Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

News on recruiting the all-important SEC defensive linemen

Started by jbcarol, May 08, 2012, 12:06:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Top DT target Matt Elam stays neutral at Alabama-Kentucky game

QuoteMatt Elam didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings -- or give anything away. So the big defensive tackle from Elizabethtown (Ky.) John Hardin, whose recruitment is expected to be a battle between Alabama and Kentucky, showed up to Saturday's game between the Crimson Tide and Wildcats in Lexington wearing an Alabama shirt and a UK jacket.

"I just wanted to be neutral and not hurt anybody's feelings on that," Elam said...

"With UK, it was the environment up there, how the coaches were, and how they played against the No. 1 team in the nation," he said. "On Bama's side, it was just playing at that elite level in the SEC while on an away game. I looked at the D-line and the schemes they play. I've seen UK play a lot. this time, I mainly focused on Alabama and how I would fit into their program."

The 6-foot-6, 350-pounder, a five-star prospect according to 247Sports, is a priority recruit for both Alabama and Kentucky and plans to visit Alabama for the LSU game. He'll be in South Bend this weekend on an official visit to Notre Dame for the Irish's game against USC.

Photo: Vasha Hunt
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/10/alabama_auburn_getting_strong.html

Arkansas and Texas A&M have long been considered the teams to beat for four-star defensive tackle Josh Frazier of Springdale (Ark.) Har-Ber.

But Frazier (6-3, 308) told Rivals.com this week that Alabama and Auburn are more than just token names on the list of schools he's considering.

"It's pretty even," Frazier told Rivals. "I really like all of them. The reason I like Auburn is because of Coach (Gus) Malzahn. They were the No. 2 team in the country when he coached at Springdale. He is a legend in Arkansas. My head coach was under him. That's the reason I like them.

"Alabama is the No. 1 team in the country. They put guys in NFL. They are going to make sure you work hard. I need to get there to see the new facilities. I always really like that Coach (Nick) Saban said I have a chance for early playing time."

Frazier, who was in College Station for Alabama's game at Texas A&M, was supposed to come to Tuscaloosa this weekend for an official visit, but changed it to December at the request of the Crimson Tide coaching staff.  Alabama has sought to delay some official visits until after the season in order to spend more time with the prospects.

Frazier will take his official to Auburn for the Iron Bowl on Nov. 29.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

6.0-rated Gladewater DT Daylon Mack gave a verbal to A&M.

jbcarol

GoVolsXtra ‏@GoVolsXtra 6h
Junior-college DT Abu Lamin planning to visit Tennessee Vols...

5.8-rated 6'5" 315 at Fort Scott CC.

jbcarol

Shades Valley defensive tackle Daron Payne, a 6-foot-3, 315-pound lineman, is rated by 247Sports as the No. 1 player in the state of Alabama for the 2015 class and the No. 1 defensive tackle prospect in the nation. The elite junior has already received plenty of attention from Alabama and Auburn and plans to take unofficial visits to both schools in the coming weeks.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/11/5-star_defensive_tackle_daron.html

Has offers from the Mississippi schools, So. Carolina, Clemson and more.

Steef

jbcarol

Matt Powell ‏@MattPowell606 5 Nov
Happy UK got the Lyles kid for bball but really hope they land @FballIsLife69 for the best sport.
Retweeted by Matt Elam™6⃣9⃣

Matt Elam is the number two ranked DT in the nation by 24/7.

jbcarol

Auburn still hunting for DTs, may be trying to flip Georgia commit Dontavius Russell

QuoteMike Farrell reported this week that four-star Georgia commitment Dontavius Russell of Carrollton (Ga.) has been paying a lot of attention to the Tigers and could be a flip possibility for the Tigers. The Bulldogs have two other defensive tackles committed in four-star prospects Kendall Baker and Lamont Gaillard...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 6h
What's the latest with #UGA DT target? --> http://bit.ly/18dcn0W

QuoteThe football future of one of the nation's top prospects at defensive tackle is still up in the air.

