Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henri Murphy, The Scoop: almost slipped through the crack

Started by Air Show, June 27, 2015, 04:34:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Air Show

Late bloomer, late qualifier, run-oriented offense (failed to showcase his talents), poor film coverage.
Although Henri had speed his junior year, he had a small frame. lt wasn't until the Spring of his junior year that his times begin dropping and weight was added to his frame. Note: most college recruiters start scouting their wish list during a prospects junior year. During his senior year, he had the numbers, speed and the frame, but he played in a run-oriented offense, plus he got injured and missed 2 or 3 games at the end of the season. His touches came from stop and go routes, punt and kick returns. On defense is where he really shined. He is a legit 5-11, 180 Dl cover corner from the bump and run or off position with receiver instincts. Add 10 pounds of muscle and it will be "hell to tell the Captain." I would lock him down with most SEC receivers.
He made his rounds with the football camps, but recruiters stayed away because he hadn't qualified. The speed is what got everybody's attention and then to find out that he's a football player with speed and not a trackster playing football. When he did qualify; it was late (past signing day) and a lot of spots were taken. Only D2's had interest at this point. After qualifying, everybody started calling, PAC 12 schools (Arizona, California, ect..), a host of California D1's, AAC schools (Tulsa, UTEP)and A-State. The problem with recruiting today is that major D1 schools get the pick of the litter and don't have the time to research an athlete like Henri; they just move to the next prospect with less issues, recruiting services too. Henri got on the radar and then fell off again. If it wasn't for his track times and football camps, who knows. Somebody is getting a steal. Stay tuned! Hogfan 2000, you are spot on!

P.S. Henri could play Texas HS football as a WR or DB!

JIHawg

I didn't see this in your post above which is very good.  Is he on  Arkansas' radar?  Is this the kid with Arkansas connections that was posted about a few months ago?

31to6

Quote from: JIHawg on June 27, 2015, 04:43:32 pm
I didn't see this in your post above which is very good.  Is he on  Arkansas' radar?  Is this the kid with Arkansas connections that was posted about a few months ago?
WR out of Pine Bluff, Dollarway.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/_/id/182442/henry-murphy

RussVegas Hawg

Pretty sure he's committed to play Baseball at a smaller school in Arkansas like Henderson or somewhere like that. Hear he's a hell of a center fielder as well as a track and football stud.

Air Show

SkeeterHawg

Confused.  Is he walking on at Arkansas or something?  I can't find mention of him anywhere but the "almost slipped through the crack" would seem to indicate something along that line. 

Air Show

left behind all together, late to the recruiting process.

MissippHog

Is he enrolled anywhere?  I would think a walk-on spot is his only option at this point, right?

southeasthog

Signed with Henderson State.

Additional players from Arkansas that signed with the Reddies include Alex Kennedy (6-1, 205, QB) of Murfreesboro High School, Bryson May (5-10, 218, FB) of Booneville High School, Samuel Mason (6-0, 270, FB/LB) of Genoa Central High School, Jesse Simmons (6-4, 300, DT) of Newport High School, Stephen Wewers (6-0, 325, OL) of Harrison High School, Rowland Brothers (6-1, 160, K) of Barton High School, and Henri Murphy (5-11, 175, WR) of Pine Bluff Dollarway.

http://hsusports.com/news/2015/2/2/FB_0202150618.aspx?path=football

Seebs

Quote from: southeasthog on June 28, 2015, 08:12:18 am
Signed with Henderson State.

Additional players from Arkansas that signed with the Reddies include Alex Kennedy (6-1, 205, QB) of Murfreesboro High School, Bryson May (5-10, 218, FB) of Booneville High School, Samuel Mason (6-0, 270, FB/LB) of Genoa Central High School, Jesse Simmons (6-4, 300, DT) of Newport High School, Stephen Wewers (6-0, 325, OL) of Harrison High School, Rowland Brothers (6-1, 160, K) of Barton High School, and Henri Murphy (5-11, 175, WR) of Pine Bluff Dollarway.

http://hsusports.com/news/2015/2/2/FB_0202150618.aspx?path=football

The next Roy Green - good stuff.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Air Show on June 27, 2015, 10:19:36 pm
left behind all together, late to the recruiting process.

