Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, did the college playoff do what you thought it would?

Started by hogsanity, January 13, 2015, 08:35:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 13, 2015, 10:20:45 am
Are you kidding me, GT lost to Duke and North Carolina

Yes, yes they did.  They also beat Georgia and pounded Mississippi State.  And, since I was talking about how rugged the SEC overall...and Bama's schedule in particular...were the games Georgia Tech played against the SEC are relevant.

Actually, considering GT beat two of the SEC's top teams, you just made the case that maybe the conference wasn't as strong this year as everyone thought.

RacinRazorback

It played out like I thought it would. Same as years before, a high flyin west coast team plays a team with a defense and a loss happens to the high flyers......again.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 13, 2015, 10:02:38 am
Here's my mock 8 team playoff using this years post-bowl game rankings.  Keep in mind there's a different level of focus and motivation that come along with playing for a Nat'l. Title than playing for a consolation trophy.

1. Alabama 2. Oregon 3. Florida St. 4. Ohio State 5. Baylor 6. TCU 7. Mississippi St. 8. Mich. St

Alabama vs. Mich. State
Oregon vs. Mississippi State
Florida St. vs. TCU
Ohio St. vs. Baylor

Alabama vs. Ohio State
Mississippi St. vs TCU

Alabama vs. TCU

Alabama 2015 Champs

Here's to hoping you do not gamble much
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

hogsanity

Quote from: swinemaster on January 13, 2015, 10:30:36 am

Because of the playoff, we got a true champion. 

So because a committee PICKED 4 teams for the playoff ( 4 out of 125 fbs teams ) that make a TRUE champion?

If in basketball they just picked 8 teams, out of 300+, and played a tournament, would that be a TRUE champion? 

Until there is a set way to PLAY your into the playoff, there will not be a TRUE champion.

There is no doubt, OSU was the best of the 4 teams playing in the playoff, but were they the best out of all the team eligible? 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

latrops

That proves his point even more.  A team that lost to Duke and North Carolina just dominated one of the best teams in the SEC.  The SEC was down this year.  The bowl games showed that.  The rankings during the season and the perception of the SEC was flawed this year. 

Because of the playoff, we got a true champion.  Not the winner of Bama vs. Florida St.

I think it worked perfectly.

Very well said.  I'm thrilled that we have a champion that earned it by beating two of the top teams back to back.  It was truly earned this year.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 10:36:05 am
So because a committee PICKED 4 teams for the playoff ( 4 out of 125 fbs teams ) that make a TRUE champion?

If in basketball they just picked 8 teams, out of 300+, and played a tournament, would that be a TRUE champion? 

Until there is a set way to PLAY your into the playoff, there will not be a TRUE champion.

There is no doubt, OSU was the best of the 4 teams playing in the playoff, but were they the best out of all the team *eligible? 

*yes
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

swinemaster

There is no doubt, OSU was the best of the 4 teams playing in the playoff, but were they the best out of all the team eligible? 

Yes.  You're too smart to throw a basketball argument at me.  You're better than that.

latrops

Moreso than anything we had in the past.  The same format used for basketball can't be applied to football given the more physical nature of football.  The playoff probably expands to 6 or 8 teams eventually, but I don't know that it will ever go beyond that.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 10:33:14 am
Yes, yes they did.  They also beat Georgia and pounded Mississippi State.  And, since I was talking about how rugged the SEC overall...and Bama's schedule in particular...were the games Georgia Tech played against the SEC are relevant.

Actually, considering GT beat two of the SEC's top teams, you just made the case that maybe the conference wasn't as strong this year as everyone thought.

Not SEC specific, but I have ever looked at bowl games as a representation of a conference. So much goes into what happens in a bowl game. Does one of the teams feel slighted, do not really want to be there, and so do not play very hard?  That happens a lot. Ou obviously had no interest in playing in that bowl after puking up the game against Okie st, but Okie St was obviously very excited about getting to a bowl, and whipped Washington. Arkansas, thrilled to be in a bowl, and put on a show against Texas. old misses limped into their bowl, and never had a chance.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Marmot

Sounds like you won't be happy with any scenario. What is your proposal?
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

texas tush hog

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 13, 2015, 09:19:51 am
Yes but looking forward to it being 8 teams.

Probably ain't happening for at least six years, until this rotation is completed.

hogsanity

Quote from: The Marmot on January 13, 2015, 10:41:53 am
Sounds like you won't be happy with any scenario. What is your proposal?

