Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BOT meeting

Started by parallaxpig, November 08, 2017, 07:14:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimbob111

Quote from: Rudy Baylor on November 08, 2017, 07:15:58 pm
They discussed education

That's their role

Thank you, I thought they simply discussed spamming my inbox and my kik.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

Jimbob111

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 08, 2017, 07:53:50 pm
Do you seriously think they are gong to run off a President, Chancellor, and an AD just to get rid of a football coach? As I said, they might not be overly happy about an employee but they really can't do anything other than complain. The President and Chancellor runs the university.

I never understood the fascination with the BOT meeting or the hope that they will, even if they could, fire JL. But I will say this, the President and Chancellor are in charge of the entire university and at Arkansas, football is the face of the university.

And when funds start drying up for that new science building or chemistry lab because the football team isn't winning which means less attendance at games, less concessions sold at games, and less donations coming in which all help pay for things other than athletics, they will apply downward pressure.

When the President and Chancellor get tired of local politics applying pressure to them because hotel rooms are empty, restaurants don't have a waiting list, souvenirs/merchandise aren't selling and gas isn't being bought, they will apply downward pressure.

When the BOT members start to call or meet with the President and Chancellor, either at social gatherings or in private, and discuss the negativity surrounding the entire school and community that stems from the craptacular football program, they will again apply downward pressure.

So I don't expect miracles from a BOT meeting but the more pressure that is applied to the people who do make the decisions, you know, the President and the Chancellor, the more likely it is that someone leaves for greener pastures or gets put out to pasture.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?

ke2743

Quote from: hoofer on November 08, 2017, 09:47:00 pm
pretty much disregard anything else this guy posts. Long is on his way out, that's a lot of what tmro's executive session will be about - finding out if Chancellor is in agreement with BOT's (7 - 8 votes against Long). Long will not have his contract extended. If they find out Stinemetz extended JL's contract things could really get interesting. JL has very little chance of being here after Jan 1.

This!!!   And he doesn't even have many posts. 

moses_007

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 08, 2017, 09:41:21 pm
I'm not sure I would want to come back to an already extremely difficult job, made more so by a fan base and statewide media that has almost totally turned on me.
No you wouldn't, and that's why Houston Nutt left when he did.

Piggfoot

If Nutt quit why did we give him 3 million?
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Kevin

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 08, 2017, 08:04:11 pm
Nope. Not over one season of not making a bowl.

How about only having 11 conference wins over 5 seasons.  And in year 5 not even being competitive
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Kevin

How many times does the man get to make staff changes. He only has 2 remaining from his staff of the first year.

I have to inside source but I think he is gone and he knows it. Just based on his demeanor in press conferences over the last month

Plus tell me how they are going to get any excitement built around this program for next year if they keep him.

Heck the Arkansas media are taking like he is gone
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Mike_e

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 08, 2017, 07:57:15 pm

Who makes more money?

The President, or the Chancellor, or the AD, or the coach?

I would guess they are all pretty close when you exclude Foundation money.

So what happens if the Foundation decides to get stingy?

Can they do that?
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

RexMentor

Those who want a roaring blaze can conjure a fire from the light of a single candle. I've long though that it's more likely that CBB fires himself by quitting. Having hope the BOT will step in and do something you want done is waiting by the chimney for Santa to appear.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 09, 2017, 12:57:55 am

I can answer that in two words:

John White.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HoggyCat

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 06:11:06 am
I can answer that in two words:

John White.

No. Because he was fired.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

RexMentor

Long to the BOT IF CBB's employment status is addressed: Bret recognizes the team has been disappointing this year. I plan to address the issues with him after the season. My inclination right now is to allow him to continue to coach our team but with performance expectation clearly explained. Arkansas is not a fire at any cost program.

HardCore

Quote from: Piggfoot on November 09, 2017, 12:57:55 am

This just what I heard through the Grapevine back before Nutt's final season, so if somebody else knows for sure chime in.