Tucker High School's Elisha Shaw, who at one point this season was ranked among Georgia's top five overall college football prospects, has been ruled out for the state playoffs due to a neck injury.

The 6-foot-4, 310-pounder has not played at all as a senior after sustaining the injury while going too low to make a tackle in an August scrimmage. Shaw worked hard to return for the playoffs, but his coaches decided against it.

"He won't be playing. He's out for the year," Tucker coach Bryan Lamar told the AJC.

"We just thought we'd give him time to heal. The longer he heals, the better it's going to be. We decided to give him time. We didn't want to take the risk of putting him out there, and having him get re-injured. That would be a setback. It wasn't worth that risk."

Shaw had an early offers (sic)  from Alabama, UGA, Ole Miss, Miami and several high-profile junior colleges, among others...

If and when Elisha Shaw takes official visits, doctors from that particular college will get to examine him and determine his future ability to play.

Shaw has been able to work on academic eligibility while unable to play.

jbcarol

5.9-rated 6-3, 310 '15 Shreveport Woodlawn TD Moton gave a verbal to State.

H/T: https://twitter.com/JTalty

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 7h
JUCO defensive tackle Dalvon Stuckey commits to Auburn http://ow.ly/r2gO2

jbcarol

jbcarol

L.Joshua Frazier ‏@JoshuaFrazier99 3m
Ok I still love my favorite reporter @Allie_Davison but Auburn Is out. 2 down 2 more to go.

jbcarol

L.Joshua Frazier ‏@JoshuaFrazier99 4m
Love the coaching staff and everything at Texas A&M but I'm set on Arky and Bama. So it is down to those Two.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on November 23, 2013, 05:06:10 pm
L.Joshua Frazier ‏@JoshuaFrazier99 3m
Ok I still love my favorite reporter @Allie_Davison but Auburn Is out. 2 down 2 more to go.

Smart kid........ 8)

jbcarol

L.Joshua Frazier ‏@JoshuaFrazier99 2m
Ok Arkansas I'm sorry but I've decided Alabama. I hope u will still support me when I go rep Arkansas in Alabama.

jbcarol

'16 St. Thomas Aquinas DT Ed Alexander gave a verbal to LSU after the A&M win.

jbcarol

5.5-rated 285-lb Butler CC DT Owen Williams has given a verbal to Tennessee. He had been committed to TTech.

jbcarol

Bama's top ranked DT signees (2011-2013)

Jesse Williams      6.0  Arizona Western CC (Seattle Seahawks)
LaMichael Fanning  5.8  Harris Co., GA 

Dalvin Tomlinson   5.8  Henry Co., GA
Korren Kirven       5.8  Lynchburg, VA

A'Shawn Robinson  6.1  Ft. Worth, TX
Darius Paige         5.8   Foley, AL (transfer from Pensacola, FL)

jbcarol

What was four-star Carrollton (Ga.) defensive lineman Dontavius Russell's reaction to Auburn's 34-28 Iron Bowl victory over Alabama?

Russell (6-3, 300) had been committed to Georgia since April but Auburn, still on the hunt for defensive tackles for its 2014 class, had been recruiting him heavily. He had planned to attend the Auburn-Georgia game, but didn't make it and instead ended up on the Plains for another miracle finish on Saturday.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/12/iron_bowl_recruit_reaction_don.html

Russell tweeted that he was reopening his recruitment Sunday evening.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 9m
4-star JUCO defensive tackle Jarran Reed commits to Alabama http://bit.ly/1g6BLdk

jbcarol

Matt Elam™6⃣9⃣ ‏@FballIsLife69 21h
I Am Blessed To Say I Have Won The Paul Hornung Award. It Goes To The Best Overall Player In Kentucky !!!

Brian Eldridge ‏@BriEldridge 23m
Jarran Reed to Bama has to make UK fans feel a little better about Matt Elam. Though Elam isn't afraid of competition and Reed's a JUCO.

jbcarol

Derek Tyson ‏@DerekTysonESPN 2h
Jarran Reed signed with Florida last year but failed to qualify. Now commits to Alabama. Solid pickup for #Bama.

