Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC is......

Started by code red, January 24, 2015, 08:14:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

code red

not good.  Only 1 team is legit tourney team.  The rest including the Hogs are incomplete.  Smite away.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

davril98

Yawn. Half the field of 64 are incomplete teams.

Also, Ridiculous  how people care about smites.

lefty08

Quote from: davril98 on January 24, 2015, 08:22:30 pm
Yawn. Half the field of 64 are incomplete teams.

Also, Ridiculous  how people care about smites.

Shhhhhhhhh don't feed the attention seeking trolls
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

forrest city joe

Quote from: code red on January 24, 2015, 08:14:31 pm
not good.  Only 1 team is legit tourney team.  The rest including the Hogs are incomplete.  Smite away.
Ban this troll.

nextlevel

By that logic only Kentucky and UVA appear to be legit right now.

Everyone else has shown signs of being an incomplete team.
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Atlhogfan1

You must be watching that epic Bama-AU game that is 25-23 at the half where they have 17 made FGs and 15 turnovers so far. 

The conference did a better job manipulating the numbers and it is showing.  RPI's are better this season.  4-6 teams will have a real chance. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RedBird5

Nice OP.  It was really worth your time to post.  Great addition to my day as well.  Total brilliance

3kgthog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2015, 08:29:56 pm
You must be watching that epic Bama-AU game that is 25-23 at the half where they have 17 made FGs and 15 turnovers so far. 

The conference did a better job manipulating the numbers and it is showing.  RPI's are better this season.  4-6 teams will have a real chance. 

25 might be almost as many as we score at UK, so don't laugh.

davril98

Really? You honestly think our point total will be 25 at KY?

latrops

I count six teams in contention for an NCAAT berth.  I'm thinking the SEC might get at least four in this year.

Dirty

You know nothing!

Danny J

Quote from: latrops on January 24, 2015, 08:41:04 pm
I count six teams in contention for an NCAAT berth.  I'm thinking the SEC might get at least four in this year.
Right now I think 6 is about right. Only problem is that nobody is likely to beat UK, a lot of teams will beat Mizzou and MSU and the rest will beat up on each other.

Slater

Stay off my lawn
Things were better in the old days
That darned three point line
Kids nowadays have no work ethic
Too many games on tv
Why dunk when you can shoot a layup
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

HouseOfHam

The SEC has 6 top 50 RPI teams with Alabama right there (51).

Atlhogfan1

ESPN has 7 with Bama at 50.  OM is 52.

Based on their numbers, the Hogs and UGa are in great shape.

UGA RPI 24, SOS 20, 7-5 vs the top 100, only 1 +300 win, 4 road wins

LSU SOS 118

OM SOS 16 

These aren't the exact numbers the committee will use. 

Bama can't afford to lose a game like this.  Both the Hogs and Bama struggling today after the quick turnaround from the OT game. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

I believe the opposite. The SEC is solid throughout.

alaback

Interesting that Ole Miss is 6-4 at home and 6-3 on the road. What's up with that?

Kevin

Still think the league needs a couple of teams to get o 12 wins. A bunch of 10-8 teams will be bad for tournament bids
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Home court isn't as dominant in the SEC this season as recent seasons. 

Cresthog

I read this post and farted.

Anyone else?

Cresthog

We're not Mizzou, we don't hang banners for making the dance.

Yes they do that. Saw it today.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Cresthog on January 24, 2015, 10:40:38 pm
We're not Mizzou, we don't hang banners for making the dance.

Yes they do that. Saw it today.

So our expectations are higher than just making the tournament? 

kuhog

The SEC is a very, very average league. I would be extremely surprised if more than four teams make the NCAA tournament. 

code red

I think yestetdays performances by the 3-2 pack of the SEC points out many weaknesses in the league.  Tennessee for example getting handled by A&M.  Those rpis are going to drop with "parity".  No way the SEC gets 6.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

HOGINTENNESSEE

This is not true. The SEC is actually good the first time in years. They proved it in the non conference.

code red

Just like to see those numbers if you can produce them hogntennessee?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: code red on January 25, 2015, 07:33:11 am
Just like to see those numbers if you can produce them hogntennessee?

LSU win at West Virginia

UGA win at Kansas State and win vs Seton Hall

UT vs Butler

Bama leading Witch State until the last min of the game on the road.

7 teams currently in the top 50 RPI. With UT just outside the top 50.

