Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

247 Predicts 2016 Class Rankings

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, June 17, 2015, 11:53:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

This article from 247 predicts final recruiting rankings through position 30.

http://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-Crystal-Ball-predicts-final-team-recruiting-rankings-37800663

I found it a bit odd that we were not in the top 30 considering that BB finishes strong and has had top 25 classes 2 out of 3 years with a 29 sandwiched between.

I know it is still early but any concerns we will not finish in the top 30?  I'm not hung up on rankings in that if we finish anywhere from 15 to 25 I think it's basically the same quality of class since so much is subjective and I also believe we have one of the best staffs at developing talent.  However I do think it is important to finish in or around that top 25 mark for momentum, national attention, etc.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

jgphillips3

if we are really only taking 22, it will be tough to break the top 30 without a big time close getting Agim, White and a bunch of 4 stars to jump on board.

jry04

There isn't a doubt in my mind that we will finish top 25. We are currently 34th on 247, with only 8 commits. As we fill our class, we will no doubt climb the rankings. Silly for them to not pick us in the top 30. I honestly think that they just forgot about us.

jry04

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 17, 2015, 11:57:41 am
if we are really only taking 22, it will be tough to break the top 30 without a big time close getting Agim, White and a bunch of 4 stars to jump on board.
Disagree. UNC had 0 5 stars and 3 4stars last year with 21 recruits, and they were top 30 last season.

Michigan State had 1 5* 3 4* and 22 recruits at #25.

We are currently 34th with just 8 commits. We have less commits than everyone else 1-33. We will likely land multiple 4/5* players this year as we win 8-9 games, and haul in a top 25 class. We are 31st on Rivals.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 17, 2015, 11:53:50 am
This article from 247 predicts final recruiting rankings through position 30.

http://247sports.com/Article/247Sports-Crystal-Ball-predicts-final-team-recruiting-rankings-37800663

I found it a bit odd that we were not in the top 30 considering that BB finishes strong and has had top 25 classes 2 out of 3 years with a 29 sandwiched between.

I know it is still early but any concerns we will not finish in the top 30?  I'm not hung up on rankings in that if we finish anywhere from 15 to 25 I think it's basically the same quality of class since so much is subjective and I also believe we have one of the best staffs at developing talent.  However I do think it is important to finish in or around that top 25 mark for momentum, national attention, etc.
So much fodder for discussion. With many schools having less than half their upcoming class already committed the gurus are already assigning "final rating" predictions. Must be the same clowns who've already assigned bowl spots after the '15 season BEFORE ONE DOWN HAS BEEN PLAYED. Nice..... :puke: BTW I have a suggestion: to save any future drama or angsts I suggest these idiots should begin predicting both the final class recruiting ranks AND bowl spots at least five years into the future.

PaintballHog

Will be interested to see how close it is to end rankings.

Science Fiction Greg

Wow, so now we are worried by predictions about the predictions of our how our players are predicted to do.

I don't even know what to say to this.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

Wildhog

This.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PaintballHog

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on June 17, 2015, 02:28:57 pm
Wow, so now we are worried by predictions about the predictions of our how our players are predicted to do.

I don't even know what to say to this.

This really doesn't have much to do with rankings. More to see how accurate their crystal ball predictions are.

Music City Hog

So the stated number we take is 18-22.  Rankings are based on the top 20 commits, so IF we only take 18 or 19 then we will get credit for 0 points for the Unfilled spots under 20.  This will make our ranking poor because other teams will get credit for 20 players. 

Should we sign 20 or above then this is a moot point and it won't matter. 

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on June 17, 2015, 12:37:28 pm
So much fodder for discussion. With many schools having less than half their upcoming class already committed the gurus are already assigning "final rating" predictions. Must be the same clowns who've already assigned bowl spots after the '15 season BEFORE ONE DOWN HAS BEEN PLAYED. Nice..... :puke: BTW I have a suggestion: to save any future drama or angsts I suggest these idiots should begin predicting both the final class recruiting ranks AND bowl spots at least five years into the future.

I forget which magazine it is maybe Athlon's that goes back and ranks the classes 5 years after based on actual performance. 

I agree that too much fret is put into recruiting rankings but at the same time it has become an industry in itself that further promotes those teams at the top and helps build hype get exposure and concentrate talent, so at the end of the day finishing in the top 25 or even getting mentioned in the projected top 30 doesn't hurt and probably helps, especially when the competition is so tough and margin for error so low.  But that is one thing that I like about BB is the time he puts into checking out every single recruit and their background.  This does help reduce the misses.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on June 17, 2015, 02:55:28 pm
I forget which magazine it is maybe Athlon's that goes back and ranks the classes 5 years after based on actual performance. 