He was left behind because for whatever reason he was a late qualifier. Coaches can't afford to wait for prospects to make the grade. Since he is a full qualifier, if he still has aspirations of playing at a higher level, he could go the juco route. He would be a rarity in that he could be recruited as a freshman. He is a good athlete, no doubt, but this thread as no point since he is going to Henderson.

ricepig

Quote from: Philip Seaton on June 28, 2015, 12:38:23 pm
He was left behind because for whatever reason he was a late qualifier. Coaches can't afford to wait for prospects to make the grade. Since he is a full qualifier, if he still has aspirations of playing at a higher level, he could go the juco route. He would be a rarity in that he could be recruited as a freshman. He is a good athlete, no doubt, but this thread as no point since he is going to Henderson.

Correct, if he really wanted to play D-I, then JUCO would be the best route. As you said, full qualifiers with 4 to play 3 would be very enticing to schools.

Air Show

hoofer

bump for air show.  sounds like you know something, please share. i've been high on this kid for a while. the state has not produced a kid with this kind of speed in a while and would love to see him on the Hill. He did sign with Henderson so I don't see anyway he won't be there in the Fall.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Air Show on June 28, 2015, 05:08:27 pm
Stay tune!

I'm tune..!  I'm freaking very tune and have been for a week..!  Stop teasing man..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Air Show

Patience, hold your tusk! Awaiting NCAA LOI release. If not released in time, JUCO-bound. Mississippi address until December. Back on the market in mid December.

hogfan2000

I led a charge for Henri in October here, and everyone here basically called me an idiot.  You have to love message boards.  Go read the Henri Murphy thread from October and you will learn what guys are worth listening too here.

Lights Out

I hate the situation this kid is in. He signed with HSU on NSD, at the time  he wasn't an qualifier.  HSU coaches knew he wasn't a qualifier at the time and that he was being recruitred and had offers from several D-1 schools. They just didn't pull the trigger on him because he wasn't qualified.

So the HSU coaches  promised him that if he was to get qualified  at any time and have any  D-1 offers, they would release him because they understand that most kids dream of playing D-1 football.

Well what do you know,  guess what? He became qualified at the end of the school year. Now here come the D-1 schools...but now the HSU coaches are balking on the release.

So now the kid probably will have to go juco for a semester and loose a year.  When he could be at some D-1 making an immediately impact.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Lights Out on July 07, 2015, 11:53:51 pm
I hate the situation this kid is in. He signed with HSU on NSD, at the time  he wasn't an qualifier.  HSU coaches knew he wasn't a qualifier at the time and that he was being recruitred and had offers from several D-1 schools. They just didn't pull the trigger on him because he wasn't qualified.

So the HSU coaches  promised him that if he was to get qualified  at any time and have any  D-1 offers, they would release him because they understand that most kids dream of playing D-1 football.

Well what do you know,  guess what? He became qualified at the end of the school year. Now here come the D-1 schools...but now the HSU coaches are balking on the release.

So now the kid probably will have to go juco for a semester and loose a year.  When he could be at some D-1 making an immediately impact.

So does he have to get released to go JUCO? And what D1 schools are looking/have offered?

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Lights Out on July 07, 2015, 11:53:51 pm

Not a way to endear yourself to hs coaches, and future players around the state if you are HSU coaches. Not to mention get a bunch of Hog fans ticked off at you and your program.

Sivad

Quote from: ImHogginIt on July 08, 2015, 12:59:46 am
Not a way to endear yourself to hs coaches, and future players around the state if you are HSU coaches. Not to mention get a bunch of Hog fans ticked off at you and your program.
And rightfully so.

Lights Out

Its my understanding these are his options.

He can go to a juco and play.  But he has to pay his own way a semester and then he can sign with a D-1 in December. The knock on that is what if he gets hurt and D-1s back off. I think he would have 4 years to play 3

He can go directly to D-1 but cannot play or even practice with team for a year plus he has to pay his own way that year.   The knock on that what inner city kid you know coming from a single parent family has 40k laying around to do that.

The coach at HSU can grant him a release and he can go anywhere an play this fall.

Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, Memphis, Astate, Arizona State, Arizona, California, UNLV, Boise St, Louisville.  The thing is that none of those schools can talk to him or offer because he signed an NLI with HSU.  The HSU coaches turned one of those schools in to NCAA for tampering after they got wind D-1 schools were back in the mix.

What I don't like is that...this coach at HSU is basically saying if he doesn't come there and play. He is going to make this kid pay for it literally and figuratively.   

ricepig

Well, it doesn't cost $40,000 to go to an instate school for a year, probably half, still not cheap. I guess I'd go the JUCO route if I couldn't get my release.

NLRHog92

Quote from: Lights Out on July 08, 2015, 02:50:11 am
Its my understanding these are his options.

He can go to a juco and play.  But he has to pay his own way a semester and then he can sign with a D-1 in December. The knock on that is what if he gets hurt and D-1s back off. I think he would have 4 years to play 3

He can go directly to D-1 but cannot play or even practice with team for a year plus he has to pay his own way that year.   The knock on that what inner city kid you know coming from a single parent family has 40k laying around to do that.

The coach at HSU can grant him a release and he can go anywhere an play this fall.

Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss State, Memphis, Astate, Arizona State, Arizona, California, UNLV, Boise St, Louisville.  The thing is that none of those schools can talk to him or offer because he signed an NLI with HSU.  The HSU coaches turned one of those schools in to NCAA for tampering after they got wind D-1 schools were back in the mix.

What I don't like is that...this coach at HSU is basically saying if he doesn't come there and play. He is going to make this kid pay for it literally and figuratively.

Thanks for the info! +1 Looks like everything will be known by the end of this month. If I were him, I would go JUCO. If he played, it would keep him in game condition and improve going against stronger comp. If he redshirted, 4 to play 4 is still great and school would be looking to add him as that is a rarity (as you mentioned.)

I'm also wondering, what if he just delayed a semester or year and just didn't show up at HSU? Wouldn't he be able to then sign with a school next year and still retain 5 to play 4?

And yes, I've always heard Coach Maxfield is a bit of a harda$$. It does him no good to strong-arm the kid though. Even if he folds and just decides to stay for the year, it's going to be tough to get the most out of him. Why force something if he doesn't want to be there?

Seebs

HSU

Estimated Nine Month Cost of Attendance for 2015-2016
Based on 15 hours per semester

On-Campus
With Parents
Off-Campus

Tuition & Fees
$8,100
$7,900
$7,900

Books & Supplies

Room & Board

Miscellaneous

Transportation

Loan Fees

TOTAL
$20,432
$16,948
$21,71
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

WriterWrong

I hope the kid succeeds. If he's got talent, hopefully he finds a really good home to showcase that talent.

That said, I don't get why people connected to an athlete come to this board to tell their story.

"Here's what happened to so-and-so"
"Here's why D1 schools didn't take him."
"He got overlooked and got a raw deal."
"Arkansas should've signed this kid back when, but they still have a chance."

I'm sure the kid can play football. I'm sure he's a great, uncommon kid. I just don't get how taking to the message boards to tell his life story is relevant.

If the kid is heading to Arkansas, by all means, throw some information out there. But the, "Here's a story that may or may not have any relevance to Razorback football" deal doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing I'm alone in this feeling.

Best of luck to Henri. If he can play, hope he finds a home on the Hill.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: WriterWrong on July 08, 2015, 10:51:19 am
I hope the kid succeeds. If he's got talent, hopefully he finds a really good home to showcase that talent.

That said, I don't get why people connected to an athlete come to this board to tell their story.

I'm sure the kid can play football. I'm sure he's a great, uncommon kid. I just don't get how taking to the message boards to tell his life story is relevant.

