Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, did the college playoff do what you thought it would?

Started by hogsanity, January 13, 2015, 08:35:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

It did exactly what I thought it would. It gave an avenue for teams in weaker leagues, or with weaker schedules, to get around the "problem" with the bcs formula ( you know the "problem" of the computers rewarding teams with tough schedules ) by letting in the top 4 teams, and basing those 4 teams solely on the opinions of people. Also, by setting it at 4, they keep enough controversy going, this year with tcu being left out, to eventually force it to go to 8 teams.

When the teams were picked, had OSU really had a better season than TCU or Baylor? For that matter, had FSU had a better season than those three? YEs, OSu won the playoff, but had the regular season warranted them even getting into the playoff? Did TCU deserve a spot of FSU, even though FSU was undefeated? Should the Playoff committee release polls before the final selection day? Should Larry the Dr Pepper vendor be allowed on the committee?

With the 2014 season now in the books, what changes, if any, will be made to process before next season?  Will they finally add a conf championship provision, thus giving themselves cover for leaving out a team like TCU or Baylor? Basically telling the big12-2+1-1+2*pi that they better find a way to have an actual champion, or they are likely to get gigged every year.

I admit I was not, and still am not, in favor of a playoff. I do not think it was any better than the BCS system, but I was not really in favor of that either. I still do not think there is any way to fairly determine a fbs level champion on the field because the conferences are too varied in strength and schedules. There is no real criteria for making the playoff other than a committee picks you. A playoff works in the pros because there is a set formula for WINNING your way in by beating the other teams in your division, or having the best record among non division winners, and there are set tie breakers. None of that exists in college football.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Großer Kriegschwein

Oddly enough, I think it was a combination of things that helped OSU get to the final and win it.

They were healthy (only major injury they had was a QB, and that worked out ok).

They ran the ball effectively and wore down their opponents DL.

Defense kept Oregon from capitalizing on turnovers. (Had Oregon done to OSU what it did to FSU after turnovers, it would have been flip flopped)

My take, but then again, I'm a simpleton.
This is my non-signature signature.

LRHawg

I don't like that Ohio State got into the playoff by only beating two decent teams, and losing to a terrible Hokie team at home. It is what it is, but if they had been in the SEC they'd have lost several games early in the season and been out.

Aug. 30    Midshipmen    at Navy Midshipmen
M&T Bank Stadium, Baltimore, MD    Won 34-17    

Sept. 6    Hokies    Virginia Tech Hokies
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Lost 35-21    ---

Sept. 13    Golden Flashes    Kent State Golden Flashes
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 66-0    ---

Sept. 20    ---    Open Date    ---    ---

Sept. 27    Bearcats    Cincinnati Bearcats
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 50-28    ---

Oct. 4    Terrapins    at Maryland Terrapins
Byrd Stadium, College Park, MD    Won 52-24    ---

Oct. 11    ---    Open Date    ---    ---

Oct. 18    Scarlet Knights    Rutgers Scarlet Knights (HC)
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 56-17    ---

Oct. 25    Nittany Lions    at Penn State Nittany Lions
Beaver Stadium, University Park, PA    Won 31-24 (OT)    ---

Nov. 1    Fighting Illini    Illinois Fighting Illini
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 55-14    ---

Nov. 8    Spartans    at Michigan State Spartans
Spartan Stadium, East Lansing, MI    Won 49-37    ---

Nov. 15    Gophers    at Minnesota Golden Gophers
TCF Bank Stadium, Minneapolis, MN    Won 31-24    ---

Nov. 22    Hoosiers    Indiana Hoosiers
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 42-27    ---

Nov. 29    Wolverines    Michigan Wolverines
Ohio Stadium, Columbus, OH    Won 42-28

wildhogman

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 08:35:24 am
It did exactly what I thought it would. It gave an avenue for teams in weaker leagues, or with weaker schedules, to get around the "problem" with the bcs formula ( you know the "problem" of the computers rewarding teams with tough schedules ) by letting in the top 4 teams, and basing those 4 teams solely on the opinions of people. Also, by setting it at 4, they keep enough controversy going, this year with tcu being left out, to eventually force it to go to 8 teams.