I would be fine with it if they said if you win your conf title you are in ( of course that means adding more games which is not easy ). Or conf champs went to certain bowls, and the winners of those bowls, lets say 4 bowls, went into the playoff.

Anything that makes it a set way to win your way in. I just do not like the teams being picked by a committee.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 10:39:55 am
Not SEC specific, but I have ever looked at bowl games as a representation of a conference. So much goes into what happens in a bowl game. Does one of the teams feel slighted, do not really want to be there, and so do not play very hard?  That happens a lot. Ou obviously had no interest in playing in that bowl after puking up the game against Okie st, but Okie St was obviously very excited about getting to a bowl, and whipped Washington. Arkansas, thrilled to be in a bowl, and put on a show against Texas. old misses limped into their bowl, and never had a chance.

With all due respect, you are choosing to ignore outcomes that don't fit your argument.  Bowl games don't matter because you don't think certain teams wanted to be there?  That's quite an assumption. 

Ole Miss stunk against us, too.  They had a QB who turned the ball over repeatedly.  He took away scoring opportunities for his team and gave points to the opponent.  He did it against us and he did it against TCU.  It's who he is, and consequently it's who Ole Miss was, too.

They were never a top five team.  Their ranking was a mirage, yet another case of perception proven false on the field.

hogsanity

Quote from: swinemaster on January 13, 2015, 10:39:41 am
Yes.  You're too smart to throw a basketball argument at me.  You're better than that.

Ok, if the NFL just started naming 4 teams, and it was all up to a committee to pick those 4 teams, would that be okay?

rzrbaxfan

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 13, 2015, 08:57:42 am
I approve, now lets make it 8 teams instead of 4.

The likelihood of regular season rematches is pretty high with 8 teams, and that would diminish the importance of regular season games.  Also, a national champion that didn't win it's conference is realistic too with 8, which diminishes the importance of conference championship games.

If they expand, I hope they keep it at 5 or 6 (using first round bye's based on overall record and strength of schedule to make it work).  Force the B12 to declare 1 champion, and let the P5 conference champs (or P5 + 1 mid major conference champ) duke it out.  If you don't win your conference, you are not in the playoffs. 

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 11:04:20 am
With all due respect, you are choosing to ignore outcomes that don't fit your argument.  Bowl games don't matter because you don't think certain teams wanted to be there?  That's quite an assumption. 

Ole Miss stunk against us, too.  They had a QB who turned the ball over repeatedly.  He took away scoring opportunities for his team and gave points to the opponent.  He did it against us and he did it against TCU.  It's who he is, and consequently it's who Ole Miss was, too.

They were never a top five team.  Their ranking was a mirage, yet another case of perception proven false on the field.

I am one who thinks no polls should come out until mid-late october, I have said that here for years. But bowl season has always been about matchups, and who wants to be there, especially in the lower bowls. No, old misses was never as good as their ranking, and once bad bo showed back up, which was inevitable, they were done.

I just dont think you can draw conclusions about which league is better, based on bowl games. ND beat LSu, is ND better than most of the SEC? Okie St beat Washington, is the big12-2+2-1*pi better than the pac12?

But the conversation makes me wonder, what did the playoff really prove except that of the 4 teams in it, OSU was the best?

The Hogfather

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 11:43:36 am
I am one who thinks no polls should come out until mid-late october, I have said that here for years. But bowl season has always been about matchups, and who wants to be there, especially in the lower bowls. No, old misses was never as good as their ranking, and once bad bo showed back up, which was inevitable, they were done.

I just dont think you can draw conclusions about which league is better, based on bowl games. ND beat LSu, is ND better than most of the SEC? Okie St beat Washington, is the big12-2+2-1*pi better than the pac12?

But the conversation makes me wonder, what did the playoff really prove except that of the 4 teams in it, OSU was the best?

Anyone who uses bowl season to draw conclusions regarding the relative strength of entire conferences is a complete dolt.

hawginbigd1

Playoff went well, and i believe the end result provided all the justification needed. IMO however the end result actually makes the argument for an expansion to 8. I do not believe OSU would have been in the game if they had beat Wisky like 42 to 31 instead of 59-0, I believe that honor would have went to Baylor and clearly the best team in the country at season's end would have had no shot at the title. 4 is good, 8 is better.

Sportster365

That proves his point even more.  A team that lost to Duke and North Carolina just dominated one of the best teams in the SEC.  The SEC was down this year.  The bowl games showed that.  The rankings during the season and the perception of the SEC was flawed this year. 