It was my understanding that when HDN and his pride ran Damon, Mitch, & Gus out of town...it really pissed off the $ folks big time.  I was told there was a meeting (one of those behind closed-door types) before his last season in which he was informed that if was going to go with Casey Dick at QB, Lee as OC and all the rest of "His" guys, that his buyout would be exercised at season end if he did not make one of the 4 BCS Bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, & Sugar @ the time).  So, even after defeating #1 LSU in Baton Rouge......he knew he was gone because he had lost too many during the season.  He already had Sexton lining up OM for him before he was "officially" let go, thus the very quick turn around.  The U of A Admin tried to spin it, during the press conference announcing his departure, that they was going to pay him the remainder of his contract because it was "the right thing to do" type of a deal.  When actually, it had been mutually agreed upon before the season ever started.  That was the story I was told if there is any validity to it.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

HoggyCat

Quote from: HardCore on November 09, 2017, 06:30:59 am
This just what I heard through the Grapevine back before Nutt's final season, so if somebody else knows for sure chime in.

It was my understanding that when HDN and his pride ran Damon, Mitch, & Gus out of town...it really pissed off the $ folks big time.  I was told there was a meeting (one of those behind closed-door types) before his last season in which he was informed that if was going to go with Casey Dick at QB, Lee as OC and all the rest of "His" guys, that his buyout would be exercised at season end if he did not make one of the 4 BCS Bowls (Rose, Fiesta, Orange, & Sugar @ the time).  So, even after defeating #1 LSU in Baton Rouge......he knew he was gone because he had lost too many during the season.  He already had Sexton lining up OM for him before he was "officially" let go, thus the very quick turn around.  The U of A Admin tried to spin it, during the press conference announcing his departure, that they was going to pay him the remainder of his contract because it was "the right thing to do" type of a deal.  When actually, it had been mutually agreed upon before the season ever started.  That was the story I was told if there is any validity to it.

I wonder why Nutt was at the presser? That was the weirdest event at UA I've ever watched.

hawgon

40/29 reporter last night that Long is facing issues with the BOT over the expansion.  So, I suppose isn't just message board gossip any longer.

Kevin

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 06:43:46 am
40/29 reporter last night that Long is facing issues with the BOT over the expansion.  So, I suppose isn’t just message board gossip any longer.

unless the reporter got it from hogville

parallaxpig

40/29 reporter last night that Long is facing issues with the BOT over the expansion.  So, I suppose isn't just message board gossip any longer.

Yeah like if you bring B back will anybody show  up and use the new facility........
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 09, 2017, 06:15:21 am
No. Because he was fired.

Nutt wasn't fired but he wanted to leave but was not wanting to give up his annuity. He was given the money out of his annuity early because White did so in order for him to leave before the annuity was mature.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

He already had issues with two members. I doubt those two have changed their minds. That doesn't mean the rest of the board is any less supportive of the expansion.

jkstock04

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 08, 2017, 08:58:56 pm
Two things I can tell people and it won't make them happy..BB was NOT told he had to win so many games this year to keep his job. Of course that can be reevaluated at the end of the season but at this time there are no plans to fire him. JL will get an extension as AD and will be here next year regardless. The schedule is setup nicely next year and conditions will be placed on BB to achieve better results, minimum of 8 wins. He's not on the hot seat but will be next year. Sorry folks but that's the gist...
Being as that you have been 99.9% wrong about everything you post as to what is going to happen...this makes me happy to see you beat this drum.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ur

BOT is all over this and change is coming. A lot of change.

ricepig

Quote from: ur on November 09, 2017, 08:11:36 am
BOT is all over this and change is coming. A lot of change.