When the teams were picked, had OSU really had a better season than TCU or Baylor? For that matter, had FSU had a better season than those three? YEs, OSu won the playoff, but had the regular season warranted them even getting into the playoff? Did TCU deserve a spot of FSU, even though FSU was undefeated? Should the Playoff committee release polls before the final selection day? Should Larry the Dr Pepper vendor be allowed on the committee?

With the 2014 season now in the books, what changes, if any, will be made to process before next season?  Will they finally add a conf championship provision, thus giving themselves cover for leaving out a team like TCU or Baylor? Basically telling the big12-2+1-1+2*pi that they better find a way to have an actual champion, or they are likely to get gigged every year.

I admit I was not, and still am not, in favor of a playoff. I do not think it was any better than the BCS system, but I was not really in favor of that either. I still do not think there is any way to fairly determine a fbs level champion on the field because the conferences are too varied in strength and schedules. There is no real criteria for making the playoff other than a committee picks you. A playoff works in the pros because there is a set formula for WINNING your way in by beating the other teams in your division, or having the best record among non division winners, and there are set tie breakers. None of that exists in college football.
Doesn't the same thing happen in the pro's with their football playoffs? I don't watch pro football anymore but I remember "back in the day", seemed like their was always teams getting into play offs and making a little noise because their schedule was easier and they weren't as beat up.  All it showed me was the SEC made have made a mistake trying to become the premiere league. Every year the Conf. Champ is going to be beat up. And now after running a gauntlet, you have to win TWO more games to get to the top. The next 10 years are gonna be interesting, to see if we can maintain are advantage

hogsanity

Quote from: LRHawg on January 13, 2015, 08:40:53 am
I don't like that Ohio State got into the playoff by only beating two decent teams, and losing to a terrible Hokie team at home. It is what it is, but if they had been in the SEC they'd have lost several games early in the season and been out.

Which is why I posted what I did. The playoff gave teams with that type of schedule a way to get in, when before the computers would have hammered them and kept them out.

And I am not even picking at OSU in particular, but that the playoff provided the blueprint on how to get there. A byproduct of that is that by playing an easier schedule you are more likely to be healthy, and just as important, your opponents with tougher schedules are just as likely to be beat up.

Two cases in point, OSu played bama, and on the decisive running TD by OSU, it happened because Bama had a tr fr at LB, due to a season of injuries at that position, and that fr lb was out of position. Then they played Oregon, who was missing their best cover db, their best TE ( although he has been out since just after mid season ), and then of course their best WR is out for being a moron dope smoker ( can't blame that on the season ).

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bubba's Bruisers

This is why Meyer developed a heart condition while at FL.  tOSU is probably the best gig in college.  He can build an SEC type team there and run them through a very weak league.  He'll be in a playoff every year.  He'll likely win it again next year.  Very smart career move on his part.

That said, he still just beat Bama and Oregon.  Can't really complain.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

hogsanity

Quote from: wildhogman on January 13, 2015, 08:50:26 am
Doesn't the same thing happen in the pro's with their football playoffs? I don't watch pro football anymore but I remember "back in the day", seemed like their was always teams getting into play offs and making a little noise because their schedule was easier and they weren't as beat up. 

But in the pros there is a set way those teams WIN their way in.  Just like Carolina this year, yes they got in with a losing record, BUT it was done within the set rules, they did not get "picked" by a group of people.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: wildhogman on January 13, 2015, 08:50:26 am
Doesn't the same thing happen in the pro's with their football playoffs? I don't watch pro football anymore but I remember "back in the day", seemed like their was always teams getting into play offs and making a little noise because their schedule was easier and they weren't as beat up.  All it showed me was the SEC made have made a mistake trying to become the premiere league. Every year the Conf. Champ is going to be beat up. And now after running a gauntlet, you have to win TWO more games to get to the top. The next 10 years are gonna be interesting, to see if we can maintain are advantage

There is simply no comparison between the pros and college when it comes to schedule and playoffs.  Not close to the same scenario.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Sportster365

The Marmot

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 08:52:46 am
Which is why I posted what I did. The playoff gave teams with that type of schedule a way to get in, when before the computers would have hammered them and kept them out.

And I am not even picking at OSU in particular, but that the playoff provided the blueprint on how to get there. A byproduct of that is that by playing an easier schedule you are more likely to be healthy, and just as important, your opponents with tougher schedules are just as likely to be beat up.