Because of the playoff, we got a true champion.  Not the winner of Bama vs. Florida St.

I think it worked perfectly.

And as someone who traveled across country to watch the Hogs play a bowl game, I don't think it is feasible to go to 8 teams which would add another game for fans and students to try and get to.  The money is out of control.

I can't believe I'm hearing this in SEC country. The SEC is still the most dominant conference in the country. Win those 3 close games and the conference is 10-2, most impressive. In fact 7-5 landed us second among P5.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 13, 2015, 11:55:10 am
I can't believe I'm hearing this in SEC country. The SEC is still the most dominant conference in the country. Win those 3 close games and the conference is 10-2, most impressive. In fact 7-5 landed us second among P5.

Unbelievable to me too, but it shouldn't be.  Most people just adopt whatever they hear on ESPN as their own.  If they say the SEC is down because of a few close bowl losses, the SEC has to be down.  Really sad.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 08:35:24 am
It did exactly what I thought it would. It gave an avenue for teams in weaker leagues, or with weaker schedules, to get around the "problem" with the bcs formula ( you know the "problem" of the computers rewarding teams with tough schedules ) by letting in the top 4 teams, and basing those 4 teams solely on the opinions of people. Also, by setting it at 4, they keep enough controversy going, this year with tcu being left out, to eventually force it to go to 8 teams.

When the teams were picked, had OSU really had a better season than TCU or Baylor? For that matter, had FSU had a better season than those three? YEs, OSu won the playoff, but had the regular season warranted them even getting into the playoff? Did TCU deserve a spot of FSU, even though FSU was undefeated? Should the Playoff committee release polls before the final selection day? Should Larry the Dr Pepper vendor be allowed on the committee?

With the 2014 season now in the books, what changes, if any, will be made to process before next season?  Will they finally add a conf championship provision, thus giving themselves cover for leaving out a team like TCU or Baylor? Basically telling the big12-2+1-1+2*pi that they better find a way to have an actual champion, or they are likely to get gigged every year.

I admit I was not, and still am not, in favor of a playoff. I do not think it was any better than the BCS system, but I was not really in favor of that either. I still do not think there is any way to fairly determine a fbs level champion on the field because the conferences are too varied in strength and schedules. There is no real criteria for making the playoff other than a committee picks you. A playoff works in the pros because there is a set formula for WINNING your way in by beating the other teams in your division, or having the best record among non division winners, and there are set tie breakers. None of that exists in college football.

I think the OP had potential.  Unfortunately this became about the strength of the SEC.

Getting back to the OP, I agree it did little to solve the controversy and didn't do much for those who think they need a "true" champion either. 

Now I don't believe TCU would have done much better against Oh St(or Bama) than Oregon did.  It would have been the same story of better talent and physically superior team in Oh St winning.  The Sugar was the NC game.  But this is opinion again which it will continue to be in college football even if you go to 8 teams.  Eight lets in even more weaker teams who didn't achieve as much in the regular season. 

Sanity has a point about the regular season.  But the overwhelming need so many have for the playoff will cause them to ignore this.

The BCS didn't do much for me either in terms of deciding who played for the NC.  I was good with the old way and split champions some seasons and the major bowls being of some interest.  Now we are being told the Peach and Fiesta with TCU, Ole Miss, Arizona and Boise are major bowls.  This will be as bad as those BCS bowls that gave us NIU, Wake, Hawaii, UConn, etc as participants or worse since they have added a bowl. 

Oh St was the hottest team in college football from their Michigan game through last night.  And they were probably the best at the end of the season.  I don't know of a team that I would suggest would beat them.  For me, this isn't so much about Oh St as it was the playoff.

And it was mentioned here last night and I agree, having the game last night was a weird almost anticlimactic choice.  I know they did it to get it on a weeknight for the ratings.  But it was missing something compared to the semifinals.  It was kind of similar to the feeling, with football having a much longer layoff, of NC night in the NCAAT compared to F4 Saturday which is a great experience.  Maybe I just didn't watch enough ESPN to get inundated with OSU-Oregon talk over the last week plus. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogarusa

It's obvious from reading this thread that the bowl system used in college football history has completely molded some college football fans minds to jello. 

Very thankful for the move to a 4 team playoff and it will only get better and make the bowl (exhibition) games more irrelevant more and more with each passing season. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

alohawg

Quote from: The Marmot on January 13, 2015, 09:02:47 am
I say 6 with the top 2 getting a bye.