Dirty

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 25, 2015, 07:42:07 am
LSU win at West Virginia

UT vs Butler

Facts!  Now he will spin it!

lefty08

The fact that road teams were 5-2 in the SEC yesterday speaks to the improvement of the league
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

code red

latrops

Quote from: Kevin on January 24, 2015, 10:13:47 pm
Still think the league needs a couple of teams to get o 12 wins. A bunch of 10-8 teams will be bad for tournament bids

I imagine there will be some with 12, some with 11, and some with 10.  Not so much because the 12 win teams are better than the 10 win teams, but just catching a break with the schedule or catching a team on an off night.  There probably isn't much difference in about 6 teams, but they aren't all going to wind up with the same record.

k.c.hawg

On March 15th, 2015 the Selection Committee will seed and announce a field of 68 teams for the 2015 Men's NCAA Tournament. I'm assuming that according to your criteria we should seed and announce what, a legit 8 team field and play the Elite 8 on Thursday, Friday then play it down to the Final 2 on the weekend.....have the Championship game the following Saturday?
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

pccmizuno24

Yeah but the incomplete hogs beat the crap out of a 16-3 number 22nd Dayton team! So tired of these crappy conference getting teams in because they play such crappy competition! I think the sec is better than the get credit for!

porkinsons disease

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2015, 10:42:09 pm
So our expectations are higher than just making the tournament? 
^^^this. Maybe we want to hang banners for making the tournament, but it just hasn't happened yet.
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

raz1965

Kentucky is the number one team in the nation and they have had to play hard to win in the SEC, SC gave them a tough game Saturday, then there was A&M and Ole Miss. This conference is getting better for sure, Arkansas much improved over past years but so did the others, that's the reason they have rpi and to that point Arkansas is top 20 as of now.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: code red on January 25, 2015, 08:03:45 am
Or average

USCe has beat Iowa State and Ok State. Now they are 1-5 in Conference. Because the SEC is a good conference.

26.2Hog

Right on. The SEC is certainly a lot better league than many were thinking 4-5 weeks ago.

And I agree, the RPI numbers you referenced prove it.

Here they are:

2 - Kentucky
21 - Arkansas
24 - Georgia
33 - aTm
37 - LSU
48 - Ole Miss
49 - Bama
56 - Tennessee

If these numbers hold, and I think they will, the SEC should get 5 teams in the tourney.

intelligence

Quote from: 26.2Hog on January 25, 2015, 09:54:42 am
Right on. The SEC is certainly a lot better league than many were thinking 4-5 weeks ago.

And I agree, the RPI numbers you referenced prove it.

Here they are:

2 - Kentucky
21 - Arkansas
24 - Georgia
33 - aTm
37 - LSU
48 - Ole Miss
49 - Bama
56 - Tennessee

If these numbers hold, and I think they will, the SEC should get 5 teams in the tourney.
if we avenge our losses to ten and om, then beat aTm and lsu we will be sitting pretty going into the SECT

HSVhogfan2

Calapari kept preaching last year that the SEC was underrated.
All the experts scoffed. Then the SEC put 3 teams in the sweet 16.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

HiggiePiggy

The sec overall is an inconsistent league.   There is Kentucky and then there are a bunch of teams that can beat a good team and then lose to a crap team.  That is the sec.   

Some of you mention South Carolina beating Oklahoma state and Iowa state, but you don't mention the loss to charolette and Akron at home.   

That is the sec.   We have many teams that play good and also play terrible.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

popcornhog

The SEC is weak.

But it's better than it has been in years.
WPS

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 24, 2015, 08:29:56 pm

You mean the SEC caught up to the rest of the power conferences on how to make their middle of the pack teams look decent with an inflated RPI score?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on January 25, 2015, 12:23:44 pm
You mean the SEC caught up to the rest of the power conferences on how to make their middle of the pack teams look decent with an inflated RPI score?

The A10 and MVC have been two of the best at it too.  That consultant is paying off. 

MountieDawg

Quote from: HouseOfHam on January 24, 2015, 08:51:18 pm
The SEC has 6 top 50 RPI teams with Alabama right there (51).

There only about 26 at large teams that make the tourney so a top 25 RPI is important.
SEC!

Danny J

LSU win at West Virginia

UT vs Butler

Don't forget that Carolina beat #9 ISU on a neutral court. Also....UK beat a ton of ranked teams and the closest games to this date have all been against SEC teams. We also beat Dayton and at SMU both high in the rpi.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: MountieDawg on January 25, 2015, 12:35:41 pm
There only about 26 at large teams that make the tourney so a top 25 RPI is important.

Now 36, I beleieve.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

HF#1

This league may be as deep as it has been in 10 years.  We could very well get 5 teams in this season.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Danny J on January 25, 2015, 02:10:31 pm
Don't forget that Carolina beat #9 ISU on a neutral court. Also....UK beat a ton of ranked teams and the closest games to this date have all been against SEC teams. We also beat Dayton and at SMU both high in the rpi.

Yep, I mentioned USCe about 12 posts back.

I decided not to use UK and Arkanss as the original poster already feels UK is a quality team and I assumed is aware of our schedule.

Hook 'em Hogs

SEC is inconsistent, but improved. I think for a number of years, the play was behind the reputation (we weren't as good of a conference as some thought). When the rep caught up with the play, the pendulum swung, and now we are playing ahead of our rep.  The rep will catch up to the play with another good showing in the tourny regardless of the number of teams that make it.

razorbackkid

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on January 25, 2015, 02:52:22 pm
SEC is inconsistent, but improved. I think for a number of years, the play was behind the reputation (we weren't as good of a conference as some thought). When the rep caught up with the play, the pendulum swung, and now we are playing ahead of our rep.  The rep will catch up to the play with another good showing in the tourny regardless of the number of teams that make it.
+1  ... nice viewpoint.
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.