Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Catfish hole

Started by snoop hawgy hawg, January 17, 2017, 04:03:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Bottoms Up on BBQ night is hard to beat...doesnt matter if you like it dry or saucy - Bottoms Up will make you happy
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

HogimusMaximus

Quote from: Hog-Corleone on January 20, 2017, 04:23:47 pm
I am not a fan either, fish normally over-cooked, and the corn meal is on way too thick. 

This is for Delta Boy, there are 50 places between Desha County and the Catfish Hole that have better fish and puppies, stop at one of them and eat there and save the gas money.

I don't know about 50, but I have no idea why people love the catfish hole so much.  I can make a better catter and catch them myself.  Its all in the quality of fish and fresh is better than farm everyday, too legit.

Shrevepork

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 19, 2017, 06:18:03 pm
Little Rock is a soulless BBQ desert.

Any talk of Arkansas BBQ that doesn't include the melt in your mouth meat from McClards in Hot Springs is a sin.

LZH

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 21, 2017, 05:49:30 am
Any talk of Arkansas BBQ that doesn't include the melt in your mouth meat from McClards in Hot Springs is a sin.

Just last night my daughter asked me about spending her birthday weekend next month in Hot Springs and would there be anything to do other than the horse races. I told her there was plenty to do and some great places to eat, and told her she absolutely had to go to McClard's because she doesn't remember going there when she was little. Funny that you would mention that this morning.

southeasthog

Quote from: HogimusMaximus on January 21, 2017, 02:50:05 am
I don't know about 50, but I have no idea why people love the catfish hole so much.  I can make a better catter and catch them myself.  Its all in the quality of fish and fresh is better than farm everyday, too legit.
We ate there once just to see about it. It was OK I guess. I very seldom go to fish places to eat. I can catch more crappie than me and my wife will eat and I prefer not to pay what most catfish places charge to eat there.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: twistitup on January 20, 2017, 07:05:33 pm
Bottoms Up on BBQ night is hard to beat...doesnt matter if you like it dry or saucy - Bottoms Up will make you happy

The problem is you don't know what's in their sauce............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Philibuster

Quote from: jusgtohogs on January 17, 2017, 10:33:39 am
while I really like the catfish and slaw, sugar in hushpuppies (for this South AR boy, anyway) is just wrong.  that said, hard for me to believe that a visit to Catfish Hole "...seals the deal..." for recruits
We've been there once, and though the fish was great I wasn't a fan of the sweet hushpuppies.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 20, 2017, 04:33:11 pm
I know you must be joking.  Lindsey's (in NLR) and Sim's (in LR) are both old school and excellent.  Not to mention Whole Hog which is also great but in a different way.

Been gone so long the names escape me, but just off I-40 in NLR, what is the name of the BBQ joint, a mainstay.. it was good and the new start up Dixie Pig BBQ was there as well...

But growing up in SEA, every gas station had good BBQ..

I think the CH should get a smoker and serve BBQ if they don't already (don't know, it wasn't there during my 11 years in college).. Ribs, how many country boys don't like ribs...

outlawhogeywells

Recruits get catfish, ribs, shrimp, chicken, great looking desserts. The ch is not just for the recruits it is for the families. It is a chance to show them the rabid fans. The recruits and their families really seem to love the atmosphere. You should the looks on their faces when they come walking in. Let's face it for and hour and a half or so there is non stop hawgamania

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Terryproy on January 19, 2017, 11:00:43 pm
It's one of the reasons I'm glad Devwah chose Arkansas, those hush puppies are worth driving from Texas to get, WooDamnPig  :razorback: :razorback:
Whatever it takes just glad to have him and uncle Terry on our team ;D

factchecker

Quote from: Terryproy on January 19, 2017, 11:00:43 pm
It's one of the reasons I'm glad Devwah chose Arkansas, those hush puppies are worth driving from Texas to get, WooDamnPig  :razorback: :razorback:

All the opinions in this thread and this is the only one that matters.  I'll trust the uncle of Devwah Whaley..... someone who was on an actual recruit visit more than random Hogville posters.

Thanks for posting Terry.  We are glad to have Devwah as a Razorback.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 21, 2017, 05:49:30 am

Mcclards is the most popular name but it's not he best BBQ in hot springs. Not even close. For my money, Smokin in Style is where it's at. But there are a couple of others that are better than Mcclards. Best thing therenis the tamale plate and it's not even BBQ!

Steef

Quote from: PorkRinds on January 22, 2017, 03:00:50 pm

Mcclards is the most popular name but it's not he best BBQ in hot springs. Not even close. For my money, Smokin in Style is where it's at. But there are a couple of others that are better than Mcclards. Best thing therenis the tamale plate and it's not even BBQ!