Interesting, but then you'll have controversy on who is picked #1 and #2 for the bye. I like it though, I think.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

The Marmot

Quote from: alohawg on January 13, 2015, 01:19:27 pm
Interesting, but then you'll have controversy on who is picked #1 and #2 for the bye. I like it though, I think.

Any system will have controversy. Its an established part of post season-college athletics.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

jvanhorn

alohawg

The 6 team format would have included Baylor and TCU this year. Would the outcome have been different, probably not, but who knows.
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

EastexHawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 11:45:48 am
Anyone who uses bowl season to draw conclusions regarding the relative strength of entire conferences is a complete dolt.

So you subscribe to the "we're better because...well, because we all know we're better, and I refuse to let bowl game outcomes to the contrary affect my position" argument?

Many of the same people who are arguing that bowl game results prove nothing are the ones who say SEC teams shouldn't play OOC games against top teams from around the country.  Why?  Because the SEC schedule itself is so tough that there is no reason to do so.

They also don't want the playoff field expanded because they don't want "undeserving" teams to get in and get a chance to "get hot" and win.  They prefer having the SEC champ placed in the championship game.  Why?  Because the SEC is so tough that its champion deserves to play in the title game even if there are conference champions from other leagues who have similar...or even better...records.

Yep, it's all tied up in a neat little package.  How convenient.

The Hogfather

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 01:38:20 pm
So you subscribe to the "we're better because...well, because we all know we're better, and I refuse to let bowl game outcomes to the contrary affect my position" argument?

Many of the same people who are arguing that bowl game results prove nothing are the ones who say SEC teams shouldn't play OOC games against top teams from around the country.  Why?  Because the SEC schedule itself is so tough that there is no reason to do so.

They also don't want the playoff field expanded because they don't want "undeserving" teams to get in and get a chance to "get hot" and win.  They prefer having the SEC champ placed in the championship game.  Why?  Because the SEC is so tough that its champion deserves to play in the title game even if there are conference champions from other leagues who have similar...or even better...records.

I want an 8 team playoff and I want SEC teams to play ONE marquee OOC game.  No more than that.  Bowl games are about motivation (or lack there of) more than anything.  Some teams don't care about winning the Car Quest Bowl after getting their NC hopes dashed 2 games ago, etc.  Some are out to "prove" they should've been included in the BCS/Playoff, etc.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 01:38:20 pm

In my perfect world, teams would make the playoff based on winning their league, stuff like oocsos ( just the strength of ooc games ) would matter in the seedings. Teams would be rewarded with a higher seed by playing and winning tough ooc games ( kind of like the rpi in basketball ) but losing those games would not keep you out of the playoff. This would encourage better ooc games by not punishing teams for losing those games.

Quote from: Hogarusa on January 13, 2015, 12:53:42 pm
It's obvious from reading this thread that the bowl system used in college football history has completely molded some college football fans minds to jello. 

Very thankful for the move to a 4 team playoff and it will only get better and make the bowl (exhibition) games more irrelevant more and more with each passing season. 

The way the bowls were, it was possible to have the top 3 or 4 teams ALL lose on the same day, what was wrong with that?

swinemaster

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 11:57:12 am
Unbelievable to me too, but it shouldn't be.  Most people just adopt whatever they hear on ESPN as their own.  If they say the SEC is down because of a few close bowl losses, the SEC has to be down.  Really sad.

Very pompous of you to determine that the bowl season formed everyone's opinion of the SEC this year.  There was a lot of anecdotal evidence throughout the season to show the weakness of the conference this year. 

1.  It started with Bama's shaky showing over W. Virginia
2.  Indiana defeated Mizzou in Columbia.  Mizzou - SEC East Champion
3.  Week 14 saw the ACC go 4-0 versus the SEC.
5.  AND THEN, the bowls happened

The SEC's only quality out of conference victory for the ENTIRE regular season was Auburn's 20-14 win over #20 Kansas State in a game that if you watched, you know Auburn should have lost.  I dare you to look through the entire regular season and find any better.  Pathetic.

My post history shows that I predicted and maintained a stance that the SEC was overrated THIS year and down from previous powerful years.  Never before had the league lost so much at the QB position all in one year.

The Hogfather

Quote from: swinemaster on January 13, 2015, 01:49:19 pm
The SEC's only quality out of conference victory for the ENTIRE regular season was Auburn's 20-14 win over #20 Kansas State in a game that if you watched, you know Auburn should have lost.  I dare you to look through the entire regular season and find any better.  Pathetic.

