Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is there a Big Green Egg thread?

Started by Pulled(PP)pork, April 24, 2016, 05:25:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boog41

PharmacistHog

those burnt ends were just stupid good. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 12:54:34 pm
You're a gentleman and a scholar, maybe the nicest person that ever lived...

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 12:54:34 pm

Did those all come off that one brisket? Give us the details on them please.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on June 20, 2016, 03:14:36 pm
Did those all come off that one brisket? Give us the details on them please.

Yeah, I just cooked the brisket whole and when it hit 190 I pulled it and wrapped in in foil and rested for an hour.  then I cut the top half of the point off and cubed it and threw in a foil pain with some broth and more rub.  Back on the egg for about 2 hours.  Then poured some bbq sauce over them and tossed them and left them on the egg another 3o minutes. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

PharmacistHog

I left part of the point attached to the flat because that's my favorite part to eat sliced so I had to save a little of it. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 03:20:51 pm
I left part of the point attached to the flat because that's my favorite part to eat sliced so I had to save a little of it.
how long is that cook, heard it's longer than a butt cook.....and more delicate

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 20, 2016, 03:21:55 pm
how long is that cook, heard it's longer than a butt cook.....and more delicate

PP

Well most of the time its really long, but for some reason this one went really fast.  I think my thermometer is shot and I think I was cooking hotter than the 275 I intended.  I think at 250 you can figure on an hour per pound.  I'm not that great, this one just turned out good.  They are definitely the most difficult cook, to me anyway. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 03:26:50 pm
Well most of the time its really long, but for some reason this one went really fast.  I think my thermometer is shot and I think I was cooking hotter than the 275 I intended.  I think at 250 you can figure on an hour per pound.  I'm not that great, this one just turned out good.  They are definitely the most difficult cook, to me anyway.
that's what I heard, my buddy put one on saturday night at 10, for 2pm sunday dinner.  was disappointed and said it was too dry, couldn't figure out what he did wrong.

PP

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 20, 2016, 03:30:20 pm
that's what I heard, my buddy put one on saturday night at 10, for 2pm sunday dinner.  was disappointed and said it was too dry, couldn't figure out what he did wrong.

PP

Well, its hard to say.  If it was crumbling, he overcooked it.  If it was tough but intact, he undercooked it.  You have to cook them by feel.  Once they hit 190 you have to go by feel.  The flat part of mine was a little thin so it was drier than others I've cooked.  The foil and rest is pretty important, too, though. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 03:37:01 pm
Well, its hard to say.  If it was crumbling, he overcooked it.  If it was tough but intact, he undercooked it.  You have to cook them by feel.  Once they hit 190 you have to go by feel.  The flat part of mine was a little thin so it was drier than others I've cooked.  The foil and rest is pretty important, too, though.
ah, I would consider him a grill master, but just my opinion.  he probably just had a bad cook.  he amazes me with how he just throws stuff together....or maybe he's hiding a secret, lol

PP

Boog41

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on June 20, 2016, 03:30:20 pm

PP

PP, brisket was the hardest thing for me to get down, just because of what you said. I'd get them too dry. Turns out I'd been getting them trimmed up too much. I now only buy mine from Dime's in Springdale. They come already pre-cut in a bag, about ten lbs each. I cook mine every time at 225 for 12 hours. Never had a problem since. They are usually in the 185 range when I pull them.

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 03:20:11 pm
Yeah, I just cooked the brisket whole and when it hit 190 I pulled it and wrapped in in foil and rested for an hour.  then I cut the top half of the point off and cubed it and threw in a foil pain with some broth and more rub.  Back on the egg for about 2 hours.  Then poured some bbq sauce over them and tossed them and left them on the egg another 3o minutes. 

I'll be trying this on my next brisket....Thanks Pharm

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Boog41 on June 20, 2016, 03:58:46 pm
PP, brisket was the hardest thing for me to get down, just because of what you said. I'd get them too dry. Turns out I'd been getting them trimmed up too much. I now only buy mine from Dime's in Springdale. They come already pre-cut in a bag, about ten lbs each. I cook mine every time at 225 for 12 hours. Never had a problem since. They are usually in the 185 range when I pull them.
I think he said he was tackling a 14lber

PP

FineAsSwine

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 20, 2016, 10:24:02 am
cooked a brisket for fathers day and made some burnt ends.  Best burnt ends I've ever cooked. 

Made me hungry and I just ate!

Boarcephus

Been wanting to replicate the blackened fish we get in Florida but it's too smoky to do indoors (found out from an earlier attempt my smoke detector is connected to our security system and that's when the fire department called)  and decided the egg was the perfect place to do it.  Never done it before and there is a bit of a learning curve to it.  Put my skillet on when I started my fire and ran the temp up to 450-475.  Planned on cooking it in a olive oil/melted butter mixture and when I poured that on the skillet it erupted in flames.  Got that put out but found out that was too hot to cook the fish at.  Backed it off to around 375 and it turned out great!  The first pic is a the high heat, the second at the lower heat.  Thawing some out now and will do it again in a day or two. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on June 20, 2016, 05:06:43 pm
Been wanting to replicate the blackened fish we get in Florida but it's too smoky to do indoors (found out from an earlier attempt my smoke detector is connected to our security system and that's when the fire department called)  and decided the egg was the perfect place to do it.  Never done it before and there is a bit of a learning curve to it.  Put my skillet on when I started my fire and ran the temp up to 450-475.  Planned on cooking it in a olive oil/melted butter mixture and when I poured that on the skillet it erupted in flames.  Got that put out but found out that was too hot to cook the fish at.  Backed it off to around 375 and it turned out great!  The first pic is a the high heat, the second at the lower heat.  Thawing some out now and will do it again in a day or two. 