Two cases in point, OSu played bama, and on the decisive running TD by OSU, it happened because Bama had a tr fr at LB, due to a season of injuries at that position, and that fr lb was out of position. Then they played Oregon, who was missing their best cover db, their best TE ( although he has been out since just after mid season ), and then of course their best WR is out for being a moron dope smoker ( can't blame that on the season ).

Dude, OSU beat Bama and Oregon, arguably the best 2 teams throughout the season, to become champions. You can't ask for them to do much more.

(I just threw up in my mouth a little while typing that)
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

The Marmot

I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

latrops

I think year one worked out very well.  I don't like that TCU got bumped at the end, but we had 6 teams and 4 spots, so someone had to get left out.  FSU going undefeated was unfortunate as many believed they just weren't a great team in spite of their record.  TCU was probably playing better and likely the better team...but it is impossible to leave an undefeated defending champ out.

Beyond that, I loved that a team that was out of the picture until the conference championship games ultimately won it.  I'm by no means an Ohio State fan, but right off the bat the necessity of a playoff was proven as a team that would have been left out of the BCS won back to back games over the #1 and #2 teams....and the win over #2 wasn't really even competitive.  The legitimacy of the champion is very difficult to question from this point forward.  While you might be able to argue that Ohio State shouldn't have been there in the first place, what they did once they got in shows that they belonged and are the deserving champion for this season.

Bubba's Bruisers

Calling All Hogs

I feel like we finally got a real National Champion in college football for the first time ever. I'm not wild about OSU winning it but they did prove their worthiness on the field. The playoff exposed Florida State who might have made it into the playoff game under the old system (I know Oregon finished #2 in the ratings but FSU was the only undefeated team and I suspect they would have wormed their way in). If FSU had been excluded, we would have never heard the end of it.

grayhawg

The playoff showed that a pro style attack with a power running game and good defence trumps the best HUNH in college football.

Sportster365

Quote from: The Marmot on January 13, 2015, 09:02:10 am
Dude, OSU beat Bama and Oregon, arguably the best 2 teams throughout the season, to become champions. You can't ask for them to do much more.

Bama turned the ball over 3 times and lost by only 7. OSU did manage to annihilate the Badgers in the BIG championship game and dismantle Oregon.  Oregon tends to struggle with physical teams ...ie Stanford, LSU and most likely would have lost to Bama provided the chance to play them. Defensive I believe the key to beating Oregon is stopping the run and taking away the middle of the field.

latrops

Poor Alabama...it's not fair.  Is that what we are going for here? 

hogsanity

Quote from: latrops on January 13, 2015, 09:09:04 am
Poor Alabama...it's not fair.  Is that what we are going for here? 

Really? You read my Op, and that reply, and THAT was what you got out of it? Really?

Sportster365

Quote from: The Marmot on January 13, 2015, 09:02:47 am
I say 6 with the top 2 getting a bye.

You don't think it would be too much of an advantage giving the top 2 an extra game off?

Wildhog

I think it helps teams like Arkansas get in, especially if it's expanded.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pork Twain

"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

longpig

I'm very happy with it and hope it stays at 4 teams forever.  When it was 2, there was always that 3rd team that got screwed, now that it's 4, there's that 5th team that got screwed. If it went to 8, that 9th team would  be there complaining.  TCU knew early on they had to win big over weak teams to get in and they failed to do that.  And don't forget we would've been watching Bama and FSU last night were we still using the BCS.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Tripod1

I dislike OSU but I will give them their due.  They had a THIRD string QB that was making only his THIRD start.  He was the winning QB in the BIG title game, the winning QB in the Sugar Bowl, and the winning QB in the national championship game.  So it isn't as if they had no injuries.  The best team AT THIS TIME OF YEAR won and deserves to be national champion. 

EastexHawg

How can you say Ohio State was a weak team in a weak league?  They beat the bully of the SEC, then destroyed the Oregon team that destroyed the defending national champion...who, in case some of us have forgotten, beat the SEC champ in the title game last year.

Alabama lost to Ole Miss this year.  How did they look against TCU?  I personally believe TCU would have worn Bama out if they had been selected...