I agree that too much fret is put into recruiting rankings but at the same time it has become an industry in itself that further promotes those teams at the top and helps build hype get exposure and concentrate talent, so at the end of the day finishing in the top 25 or even getting mentioned in the projected top 30 doesn't hurt and probably helps, especially when the competition is so tough and margin for error so low.  But that is one thing that I like about BB is the time he puts into checking out every single recruit and their background.  This does help reduce the misses.
Certainly couldn't agree more concerning the diligence of CBB and the entire staff when it comes to offers. However, my point still stands: pretty idiotic to make any real rankings at this point. While it's true you can pretty much name a handful of the normal "suspects" such as 'Bama, tOSU, UGa, LSU, FSU and others who will always seem to do well, there are many others, one perhaps even being the Hogs, whose number of commits are not only fairly low, but whose final scores certainly could be impacted by kids not yet officially committed. For many of these latter schools just one 5 or a smattering of 4*s (and even a 3* or two that ends up being upgraded) can make a major difference in the final outcome. While it obviously means nothing at this point, the whole rating by 24/7 at this juncture is idiotic. 

rwspear

may as well be speculating on the 2017 preseason rankings or who will win the 2020 superbowl

rljjr

So what would the reason be that we wouldn't recruit the maximum allowable number? Is there a long term strategy I'm not aware of (I mean more than normal)?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: rljjr on June 17, 2015, 04:36:56 pm
So what would the reason be that we wouldn't recruit the maximum allowable number? Is there a long term strategy I'm not aware of (I mean more than normal)?
We just don't need/have room for 25

PaintballHog

Quote from: rljjr on June 17, 2015, 04:36:56 pm

85 man roster limit. Other schools will use loopholes to get rid of guys to sign 25 (or more) every year, but it isn't BB style to force a player out that is putting effort to improve and help the team.

jgphillips3

Quote from: jry04 on June 17, 2015, 12:03:24 pm
Disagree. UNC had 0 5 stars and 3 4stars last year with 21 recruits, and they were top 30 last season.

Michigan State had 1 5* 3 4* and 22 recruits at #25.

We are currently 34th with just 8 commits. We have less commits than everyone else 1-33. We will likely land multiple 4/5* players this year as we win 8-9 games, and haul in a top 25 class. We are 31st on Rivals.

I really meant to use the word could instead of will but those could still be outliers rather than representative results.  I was just trying to give a rational basis for excluding us, not trying to say we can't get there.  If we close strong, mid twenties could be realistic.

Hogs-n-Roses

With taking 22 it don't hurt the long term success of our recruiting if we fill the tank properly. We are never gonna have 3-4 top 15 classes in a row butm we can compete with anyone as long as our selection keeps pace wit the last year. We are stockpiling great linemen at a fantastic pace. Keep it up coaches. Your doing just fine.

Bubba's Bruisers

We gonna break top 30, fellas.  Even with only 22.

Speaking of finishing strong, what's the story on John Tate, the DE out of Pine Bluff?  I never hear anything on him.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 17, 2015, 02:38:57 pm
So the stated number we take is 18-22.  Rankings are based on the top 20 commits, so IF we only take 18 or 19 then we will get credit for 0 points for the Unfilled spots under 20.  This will make our ranking poor because other teams will get credit for 20 players. 

Agreed. I bet we sign 20 and use the extra kids we sign to be "sign and place" or "sign and follow" (pick your verbage). If LOIs #19-25 are at the end of the wish list they count for less in the rankings anyway.

Now, everyone can get back to scratching heads about why we wouldn't be in the top 30. :)
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OneTuskOverTheLine™

I find it awfully inspiring that our coaches can develop walk-ons enough to not only award scholarships for them, but to save scholarships for them. That IS uncommon...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

duckman

Absolutely, positively, 100% meaningless....

ZERO

Since we lost Ramsey, does that mean we can now expect to sign one more?
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

31to6

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 17, 2015, 02:38:57 pm

That is how rivals works, but not 247.

Rivals controls for class size by only giving points for the top 20 recruits.

247 awards points on a bell curve, with the best player in the class getting full points and each player below that getting a smaller percentage of their theoretical worth.

For example, the bottom 5 recruits in last year's class only contributed ~5.5 points to our team ranking score while the top 5 contributed ~105 points. Which means that if we had only taken the top 18 guys last year we still would have ranked 28th (vs 23rd), on 247's rankings.

To see an example of what this means, the team ranking contribution of Virginia's 9th best player in 2015, James Trucilla (.8417 rating) was 9.54 points while the team ranking contribution of our 18th best player, Derrick Graham (.8448 rating) was only 2.43 points.

duckman

Quote from: 31to6 on June 18, 2015, 01:41:47 am
That is how rivals works, but not 247.

Rivals controls for class size by only giving points for the top 20 recruits.

247 awards points on a bell curve, with the best player in the class getting full points and each player below that getting a smaller percentage of their theoretical worth.

For example, the bottom 5 recruits in last year's class only contributed ~5.5 points to our team ranking score while the top 5 contributed ~105 points. Which means that if we had only taken the top 18 guys last year we still would have ranked 28th (vs 23rd), on 247's rankings.