Oh...please tell me it's going back to Coke??

riccoar

Quote from: ricepig on November 09, 2017, 08:16:37 am
Oh...please tell me it's going back to Coke??
Oh, sweet little 8lb 6oz newborn baby Jesus, let this happen.  Get thee behind me Pepsi!

ur

I would love to be a fly on the wall sipping jack and coke watching this go down. Pepsi is at the bottom of their very long list. They aren't just discussing chemistry labs in this meeting.

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: 12247 on November 08, 2017, 08:01:09 pm
Light Lunch is the clue here.  They don't want to tackle the heavy work on an full stomach.  It can get downright ugly.  Such as I realize we aren't supposed to get into the daily workings of these Institutions but I am tired of the horse crap so maybe we could encourage the President to take whatever measures he deems necessary to either make changes or announce there are no changes.  He already knows that if he wants our opinion(s), he just needs to ask.  My days are uncomfortable enough without me having to explain I am not involved in matters of personnel unless asked.
This can only mean they are going to lighten the load of BB's office chair. ;D
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

hawgon

You can say what the BOT can and can't do, but no college administration can operate in opposition to it's BOT for long.  And the thing is, everyone has to choose their battles.  So, does the larger administration at Arkansas pick this AD and this football program as their hill to die on when everyone can see that it isn't working?  It isn't as if we have an excessively meddling BOT trying to take down a moderately successful coach and AD.  This isn't Alabama or Auburn.  This is a BOT that has basically been a rubber stamp and provided complete support for at least the last five years.  This isn't a question of taking a stand for academic integrity or anything like that.

So if it is true that the BOT is upset and looking for answers, would you as the president or chancellor stick your neck out for Jeff Long and Bert Bielema?  I think not. 

jjfmetal11

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 08:29:30 am
You can say what the BOT can and can't do, but no college administration can operate in opposition to it's BOT for long.  And the thing is, everyone has to choose their battles.  So, does the larger administration at Arkansas pick this AD and this football program as their hill to die on when everyone can see that it isn't working?  It isn't as if we have an excessively meddling BOT trying to take down a moderately successful coach and AD.  This isn't Alabama or Auburn.  This is a BOT that has basically been a rubber stamp and provided complete support for at least the last five years.  This isn't a question of taking a stand for academic integrity or anything like that.

So if it is true that the BOT is upset and looking for answers, would you as the president or chancellor stick your neck out for Jeff Long and Bert Bielema?  I think not. 
I agree 100%

EastexHawg

I have no idea what is going to happen, but I know what ought to happen.  When the state's biggest, most expensive, and formerly proudest program is being torn to shreds and the fans...and to some extent the entire state...are rife with dissention there is no reason to try to figure out a way to keep two men employed when they can be replaced so easily.

HoggyCat

The Buzz reported Long is at the meeting.

hawgon

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 09, 2017, 09:01:47 am
The Buzz reported Long is at the meeting.

So, at least some part of the reports is true.

oldhawg

Quote from: ke2743 on November 09, 2017, 12:23:10 am
This!!!   And he doesn't even have many posts. 

Brilliant.  You could say the same thing about Hoofer ---- but chose not to.

How long until people on here start saying what their "sources" tell them what happened in executive session?

The Hawg Marshal

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: parallaxpig on November 08, 2017, 07:18:42 pm
So they discussed how to educate Long on how to hire a successful coach at the U of A.
Bret Bielema was successful when he was hired.  By any measure.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on November 09, 2017, 10:01:58 am
Bret Bielema was successful when he was hired.  By any measure.

Then that is not a positive reflection on JL's leadership.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

DoctorSusscrofa

I'm ready for BB to go.  But I still can't get over how many people there are that seem to get their jollies wishing, wanting, and hoping for people to be fired and humiliated. I honestly don't get that in a state that claims to be conservative and claims to have down-home family values. The blood-thirstiness of Hog fans is disgusting.  I have no desire to get a pound of flesh because BB didn't work out. I'm fine if there's some way to let him and the administration work out some type of face-saving. We need a new coach that wants to be here, not one who wants to figure out how to protect himself from our own fans.