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 09:34:33 am
How can you say Ohio State was a weak team in a weak league?  They beat the bully of the SEC, then destroyed the Oregon team that destroyed the defending national champion...who, in case some of us have forgotten, beat the SEC champ in the title game last year.

Alabama lost to Ole Miss this year.  How did they look against TCU?  I personally believe TCU would have worn Bama out if they had been selected...

I did not say OSU was a weak team. I said the playoff gets around the problem teams like OSU had in the past with computers hammering them for having weak schedules.

rickm1976

Quote from: The Marmot on January 13, 2015, 09:02:10 am

My view also.  Bama had the perfect chance to prove a point, but they didn't.  Same thing goes for Oregon, and they got manhandled.  OSU won the title fair and square.

ChicoHog

I'm still not sure what I prefer.  This system can help a team who is the "hottest" like OSU but stumbled early.  What makes CF so great is the entire season counts.  I don't want to see 2 loss teams in the playoffs.  But I also understand HogSanity's OP about how some teams have a much easier road (OSU winning a fairly weak Big Ten, Oregon in a weak Pac 12 north, FSU skimming by week after week) but this year there really were no dominant teams throughout the regular season.  If we do go to 8 teams then I definitely support home field advantage for the first round.  And the thinking of five Power 5 conf champions and 3 wild cards make sense.  I'm just not a fan of the conf champion game but I know it's not going away.  It adds another unnecessary game and can knock out a possible undefeated team.  I'm going to stop rambling now and get to work!

The Marmot

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 09:38:34 am
I did not say OSU was a weak team. I said the playoff gets around the problem teams like OSU had in the past with computers hammering them for having weak schedules.

Or maybe it showed that even some teams with weaker schedules (and a 3rd string QB) can prove they are worth being a finalist.

I think your attempt to show that OSU shouldn't have been there is thwarted by the fact that they won it all. If they had been blown out by Bama, then you would be on to something.

(Just threw up a little again)

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

latrops

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 09:11:32 am
Really? You read my Op, and that reply, and THAT was what you got out of it? Really?

Bama is usually #1 in the recruiting rankings every year.  Guys like Tenpenny go there to sit the bench.  They wanted to grayshirt Philon, which led to him coming here.  I'm not feeling sorry for them and their lack of depth at linebacker.

Ohio State had some injuries, too...most notably at qb.  Their backups came in and played well.  They were absolutely rolling at the end of the season and earned this championship.

Your argument that Ohio State got in on a soft schedule wouldn't hold much water with anyone other than SEC homers.  They had VaTech and Cincinnati out of conference and played at Minnesota, at Michigan State, at Penn State, and against Wisconsin in the championship game.  Looking at the polls and bowl results, the case for SEC superiority is not as strong as some believe....at least not this year. 

wildturkey8

Quote from: grayhawg on January 13, 2015, 09:07:37 am
The playoff showed that a pro style attack with a power running game and good defence trumps the best HUNH in college football.
Ohio State does not run a pro style offense.  In fact, both Ohio State and Oregon are spread teams.  Oregon prefers the no huddle.

go hogues

Overall, it's good for the game. It's actually the perfect scenario, since the team everyone was belly-aching over was the team than won.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

CattleCorn

With respect to NFL playoffs, Carolina got in with a 7-8 record, so I wouldn't say it is perfect...

Hogarusa

I just don't get the anti playoff people.  Ohio State proved on the field that not only they were the best team, that they were a dominant team.  So you think the BCS formula, which would have had FSU/Bama in the national title, makes more sense?

That's just a difficult argument to follow.  this must be an SEC thing.  Bama gave up nearly 1200 yards of offense to Auburn and Ohio St.  the playoffs are great.  I don't think the move to 8 is as close as others.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Sportster365

Here's my mock 8 team playoff using this years post-bowl game rankings.  Keep in mind there's a different level of focus and motivation that come along with playing for a Nat'l. Title than playing for a consolation trophy.

1. Alabama 2. Oregon 3. Florida St. 4. Ohio State 5. Baylor 6. TCU 7. Mississippi St. 8. Mich. St

Alabama vs. Mich. State
Oregon vs. Mississippi State
Florida St. vs. TCU
Ohio St. vs. Baylor

Alabama vs. Ohio State
Mississippi St. vs TCU

Alabama vs. TCU

Alabama 2015 Champs

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 09:38:34 am

And how do we know how strong or weak schedules are until the bowl games, when teams step outside their conferences and play good teams from other leagues?

