think shooting is lower on the value list than other traits for a (UK) prospect. Now, some of that's just the way it is because very few players are complete players. And, typically, your five-star type players, your one-and-dones, if they have a weakness, most of the time it usually is shooting. They're great athletes and they have other (ways to score).

"It's not necessarily a criticism of Coach Calipari. Obviously, he's a great coach and knows what he's doing. Phenomenal recruiter. But, when you look at this (2017) class, and when you look at what has been a concern for Kentucky teams in the past, you can't help but think about outside shooting."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

LOOK: Former Kentucky players joke about lack of seniors on Wildcats' 2018 'senior night'

QuoteTraditionally, the last home game is also senior night. The only problem is that Kentucky doesn't have any seniors on the team to honor this season.

The closest any player came was junior Jonny David and redshirt junior Dillon Pulliam.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman
‏Verified account @GoodmanESPN

Pittsburgh expected to hire Duke assistant Jeff Capel, source told ESPN.

Kyle Tucker
‏ @KyleTucker_SEC

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Jeff Goodman

John Calipari not sad about this news, I imagine.

Joe Mussatto
‏Verified account @joe_mussatto

How has Mike Krzyzewski overtaken John Calipari as the king of recruiting? I asked Duke's four McDonald's All-Americans.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Father of 5-star recruit Romeo Langford details rift with Kentucky coach John Calipari

QuoteWhen 5-star guard Romeo Langford announces his college choice this month, Kentucky won't be among the finalists.

And it sounds like John Calipari and the Wildcats never wanted to be considered, either.

Langford's father, Tim, detailed the story behind Kentucky not recruiting his son:

According to the eldest Langford, the rift started after he criticized Calipari's coaching ability following the U-19 Team USA's loss to Canada in the 2017 FIBA World Cup.

It was a game Romeo didn't play in because of back spasms, but that didn't stop the flow of criticism.

"I just told him, 'You came in our house, said you couldn't wait to coach our son and do this and that,'" Tim Langford recalled. "'You had the opportunity before his back started bothering him. I didn't appreciate it because you said you wanted to coach him and you had the chance to do it.'"

That was all it took for Calipari to move on.

jbcarol

Matt Jones
‏ @KySportsRadio

Time for @TJWalkerKSR first article for KSR....the latest on KyKy Tandy of Hopkinsville, the first UK recruit from Kentucky that Calipari has been focused on in some time

QuoteKentucky fans love Kentuckians and that would explain the hype surrounding Hopkinsville's KyKy Tandy. The four-star scoring guard has a handful of offers and plenty of interest from UK, but the Cats haven't pulled the trigger on an offer.

jbcarol

The harbinger of things to come like NBA announcements forthcoming:

Joe Mussatto
‏Verified account @joe_mussatto

John Calipari and his staff are visiting several 5-star prospects to open the spring recruiting period.

QuoteThe spring basketball recruiting period opened Thursday, and that means Kentucky coach John Calipari was on the road. Here's who the Wildcats are targeting in the Class of 2019.

Jones reported that Calipari is going to get back on the recruiting trail after deferring to his assistants and getting the results that come with that.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

5-star former Auburn commit EJ Montgomery commits to Kentucky

QuoteMontgomery, a five-star power forward out of Marietta, Ga., committed to Kentucky on Monday. Montgomery announced his decision via an Instagram post.

"I'm rocking Kentucky blue," Montgomery posted with a picture of him wearing a No. 23 Kentucky jersey.

The post was a reference to the Drake and Future song "Scholarships."

The 6-foot-10, 200-pound Montgomery was previously committed to Auburn but backed off that pledge on Sept. 27, 2017, just a day after then-Auburn associate head coach Chuck Person was arrested in connection to the FBI's probe into the criminal influence of money on college basketball. Person was arrested and charged with eight federal counts after allegedly accepting $91,500 in bribes to use his influence over Auburn players Austin Wiley and Danjel Purifoy to try to steer them toward a crooked financial adviser.

Person's involvement in the investigation ultimately cost Wiley and Purifoy their eligibility for the 2017-18 season. Wiley was cleared to return next season, while Purifoy will regain his eligibility after sitting out 30 percent of the Tigers' games to start the year.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

5-star Ashton Hagans on Kentucky commitment: 'It's what I've been waiting on'

QuoteHagans joins 2018 5-star power forward E.J. Montgomery as elite commitments for the Wildcats this week. While Hagans is currently in the 2019 class, he could end up reclassifying to 2018 and helping UK as soon as next season.

Listed at 6-foot-4 from Covington, Ga, he's currently the No. 1 point guard in the 2019 class.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein
‏Verified account @JonRothstein

Tyrone Maxey is no longer a part of the SMU staff, per a source. Father of 2019 prospect Tyrese Maxey.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker
‏ @KyleTucker_SEC

UK fans want John Calipari to offer in-state star KyKy Tandy a scholarship. So does he, still. "I'm from Kentucky so usually Kentucky kids don't get that offer. I've been working my butt off and hopefully I'll get that offer."

Quote6-foot-2 guard from University Heights Academy in Hopkinsville, Ky., is averaging 13 points and 3.7 rebounds per game for Team Thad on the Under Armour circuit. Tandy averaged more than 30 points per game in his junior season at University Heights.

A scorer with plenty of room to improve on defense, Tandy is the 147th-ranked prospect in the 2019 class.