I lived in HS for a few years. At that time, McClards was the ONLY game in town. And yes, their tamales are amazing

I miss Shipleys doughnuts. There's nothing in North Carolina even close.

lumphog

DELTA BBQ......that is all

Bacons Rebellion

Best catfish I've had is what we used to catch downstream from the AP&L plant. A special taste. And big, too.

(notOM)Rebel123

Now, if you really want to impress the recruits.....
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

twistitup

One side of CH should serve beer - wet side / dry side....to keep everyone happy. When eating fried catfish raw onion and beer are almost mandatory.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Ramboar

Ask Corliss Williamson where the best catfish in Arkansas is. I've personally heard him say Catfish Inn in Dardanelle. Case closed The Big Nasty wins.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Boog41

Quote from: Ramboar on January 22, 2017, 07:04:25 pm
Ask Corliss Williamson where the best catfish in Arkansas is. I've personally heard him say Catfish Inn in Dardanelle. Case closed The Big Nasty wins.

Is that the place on the river, just below the dam?

Oklahawg

Quote from: factchecker on January 22, 2017, 02:40:17 pm
All the opinions in this thread and this is the only one that matters.  I'll trust the uncle of Devwah Whaley..... someone who was on an actual recruit visit more than random Hogville posters.

Thanks for posting Terry.  We are glad to have Devwah as a Razorback.

Cosign.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on January 22, 2017, 02:15:46 pm
Recruits get catfish, ribs, shrimp, chicken, great looking desserts. The ch is not just for the recruits it is for the families. It is a chance to show them the rabid fans. The recruits and their families really seem to love the atmosphere. You should the looks on their faces when they come walking in. Let's face it for and hour and a half or so there is non stop hawgamania

This needs to be cut/paste annually when the Catfish Hole gets brought up. It isn't about elite-level food (though some will argue it is very, very good). It is about the RECRUITS!!!!!!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Ramboar

Quote from: Boog41 on January 22, 2017, 07:29:10 pm
Is that the place on the river, just below the dam?
Yep. I like Brown's in Russellville more myself.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 22, 2017, 07:42:16 pm
This needs to be cut/paste annually when the Catfish Hole gets brought up. It isn't about elite-level food (though some will argue it is very, very good). It is about the RECRUITS!!!!!!

Not sure anyone is claiming the recruits don't like it. Evidently they do or the staff wouldn't continue to go there. Early on in the thread, acomment was made about it being "the best catfish anywhere". To which many, including myself, began mentioning many other restaurants that were equal to, or better, than the CH. Again, nobody's discounting what Pat & staff do for the program.
If it helps with recruiting, carry on!

Oklahawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 22, 2017, 07:53:06 pm
Not sure anyone is claiming the recruits don't like it. Evidently they do or the staff wouldn't continue to go there. Early on in the thread, acomment was made about it being "the best catfish anywhere". To which many, including myself, began mentioning many other restaurants that were equal to, or better, than the CH. Again, nobody's discounting what Pat & staff do for the program.
If it helps with recruiting, carry on!

We all know what is a "quality meal" for an 18-year old and for one of us would be totally different things!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 22, 2017, 08:34:30 pm
We all know what is a "quality meal" for an 18-year old and for one of us would be totally different things!

Ha. Very true.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 22, 2017, 09:29:47 am
Been gone so long the names escape me, but just off I-40 in NLR, what is the name of the BBQ joint, a mainstay.. it was good and the new start up Dixie Pig BBQ was there as well

White Pig Inn maybe?
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on January 19, 2017, 06:18:03 pm
Little Rock is a soulless BBQ desert.

Have to leave Little Rock and have to leave NWA to get good BBQ in Arkansas.

Hog Pen BBQ in Conway and Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark are very good.

I really like the BBQ Ham at Stubby's BBQ in Hot Springs.  It is getting difficult to find smoked ham at BBQ restaurants.

The Brisket at Pink Flamingo BBQ in Fort Smith is good.

For those who travel, a very very underrated state for BBQ is Oklahoma.  To me after Kansas City, Oklahoma may have the 2nd best BBQ in the nation.  They know how to do BBQ in Oklahoma.

Here is the best BBQ I have had in Oklahoma.

Van's Pig Stands    Shawnee   The original location on Highland Street   Since 1935

https://roadfood.com/restaurants/vans-pig-stand/      Good pictures, will have scroll down to view some of the pictures.

Runt's Bar-B-Q    Muskogee

https://www.yelp.com/biz/runts-bar-b-q-and-grill-muskogee      Will have scroll down to view Reviews.

