Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ESPN-Where do SEC football players come from?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 18, 2015, 05:52:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

We examined the signing classes for every SEC program over the last decade (2006 through 2015) to see which states and metro areas were the most fertile for SEC programs and also reviewed trends in in-state and out-of-state recruiting. Over the next two days, we will reveal some of those trends for teams from the SEC West and then the SEC East.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/102510/where-do-sec-football-players-come-from-look-to-georgia-and-specifically-atlanta
Go Hogs Go!

Vantage 8 dude

Interesting that this flies in the face of all the perception that the leading states to produce players in the SEC are Texas, Florida and Louisiana. While all three produce a ton, the Peach Tree State leading the whole bunch is definitely a revelation to me. 

HogShat

That is a little skewed IMO. If you look at it per capita the story reads a little different. JUst some food for thought. Bored at work!  ;D

#of SEC Athletes/Population of state=SEC Athletes per capita

Georgia 582/10,097,343= 5.76

Florida 520/19,893,297=2.61

Texas  419/26,956,958=1.55

Alabama 318/4,849,377=6.55

Mississippi 275/2,994,079=9.18

Louisiana 255/4,649,676=5.48

Tennessee 198/6,549,352=3.02

South Carolina 135/4,832,482=2.79

Arkansas 98/2,966,369=3.30

Missouri 91/6,063,589=1.50

Inhogswetrust

I was surprised to see Georgia at the top. Not surprised if it would have been 2, 3 or 4.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Cinco de Hogo

NM

Reading Comprehension
Reading Comprehension
Reading Comperhension

Hogfaniam

And there Memphis sits.  5 hrs away.  close enough for family to make every game, far enough away to feel like being on your own.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Hogfaniam on June 18, 2015, 11:16:34 am
And there Memphis sits.  5 hrs away.  close enough for family to make every game, far enough away to feel like being on your own.

Nolan tore Memphis UP..! I wonder if Memphis may not have the same grade issues we see in some of the bigger schools in Arkansas? I am really impressed by the HS development in Arkansas that started with HDN. We know he wasn't ALL bad. he did leave us one VERY good legacy with in state players and HS programs. B4 him Arkansas kids had to beg for offers. Ford went all over to find guys.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Cinco de Hogo

The Memphis area and Mississippi have been black holes for us.  Wonder what we ever did to them people.

redeye

I knew Georgia produced the most SEC players, but the number for Memphis is a little surprising.  We used to consider Memphis important, but then we stopped.  The reasons I remember hearing for us leaving were grade issues, closer to other schools and lack of many players.  Well, according to this, they've produced more SEC players then New Orleans and I believe Ole Miss, Vandy and Alabama are the only SEC schools closer then Arkansas.  I think we really need to get back in Memphis.

WarPig88

We didn't leave Memphis as much as Memphis left us. Nolan pillaged Memphis at the beginning of his time here and the athletic community there took notice and made sure that Arkansas is a dirty word with Memphis area recruits.

redeye

Quote from: WarPig88 on June 18, 2015, 02:52:49 pm
We didn't leave Memphis as much as Memphis left us. Nolan pillaged Memphis at the beginning of his time here and the athletic community there took notice and made sure that Arkansas is a dirty word with Memphis area recruits.

Interesting.  I remember Nolan targeting Memphis, but don't recall many recruits after Hardaway chose Memphis State.

In football, I don't recall much attention given to Memphis after the Albert Means scandal.  Could that have something to do with it?

PaintballHog

All that talent for Georgia and they didn't do anything with it.

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 18, 2015, 08:13:30 am
Interesting that this flies in the face of all the perception that the leading states to produce players in the SEC are Texas, Florida and Louisiana. While all three produce a ton, the Peach Tree State leading the whole bunch is definitely a revelation to me. 
Texas and Fla probably produce the most DI talent, but not in the SEC as the article stated.  If you included the ACC and Big12, then they would be probably lead.

WarPig88

Quote from: redeye on June 18, 2015, 02:56:05 pm
Interesting.  I remember Nolan targeting Memphis, but don't recall many recruits after Hardaway chose Memphis State.

In football, I don't recall much attention given to Memphis after the Albert Means scandal.  Could that have something to do with it?

There have been a ton of highly rated basketball recruits out of Memphis since Marlon Townes signed with us who went to Memphis or elsewhere. Now, not all of them developed at the collegiate level like Hardaway did, but they were highly sought after recruits.

Cal is who really poisoned the ground for us in Memphis while he was there.

redeye

Quote from: East TN HAWG on June 18, 2015, 03:02:04 pm
Texas and Fla probably produce the most DI talent, but not in the SEC as the article stated.  If you included the ACC and Big12, then they would be probably lead.

Yea, Georgia only produces the most SEC players, but not the most D1 players overall.  This has received a lot of attention over the last few years and really isn't anything new.  I've mentioned it several times.

carolinahogger

Where do SEC football players come from?

Well, sometimes Mommy and Daddy love each other very much...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on June 18, 2015, 04:39:41 pm
Yea, Georgia only produces the most SEC players, but not the most D1 players overall.  This has received a lot of attention over the last few years and really isn't anything new.  I've mentioned it several times.

Last time I looked, I believe on a per capita basis of all high school football players, the greatest ratio of D-I players to total players belonged to Florida.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 18, 2015, 06:17:19 pm
Last time I looked, I believe on a per capita basis of all high school football players, the greatest ratio of D-I players to total players belonged to Florida.

Yea, here's an old rivals story showing that.

https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1328639

Georgia is second and Arkansas is right ahead of Mississippi, which I find surprising.  I've seen data showing that Mississippi puts out more great players per capita then anyone else, but I don't recall the specifics.