I swear we have idiot fans.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

razorcash2

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 09, 2017, 06:33:40 am
I wonder why Nutt was at the presser? That was the weirdest event at UA I've ever watched.
Because he loves the cameras, and he loved that helmet.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on November 09, 2017, 10:03:46 am
Then that is not a positive reflection on JL's leadership.

I guess you've never hired anyone then. I have hired a lot of people and ALL of them were qualified based on their Resume's, recommendations of previous employers or others and their interview. Some worked out great but others didn't and I eventually had to fire them. That is no reflection on leadership. Leaders make hiring mistakes all the time that on the surface when hired are not readily foreseen.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 11:11:00 am
I guess you've never hired anyone then. I have hired a lot of people and ALL of them were qualified based on their Resume's, recommendations of previous employers or others and their interview. Some worked out great but others didn't and I eventually had to fire them. That is no reflection on leadership. Leaders make hiring mistakes all the time that on the surface when hired are not readily foreseen.

Unfortunately, you'll never convince some of our geniuses about that.  Too many of our fans have made up their minds and they aren't wanting logic or real experience.  They want blood and they want people to validate their desire for it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: hawgon on November 09, 2017, 08:29:30 am

You do realize that the BOT is made up of members. Just because some might be upset and looking for answers doesn't mean all of them are. Remember there were two that voted against the the expansion. Maybe or maybe not they are the only ones with questions and got it on the executive session agenda. Nobody really knows but things might happen or they might not. Either way some on here will not like it.

Porkatarian

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on November 08, 2017, 07:28:11 pm
Nope. Boards can't and don't work that way.

You might be surprised.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

GuvHog

Quote from: Porkatarian on November 09, 2017, 11:44:03 am
You might be surprised.

Porkatarian out...

I hope you are right.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Tusks

You might be surprised.

Porkatarian out...

You made me smile Pork.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

cjack

You might be surprised.

Porkatarian out...

Back for the first time since he said CBB is out.  I hope that's a good sign for the rest of today.
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Tusks

Quote from: cjack on November 09, 2017, 11:53:23 am
Back for the first time since he said CBB is out.  I hope that's a good sign for the rest of today.

It is.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hoglady

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 08, 2017, 07:28:10 pm
Cathead buttermilk biscuits and gravy. Bet they get them from that great little restaurant off Cantrell in Little Rock. Can't recall the name right now but good breakfast there.

I remember that thread - I think I said then it was Red Door restaurant.
Most disagreed - and we never actually settled it.
Epic thread though - one you never forget.

And they actually do have Cathead biscuits and gravy - the best in town IMO.

Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

BoogaHog

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 09, 2017, 11:11:00 am
Managers, executives, and administarors do.  Effective leaders lead and make hiring mistakes infrequently (outliers).  And if one is constantly having to hire (save for growth, and even then, uncontrolled growth needs to be tempered), that points to ineffective leadership more than any other indicator.  Leader also own their bad decisions and do not make excuses.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: BJJHog on November 09, 2017, 12:08:13 pm
Managers, executives, and administarors do.  Effective leaders lead and make hiring mistakes infrequently (outliers).  And if one is constantly having to hire (save for growth, and even then, uncontrolled growth needs to be tempered), that points to ineffective leadership more than any other indicator.  Leader also own their bad decisions and do not make excuses.

Bull. Leaders make hiring mistakes ALL the time even IF they are good leaders. As far as hiring constantly all the time that is relative sometimes to the industry or business they are in. I agree leaders don't make excuses.

RagingHawgOn

Quote from: Kevin on November 09, 2017, 05:31:51 am
Heck the Arkansas media are taking like he is gone

Well it's surely a done deal then!  ::)

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: RagingHawgOn on November 09, 2017, 12:18:49 pm
Well it's surely a done deal then!  ::)

Be announced when Elvis has left the building.