Tandy's offer list includes Cincinnati, Florida, Tennessee, Iowa State, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Western Kentucky and New Mexico State. Kentucky is absent from that list, but Tandy hasn't lost touch with John Calipari and his coaching staff.

"They're still texting me a lot," he said. "They're supposed to come and see me play soon, but we'll just have to wait and see."

Dominique Hawkins and Derek Willis in 2013 were the last in-state prospects to sign with Kentucky. Tandy knows the history, or lack thereof, of Calipari offering a homegrown player. He's also aware of just how much UK fans seem to be clamoring for another in-state product to cheer for.

"It'd be a blessing if they offered me," Tandy said. "I'm from Kentucky, so usually Kentucky kids don't get that offer. I've been working my butt off and hopefully I'll get that offer."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Monday, Kentucky went ahead and made the signing of 5-star big man EJ Montgomery official.

Quote6-foot-10 McDonald's All-American, a former Auburn commit who averaged 25.6 points, 13.6 rebounds and 4.3 assists for Wheeler High School in Marietta...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello
‏Verified account @jeffborzello

Just taking scrimmages into account, Kentucky commit Tyrese Maxey has been the best player here at #USABMU18. Has been terrific the last two days. Getting by guys with his first stel, hitting 3-pointers.

jbcarol

jbcarol

MountieDawg

Just picked up 2 time All Pac 10 1st player Reid Travis from Stanford... This may be the most loaded and balanced team Cal has had at UK.
SEC!

jbcarol

Keldon Johnson has earned a reputation as an alpha dog for his no-holds barred play on the court

Quote"When I think about the one guy I'm excited about seeing how he does next year, it's Keldon Johnson just because, going back to that leader type, who was Kentucky's leader last year? We still don't know. Ashton Hagans and [Immanuel] Quickley are going to be two guys who aren't afraid of the spotlight. Reid Travis is going to step in and, of course, bring — he's 23 years old, probably? But Keldon Johnson is an alpha dog. He's an outgoing guy that's going to rip your soul out and eat it for lunch. He's that kind of dude. That's the kind of guy that Kentucky needs."

The Oak Hill .9955 SF was the #13 player in our nation per 247/Scout.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones@KySportsRadio
9h9 hours ago

DJ Jeffries' father decided to explain what UK did that he thought was "Unprofessional"

He mad

QuoteThe decommitment of DJ Jeffries is getting a second run around the news cycle today after his father, Corey Jeffries, gained some attention for telling a Memphis radio station the Kentucky staff was "unprofessional" in its handling of Jeffries' decision.

Corey Jeffries has since clarified that statement to The Commercial Appeal in Memphis, saying, "It wasn't Cal that took it so bad. It was the main recruiter (assistant coach Tony Barbee)."

That same story also notes the former UK commit took offense to the absence of any UK coaches at his final AAU game out in Las Vegas.

"It was the last game of his summer career, so he was expecting somebody to be there," Corey Jeffries said. "I think it kind of bothered him. That kind of shook him up a little bit."

Furthermore, Corey Jeffries said it is interesting to see Memphis get "a leg up" on Calipari in recruiting and that the Jeffries family is "enjoying it, to be honest."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones@KySportsRadio

Congrats to Pendleton County's @dontaieallen11 on UK commitment! 

First in-state Kentucky scholarship commit since Dominique Hawkins

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/224464/dontaie-allen
3-star SF

jbcarol

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on June 20, 2018, 07:29:41 pm
Just picked up 2 time All Pac 10 1st player Reid Travis from Stanford... This may be the most loaded and balanced team Cal has had at UK.

Which will make it that much sweeter when he falls short once again with the most talented roster in the country.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MountieDawg

Kentucky is rolling professional international teams in the Bahamas.... This team is big, fast and athletic!
SEC!

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

After 5-year wait, UK has another basketball signee from the state of Kentucky

QuotePendleton County forward Dontaie Allen made his commitment official Friday, the third day of college basketball's early signing period for high school seniors. The 6-foot-6 prospect from Falmouth committed to UK a little more than three months ago following a breakout summer with his M.A.T.T.S. Mustangs travel team culminated in a scholarship offer from the Cats.

John Calipari watched Allen with the Mustangs in July, and his official signing Friday marked the first time UK's coach could comment publicly on the in-state commitment.

"Dontaie is one of Kentucky's finest," UK Coach John Calipari said in a statement released by UK. "I love Dontaie's ability to score the ball in different ways. He's got a lot of skills with the ball in his hands and athleticism to play above the rim. I'm always excited anytime there's a player from our state who can come in and help this program and have an impact. Dontaie does all that for us."

Allen was one of the best players in the state last season — averaging 31.8 points and 11.4 rebounds per game and shooting nearly 40 percent from three-point range — and he'll go into his senior campaign as a frontrunner for Kentucky Mr. Basketball honors.

He's the first in-state player to sign with the Wildcats since another Mr. Basketball, Dominique Hawkins of Madison Central, did the same in the spring of 2013. Bullitt East standout Derek Willis was also in UK's recruiting class of 2013, signing with the Cats in November 2012.

When Calipari extended a scholarship offer to Allen during a campus visit in early August, the lifelong UK fan committed on the spot.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Matt Jones@KySportsRadio
28m28 minutes ago

Matthew Hurt cancelled John Calipari's In-home visit tonight

His father Dick Hurt, shut it down.  Looking for contact from Will Wade?

Duke lock.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol