Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Devin White tweet

Started by Music City Hog, June 18, 2015, 07:46:51 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 03:59:06 pm
You're not talking about Holyfield.  That is not his top 5. This is Holyfield

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansas/football/recruiting/player-Elijah-Holyfield-154887

Actually, because he doesn't indicate any particular school of preference over another, those school logos may scroll through because here is the actual Rivals site (not Hawgsports Rivals) that is now showing Florida, Oregon State, Georgia, Arkansas and Boston College, so who knows? I figure he probably winds up at Auburn or Alabama, maybe even Georgia before he would wind up here, but he hasn't chosen yet so we will see where he goes.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruiting/football/recruiting/player-Elijah-Holyfield-154887
Go Hogs Go!

hawgmasta

Quote from: trashcan maN on June 18, 2015, 01:20:31 pm
21 OL have been taken in the first round over the past 3 years and only 2 RBs.

While I think that the trend in the NFL does show us that the RB position has a lot to do with scheme and blocking; it's always best to have the best players in college. . . Period. Or any level of competition for that matter. Heart helps; but talent IS measurable and it's best to have the most.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: steefhog on June 18, 2015, 03:49:34 pm
Its June.

Five and four stars usually pull the trigger early...for an established program, or they wait til January and evaluate the other programs first.

We arent an established program yet.

A lot of really good recruits are likely in "wait and see" mode.

So we get to wait, too.

Who are the really good RB's are you referring to?  That we have offered and they have interest in us as well?

Music City Hog

Quote from: trashcan maN on June 18, 2015, 01:20:31 pm
21 OL have been taken in the first round over the past 3 years and only 2 RBs.

We don't play in the NFL.  That's a passing.  We are a running team in a running league. 

Huds_HawgTide

Holyfield has stated the want to give us a visit...hope he at least visits
"you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bulls ass, but id rather just take the butchers word for it" tom callahan
tommy boy

"Don't leave and be FROM Arkansas, stay and BE Arkansas" --coach jimmy dykes

"Going to mcd's for a salad is like going to a brothel for a hug"

Steef

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on June 18, 2015, 04:27:13 pm
Who are the really good RB's are you referring to?  That we have offered and they have interest in us as well?

Any that havent committed already by Jan 1.

go hogues

We have lots to boast to a RB recruit:
ESPN's RBU
Bielema's track record w/RB's at UW & now UA
Monster line to run behind
SEC

If we can't seal the deal with a major RB recruit with these bullet points, then something else is going on.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: go hogues on June 18, 2015, 06:28:51 pm
ESPN's RBU
SEC

If we can't seal the deal with a major RB recruit with these bullet points, then something else is going on.

CBB invites players to join our family. He will throw the goods to a perfect fit (Roddy) or he will leave the door open and wait. I wonder if Alex Collins has already promised he'd comeback for his SR year..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I went back and re-read the article. It looks more, to me, like Arkansas is his favorite and he doesn't want to piss off the home folks just yet.. IMHO
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

lefty08

I'm kind of with you Tusk. I don't see why anyone would be negative or have a bad feeling from that tweet. It has to be the fact LSU wants him, he's in state, and most razorbacks have an inferiority complex when it comes to our recruiting
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

lefty08

It would also help to explain the few offers being dished out. Who knows, but I like our chances at Pennamon as well. We could very well get both imo
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

PaintballHog

I hope you guys are right. Fingers crossed.

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Wildhog on June 18, 2015, 01:01:17 pm
I think you're misunderstanding. 

Those are the only three RB's we've offered that are uncommitted (except for Holyfield, who we're absolutely not getting.)

If we keep waiting to send other offers out, we're going to be short on options later if we miss on those three.  It's all a numbers game.

And no one's panicking.
I do understand very well.  It is a numbers game and there is no shortage of excellent quality RBs available and literally dozens more that will develop and become big names that fans aren't aware of.  Maybe we miss on the few fans are discussing.  If so, it won't matter.  There are plenty more.  It is hilarious for fans to think there are RBs like Chubb out there for us to land one of them.  Chubb is a freak and a RB can be far less talented than him and be a great college RB.  Those who think the RB is more important or equal to the OL are delusional.  OL is far more important.

PaintballHog

Quote from: hawgfan4life on June 18, 2015, 09:16:50 pm
I do understand very well.  It is a numbers game and there is no shortage of excellent quality RBs available and literally dozens more that will develop and become big names that fans aren't aware of.  Maybe we miss on the few fans are discussing.  If so, it won't matter.  There are plenty more.  It is hilarious for fans to think there are RBs like Chubb out there for us to land one of them.  Chubb is a freak and a RB can be far less talented than him and be a great college RB.  Those who think the RB is more important or equal to the OL are delusional.  OL is far more important.

White is very similar to Chubb, to think we can't get a rb like Chubb when we had a better one here in Dmac is dishonest or ignorant.

Nobody said RB is more important than Oline.

Oklahawg

Man I am sick of the whining.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RazorWhacker

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 18, 2015, 10:32:15 pm

Yeah, it entertaining for a while, then it gets old wading through miles of darn trying to see if there is any new developments.

Arkansas Fan

I'm sick of the star gazers. Name any player and they'll scurry and find any recruiting site that had that player rated as high as possible. As if only four and five star players are the only good ones.

PaintballHog

whosiskid

Let me make a few points, both pro and con as to White's possible coming to Arkansas.

First only last week, or perhaps the week before that, White posted on his Twitter feed that Arkansas had by far the best social media fans in the country. He has had a lot of fun posting with and reposting Arkansas fans, and while such things are meaningless to me personally, they mean a lot to kids these days.

Second, he has stressed that playing time is a major factor for him and he has been looking hard at the depth chart at the various schools he is considering. If so, this has to be a huge positive for Arkansas and a huge negative for LSU and Alabama.

Third, Otis on 247 has stated several times that someone very close to Devin has told him that we have a real shot at him and even said that he thinks he will go to Arkansas. However, today Otis said that even though his sources say what they say, his gut tells him that Devin will go to LSU. Let's hope that Otis is wrong and the source is correct.

Fourth, at this stage of the game, why do we trust Crystal Ball predictions that go heavily for home state kids. The prediction with White has less to do with White than with kids in the past and what they have tended to do. White is his own guy, and he seems capable to bucking the trend.

Fifth, even if White commits to LSU, it is still very early in the recruiting process and a LOT of things can happen. For instance, we might find a juco running back we like a lot or a player might flip. Four years ago Jonathan Williams looked like he was going to Missouri.

Sixth, if we get to October and our offense is greatly improved and both Williams and Collins are averaging close to 100 yards a game and RWill3 is getting 50 yards a game as a true freshman, a lot of kids are going to rethink where they want to go. We could have several kids look more positively at the Hogs. Also, we might get a line on some kid in Idaho or Colorado who is an excellent prospect and might be interested is going to the SEC. Things can change. The entire recruiting process is fluid and will remain so until NSD.

Seventh, Hammond is already committed to Arkansas and could be extremely effective as a running back. They have already indicated that they want to get him on campus before deciding what position they want him at. He might go to WR, but he could end up at RB. If you've seen his highlight reel, he runs extremely well in traffic. I would feel very comfortable going with Crockett and Hammond at RB along with RWill III.

Finally, those saying RWill III was not heavily recruited ignore the fact that he shut down his recruiting HARD after he flipped to Arkansas. I've often commented on over emphasizing the number of offers. Ty Storey was not heavily recruited by that standard. Neither was Dmac. Neither was Bijohn Jackson. Had RWill III left a door open, he would have received a LOT more offers than he did. Same with Storey and Jackson. Think of Rafe Peavey when he briefly seemed to reconsider his commitment to Arkansas when it looked like they were going to take two QB commits in his class. Several schools contacted him immediately, including USC. So in many cases - and you have to distinguish which those are - a smallish number of offers simply means that a player let it be known that they are not interested in talking with any other schools.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Steef

Except for the fact that I believe RW3 is gonna redshirt, that's a great post.

HoggusMaximus

I agree RW3 will more than likely redshirt this year. he would be 4th on the depth chart at best if he played now.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 04:28:00 pm
We don't play in the NFL.  That's a passing.  We are a running team in a running league. 

?

It seems to me that we are a running power team, with LSU, in what's becoming a finesse league...

Hoggish1

Quote from: go hogues on June 18, 2015, 06:28:51 pm
ESPN's RBU
SEC

Ding, ding, ding...

Hoggish1

Quote from: whosiskid on June 19, 2015, 03:26:31 am
Let me make a few points, both pro and con as to White's possible coming to Arkansas.