Looks good.  Might wanna invest in a cheap IR thermometer if you don't have one.  That way you can see what your skillet temp is and definitely get it perfected.  I don't have one but I think I'm probably gonna buy one. 

PharmacistHog

My oldest son had his baseball team party sunday so I cooked a couple pork butts so we weren't all stuck eating hotdogs.  I put them on sunday morning about 1am and one was ready when I got home from church at noon and the other was ready at 1pm.  No plated pics but everybody seemed to enjoy them. 

Pulled(PP)pork

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Pulled(PP)pork on July 12, 2016, 10:09:03 am
Got any left??  Mmmmmmm

PP

I actually had a good bit left. Nearly a whole one.  I gave half of it to some friends and we are doing the leftover thing this week.  Pulled pork nachos tonight. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2016, 10:37:40 am
I actually had a good bit left. Nearly a whole one.  I gave half of it to some friends and we are doing the leftover thing this week.  Pulled pork nachos tonight.
I'll cook another butt soon....still trying to perfect the burger

PP

PharmacistHog

One of my favorite ways to do burgers is to make little sliders and eat them on kings Hawaiian rolls.  They cook pretty quick so not dry.  I cook them about 450 degrees. 

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 12, 2016, 10:46:09 am
One of my favorite ways to do burgers is to make little sliders and eat them on kings Hawaiian rolls.  They cook pretty quick so not dry.  I cook them about 450 degrees.
will give it a try.  love my new cast iron grate.  my first burgers were perfect, then the next one the wife wanted "crispy", so I toyed with them and had to put them back on for a few more minutes.

PP

RazorWild

I agree with everything pharm hog has said.  I made the mistake of spending too much money on a CyberQ.   It was fun to toy with but a bit of a pain.  When it started to malfunction after a year or 2, I didn't get much help out of the BBQ Guru folks.  I recommend the cheaper option in the PartyQ which doesn't monitor meat temps but you get better over time knowing when meat is gonna be done.  A thermapen is a must.  If you have any computer knowledge, you could build a "rasberry pie" on your own to control and monitor temps.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156059/my-bbq-controller

Boarcephus

Made this today.  Blackened Triggerfish cooked in a cast iron skillet on the egg with grilled shrimp served over rice pilaf with a garlic cream sauce.  Guarantee you'd pay to eat this and not bitch about the price!  We'll head back to to Florida in the fall and will stock up on the grouper, triggerfish, snapper, etc.  We freeze them in water and they'll last a while.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

PharmacistHog

PorkRinds

I only like fish if it's fried and I'd prolly tear that up.

hoosier

Here's some salmon and grilled veggies from last weekend.
The glaze on the salmon is a local bbq sauce but it's a thin sauce with a nice tang to it.

Wildhog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 13, 2016, 03:34:27 pm
Made this today.  Blackened Triggerfish cooked in a cast iron skillet on the egg with grilled shrimp served over rice pilaf with a garlic cream sauce.  Guarantee you'd pay to eat this and not bitch about the price!  We'll head back to to Florida in the fall and will stock up on the grouper, triggerfish, snapper, etc.  We freeze them in water and they'll last a while.

That's my kinda food right there.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

PharmacistHog

Well, I went with a simple cook yesterday.  Cheap and easy country style ribs.  They tasted like burnt ends to me.  I ended up making a homemade mcrib. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 13, 2016, 03:34:27 pm

I've had chefs in my restaurants over the years not make anything that looked that good!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarcephus

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on July 18, 2016, 04:57:19 pm
I've had chefs in my restaurants over the years not make anything that looked that good!

Thanks!  I've paid good money at restaurants for food that wasn't anywhere near this good.  I think we've just about decided the only time we're going out to eat anymore is when we want Chinese or Mexican and that's just because it's easy and you get a bigger selection.   We had some of the sauce and shrimp leftover and served it the next day over linguine and it was better than anything we've ever gotten at Olive Garden or Joe's. 

Boarcephus

Quote from: PharmacistHog on June 14, 2016, 10:53:40 am
I know lots of people hate them, but I bought a BGE brand cast iron grid.  I love it.  that's pretty much all I ever use.

My wife came up to me this weekend and said she found something and thought it went to my BGE.  It wasa brand new, cast iron grate like you use!  She had picked it up and a BGE dealer that had gone out of business a few years ago and had stuck it back for me but had forgotten about it.  Think I'll try it out tomorrow.  Talk about manna from Heaven.  Totally unexpected. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 19, 2016, 06:17:02 pm
My wife came up to me this weekend and said she found something and thought it went to my BGE.  It wasa brand new, cast iron grate like you use!  She had picked it up and a BGE dealer that had gone out of business a few years ago and had stuck it back for me but had forgotten about it.  Think I'll try it out tomorrow.  Talk about manna from Heaven.  Totally unexpected. 