To see an example of what this means, the team ranking contribution of Virginia's 9th best player in 2015, James Trucilla (.8417 rating) was 9.54 points while the team ranking contribution of our 18th best player, Derrick Graham (.8448 rating) was only 2.43 points.

In other words, it is subjective crap....

31to6

WarPig88

It is a prediction.

I would guess that it is in part based on what they are hearing with regards to our known targets and where they believe that they may be leaning.

If you compare this year's list of commits at this point to last season's, you will notice that in terms of rank, they are not as strong as last season's at this same point in time.

I could care less about rankings with our classes because we are probably never going to have consistent top 15 classes here but we have shown that we can still compete with the biggest of programs with the right coach to go with the talent we do bring in.

ricepig

Quote from: duckman on June 18, 2015, 03:41:12 am

You do seem to grasp the point in most subjects quickly........

Music City Hog

We currently have 6 spots left.   It's safe to assume in the end we will have 8-10 more, but just 6 as of now. Our class is currently ranked 11 of 14 on rivals in the SEC.   When ranking by average stars per commit we are dead last in the sec.  Dead last. 

We have zero DBs.  We need two more RBs.   

ricepig

Quote from: Music City Hog on June 24, 2015, 09:57:37 pm
We currently have 6 spots left.   It's safe to assume in the end we will have 8-10 more, but just 6 as of now. Our class is currently ranked 11 of 14 on rivals in the SEC.   When ranking by average stars per commit we are dead last in the sec.  Dead last. 

Yeah, it's June.

Deep Shoat

Funny how you whip out Rivals in this thread to promote your gloom, but argued against Rivals with 24\7 in the new TE commit thread for the same purpose...

All Gas, No Brakes!

Slimac4

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 24, 2015, 10:25:08 pm
Funny how you whip out Rivals in this thread to promote your gloom, but argued against Rivals with 24\7 in the new TE commit thread for the same purpose...

LOL! Got em

Music City Hog

Quote from: Deep Shoat on June 24, 2015, 10:25:08 pm

good point, let me use 247 instead.  Hey, we are ranked 11th on 247 too.   How about that!

duckman

Quote from: duckman on June 18, 2015, 03:41:12 am

Felt the need to quote myself....

redeye

June 25, 2015, 12:19:25 am #34 Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:12:21 am by redeye

Wow.. I hope you stay away from ledges and sharp objects.

Since you brought it up, I think Arkansas and Alabama have both been recruiting more lowly rated players this year.  Alabama still has a highly rated class, but they have 6 more recruits and their 247 average player rating is 3.42 points down from last year's class.  Meanwhile, ours is only 0.51 down from last year and I suspect some of our players will be re-rated higher.

It makes me question the recruiting services, because you typically have higher average player ratings this early in the year, since everyone goes after the highest ranked recruits first.

update: It also seems a little odd that Missouri and Oklahoma only have one 247 composite 4* player between them this year.

NLRHog92

No, we haven't gotten any big fish yet. That may come later, may not. Maybe not until we start winning consistently. But what we do have is kids that want to be Hogs. Some really good in state kids that have offers from lots of the big boys. We have 2 kids that we just offered at camp after the coaches worked with them and both recently committed. We're also making more in roads with TX, LA and continuing in FL. This isn't a WOW class so far (except at DT and maybe WR) but it has a chance to be. Sure RB looks a bit worrisome right now, as does DB, but it's only Jun. Many do not decide until after the season, and especially the top guys who have to have the spotlight on NSD. There's a LONG way to go. Have some faith in the coaches, they operate well and really are building a solid foundation and bringing in kids that become a team. Not everything that glitters is gold... Go Hogs!

Wildhog

Quote from: NLRHog92 on June 25, 2015, 03:58:18 am
No, we haven't gotten any big fish yet. That may come later, may not. Maybe not until we start winning consistently. But what we do have is kids that want to be Hogs. Some really good in state kids that have offers from lots of the big boys. We have 2 kids that we just offered at camp after the coaches worked with them and both recently committed. We're also making more in roads with TX, LA and continuing in FL. This isn't a WOW class so far (except at DT and maybe WR) but it has a chance to be. Sure RB looks a bit worrisome right now, as does DB, but it's only Jun. Many do not decide until after the season, and especially the top guys who have to have the spotlight on NSD. There's a LONG way to go. Have some faith in the coaches, they operate well and really are building a solid foundation and bringing in kids that become a team. Not everything that glitters is gold... Go Hogs!

Kellen Diesch is definitely a big fish.  I'd say Guidry is, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

NLRHog92

Quote from: Wildhog on June 25, 2015, 11:13:26 am
Kellen Diesch is definitely a big fish.  I'd say Guidry is, too.

I would agree! Offers wise, 100% yes! But I think the whining was due in part to ratings & stars (go figure.)