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 1h
Nick Saban's latest stop on the recruiting trail: Kentucky star Matt Elam
http://ow.ly/rBoyZ

Matt Elam™6⃣9⃣ @FballIsLife69
Coach Nick Saban Has Just Left The Building !! 1:04 PM - 9 Dec 2013

jbcarol

Not Jerry Tipton ‏@NotJerryTipton 2h
Brian Kelly visited Matt Elam today. He showed him pictures of the hot chicks who date Notre Dame football players. pic.twitter.com/7tL4TXqqzs

jbcarol

Just Got Done With My In Home Visit With UK Staff And @UKCoachStoops Terrific Visit But Also My Last!! #BBN
7:37 PM - 12 Dec 2013

jbcarol

Undeniable Talent ‏@armonwatts 11 Dec
About to show people how real razorback fans are, let's see if I can get to 2,000 followers by tomorrow #WPS

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@RecruitingAJC 15h
Who knows with Tucker DT Elisha Shaw? Missed season w/neck injury. Still reports #Bama UGA & Ole Miss offers: http://bit.ly/1bLUqYv

jbcarol

"I just felt real comfortable and could see myself fitting in there," said Elam here Tuesday after receiving the Paul Hornung Award from the Louisville Quarterback Club as the state's top player. "All the commits were there and I enjoyed hanging out with them and the coaches. It was good."

But the 6-5, 370-pound defensive tackle from John Hardin says he has not decided whether he will commit to UK, Alabama or Notre Dame when he makes his announcement Jan. 4.

"If there is one thing I would say do better than ever, it's work on your quickness," Hornung said. "You have got pro size. If you continue to work on your quickness, you will be a No. 1 pick in the draft. You have to listen to your elders, friends and family. They will tell you the right things to do. Make your college choice, go where you want to go and know you can have an enjoyable time on the football field and in the classroom."" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener">Vaught's Views: LOUISVILLE — While he insists he does not have a favorite in his three-team recruiting race, John Hardin defensive tackle Matt Elam says he is "very high" on Kentucky after taking his official visit last weekend to UK.

"I just felt real comfortable and could see myself fitting in there," said Elam here Tuesday after receiving the Paul Hornung Award from the Louisville Quarterback Club as the state's top player. "All the commits were there and I enjoyed hanging out with them and the coaches. It was good."

But the 6-5, 370-pound defensive tackle from John Hardin says he has not decided whether he will commit to UK, Alabama or Notre Dame when he makes his announcement Jan. 4.

"If there is one thing I would say do better than ever, it's work on your quickness," Hornung said. "You have got pro size. If you continue to work on your quickness, you will be a No. 1 pick in the draft. You have to listen to your elders, friends and family. They will tell you the right things to do. Make your college choice, go where you want to go and know you can have an enjoyable time on the football field and in the classroom."

Hornung won the Heisman Trophy while playing on a team with a losing record at Notre Dame.

jbcarol

John Talty ‏@JTalty 58m
Former Alabama DT D.J. Pettway signs back with Alabama http://on.thec-l.com/JIqz9o

John Talty ‏@JTalty 1h
As expected, East Mississippi DL D.J. Pettway has signed with Alabama. He was kicked off the team in Feb. for 2nd degree robbery charges.

jbcarol

Coach Mark Stoops announced the signing Wednesday of two players who he hopes will provide an immediate boost to the UK defense in 2014.Defensive tackle Cory Johnson and cornerback A.J. Stamps — both junior-college players — signed with UK on Wednesday morning and plan to enroll in school next month.

http://www.kentucky.com/2013/12/18/2994586/junior-college-db-stamps-signs.html

jbcarol

AL.com sports ‏@aldotcomSports 9h
5-star defensive tackle Matt Elam will choose between Kentucky, Alabama http://ow.ly/rWnH4

Cut Notre Dame from his list. Apparently was not impressed with this:

Notre Dame is sending out "Pot of Gold" recruiting letters reminding everyone of the 477 Irish players who have been drafted to the NFL.