Fish's Bar-B-Que    Tahlequah     Difficult to find, it is in a former car service garage.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g106178-d2290490-Reviews-Fish_s_Bar_B_Que-Tahlequah_Oklahoma.html

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fishs-bar-b-que-tahlequah

snoblind

GoHogs1091, can't believe you would do eastern Oklahoma BBQ without mentioning Wild Horse in Sallisaw.  Not as great as I remember back in the 80's, but still pretty good. 

The story, which I have know idea if it's true, is that when the old man who used to run it back then got divorced and the ex-wife got the restaurant.  He had to give up the place, but refused to give her the sauce and other recipes.  The sons run it now.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: snoblind on January 22, 2017, 09:47:49 pm
GoHogs1091, can't believe you would do eastern Oklahoma BBQ without mentioning Wild Horse in Sallisaw.  Not as great as I remember back in the 80's, but still pretty good. 

The story, which I have know idea if it's true, is that when the old man who used to run it back then got divorced and the ex-wife got the restaurant.  He had to give up the place, but refused to give her the sauce and other recipes.  The sons run it now.

Truthfully, I have never tried Wild Horse in Sallisaw.

My Sister's Husband grew up not far from Sallisaw, and he told me that the late Father who ran Wild Horse would stand there with a lit cigarette in his mouth at the pit tending to the meat, and that ashes from his cigarette would fall onto the meat.

My Sister's Husband also told me that the late Father took the recipes to his grave, and he did not share them to the family.

It is a legendary place.  I have read that the Military would land their helicopters nearby in a field so that they could get a take-out of a pound(s) of meat.  It also seems like several years ago that I read that Lyndon Baines Johnson landed in a helicopter nearby so that he could get a take-out.

Mitch C

Are Catfish Hole and Corn Hole related terms?

LZH

Brent Venables doesn't BBQ?

MrKnowItAll

Quote from: LZH on January 23, 2017, 06:53:43 am
Brent Venables doesn't BBQ?

No, he prefers wine and cheese.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on January 22, 2017, 08:51:11 pm
White Pig Inn maybe?

nope.. looking at google map.. it's closed.. close to mary's liquor in Levy.....was open for many, many years and always enjoyed...but can't remember the name..

Hogaholism

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 23, 2017, 10:30:37 am
nope.. looking at google map.. it's closed.. close to mary's liquor in Levy.....was open for many, many years and always enjoyed...but can't remember the name..

The Shack

cityhog

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 17, 2017, 04:46:46 am
You would think it's the only place to eat in Fayetteville.

Fayetteville is bereft of quality cuisine unless you want BBQ - or BBQ - or Thai.

PorkRinds

Quote from: cityhog on January 23, 2017, 10:57:43 am
Fayetteville is bereft of quality cuisine unless you want BBQ - or BBQ - or Thai.

Well that's not true at all.

snoblind

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 22, 2017, 10:10:05 pm
Truthfully, I have never tried Wild Horse in Sallisaw.

My Sister's Husband grew up not far from Sallisaw, and he told me that the late Father who ran Wild Horse would stand there with a lit cigarette in his mouth at the pit tending to the meat, and that ashes from his cigarette would fall onto the meat.

My Sister's Husband also told me that the late Father took the recipes to his grave, and he did not share them to the family.

It is a legendary place.  I have read that the Military would land their helicopters nearby in a field so that they could get a take-out of a pound(s) of meat.  It also seems like several years ago that I read that Lyndon Baines Johnson landed in a helicopter nearby so that he could get a take-out.

I remember those stories.  He was also known for not keeping regular hours or menu.  He'd open or close when he felt like it, maybe that was the meat was ready or he ran out.  And I think he would smoke whatever he felt like or maybe got the best deal on that day/week.  Some of the best ribs I've ever had came from there.

LZH

What's that fish place on Rogers at the Colonnade or whatever that is we always stop by there on the way back to the airport. That place is excellent.

Sow Lancelot

"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: cityhog on January 23, 2017, 10:57:43 am
Yeah that's not accurate, at all.

cityhog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 23, 2017, 01:30:44 pm
Yeah that's not accurate, at all.

It is accurate. I refuse to pay Antoine's prices for ingredients purchased at Sam's Club. There is not a single decent Mexican, Indian or Italian restaurant in town not to mention Cajun or German. You can get a great gut buster meal a lot of places in Fayetteville, but there is not a single place (and yes I've done Bordinos and Theo's and Emelia's and, and and and....) that has inspired me to revisit. It is sad that the chains north of town offer better food and value than 'the 3rd best place to live in America'.

Boog41

Quote from: cityhog on January 23, 2017, 01:42:36 pm
It is accurate. I refuse to pay Antoine's prices for ingredients purchased at Sam's Club. There is not a single decent Mexican, Indian or Italian restaurant in town not to mention Cajun or German. You can get a great gut buster meal a lot of places in Fayetteville, but there is not a single place (and yes I've done Bordinos and Theo's and Emelia's and, and and and....) that has inspired me to revisit. It is sad that the chains north of town offer better food and value than 'the 3rd best place to live in America'.