If the kid is heading to Arkansas, by all means, throw some information out there. But the, "Here's a story that may or may not have any relevance to Razorback football" deal doesn't make sense to me. I'm guessing I'm alone in this feeling.

It could also be the kid, and he may just want to be a Hog. If we can get another player that really wants to be a hog I say the more the merrier... No need to make those comments man.
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

MissippHog

Quote from: WriterWrong on July 08, 2015, 10:51:19 am

Last I checked you aren't forced to read anything on here.

I appreciate the story.  We get a little inside information on the ugly side of recruiting, something you most likely won't see elsewhere. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Air Show... I live in NE Miss.. Let us know if Henry goes to ICC, Scooba or wherever... I'd like to make a few good Hog Calls when he makes some plays...  ;)

Peter Porker

Need him at Arkansas Baptist. Coach Vaughn will have him running 10 flat as a sophomore.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

NLRHog92

Josh Allen sat out last year after not getting into UNC, but eligibility didn't count against him. Why doesn't Murphy do the same thing and just elect not to go to HSU or any school this upcoming semester? Allen's situation was different in that he didn't elect to do that, but if Murphy isn't in a program, then I don't think his eligibility would be active. Then the LOI wouldn't be binding to HSU and he would be free to be re-recruited and be able to transfer in as a mid-year enrollee essentially.

Air Show

Vantage 8 dude

IF the kid wants to be a Hog then more power to him. However, at this point I say let him walk-on like a quite a few other kids have and that would give him his shot. Game, set, match.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Air Show on July 13, 2015, 05:18:30 pm
Standby Tusk!

P.S. I'm an old White Hall boy right off of Bryant Street in P.B., and I owe a Dollarway kid a few cheers... LOL..!

Air Show

I hear you tusk. Old school rivals, Bulldogs and Cardinals. Dollarway Rd baby!

Air Show

ricepig

Quote from: Air Show on July 15, 2015, 07:41:31 pm
Denied! Mississippi JUCO.

You can petition the NCAA for releases, or has this taken place?

Air Show

OneTuskOverTheLine™

hoofer

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on July 16, 2015, 08:33:06 am
http://emccathletics.com/sports/fball/index

What is the latest here? i see the denied thread, where we he denied? Henderson and now you are saying he's going to JUCO? I can't see him getting denied at Henderson.

And I don't see him on the roster at the link above.

Anybody know is latest?

Arkamedes

Quote from: hoofer on August 14, 2015, 05:38:40 pm
What is the latest here? i see the denied thread, where we he denied? Henderson and now you are saying he's going to JUCO? I can't see him getting denied at Henderson.

And I don't see him on the roster at the link above.

Anybody know is latest?

If I understand it correctly, he wasn't denied entrance by Henderson. He signed a NLI with Henderson and the coach wants him to honor his commitment. He was a late qualifier and wants to play at a D1 school. He tried to get a release from the NLI but was denied. His options are to sit out a year at a D1 school or go to JUCO. I would like to hear an updated status report myself.
"The time is always right to do what is right." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Rise above oneself and grasp the world." ~ Archimedes

carolinahogger

Quote from: Air Show on July 15, 2015, 07:41:31 pm
Denied! Mississippi JUCO.

Are you The Riddler?  These sentence fragments in every post make it difficult for the casual reader to understand what you are trying to convey.

LRrazorback

You've got to be a mind reader to keep up with this thread.

Hogberry Snortcake

Quote from: LRrazorback on August 15, 2015, 05:32:32 pm
You've got to be a mind reader to keep up with this thread.

Almost there!  Get ready for biscuits...

LRrazorback

Ha, thanks Hogberry!  That statement cleared everything up.

Air Show

Henri is enrolled at East Central Mississippi JUCO Decatur, Mississippi. Henderson State wouldn't release him to sign with any D1 suitors.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Air Show on August 16, 2015, 03:42:38 am
Henri is enrolled at East Central Mississippi JUCO Decatur, Mississippi. Henderson State wouldn't release him to sign with any D1 suitors.

Should have went to ABC and ran track for Coach Vaughn.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.