Here's a question for you:  Arkansas and Mississippi have roughly the same population, so why does Mississippi have twice as many football players?  I know we often hear that high school football is bad in Arkansas, but are Mississippi students really twice as likely to participate in football?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on June 18, 2015, 06:55:57 pm
Yea, here's an old rivals story showing that.

https://www.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1328639

Georgia is second and Arkansas is right ahead of Mississippi, which I find surprising.  I've seen data showing that Mississippi puts out more great players per capita then anyone else, but I don't recall the specifics.

Here's a question for you:  Arkansas and Mississippi have roughly the same population, so why does Mississippi have twice as many football players?  I know we often hear that high school football is bad in Arkansas, but are Mississippi students really twice as likely to participate in football?

Too much Soccer in Arkansas? ;) I have no idea.
Go Hogs Go!

regi

Not shocked to see Georgia at the top, this State is loaded with talent and huge interest, the kids get every chance down here to succeed in football. It is the reason Richt averages 10 wins a year and more than half the fan base is ready for him to leave 7 years ago.

carolinahogger

Quote from: redeye on June 18, 2015, 06:55:57 pm

From Wikipedia list of US states by African American population:

1.  Mississippi  37.3%
12. Arkansas    15.76%

Atlhogfan1

This is a reason I've made my comments about the Dallas series' length and how it restricts our scheduling flexibility when it comes to playing in Atlanta or Houston.  I remember it suggested by Texans when A&M joined that the SEC was going to focus on Texas in recruiting and come in and start taking significantly more players.  No. The SEC gets helps from Texas but it doesn't need Texas.  A&M does.  Arkansas somewhat. And when the SEC forced Mizzou on us, they limited our opportunity for exposure in the eastern part of the SEC by taking away our SC game.  Hopefully we'll make it to Atlanta at some point in the beginning and end of seasons. 

Memphis is a corrupt cesspool in the least educated, poorest region of the US.  Have to be very careful recruiting there or accept the consequences of what may happen.  Goes for football and basketball. 

AU wouldn't have won titles David Ching without those qb's being kicked out of other SEC programs.

Quote from: carolinahogger on June 18, 2015, 07:14:40 pm

1.  Mississippi  37.3%
12. Arkansas    15.76%

easy one to answer
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

redeye

Quote from: carolinahogger on June 18, 2015, 07:14:40 pm

1.  Mississippi  37.3%
12. Arkansas    15.76%

So you think black students are more likely to play football?  I realize Mississippi has more black people, but does that explain why they have twice as many football players as Arkansas?  Maybe it does, but like Muskogee, I don't know the answer.

redeye

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on June 18, 2015, 07:18:20 pm
This is a reason I've made my comments about the Dallas series' length and how it restricts our scheduling flexibility when it comes to playing in Atlanta or Houston.  I remember it suggested by Texans when A&M joined that the SEC was going to focus on Texas in recruiting and come in and start taking significantly more players.  No. The SEC gets helps from Texas but it doesn't need Texas.  A&M does.  Arkansas somewhat. And when the SEC forced Mizzou on us, they limited our opportunity for exposure in the eastern part of the SEC by taking away our SC game.  Hopefully we'll make it to Atlanta at some point in the beginning and end of seasons. 

Memphis is a corrupt cesspool in the least educated, poorest region of the US.  Have to be very careful recruiting there or accept the consequences of what may happen.  Goes for football and basketball. 

Who would we play early in Atlanta?  I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's something I don't believe we've ever done in OOC games and we never play ACC teams.

It's not like we don't already recruit Georgia, but would putting more energy there pay off?  I'm inclined to say it wouldn't, but I'd love to be proven wrong.  Missouri and Kentucky seem to do pretty well, but they have an advantage by playing Georgia every year.  Either way, I'm not sure what that has to do with recruiting Texas?

If Auburn ever moves to the SEC-E, it's possible that Georgia would become our cross-division game and that may be your best chance of seeing Arkansas play in Georgia somewhat regularly.  Alabama, Tennessee and Ole Miss all seem to do well in Memphis, so while we may need to be more selective, I'd still like to see us put more energy there.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on June 18, 2015, 07:58:52 pm
Who would we play early in Atlanta?  I'm not opposed to the idea, but it's something I don't believe we've ever done in OOC games and we never play ACC teams.

It's not like we don't already recruit Georgia, but would putting more energy there pay off?  I'm inclined to say it wouldn't, but I'd love to be proven wrong.  Either way, I'm not sure what that has to do with recruiting Texas?

If Auburn ever moves to the SEC-E, it's possible that Georgia would become our cross-division game and that may be your best chance of seeing Arkansas play in Georgia somewhat regularly.  Alabama, Tennessee and Ole Miss all seem to do well in Memphis, so while we may need to be more selective, I'd still like to see us put more energy there.

Bielema has said he is interested in some of these kick-off classics in larger venues around the country (like Atlanta) and even said he had been approached with the idea.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 18, 2015, 08:01:56 pm
Bielema has said he is interested in some of these kick-off classics in larger venues around the country (like Atlanta) and even said he had been approached with the idea.

I wasn't considering those, but that would be great!

carolinahogger

Quote from: redeye on June 18, 2015, 07:47:13 pm
So you think black students are more likely to play football?  I realize Mississippi has more black people, but does that explain why they have twice as many football players as Arkansas?  Maybe it does, but like Muskogee, I don't know the answer.

Seriously?

Let me connect the dots for you.

1.  Mississippi has roughly twice the African American population of Arkansas.
2.  An African American kid is statistically more likely to be a major college football player than a white kid.  Look at the racial makeup of the Razorbacks for example.
3.  Therefore with a somewhat similar total population, MS is likely to produce many more major college football players than Arkansas.