Vetro 1925 is good, authentic Italian. It is as good as any I've had in NYC. Angelo, the owner, is from the Amalfi coast in Italy.

AirWarren

This.

jvanhorn

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on January 22, 2017, 09:13:40 pm
Have to leave Little Rock and have to leave NWA to get good BBQ in Arkansas.

Hog Pen BBQ in Conway and Rivertowne BBQ in Ozark are very good.

I really like the BBQ Ham at Stubby's BBQ in Hot Springs.  It is getting difficult to find smoked ham at BBQ restaurants.

The Brisket at Pink Flamingo BBQ in Fort Smith is good.

For those who travel, a very very underrated state for BBQ is Oklahoma.  To me after Kansas City, Oklahoma may have the 2nd best BBQ in the nation.  They know how to do BBQ in Oklahoma.

Here is the best BBQ I have had in Oklahoma.

Van's Pig Stands    Shawnee   The original location on Highland Street   Since 1935

https://roadfood.com/restaurants/vans-pig-stand/      Good pictures, will have scroll down to view some of the pictures.

Runt's Bar-B-Q    Muskogee

https://www.yelp.com/biz/runts-bar-b-q-and-grill-muskogee      Will have scroll down to view Reviews.

Fish's Bar-B-Que    Tahlequah     Difficult to find, it is in a former car service garage.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g106178-d2290490-Reviews-Fish_s_Bar_B_Que-Tahlequah_Oklahoma.html

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fishs-bar-b-que-tahlequah

You should include:P\

DINK'S BBQUE--BARTLESVILLE,OK.  THEY ALSO HAVE ONE OTHER LOCATION IN BENTONVILLE, AR!

HEAD COUNTRY BBQUE--PONCA CITY, OK.

jvanhorn

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on January 23, 2017, 01:29:34 pm
That is all!

ALL GOOD BUT THEY LEFT OUT:

DANNY EDWARD BBQUE--KANSAS CITY

GATES BBQUE--KANSAS CITY

RENDZVOUS BBQ--MEMPHIS

CENTRAL BBQUE--MEMPHIS 

CORKY'S BBQUE--MEMEPHIS

MEMPHIS BBQUE CO.  SOUTHAVEN, MS.

I DO AGREE THAT A&R  IN MEMPHIS AND ARTHUR BRYANT IN KANSAS CITY DESERVE THEIR PLACE ON THE LIST.

jvanhorn

Quote from: lumphog on January 22, 2017, 03:35:38 pm
DELTA BBQ......that is all

BUBBA'S IN EUREKA SPRINGS is pretty darn good  as is CRAIG'S  in Duvall Bluff

BroyledNutts

Quote from: LZH on January 23, 2017, 12:00:10 pm
What's that fish place on Rogers at the Colonnade or whatever that is we always stop by there on the way back to the airport. That place is excellent.

You referring to Fish City Grill, Bonefish, or Crabby's? Fish City was located within Promenade Shopping area, but they've moved Northeast to a better locale behind the Promenade ... Bonefish and Crabby's are across 540 in the Village Creek area ...

LZH

Quote from: BroyledNutts on January 23, 2017, 02:35:23 pm
You referring to Fish City Grill, Bonefish, or Crabby's? Fish City was located within Promenade Shopping area, but they've moved Northeast to a better locale behind the Promenade ... Bonefish and Crabby's are across 540 in the Village Creek area ...

Fish City. That's it. Didn't know they had moved. They used to have some couches out front that we would have to go stretch out on before walking to the car. Didn't go this past September so I guess that is why I didn't know they had moved.

Iirc, their slaw sucked but the fish was great.....don't remember much about the hushpuppies so maybe they weren't that special.

majestic

El Sol and San Miguel have good Mexican Food. Vetro has great Italian. Indian food isn't my thing, but my daughter likes the place on College in the old Wendy's. Juicy Tails will work if you want Cajun, though it's a freaking mess to eat there. I don't know of any German joints since Peter closed the Dluxe forever ago.
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

Biggus Piggus

Jim 'N Nick's is a mostly southeastern chain of barbecue restaurants, Alabama-style. Loaded with flavor.

Stroud's Barbeque in Franklin, Tenn., is very traditional and better than any barbecue I ever had in Kansas City (lived there five years and tried all the names several times or more).

Jack and Jameson's Smokehouse in Franklin is a new place that was very good on first try + also has an outstanding list of craft beers on tap.

Martin's Bar-B-Que Joint in 12 South, Nashville, is very good and very well-known, which means swamped with people.
[CENSORED]!