Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anybody know the status of Michael Taylor?

Started by swinesation, January 26, 2017, 05:09:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I thought he could help us at DE this year but he had problems getting cleared by the NCAA. He's listed on the roster - anybody got an idea if he is good to go for next year?

factchecker

Good to go as far as I know.

Coach Bielema has discussed him playing OLB in the new 3-4 scheme.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

FANONTHEHILL

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

swinesation

Quote from: factchecker on January 26, 2017, 05:13:30 pm
Good to go as far as I know.

Coach Bielema has discussed him playing OLB in the new 3-4 scheme.

Thanks. I think he can be a player for us. He and Ramsey make good 3-4 outside LB'ers. Who else they talking about at that position?

TheEnemy

Quote from: swinesation on January 27, 2017, 11:06:35 am
Thanks. I think he can be a player for us. He and Ramsey make good 3-4 outside LB'ers. Who else they talking about at that position?

Roesler

HOGINTENNESSEE

tophawg19

Epley looks like he would be great in that role also. may have to find a grad transfer . Epley's crystal ball says 100% hogs . has something happened that i missed ?
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: swinesation on January 27, 2017, 11:06:35 am

There's Taylor and then maybe Greenlaw, Ramsey, Eugene and Roesler. I would suspect that Kyrei Fisher might be groomed in this role as well. I am more concerned about who fits the role of the two inside LB's than the OLB's.
Go Hogs Go!

FANONTHEHILL

This is pasted from the roster last year.  No newcomers listed and those who left the program are noted. 
Jake Hall has been moved back to DL from OT.  This is what we have on hand to build a front 7.  Also, they may take a look at couple other guys on the defensive side of the ball.  A lot will be determined by which type of 3-4 Coach Rhoads wants to utilize.  If we're two-gap will be be bigger and if we're one gap, they will be more reliant on speed.  Also how much will we zone blitz will factor in.  I bet we will see all three used, and the scheme and caliber of opponent will vary from week to week.  The positions are from last year so no doubt some of these DL will be at strong side OLB going forward. 

53   Ben Brasuell   LB   Fr   6-1   218   Benton, Ark.   Benton HS
35   Dwayne Eugene   LB   Jr   6-1   235   Marrero, La.   Archbishop Rummel HS
23   Dre Greenlaw   LB   So   6-0   226   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
8   De'Jon Harris   LB   Fr   6-0   255   Harvey, La.   John Ehret HS
45   Josh Harris   LB   So   5-10   239   Pine Bluff, Ark.   Watson Chapel HS
4   Alexy Jean-Baptiste   LB   Fr   6-2   231   Pompano Beach, Fla.   Coconut Creek HS
19   Giovanni LaFrance   LB   Fr   6-1   255   New Orleans, La.   Saint Augustine HS
31   Grant Morgan   LB   Fr   5-11   220   Greenwood, Ark.   Greenwood HS
53   Tyler Phillips   LB   R-Fr   6-1   232   North Little Rock, Ark.   North Little Rock HS
47   Matt Reynolds   LB   Jr   6-1   211   McKinney, Texas   McKinney HS
33   Dee Walker   LB   Fr   6-2   208   Moultrie, Ga.   Colquitt County HS

3   McTelvin Agim   DL   Fr   6-3   289   Texarkana, Texas   Hope HS (Ark.)
41   Austin Capps   DL   Fr   6-4   309   Star City, Ark.   Star City HS
98   Daytrieon Dean   DL   R-Fr   6-3   281   Fort Smith, Ark.   Northside HS
18   Brandon DePrato   DL   Fr   6-4   218   Cypress, Texas   Cypress HS
7   Briston Guidry   DL   Fr   6-3   294   Metairie, La.   Archbishop Rummel HS
91   Elias Hale   DL   Fr   6-5   217   Fayetteville, Ark.   Fayetteville HS
64   Jake Hall   DL   So   6-5   266   Springdale, Ark.   Har-Ber HS
78   Bijhon Jackson   DL   Jr   6-2   335   El Dorado, Ark.   El Dorado HS
42   Jonathan Marshall   DL   Fr   6-4   299   Shepherd, Texas   Shepherd HS
10   Randy Ramsey   DL   So   6-4   228   Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.   Dillard HS
96   Karl Roesler   DL   Jr   6-1   256   Louisville, Ky.   Saint Xavier HS
52   T.J. Smith   DL   R-Fr   6-3   285   Moultrie, Ga.   Colquitt County HS
91   Michael Taylor II   DL   So   6-3   245   Orlando, Fla.   The First Academy
86   Armon Watts   DL   So   6-5   293   St. Louis, Mo.   Christian Brothers College HS
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

You Guys have listed 25 here and we'll need at least 15 to 18 to end up good enough to play and help, not hinder.  Maybe some incoming can play a bit too.  Watching this defense take shape should be fun.  I really believe we will see the coaches working extra hard this upcoming season starting now, busting butt in the Spring and Fall and going into the season looking like a team. I want to believe the players will all have the correct attitude instilled in them right now and worked on from now to seasons start and then continued right through to seasons end.  If we have the necessary leadership, this could be a 9 win team including the bowl game.  BB done gonna get himself a sweetheart deal if this should happen.  Man will never see another poor day, won't have to move, can keep his Kid on one school system, can letter slide 4 out of 5 years and never have to worry about a job.  Its all good.

FANONTHEHILL

I don't guess on wins and losses because there are just too many factors, but I will tell you with confidence that the young men listed above want to play for Paul Rhoads and learn from him. 

TheEnemy

Quote from: swinesation on January 29, 2017, 12:04:28 am
Gonna need more than 3!