Nice score.

Boog41

Pharm, how long and at what temp on those McRibs? It's been a long time since I've cooked any of those. Never thought about cutting them into individual pieces.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boog41 on July 20, 2016, 11:11:44 am
Pharm, how long and at what temp on those McRibs? It's been a long time since I've cooked any of those. Never thought about cutting them into individual pieces.

Those were already sliced and packaged like that at the store.  They were just beef chuck country style ribs (which basically means they took a bones butt and sliced into strips).  I think I cooked those at 250 for a couple hours.  Maybe even 2&1/2 hours.  I didn't even use temp probe, I just cooked them until they felt down then sauced them and let em glaze. 

hoosier

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 25, 2016, 04:05:46 pm
Those were already sliced and packaged like that at the store.  They were just beef chuck country style ribs (which basically means they took a bones butt and sliced into strips).  I think I cooked those at 250 for a couple hours.  Maybe even 2&1/2 hours.  I didn't even use temp probe, I just cooked them until they felt down then sauced them and let em glaze. 
I thought they were pork country style ribs. Sliced pork shoulder

PharmacistHog

Quote from: hoosier on July 25, 2016, 04:12:40 pm
I thought they were pork country style ribs. Sliced pork shoulder

Pork. My bad. I was in a hurry today when I typed that. Pork shoulder. Basically a boneless butt. Sorry. Was doing too much at once today. I have some beef chuck shortribs in the freezer. Guess I had my eye on those.

hoosier

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 25, 2016, 07:12:07 pm
Pork. My bad. I was in a hurry today when I typed that. Pork shoulder. Basically a boneless butt. Sorry. Was doing too much at once today. I have some beef chuck shortribs in the freezer. Guess I had my eye on those.
I figured
I still want to try the beef ribs after seeing the pics of yours a while back

Boog41

Quote from: PharmacistHog on July 25, 2016, 07:12:07 pm

Dimes in Springdale routinely carries those pork country ribs. I'll be getting some and trying them soon! Thanks

Boarcephus

I did the country style pork ribs a week or ago and had forgotten how good they are.  It's a much simpler process for me.  Basically set the egg at 275 or 300, rub them down and cook them till almost done then hit them with the sauce.  Guess I'm just getting lazy but the baby back ribs are a process, while these I can get done in a hurry and eat. 

PorkRinds

Love pork country ribs. It's like big hunks of pulled pork with extra bark. And and they are way faster!

PharmacistHog

Made some pretty good pork chops few nights ago. Sliced some thick chops from a pork loin. Marinaded few hours in dales marinade. Then rubbed with honey hog rub. Grilled about 475 and then glazed with some balsamic vinegar that wife reduced down to a syrup. Pretty damn good. As good as most steak Ive eaten most places.

Boarcephus

Looks good Pharm.  We went to Sam's this morning and they had a package of 2 huge porterhouses that we snatched up.  Sam's policy is to put one porterhouse and one T-bone together but it's not unusual to catch them like this, especially early in the morning. They were almost 2 pounds apiece and we tore them up today!  Couldn't eat them all but gave it a helluva try.  $9.99 a pound for porterhouse is not bad. 

PharmacistHog

Quote from: Boarcephus on July 30, 2016, 09:24:32 pm
Looks good Pharm.  We went to Sam's this morning and they had a package of 2 huge porterhouses that we snatched up.  Sam's policy is to put one porterhouse and one T-bone together but it's not unusual to catch them like this, especially early in the morning. They were almost 2 pounds apiece and we tore them up today!  Couldn't eat them all but gave it a helluva try.  $9.99 a pound for porterhouse is not bad. 

No thats not bad at all. I have about a 5lb strip loin in the frig Im letting age a few days. Gonna slice it up for some thick steaks in a day or two.

BR

Looks awesome Pharm.....  I need to get busy cooking again soon...
"Cause I love Cajun martinis and playin' afternoon golf"

PharmacistHog

Quote from: BR on July 31, 2016, 09:45:08 am
Looks awesome Pharm.....  I need to get busy cooking again soon...

Man I thought maybe you got eaten by a shark in belize or something. Havent heard from you in FOREVER. Im doing more country ribs today and also threw some beef ribs that I cut off a strip roast. Not expecting too much from them. They are just scraps.

HogPharmer

Smoked a pork butt tonight

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/hogpharmer/embed/Mobile%20Uploads/story"></iframe>
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: HogPharmer on August 06, 2016, 06:00:36 pm
Smoked a pork butt tonight

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1255.photobucket.com/user/hogpharmer/embed/Mobile%20Uploads/story"></iframe>

Looks great. I'll have to show you how to post a picture.

PorkRinds

I'm doing grilled chicken with white BBQ sauce tonight.  Never done white sauce before, but I hear it's fantastic.  I'll report back with a review, and possibly some pics if I can.