LSU beat #13 Wisconsin.  Georgia killed #15 Clemson.  Suck it.

swinemaster

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 01:52:14 pm
LSU beat #13 Wisconsin.  Suck it.

Touche!  I forgot that I turned that one off when LSU was down by 17 in the 4th qtr. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: swinemaster on January 13, 2015, 01:57:21 pm
Touche!  I forgot that I turned that one off when LSU was down by 17 in the 4th qtr. 

Added another one.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: swinemaster on January 13, 2015, 01:49:19 pm
Very pompous of you to determine that the bowl season formed everyone's opinion of the SEC this year.  There was a lot of anecdotal evidence throughout the season to show the weakness of the conference this year. 

1.  It started with Bama's shaky showing over W. Virginia
2.  Indiana defeated Mizzou in Columbia.  Mizzou - SEC East Champion
3.  Week 14 saw the ACC go 4-0 versus the SEC.
5.  AND THEN, the bowls happened

My post history shows that I predicted and maintained a stance that the SEC was overrated THIS year and down from previous powerful years.  Never before had the league lost so much at the QB position all in one year.

Sat, Aug 30   
LSU vs
#14 Wisconsin*
W28-24
1-0 (0-0)

Sat, Aug 30   
Georgia vs
#16 Clemson
W45-21
1-0 (0-0)

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

alohawg

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 13, 2015, 01:52:14 pm
LSU beat #13 Wisconsin.  Georgia killed #15 Clemson.  Suck it.

True.....but not like the butt whoppin' OSU put on 'em, yikes!
-Upton Sinclair

― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️

The Hogfather

Quote from: alohawg on January 13, 2015, 01:58:31 pm
True.....but not like the butt whoppin' OSU put on 'em, yikes!

Definitely not.  OSU got white hot at the right time.  No doubt about that.

Pork Twain

8 teams gets us there and is really just one extra game, but until that happens, this works better than anything we have ever had.

Seeding is not important in this as it is just an example
1/4
        1/2 = 2 games for the NC
2/3

1/8
4/5
            (1/4vs2/3) = 1/2 = 3 games for the NC
2/7
3/6
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

OldCoot

Quote from: LRHawg on January 13, 2015, 08:40:53 am
I don't like that Ohio State got into the playoff by only beating two decent teams, and losing to a terrible Hokie team at home. It is what it is, but if they had been in the SEC they'd have lost several games early in the season and been out.

Aug. 30    Midshipmen    at Navy Midshipmen
M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD    Won 34-17    

Sept. 6    Hokies    Virginia Tech Hokies
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Lost 35-21    ---

Sept. 13    Golden Flashes    Kent State Golden Flashes
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 66-0    ---

Sept. 20    ---    Open Date    ---    ---

Sept. 27    Bearcats    Cincinnati Bearcats
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 50-28    ---

Oct. 4    Terrapins    at Maryland Terrapins
Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD    Won 52-24    ---

Oct. 11    ---    Open Date    ---    ---

Oct. 18    Scarlet Knights    Rutgers Scarlet Knights (HC)
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 56-17    ---

Oct. 25    Nittany Lions    at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA    Won 31-24 (OT)    ---

Nov. 1    Fighting Illini    Illinois Fighting Illini
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 55-14    ---

Nov. 8    Spartans    at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI    Won 49-37    ---

Nov. 15    Gophers    at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN    Won 31-24    ---

Nov. 22    Hoosiers    Indiana Hoosiers
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 42-27    ---

Nov. 29    Wolverines    Michigan Wolverines
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 42-28

That is simply amazing and pathetic at the same time.

reddogjcss

Yes it play off worked well!
Jeff and crew got it right.

Sportster365

I don't like that Ohio State got into the playoff by only beating two decent teams, and losing to a terrible Hokie team at home. It is what it is, but if they had been in the SEC they'd have lost several games early in the season and been out.

I was thinking that exact thing. Couldn't help but ponder how may they have faired in the SEC. But as a sports fan, I've got to credit them for beating a legitimate #1 and #2  in back to back games. The playoffs left very little to doubt about in crowning a true #1.

Sportster365

Paper Champs hypothetical (2-5) SEC W schedule in back to back weeks

Ohio St. vs. LSU - L
Ohio St. vs. Auburn - L
Ohio St. vs. Mississippi St. - L
Ohio St. vs. Alabama - L
Ohio St. vs. Texas A&M - W
Ohio St. vs. Ole Miss - L
Ohio St. vs. Arkansas - W

hogsanity

What the playoff did NOT do:

Get ride of the controversy on who is in and out

Improve ooc scheduling ( I think it will HURT that )

Force all conferences to have a ccg ( the big12-2=1-1=1=2*pi is in a real bind there )

Set a criteria for winning your way in.