Take a look at Alabama's schedule and tell everyone how tough it looks right now...after the bowls...compared to how tough everyone THOUGHT it was when the games were played.  The teams they beat this year were:

West Virginia
Florida Atlantic
Southern Miss
Florida
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Tennessee
LSU
Mississippi State
Western Carolina
Auburn
Missouri

When they beat Mississippi State the mantra was "they just beat the number one team in the country!"  Really?  Georgia Tech didn't seem to think so.  They outlasted Auburn, the same Auburn team that lost to Wisconsin...who was hammered 59-0 by Ohio State in their previous game.

Maybe that schedule wasn't quite as difficult as everyone seemed to think.

How can anyone claim that placing teams in a championship game based on "we all know they are the best" is a better method of determining a champion than settling it on the field? 

hogsanity

Quote from: The Marmot on January 13, 2015, 09:50:05 am
Or maybe it showed that even some teams with weaker schedules (and a 3rd string QB) can prove they are worth being a finalist.

I think your attempt to show that OSU shouldn't have been there is thwarted by the fact that they won it all. If they had been blown out by Bama, then you would be on to something.

(Just threw up a little again)

I am not saying OSU should not have been there. I, personally thought they deserved to be in over TCU or Baylor. What I am saying is that the playoff gives a way in for team with "weaker" schedules.  Someone is always going to have a weaker schedule, because not all conferences are the same.

What I think the playoff did, more than anything, is crush the idea that you need a big time OOC game.  Back when it was just a two team BCS winner take all game, often it was the SOS, made by playing a big OOC game, that made the difference. Now, you do not need that type of game. 

bigredone

Why would anyone still be arguing that the little 12 deserved a playoff spot. Their one champion, by the written rules of the league, got beat in their bowl game. TCU was probably better than Baylor but lost to them head to head.

The only team that looked like it did not belong was FSU who was the only undefeated major and was also the defending NC. They would not have been left out of the BCS, either.

I hate osu almost as much as texass and chokelahoma, but they won their division, won the conference championship game, won the first round of playoff, and now are regretably the NCs. They belonged even though it makes LRrandy happy which is never a good thing.

The little twelve will probably be encouraging both TCU and Baylor to look at other conferences because this is not what texass and blowyou had in mind for their little conference.

The committee was right in its choices.

RobGob

Yes, it definitely lived up to the hype and drew massive ratings.  Wish we had gone to a playoff system 15 years ago instead of BCS - makes me think most of the "National Champions" of the BCS era weren't legitimate. It would have solved the Auburn/Oklahoma/USC problem in the 2004-05 season. 

I thought it was really cool how it turned some of the regular season games into playoff games as well, with one of the 4 spots on the line.  I don't think they should expand it, but if they do, I hope it is just 6 teams.

The Marmot

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 10:06:56 am
I am not saying OSU should not have been there. I, personally thought they deserved to be in over TCU or Baylor. What I am saying is that the playoff gives a way in for team with "weaker" schedules.  Someone is always going to have a weaker schedule, because not all conferences are the same.

What I think the playoff did, more than anything, is crush the idea that you need a big time OOC game.  Back when it was just a two team BCS winner take all game, often it was the SOS, made by playing a big OOC game, that made the difference. Now, you do not need that type of game. 

If you beat a big-time OOC team, its still going to help you in the end.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on January 13, 2015, 10:06:56 am

maybe the strength of the sec schedule is currently more myth than reality. The sec has been given the benefit of the doubt in rankings for quite some time now, and until recently it was deserved. The last two bowl seasons when the sec best played other conferences best the sec team lost. What does that say then about the middle tier sec teams that didn't beat the top teams?
This is fun, isn't it.

riccoar

I agree with the outcome.  If any team did not deserve to be there, it was FSU.  I think its safe to say the committee had no choice after they went undefeated and won their conference championship game.  Both TCU and Baylor would have beat FSU, but the Big12 has no body to blame but Texas.

