Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Segrest Leaving

Started by Porked Tongue, February 03, 2017, 01:30:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamSammich

I really don't even understand the fans vitriol towards Smith. He's the same guy that coached a great defense two years ago...

The players changed. I'm not sure Smith did.

ricepig

Quote from: Wildhog on February 03, 2017, 03:43:37 pm
I believe he would, considering he's just a "defensive front assistant."

I don't know what he makes, but he made around $400,000 as Co-DC at OU.

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 03:53:29 pm
I don't know what he makes, but he made around $400,000 as Co-DC at OU.

So let's make him DL/Co-DC and pay him appropriately.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Jim Harris

Quote from: HamSammich on February 03, 2017, 03:44:47 pm
I really don't even understand the fans vitriol towards Smith. He's the same guy that coached a great defense two years ago...

Smith lost the defensive players. They quit playing for him.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Wildhog

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 03:55:05 pm
Dude, I just got Segrest a tractor driving job, give me some time, probably next week.

Well, we gotta get Partridge on staff, too, so you better get busy.
1909/1964/1965/1977

theshiva

We need a Michael Smith type of recruiter for defense. It would be harder to find that in the NFL.

Wildhog

Quote from: theshiva on February 03, 2017, 03:59:24 pm
We need a Michael Smith type of recruiter for defense. It would be harder to find that in the NFL.

Luckily Jerry Montgomery is a great recruiter.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jkstock04

Someone had to fall on the sword.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

bennyl08

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2017, 02:29:37 pm
Who's fault was it then?they could not rush the passer,or get off blocks to stop the run.who's fault was it?

The lack of talent at the LB position and injuries. Forced them to scheme the secondary and DL differently to compensate for the weakness in the middle. Talent was already there in the secondary and DL to play more aggressively.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Deep Shoat

Did you WATCH 2014 vs 2016?  The entire system changed.  We attacked and funneled in '14.  In '16, we tried to hold the LoS, particularly the middle.  That left the edges vulnerable and gave the QB a ton of time.  Look at how Wise and Ledbetter showed out at the all-star game.  THAT was Segrest technique from '14.
All Gas, No Brakes!

elksnort

I am posting this before reading anyone's post.

First of all, what is with the notion that a defensive line coach can coach 4 down linemen but can't coach 3 down linemen?
A defensive line coach ought to be able coach any kind of alignment.

Secondly. How do any of you know that Segrest was a poor coach?
Maybe some of you have been to practice and know enough about football, to say, "Nah, he is not a very good coach"

Again, these are questions about knowledge. Help me out.

HamSammich

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 03:55:41 pm
Smith lost the defensive players. They quit playing for him.

Then they are quitters .... like I said- the players changed... I don't think Smith did .

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 03:08:11 pm
Everybody has at least one post they regret putting up here.

Mine was the Houston transfer avg. a double-double....That ended up being a doozy
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

forrest city joe

Quote from: PorkRinds on February 03, 2017, 04:17:39 pm
Actually neither one was "fire". They left but they weren't "fire".
Nice of coach B to do it that way. but both were told to find jobs in my opinion.but if you want to believe pie in the sky,so be it.

King Kong

The League of 4mill dollar coaches caught up to Smith. Yet Smith continued to run the same triangle alignment.

elksnort

Quote from: Jim Harris on February 03, 2017, 03:08:11 pm
Everybody has at least one post they regret putting up here.
This is absolutely true. Goodness knows I have had a few dozen probably.

jackflash

for me the biggest reason Segrest is gone he couldn't recruit. the question now can coach BB find someone who can?

LRHawg

Those of you who didn't catch this thread: http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=626785.0

Need to go read it before you comment here.

MuskogeeHogFan

Rory should have jumped ship and left in Jan 2016.