Svrdhd

The only reason we have four teams in the playoff is that there was sometimes a third that probably deserved a shot. There will be no move to go to eight until 2021, if ever. The goal is to get a championship game with the best two teams, having a pool of the top four accomplishes that. And having a conference championship game after the regular season, followed by a quarterfinal, then a semifinal, and concluding with a championship game is brutal for the fans that are expected to follow. Very few fans can follow a Division II school across the country for their seemingly endless number of playoff games.
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 13, 2015, 03:38:53 pm
Paper Champs hypothetical (2-5) SEC W schedule in back to back weeks

Ohio St. vs. LSU - L
Ohio St. vs. Auburn - L
Ohio St. vs. Mississippi St. - L
Ohio St. vs. Alabama - L
Ohio St. vs. Texas A&M - W
Ohio St. vs. Ole Miss - L
Ohio St. vs. Arkansas - W
youre reaching. I contend that since tOhio State handled king of the sec Bama that the rest of the sec would be child's play.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

including Bama and Oregon Ohio State played 12 teams that played in bowl games. 6 of the 12 won their bowl game. Not exactly sisters of the poor.
This is fun, isn't it.

Sportster365

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 10:15:13 pm
youre reaching. I contend that since tOhio State handled king of the sec Bama that the rest of the sec would be child's play.

A 7-6 Arkansas team out-played, as you've put it, the king of the SEC Bama this season.  My point is how would they have faired week after week facing a different SEC W opponent. When Ole Miss and Miss. St. were playing they're best football earlier in the season, there probably wasn't a team in the country they could not have beaten. Let's face it, the talent in the SEC W greatly outweighs the competition tOSU faced in the BIG

Hogs-n-Roses

Yes. It put 4 of the top7 all time cheatingest n highest paid college athletes in there to once again make sure one of 7-8 schools wins the national championship. It did prove that a playoff is needed just used bout a third of the field it should.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 10:15:13 pm

Alabama is just typically more deep than the rest of the SEC (with the exception of LSU probably). OSU played an Alabama team that nearly ran the table on a very physical schedule. That has been the nature of the beast for the last 15 years. Alabama has typically been deep enough to survive and gotten lucky with no injuries to key personnel.

Aside from QB play, OSU was healthier than Alabama. It definitely helped them in the Sugar Bowl. But again, thats the nature of college football.
This is my non-signature signature.

popcornhog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 08:35:24 am
It did exactly what I thought it would. It gave an avenue for teams in weaker leagues, or with weaker schedules, to get around the "problem" with the bcs formula ( you know the "problem" of the computers rewarding teams with tough schedules ) by letting in the top 4 teams, and basing those 4 teams solely on the opinions of people. Also, by setting it at 4, they keep enough controversy going, this year with tcu being left out, to eventually force it to go to 8 teams.

When the teams were picked, had OSU really had a better season than TCU or Baylor? For that matter, had FSU had a better season than those three? YEs, OSu won the playoff, but had the regular season warranted them even getting into the playoff? Did TCU deserve a spot of FSU, even though FSU was undefeated? Should the Playoff committee release polls before the final selection day? Should Larry the Dr Pepper vendor be allowed on the committee?

With the 2014 season now in the books, what changes, if any, will be made to process before next season?  Will they finally add a conf championship provision, thus giving themselves cover for leaving out a team like TCU or Baylor? Basically telling the big12-2+1-1+2*pi that they better find a way to have an actual champion, or they are likely to get gigged every year.

I admit I was not, and still am not, in favor of a playoff. I do not think it was any better than the BCS system, but I was not really in favor of that either. I still do not think there is any way to fairly determine a fbs level champion on the field because the conferences are too varied in strength and schedules. There is no real criteria for making the playoff other than a committee picks you. A playoff works in the pros because there is a set formula for WINNING your way in by beating the other teams in your division, or having the best record among non division winners, and there are set tie breakers. None of that exists in college football.

Having four teams ensures that the best team is getting a shot. Based on all 15 games, OSU was undoubtedly the best team in the country this year.

The Va Tech loss was bad, but wins away from home against Michigan State, Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon?! Are you kidding me? Hats off to them (although Urban Myers is my least favorite coach in America).
WPS