Sportster365

Quote from: latrops on January 13, 2015, 09:50:33 am
Bama is usually #1 in the recruiting rankings every year.  Guys like Tenpenny go there to sit the bench.  They wanted to grayshirt Philon, which led to him coming here.  I'm not feeling sorry for them and their lack of depth at linebacker.

Ohio State had some injuries, too...most notably at qb.  Their backups came in and played well.  They were absolutely rolling at the end of the season and earned this championship.

Your argument that Ohio State got in on a soft schedule wouldn't hold much water with anyone other than SEC homers.  They had VaTech and Cincinnati out of conference and played at Minnesota, at Michigan State, at Penn State, and against Wisconsin in the championship game.  Looking at the polls and bowl results, the case for SEC superiority is not as strong as some believe....at least not this year.

The SEC W finished the regular season with a 28-0 non-conference record.
The East went uncontested in bowl match ups
Bama lost by 7
Auburn lost by 3
LSU lost by 3

The 2 Mississippi schools were the only 2 SEC teams to have failed miserably. As long as the SEC remains a recruiting hot bed for talented players and coaches... it will remain the dominant conference.

Sportster365

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 10:05:23 am
And how do we know how strong or weak schedules are until the bowl games, when teams step outside their conferences and play good teams from other leagues?

Take a look at Alabama's schedule and tell everyone how tough it looks right now...after the bowls...compared to how tough everyone THOUGHT it was when the games were played.  The teams they beat this year were:

West Virginia
Florida Atlantic
Southern Miss
Florida
Arkansas
Texas A&M
Tennessee
LSU
Mississippi State
Western Carolina
Auburn
Missouri

When they beat Mississippi State the mantra was "they just beat the number one team in the country!"  Really?  Georgia Tech didn't seem to think so.  They outlasted Auburn, the same Auburn team that lost to Wisconsin...who was hammered 59-0 by Ohio State in their previous game.

Maybe that schedule wasn't quite as difficult as everyone seemed to think.

How can anyone claim that placing teams in a championship game based on "we all know they are the best" is a better method of determining a champion than settling it on the field?

Are you kidding me, GT lost to Duke and North Carolina

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on January 13, 2015, 10:13:55 am
maybe the strength of the sec schedule is currently more myth than reality. The sec has been given the benefit of the doubt in rankings for quite some time now, and until recently it was deserved. The last two bowl seasons when the sec best played other conferences best the sec team lost. What does that say then about the middle tier sec teams that didn't beat the top teams?

The top of the SEC is no better than the top of the BIG or the Big12 or the PAC12. Not based on a bowl game but just that the top teams in each league are pretty darn good.  The strength of the SEC is top to bottom though. 12 Bowl teams, and a 7-5 record in those 12 games, and two of those loses were very close ( LSU and Auburn ). I mean the last place team in the SEC west made a Texas team look pathetic, beat them down, and made them quit.

latrops

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 13, 2015, 10:05:23 am

But the SEC didn't win, and the only way that happens is if the system is configured against us.

swinemaster

Quote from: Sportster365 on January 13, 2015, 10:20:45 am
Are you kidding me, GT lost to Duke and North Carolina

That proves his point even more.  A team that lost to Duke and North Carolina just dominated one of the best teams in the SEC.  The SEC was down this year.  The bowl games showed that.  The rankings during the season and the perception of the SEC was flawed this year. 

Because of the playoff, we got a true champion.  Not the winner of Bama vs. Florida St.

I think it worked perfectly.

And as someone who traveled across country to watch the Hogs play a bowl game, I don't think it is feasible to go to 8 teams which would add another game for fans and students to try and get to.  The money is out of control.

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogfaniam

Quote from: swinemaster on January 13, 2015, 10:30:36 am
That proves his point even more.  A team that lost to Duke and North Carolina just dominated one of the best teams in the SEC.  The SEC was down this year.  The bowl games showed that.  The rankings during the season and the perception of the SEC was flawed this year. 

Because of the playoff, we got a true champion.  Not the winner of Bama vs. Florida St.

I think it worked perfectly.

And as someone who traveled across country to watch the Hogs play a bowl game, I don't think it is feasible to go to 8 teams which would add another game for fans and students to try and get to.  The money is out of control.

Play on campus
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"