Eagles expected to hire Rory Segrest as defensive line coach, per source

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2016/1/21/10806812/eagles-rory-segrest-defensive-line-coach
Go Hogs Go!

jgphillips3

Smith was the problem.  That was his scheme.  If we didn't have the right guys to run it, he should have adjusted to what we did have.  There was enough talent to be at least moderately good.  We should have been ranked no worse than about the mid 30's on team D just based on talent.  40's at the worst.  Instead, we were historically bad.  I give Segrest a pass because he was a soldier under command.  Smith though steered the ship onto the rocks and deserved to go down with the ship.  That said, he may be a wonderful man and I wish him no ill will...he just has to be accountable for failing to do anything close to a reasonable job for two years. 

tophawg19

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2017, 04:16:11 pm
Wrong again.don't put the blame on others.and don't put it on the players.coach B fired the guy who's fault it was.and Smith was fire too.
if you would go read the Hogfanonthe hill post, he broke it down for you from the inside .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

hogsfan31

Quote from: Surfing8 on February 03, 2017, 02:16:48 pm
Glad we waited until post-Signing Day to keep the DL commitments intact.

He hasn't been recruiting in months and they more than likely already knew he would be leaving.This hasn't been a secret.

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsfan31 on February 03, 2017, 07:25:38 pm
He hasn't been recruiting in months and they more than likely already knew he would be leaving.This hasn't been a secret.

He was being sarcastic.

hogsfan31

February 03, 2017, 07:30:55 pm #73 Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 07:58:55 am by hogsfan31
Quote from: forrest city joe on February 03, 2017, 02:36:49 pm
Robb Smith was not the DL coach.and if was forcing the DL coach to do things that was killing the defense.then coach B should have put a stop to it.easy to blame everything on Smith now that he's gone.

Robb was the DC. He runs the defensive show unless Bielema had any input on things. Robb told him how to run the DL and that's what he did. So yes blame it on Robb. Segrest is a terrible recruiter and they'd rather have someone coach DL that has coached 3-4 and IMO is a better recruiter.

For the crowd that's convinced Bielema ran the defense and called the shots, we shall see this coming season.

hogsfan31

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on February 03, 2017, 02:39:50 pm
Partridge DL Coach
Montgomery Co-Defensive Coordinator

(my opinion)

I could see this being a possibility. Paul said he wanted to be a head coach again some
Day, so Montgomery could be DC when Paul moves along to a HC gig.

MemphisBossHog

Since it is apparently difficult to get top notch talent to come to Fayetteville, it would seem that we need to invest HEAVILY in top flight coaches/recruiters.  Tex A&M, LSU, Auburn, FLA and Im sure several more are paying assistant coaches some really big bucks.  Top notch coordinators are making a million a year at some of the schools with which we are competing. 

If we are going to continually get recruiting classes ranked in the 20s and 30s, then doesnt the Razorback Foundation need to come up with some serious financial packages for these great assistants coaches and recruiters?  Just a thought.  Once again, we got a low ranked recruiting class in the conference.  Orgeron is going to make LSU even MORE talented than they already were.  Bama is #1 nationally yet again.  Auburn is in the top 10,  A&M is A&M and gets tons of Texas talent who want to play in the SEC.

Something has to happen.  I love BB as a person, but he needs to find a good DL line coach who can recruit todays stud athletes and get them to come to NW Arkansas.   If it takes $$$ to do that, well I was always under the impression that the "Foundation" could come up with some serious bucks if need be.

ricepig

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on February 03, 2017, 08:59:07 pm
Since it is apparently difficult to get top notch talent to come to Fayetteville, it would seem that we need to invest HEAVILY in top flight coaches/recruiters.  Tex A&M, LSU, Auburn, FLA and Im sure several more are paying assistant coaches some really big bucks.  Top notch coordinators are making a million a year at some of the schools with which we are competing. 

If we are going to continually get recruiting classes ranked in the 20s and 30s, then doesnt the Razorback Foundation need to come up with some serious financial packages for these great assistants coaches and recruiters?  Just a thought.  Once again, we got a low ranked recruiting class in the conference.  Orgeron is going to make LSU even MORE talented than they already were.  Bama is #1 nationally yet again.  Auburn is in the top 10,  A&M is A&M and gets tons of Texas talent who want to play in the SEC.

Something has to happen.  I love BB as a person, but he needs to find a good DL line coach who can recruit todays stud athletes and get them to come to NW Arkansas.   If it takes $$$ to do that, well I was always under the impression that the "Foundation" could come up with some serious bucks if need be.