First only last week, or perhaps the week before that, White posted on his Twitter feed that Arkansas had by far the best social media fans in the country. He has had a lot of fun posting with and reposting Arkansas fans, and while such things are meaningless to me personally, they mean a lot to kids these days.

Second, he has stressed that playing time is a major factor for him and he has been looking hard at the depth chart at the various schools he is considering. If so, this has to be a huge positive for Arkansas and a huge negative for LSU and Alabama.

Third, Otis on 247 has stated several times that someone very close to Devin has told him that we have a real shot at him and even said that he thinks he will go to Arkansas. However, today Otis said that even though his sources say what they say, his gut tells him that Devin will go to LSU. Let's hope that Otis is wrong and the source is correct.

Fourth, at this stage of the game, why do we trust Crystal Ball predictions that go heavily for home state kids. The prediction with White has less to do with White than with kids in the past and what they have tended to do. White is his own guy, and he seems capable to bucking the trend.

Fifth, even if White commits to LSU, it is still very early in the recruiting process and a LOT of things can happen. For instance, we might find a juco running back we like a lot or a player might flip. Four years ago Jonathan Williams looked like he was going to Missouri.

Sixth, if we get to October and our offense is greatly improved and both Williams and Collins are averaging close to 100 yards a game and RWill3 is getting 50 yards a game as a true freshman, a lot of kids are going to rethink where they want to go. We could have several kids look more positively at the Hogs. Also, we might get a line on some kid in Idaho or Colorado who is an excellent prospect and might be interested is going to the SEC. Things can change. The entire recruiting process is fluid and will remain so until NSD.

Seventh, Hammond is already committed to Arkansas and could be extremely effective as a running back. They have already indicated that they want to get him on campus before deciding what position they want him at. He might go to WR, but he could end up at RB. If you've seen his highlight reel, he runs extremely well in traffic. I would feel very comfortable going with Crockett and Hammond at RB along with RWill III.

Finally, those saying RWill III was not heavily recruited ignore the fact that he shut down his recruiting HARD after he flipped to Arkansas. I've often commented on over emphasizing the number of offers. Ty Storey was not heavily recruited by that standard. Neither was Dmac. Neither was Bijohn Jackson. Had RWill III left a door open, he would have received a LOT more offers than he did. Same with Storey and Jackson. Think of Rafe Peavey when he briefly seemed to reconsider his commitment to Arkansas when it looked like they were going to take two QB commits in his class. Several schools contacted him immediately, including USC. So in many cases - and you have to distinguish which those are - a smallish number of offers simply means that a player let it be known that they are not interested in talking with any other schools.

All extremely good points!  Thanks for taking the time to think clearly about a subject that should not be stressed over, at this point in the year.

One more point to add:

We are a school that will used multiple running backs very effectively.  We also take the time to explain to a 15-16-17 year old, and more importantly, most of the time, especially with good parents, that head injuries and wear and tear on the body are going to be minimized for a kid used in our style of play because we keep kids fresh. 

People who think (parents and players) have got to appreciate that, especially if the kid wants to have a career at the next level.

Wildhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 18, 2015, 10:32:15 pm

I've not seen one person whine about anything.  I think everyone's happy about our recruiting, in general.

We're just discussing one potential issue.

I get sick of everyone being so overly sensitive on a freaking internet message board.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

prattville pig

Life's too short to last long.

Wildhog

Quote from: prattville pig on June 19, 2015, 08:40:38 am
T.J. Hammond

I've always thought he was more of a slot guy.  I wonder if his body could hold up as an SEC RB.
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 18, 2015, 04:28:00 pm

Guess that's why the Seahawks have made the SB the last 2 years?

lefty08

Quote from: Wildhog on June 19, 2015, 08:35:04 am
I've not seen one person whine about anything.  I think everyone's happy about our recruiting, in general.

We're just discussing one potential issue.

I get sick of everyone being so overly sensitive on a freaking internet message board.
Your post reeks of sensitivity......

Wildhog

Quote from: lefty08 on June 19, 2015, 08:45:36 am
Your post reeks of sensitivity......

I'm sensitive to sensitivity.

Tho thenthitive.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on June 19, 2015, 08:45:03 am
I've always thought he was more of a slot guy.  I wonder if his body could hold up as an SEC RB.