The last Kentucky high school player of the year to go to Notre Dame was Franklin Jacobs who was never heard from again.

Paul Hornung had a better run.

jbcarol

'14 5.7-rated 6-3, 257 Covington, LA DT Garrald McDowell gave a verbal to Ole Miss.

jbcarol

Kenyan Drake™ ‏@KDx17 57m
Alotta future millionaires under one roof

Elam is the DT being recruiting by Bama and Kentucky. Drake is referring to Bama players prepping for the Sugar Bowl.

jbcarol

Defensive tackle Dontavius Russell, a four-star prospect, tweeted Friday he had recently committed to Auburn. The Carrollton, Georgia native was committed to Georgia for most of the year

247 Composite ranks Russell the 11th best DT in our nation from the current class.

Dontavius Russell @Russ_Dont98
If you really know me you would know that I  will continue playing football at the University of........................AUBURN!!!! #WDE 🐯
5:47 PM - 27 Dec 2013

jbcarol

Keith Niebuhr ‏@Niebuhr247 3h
Massive 2016 DT Julian Rochester of McEachern (Ga.) was offered by #TAMU #Aggies yesterday...

jbcarol

A star is torn:

Letting Everyone Know Right Now I Matt Elam.. Will Be Deciding My College Decision On Signing Day Sorry For The Inconvenience #Bama #BBN
9:36 AM - 4 Jan 2014

Was expected to announce on TV during the all-star game. Has time to make a visit to Bama.

jbcarol

Matt Elam™6⃣9⃣ ‏@FballIsLife69 2h
Me Not Committing Saturday Did Not Hurt UK Chances At All Just Didnt Feel Comfortable Doing It There It Was Set Up Weird !! #BBN

Matt Elam™6⃣9⃣ ‏@FballIsLife69 2h
Did Not Like How The @ArmyAllAmerican Was Sett Up, Or The Week But I Appreciate Everything Yall Do For Athletes Very Prestigious Honor !!

jbcarol

Ryan Bass ‏@Ry_Bass 4 Jan
Just got off the phone with three-star DT Jamiyus Pittman, who just flipped from Ole Miss to #UCF...

John Talty ‏@JTalty 4 Jan
Pittman, as you know by now, was offered a gray shirt by Ole Miss after he was committed.

navyhog24

Quote from: jbcarol on January 06, 2014, 02:51:09 pm
Ryan Bass ‏@Ry_Bass 4 Jan
Just got off the phone with three-star DT Jamiyus Pittman, who just flipped from Ole Miss to #UCF...

John Talty ‏@JTalty 4 Jan
Pittman, as you know by now, was offered a gray shirt by Ole Miss after he was committed.

Lol. Ole Miss already trying the Saban and Bama strategy

jbcarol

Ryan Callahan ‏@RyanCallahan247 50m
Four-star 2015 Ga. DT Jonathan Ledbetter (@LedbetterDE15) says he picked up offers from Florida and Arkansas today.

jbcarol

Shea Dixon ‏@Sheadixon 25m
New #LSU 2015 commit Hanner Shipley is a 6-5, 260-pounder out of Marble Falls, Texas.

jbcarol

Jozie_Milton73 ‏@JozieMilton 2h
Just got my first SEC offer from arkansas! Feeling blessed!  #wps #hogs #sec

jbcarol

John Talty ‏@JTalty 1h
Was always going to be tough to hold onto him RT @derektysonespn: 2015 DT T.D. Moton just text me that he has decommitted from #MissSt.

John Talty ‏@JTalty 1h
I still expect MSU to be heavily involved with T.D. Moton, but it'll have to beat out schools like LSU and Bama.

TD Moton ‏@tdmoton_ 1h
I have decommited from MSU .. I have to evaluate my options ..

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BFeldmanCBS 3h
Rough start to Petrino Era. RT @BrandonHuffman Per his coach, four-star Hilton Head (SC) DT Poona Ford has decommitted from #Louisville