I'm afraid the $$$$ it would take to do that would have to go the players. I really don't think you could get top 10 classes to Fayetteville, otherwise. Now, I think better recruiters can get us in top top 20 every year, but they have to be able to coach, took

HamSammich

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 03, 2017, 05:46:38 pm
Smith was the problem.  That was his scheme.  If we didn't have the right guys to run it, he should have adjusted to what we did have.  There was enough talent to be at least moderately good.  We should have been ranked no worse than about the mid 30's on team D just based on talent.  40's at the worst.  Instead, we were historically bad.  I give Segrest a pass because he was a soldier under command.  Smith though steered the ship onto the rocks and deserved to go down with the ship.  That said, he may be a wonderful man and I wish him no ill will...he just has to be accountable for failing to do anything close to a reasonable job for two years.

First post in a month that has made sense in my "what's wrong with smith commentary" maybe he didn't change. I don't pretend to be smart enough to know for sure as an outsider. +1

razorbrass

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on February 03, 2017, 03:35:38 pm
That depends on the individual and their situation for the pro team and where they are going to a college team. I knew a high school teacher with a PhD in chemistry. He had numerous offers to go teach in college but turned them down. Said he liked teaching in high school. I'd bet some high school coaches have had college offers but not left and some college coaches have had pro offers and not left. Each person has to decide what is best for them at the moment.
He probably would have had to take a paycut to teach college and have to spend any free time he had doing research just to keep his job.  Politics in teaching college as bad as what you see every night on CNN.  Not worth the move - he is a wise man.
Ladies and Gentlemen can I please have your attention.  I've just been handed an urgent and horrifying news story and I need all of you to stop what you are doing and listen!

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hogsfan31 on February 03, 2017, 07:30:55 pm
Robb was the DC. He runs the defensive show unless Bielema had any input on things. Robb told him how to run the DL and that's what he did. So yes blame it on Robb. Segrest is a terrible recruiter and they'd rather have someone coach DL that has coached 3-4 and IMO is a better recruiter.

For the crowd that's not convinced Bielema ran the defense and called the shots, we shall see this coming season.
Bielema DIDN'T run the D.  That's what he and Robb were fighting over.  Smith wanted this "hold your ground" crap CBB alluded to it throughout the season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: razorbrass on February 03, 2017, 10:28:35 pm
He probably would have had to take a paycut to teach college and have to spend any free time he had doing research just to keep his job.  Politics in teaching college as bad as what you see every night on CNN.  Not worth the move - he is a wise man.

No he shouldn't have had to take a cut. That being said a LOT of people have taken pay cuts including myself. He simply liked teaching high school aged students. He also did research while teaching high school.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

hogsfan31

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 04, 2017, 06:07:26 am
Bielema DIDN'T run the D.  That's what he and Robb were fighting over.  Smith wanted this "hold your ground" crap CBB alluded to it throughout the season.

I said that backwards. I meant the crowd that believes Bielema was running the defense, not the other way around. I should have re read that.

Edit: Fixed it

hogcam

Quote from: hogsfan31 on February 04, 2017, 07:58:13 am
I said that backwards. I meant the crowd that believes Bielema was running the defense, not the other way around. I should have re read that.

Edit: Fixed it
The only reason the whole "Bielema had a hand on the defense" got brought up is because it fits their agenda of wanting Bielema gone. They weren't saying he had a hand on it when it was good in 14.. just like they aren't saying he has a hand on the offense because it's been pretty good. As soon as the offense starts doing bad, it'll be because Bielema has his hand on it.

#1Fan

Quote from: hogcam on February 04, 2017, 11:53:17 am
The only reason the whole "Bielema had a hand on the defense" got brought up is because it fits their agenda of wanting Bielema gone. They weren't saying he had a hand on it when it was good in 14.. just like they aren't saying he has a hand on the offense because it's been pretty good. As soon as the offense starts doing bad, it'll be because Bielema has his hand on it.