Not without some Herb magic.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on June 19, 2015, 08:48:07 am
Not without some Herb magic.

Herb magic?  Sounds like a party.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Wildhog on June 19, 2015, 08:49:45 am
Nah, it's one thing our strength and conditioning coach is bringing to the program. :P

Music City Hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 19, 2015, 08:45:25 am
Guess that's why the Seahawks have made the SB the last 2 years?

I have no clue what this means or how it relates to our football program

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 19, 2015, 09:39:41 am
I have no clue what this means or how it relates to our football program

You were the one saying NFL is a passing league.

Music City Hog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on June 19, 2015, 09:43:43 am
You were the one saying NFL is a passing league.

The nfl is a passing league. That's why RB have been devalued so much.  I'm so confused.

PaintballHog

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 19, 2015, 10:00:25 am
The nfl is a passing league. That's why RB have been devalued so much.  I'm so confused.

He's trying to use one team who has a power running game as evidence that the NFL isn't a passing league, despite the mounds of data supporting that it is.

And lets be real, the Seahawks are successful because of their defense.

HogWildBison2011

The topic is Devin White in case anyone forgot.

PaintballHog

June 19, 2015, 11:52:42 am #138 Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 02:54:03 pm by PaintballHog

Laughing Hog

It is a party, a party of sweat and pain and a lot yelling at 6 am in the morning. Gotta love ya some Herb magic! Party on Garth!
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Laughing Hog

Quote from: HogWildBison2011 on June 19, 2015, 10:26:32 am
The topic is Devin White in case anyone forgot.

Nice! well done.
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

HogInFlorida

Honestly we might have too many WRs. JCorn, Jojo, Edwards, Stewart, Pettway Hammonds and Jones will all be here for a while. We don't use our WRs nearly as much as we used to obviously. Hammonds is the most suited of those to play the role of scat back. If we whiff on Whaley and Pennamon, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him play RB.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Wildhog

Quote from: HogInFlorida on June 19, 2015, 04:39:35 pm
Honestly we might have too many WRs. JCorn, Jojo, Edwards, Stewart, Pettway Hammonds and Jones will all be here for a while. We don't use our WRs nearly as much as we used to obviously. Hammonds is the most suited of those to play the role of scat back. If we whiff on Whaley and Pennamon, I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him play RB.

Oh, I wouldn't either.  And there has been mention of that. 

Just not real sure how I feel about it.  I think he could be valuable in certain situations back there, but I just don't know if he could handle 200 carries a year. 

On the flip side, I think he could be a game changing slot receiver.

Maybe I'm wrong.  It happens sometimes.
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 19, 2015, 04:56:22 pm
Oh, I wouldn't either.  And there has been mention of that. 

Just not real sure how I feel about it.  I think he could be valuable in certain situations back there, but I just don't know if he could handle 200 carries a year. 

On the flip side, I think he could be a game changing slot receiver.

Maybe I'm wrong.  It happens sometimes.

In my mind he's kind of like a Cantrell figure, but in a different way. A swiss army knife with no defined position, but he'll get on the field and contribute somehow

OneTuskOverTheLine™

fRED tALLEY AND mICHAEL sMITH SAY HELLO...

Wildhog

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on June 19, 2015, 05:09:55 pm
fRED tALLEY AND mICHAEL sMITH SAY HELLO...

Didn't Michael Smith sit out almost an entire year due to injury? 

Can't remember Fred Talley's injury history.

And caps.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hogs-n-Roses

We have a system/scheme. Many huge n talented big uglies. Come run behind them and make yourself a name. Take a few less strait on hits n therefore less pounding to your body. Live life in less pain n go to the NFL. Not as a star but a quality RB with a good character and a respectful personality.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: HogInFlorida on June 19, 2015, 04:39:35 pm
Well with Enos the overall amount of passing may very well increase. In addition, we're all seen the fact that we haven't had a huge amount of separation from most of our WRs in the past several years. Let's see how things play out....

jjdlc

Quote from: whosiskid on June 19, 2015, 03:26:31 am

100% agreed, a lot of people around here were certain Jalen Merrick was going to UF or FSU because those were the home state schools, and that's where the crystal ball said he was going.  We saw how that turned out, he basically announced his decision as he was boarding the plane.  There isn't anything to this point that makes me think LSU is his clear favorite.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Yeah on Dick's-son street...