Should shape up like this...not counting incoming freshmen or transfers

Rush LB:

--Randy Ramsey

--Michael Taylor

--Karl Roesler

--Brandon Deprato

--Elias Hale

Inside LB

--De'Jon Harris

--Josh Harris

--Giovanni Lafrance

Outside LB

--Dre Greenlaw

--Dee Walker

--Grant Morgan

--Ben Brausell

Could play Inside or Outside Linebacker:

--Dwayne Eugene

--Alexy Jean-Baptiste

--Tyler Phillips

tophawg19

i think Lafrance and De'jon Harris move to outside LB along with our lighter DE's . the rest stay inside my convern is the number 3 and 4 NG . Watts may be able to add more weight but thayt is a position that takes a constant beating
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jgphillips3

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 29, 2017, 06:51:47 pm
i think Lafrance and De'jon Harris move to outside LB along with our lighter DE's . the rest stay inside my convern is the number 3 and 4 NG . Watts may be able to add more weight but thayt is a position that takes a constant beating

LaFrance jumps out at me immediately as the perfect size for a 3-4 OLB. 

hawginbigd1

Nah Scoota is going to be the man at Mike. Book it.

TheEnemy

I see the 3 down linemen setting up like this:

DT:

--Jackson - predominately traditional 2 gap tackle

DE:

--Daytrieon Dean

--Jonathan Marshall

--Arman Watts

--TJ Smith

Hybrid DL:

--Sosa Agim---DE mostly but could slide in to DT as a 1 gap DT as needed

--Austin Capps---Could play 2 gap or 1 gap DT and DE as needed

--Briston Guidry---Could play 1 gap DT and DE as needed

Plus, add Melvin Johnson into the mix

hawginbigd1

I think Marshall, Agim, and Guidry are going to play all 3 positions.

FANONTHEHILL

Also in regard to Michael, he was huge in getting David Porter to commit.  They know each other from JUCO in California and are close.  Michael is a great kid and going to be a good one.

factchecker

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 29, 2017, 10:30:22 pm
Also in regard to Michael, he was huge in getting David Porter to commit.  They know each other from JUCO in California and are close.  Michael is a great kid and going to be a good one.

You are mixed up.

Porter is from Arkansas.  Joe T. Robinson to be specific.

Melvin Johnson is from Riverside JUCO.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

onebadrubi

Harris is our dominate ILB.  He will stay there

FANONTHEHILL

January 30, 2017, 05:03:54 am #21 Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 05:41:12 am by FANONTHEHILL
Quote from: factchecker on January 29, 2017, 10:56:14 pm
You are mixed up.

Porter is from Arkansas.  Joe T. Robinson to be specific.

Melvin Johnson is from Riverside JUCO.
You're right, had my names flipped.  My son called me this weekend and told me that he was getting another roommate this summer and Mike had a teammate at JUCO that played DE that had been going to Colorado. Porter was leaning to Colorado State and Johnson to Colorado.  Too many names flying around this time of year for me to keep up with.  Glad we've got a "Factchecker" around to keep it straight. Thanks

bulldog04

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 29, 2017, 11:12:05 pm
Harris is our dominate ILB.  He will stay there
Yeah you keep Harris and Lafrance in the middle.  You need some thumpers at that position

factchecker

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 30, 2017, 05:03:54 am
You're right, had my names flipped.  My son called me this weekend and told me that he was getting another roommate this summer and Mike had a teammate at JUCO that played DE that had been going to Colorado. Porter was leaning to Colorado State and Johnson to Colorado.  Too many names flying around this time of year for me to keep up with.  Glad we've got a "Factchecker" around to keep it straight. Thanks

I agree.  I have to double check to make sure I've got my info right.  Thanks for the insight.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

nwahogfan1

Just give me a big NG who can take care of the A gap and then give me athletes at DT's and LB's who can stunt and come from all directions to give the QB too many things to think about.

But to do all of this stunting you have to cover your gap and get off blocks.  We must be disciplined when we bring all of these different stunts because if not a gap will be exposed to a possible big play.  This will be the Big Key.  Discipline to Coaching.

Tusks

What ever happened to Melvin Johnson?  I know he didn't qualify but is he out of all schools and done with football?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

longpig

Quote from: tusked on September 06, 2017, 07:15:10 pm
What ever happened to Melvin Johnson?  I know he didn't qualify but is he out of all schools and done with football?

Maybe next Fall was the word last July, a very doubtful maybe.
Don't be scared, be smart.

FANONTHEHILL

Michael is eligible and on the roster. (and also my son's roommate).  When they moved him back to DE at the end of spring from the OLB spot, he went down in the defensive depth chart.  He's not under performing.  He's doing very well. Saw lots of special teams play against FAMU.  He's a pure pass rusher and will get his opportunities this fall I'm certain.  No word yet on the extra year. 

srange98

I remember following his signing saga in the crootin forum.  By measurables, it sure seemed like he was bound to be a stud and a perfect 3-4 OLB.  Hopefully that turns out to be the case.

longpig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on September 06, 2017, 08:51:12 pm
Michael is eligible and on the roster. (and also my son's roommate).  When they moved him back to DE at the end of spring from the OLB spot, he went down in the defensive depth chart.  He's not under performing.  He's doing very well. Saw lots of special teams play against FAMU.  He's a pure pass rusher and will get his opportunities this fall I'm certain.  No word yet on the extra year.

I'm off by one year, apparently.
Don't be scared, be smart.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on September 08, 2017, 11:38:24 am
It was reported in the spring that they were appealing to the NCAA for another year of eligibility because of paperwork issues last year. I figured we would have had word on something by now. Official roster list his as a Junior, so does this mean that the appeal was declined? And if so, would it just not be announced?
I'll ask him after the game tomorrow.