Bielema has a hand in everything.  He's the head coach.  If he doesn't, he SHOULD be gone.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2017, 09:25:18 pm
I'm afraid the $$$$ it would take to do that would have to go the players. I really don't think you could get top 10 classes to Fayetteville, otherwise. Now, I think better recruiters can get us in top top 20 every year, but they have to be able to coach, took

I think you are right in terms of the ultimate destination of certain monies to bring us into a top 10 recruiting class every year. Of course how much would have to be exchanged as we headed into the future (after the initial onset of that change in philosophy) would be dependent upon how well we utilized that talent that we had acquired and how much more we were winning. I'm pretty sure that any program that contends for Conference and NC's every year probably has to pay out less now, than they did when they were building that program.

The problem for Arkansas at this point isn't that they can't afford to compete in that arena, it is that they choose not to compete because of our philosophy in terms of the kind of kids that we wish to recruit that includes things like greater character and greater personal accountability...something that I think the staff looks for from the parents of the kids that they recruit. Yes, the best athletes we can find and sign, but probably few if any that demonstrate that they require payola to sign.

So I'm with you Rice in your thought that we probably can't reach a point where we are living on a regular diet of top 10 recruiting classes without wading into the recruiting cesspool along with the other teams that usually live in the top 10 in the country.
Go Hogs Go!

Timfromlittlerockhog

Quote from: #1Fan on February 04, 2017, 03:03:31 pm
Bielema has a hand in everything.  He's the head coach.  If he doesn't, he SHOULD be gone.

CBB is supposed to be a defense minded coach. I support our head coach because I'm a Razorback fan. But he should have been gone after his first season. Four years later and he's still making the same mistakes on defense that he did in year 1. Maybe he will get it figured out this year. OR maybe our new DC will figure it out for him. We can only hope. My confidence in CBB is zero at this point.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Timfromlittlerockhog on February 04, 2017, 04:15:31 pm
CBB is supposed to be a defense minded coach. I support our head coach because I'm a Razorback fan. But he should have been gone after his first season. Four years later and he's still making the same mistakes on defense that he did in year 1. Maybe he will get it figured out this year. OR maybe our new DC will figure it out for him. We can only hope. My confidence in CBB is zero at this point.
No one cares.

ricepig

Oh, he figured out the first year that we don't have the athletes on the DL that LSU, Bama and Auburn has, or LB's of Bama or LSU, or the secondary of Florida, Bama, or LSU. Allowing a coach one year puts my confidence level in your judgement at zero.

Hogfan46

Cool story.

PonderinHog

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2017, 04:26:01 pm
Oh, he figured out the first year that we don't have the athletes on the DL that LSU, Bama and Auburn has, or LB's of Bama or LSU, or the secondary of Florida, Bama, or LSU. Allowing a coach one year puts my confidence level in your judgement at zero.
Double nought zero or just zero?

ricepig

Torqued pork

Good luck Coach Segrest. Hopefully things will go better for you on your next job.

MuskogeeHogFan

You just told a fib, and you know it. Your "bias" is showing.
Go Hogs Go!

hogcam

Quote from: #1Fan on February 04, 2017, 03:03:31 pm
Kind of. But he lets his coordinators do their jobs

Torqued pork

Quote from: ricepig on February 04, 2017, 04:26:01 pm
If he didn't know BEFORE he took the job here it's on him. Arkansas hasn't exactly been churning out defensive draft picks on a big scale.

wachhog

Coach K's two medical leaves from Duke--one this season and one 22 years ago--are proof positive it is the  head coach

kibster

Quote from: wachhog on February 04, 2017, 07:12:30 pm
Coach K's two medical leaves from Duke--one this season and one 22 years ago--are proof positive it is the  head coach

Yep. That's all the proof you need an assistant doesn't matter. Take a completely different sport and give an example that is 22 years old. All the proof I need. Assistants apparently do nothing.
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 03, 2017, 01:44:34 pm
Please, please, PAHLEASE get someone who can recruit!
Someone who can develop as well. 4* DL with no development is what we had last season
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

radar

Its the head coach, no assistant or coordinator will turn their career around..

ricepig

Quote from: radar on February 04, 2017, 08:12:44 pm
Its the head coach, no assistant or coordinator will turn their career around..
Well, in 3 years we'll know if you were correct.