Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

South Carolina v. Iowa State @Barclay's Center in Brooklyn

Started by jbcarol, January 03, 2015, 07:05:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Danny J

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Fouled by Long with :13 to go

Thornwell's 1st FT is good

jbcarol

jbcarol

David Cloninger @DCTheState  ·  13 seconds ago
MEN'S FINAL: South Carolina 64, No. 9 Iowa State 60. USC improves to 9-3 and won its first game over a Top-10 opponent since 2010 (Kentucky).

jbcarol

David Cloninger @DCTheState  ·  5 minutes ago
The Gamecocks have won seven straight, their longest winning streak since winning eight straight in 2003-04, their last NCAA tournament year

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

dhizzle

jbcarol

Best Wins for South Carolina based on opponents RPI and location

38   Jan. 6   v.IOWAST   W64-60 in Brooklyn
50   Dec. 6   OKLAST   W75-49
142   Dec. 19   CLEM   W68-45
195   Nov. 14   UNF   W81-56
217   Nov. 20   v. CORN   W69-45

PonderinHog

Danny J

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 03, 2015, 07:24:02 pm
ISU 1 of 18 from three and 57% from the line ???
Sounds a lot like us....great at home and struggle on the road.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

jbcarol

David Cloninger @DCTheState  ·  11 minutes ago
SHOCKER: Gamecocks stun No. 9 Iowa State -- http://www.gogamecocks.com/2015/01/03/665193_shocker-gamecocks-stun-no-9-cyclones.html

QuoteAt Brooklyn, South Carolina pulled off the biggest win of Frank Martin's tenure with an upset of No. 9 Iowa State on Saturday, 64-60.

Sindarius Thornwell hit two free throws for a four-point advantage in a game the Gamecocks barely trailed, then stripped Naz Long with 12.5 seconds to play.

Immediately fouled, Thornwell hit one free throw, then Long missed a 3-pointer. With the ball and only four seconds to go, Bryce Dejean-Jones missed another 3, awarding USC (9-3) a win over a Top-10 opponent for the first time since knocking off No. 1 Kentucky in 2010 and its longest winning streak (seven) since 2003-04, the last time it made the NCAA tournament.

Iowa State only made 1-of-18 3-point attempts, Long finally swishing one with 47.6 seconds to play and the Gamecocks nursing a six-point lead...

jbcarol

Gamecock MBB @GamecockMBB  ·  39 minutes ago
First neutral site win over a ranked opponent since defeating No. 14 Tennessee in the SEC Tournament on March 10, 2006 #Gamecocks

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  2 hours ago
Love Frank Martin at halftime. Steve Lappas asked him difference between 1st 15 min and last 5. "My point guard just lost his mind."

Letsroll1200

Good news for the SEC! The SEC race is going to be a battle.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on January 03, 2015, 08:15:27 pm
Bad news hogs have to go to columbia
Only road game I am optimistic about is MSU. Have to find a way to win 2 others minimum plus win out at home. I am really worried about our pressing and the amount of easy buckets it is leading to. It looks like a sieve. 

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Kevin on January 03, 2015, 08:15:27 pm
Bad news hogs have to go to columbia

Why do people always assume things like this? Just because someone beats someone else, we have no chance? We had zero chance of beating Kentucky last year. Right?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 03, 2015, 08:23:24 pm
Why do people always assume things like this? Just because someone beats someone else, we have no chance? We had zero chance of beating Kentucky last year. Right?

Good matchups. Frank Martin is not a good matchup for MA.
[CENSORED]!

Paul

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2015, 08:49:20 pm
. Good point. They beat us last year with a horrible team.  His teams always play hard.

Rawker

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2015, 08:49:20 pm

I respectfully disagree with this notion.  Anderson is 5-6 against Martin to the tune of a missed layup by Portis in the SEC tourney.  I wouldn't call that a bad matchup.  It's been shown to be pretty much dead even...as was the case when I read this blog analysis as an Anderson watcher in 2011:
http://nicksloan212.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/186/

Now, given my obvious homerism and CMA fandom, I have @SC as a loss and I just HOPE the Hogs can beat them at home.

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

jry04

We will split with SC this year, and it won't be that big of a deal.

Just because SC beat ISU does not mean we will not beat SC. That is not how college basketball works, and anyone who thinks that does not have very much common sense.

nextlevel

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2015, 09:10:37 pm
If you normalize for talent levels...

Are you trying to say Martin does more with less?

Does he also lead the band after victories?
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jry04 on January 03, 2015, 10:04:20 pm
We will split with SC this year, and it won't be that big of a deal.

Just because SC beat ISU does not mean we will not beat SC. That is not how college basketball works, and anyone who thinks that does not have very much common sense.

It is all about style. On the road, Arkansas will lose to South Carolina and lose convincingly. The Hogs do not have the guard play to deal with South Carolina's style on the road.
[CENSORED]!

choppedporkextrasauce

Iowa St wasn't at home and they weren't just coming off a loss. We met them at a bad time. SC met them at a good time. Frank Martin will eventually fail at SC because he cannot change the culture.

jbcarol

Danny J

Carolina is hosting the Gators at 6 on SECn. Should be a hell of a game. I love the SECn. So many games now available that wouldn't otherwise be.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanESPN  ·  22 hours ago
Iowa State takes care of Kansas at Hilton. Big 12 title still goes thru Lawrence, but league race should be fun to watch.

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  18 minutes ago
Welp. Iowa State on the verge of the worst loss of the year by a top-10 team. It already had the second-worst (South Carolina).

TexasTech Basketball @TexasTechMBB  ·  7 minutes ago
MBB: Tech 78, #9 Iowa State 73. This is the biggest upset for Texas Tech since beating #9 Kansas, 84-65, on March 4, 2009. #WreckEm

jbcarol

No. 15 Iowa State holds on to beat No. 19 Texas

QuoteIowa State has had some sluggish starts this season and it's come back to bite them on a few of its losses like this past weekend against Texas Tech. But the No. 15 Cyclones started the game on a 10-2 run and had a comfortable lead for much of the game as they held on for a 89-86 win over No. 19 Texas.

By moving the ball incredibly well as a team and limiting turnovers for much of the game, Iowa State won its sixth straight home game over a ranked opponent as its offense did seemingly whatever it wanted against the Longhorns. The Cyclones had 20 assists to only six turnovers on Monday as all five starters had at least two helpers.

Texas made a late-game 10-2 run to cut Iowa State's lead to six with 2:04 left and cut it to a one-possession game at 87-84 with 21 seconds left.  The Cyclones, however, made just enough free throws to close the game out after leading by as many as 21 points.