Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida Gator Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, November 17, 2014, 09:04:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Luke Stampini @LukeStampini  ·  16 hours ago

Georgia commit Shaquery Wilson says Florida will get his final visit...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  11 minutes ago

#Gators will land LB Rayshad Jackson on Sunday. RT @nafpaktian: Hey @ZachAbolverdi any predictions on new commitments to UF soon?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

John Talty @JTalty  ·  8 minutes ago
I think a slam dunk hire could have netted UF Cowart, Ivey, Holland and Jefferson. With McElwain, Ivey is only one looking great right now.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  2 hours ago
Five-star DE Byron Cowart leaves #UF visit early | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19972/cowart-leaves-uf-visit-early ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteOfficial visits can last no longer than 48 hours on a college campus for recruits, but five-star defensive end Byron Cowart only spent a fourth of that time at Florida this weekend.

Cowart, who is ranked the nation's No. 1 overall prospect by ESPN and Rivals, didn't arrive in Gainesville for his official visit until shortly after midnight Saturday due to his basketball game Friday night.

But less than 12 hours later, Cowart and his mother left for Tampa at noon. According to ESPN's Derek Tyson, his mom was called in to work.

Calls and texts made to Cowart by The Sun were not immediately returned Saturday. Tyson and sources close to The Sun said Cowart told the UF coaching staff heading into the weekend there was a chance his trip would be cut short.

Now, Cowart could have chosen to stay in Gainesville despite his mother having to leave early and just got a ride back home Sunday. However, he told The Sun beforehand his only reason for taking the visit was his mom.

Sources told The Sun his mother spent all morning with the coaches Saturday, much like they on the first day of the contact period. Once her meeting was finished and she had to go in to work, perhaps Cowart felt he didn't need to stay.

There's no denying it would have been beneficial for Florida to have him on campus all weekend, and that missed time could hurt Jim McElwain and his staff down the stretch...

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  38 minutes ago
Philly DE Shareef Miller, who is/was scheduled to be at UF next weekend, committed to Penn State today during his official visit there.

jbcarol

Rayshad Jackson @SpaceGhost_11  ·  2 hours ago
I'm very glad to say I'm committed to my childhood team ...University Of Florida🐊🙏🏈 #GatorNation #GoGator

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  3 hours ago
LB Rayshad Jackson tells me he has committed to #Gators. Just left his #UF official visit.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  17 hours ago

Florida's latest commits Rayshad Jackson, Jabari Zuniga and Rick Wells all share one thing in common — they're really, really great kids.

jbcarol

Sentinel Recruiting @OS_Recruiting  ·  20 hours ago

CeCe Jefferson taking quick trip to #Gainesville tonight http://fw.to/WfGKCXM  @cecejefferson7 #Florida #Gators

January 29th @cecejeferson7  ·  21 hours ago

Bout to head to Gainesville in a lil bit

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  18 minutes ago

RT @GGRobinson85: Rumors of me canceling Florida visit to go to AU are false. Auburn offered too late for me. I'm still going to UF on Fri.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  21 hours ago

I still don't understand how state of Florida has twice D1 signees as Georgia, yet it seems like #Gators coaches spent whole wk in Atlanta

jbcarol

3-star St. Thomas Aquinas DT Richerd Desir-Jones gave a verbal to the Gators.

jbcarol

3-star 6-7, biscuit over 3 bills, West Palm Beach Royal OT Frederic Johnson gave a verbal to Florida.

jbcarol

6-5 Sebring DE Luke Ancrum gave a verbal to Florida.  3-star on the 247 composite is unrated by 247.

jbcarol

Sticking with my #UF prediction for Jordan Scarlett. Think #Gators get him and Chris Williamson today. Not sure on G.G. Robinson, toss up.

Scarlett is a 4-star RB from St. Thomas Aquinas

Williamson is a 3-star WR/CB from Gainesville, GA

Of course Robinson is a Parkview DE who has been committed to UofL.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  27 seconds ago
I truly don't understand why Florida #Gators have struggled so much with recruiting this year. I think recruits are looking at it wrong

There may not be a better opportunity anywhere in SEC for freshmen to play ... than Florida. Do kids see that?

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  9 seconds ago
.@ArmyAllAmerican RB Jordan Scarlett selects #UF over #FSU. A big #ChompChomp for @CoachMcElwain and his staff. #Gators now have 15 commits.

jbcarol

#UF has flipped safety Kylan Johnson (@shotime_kc) from Kansas State. He officially visited #Gators over the weekend & gives them 14 commits

New #Gators commit Kylan Johnson (@shotime_kc) will be the first recruit from Texas to sign with #UF since 2008.

jbcarol

Morgan Moriarty @Morgan_Moriarty  ·  5 hours ago
Per http://Rivals.com , Florida's 2015 class now jumps to the No. 63rd class in the country. Big jump following Scarlett's announcement.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  29 minutes ago
#Gators competing with Muschamp on NSD as McElwain wraps up his 2015 class | http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20150203/ARTICLES/150209895?tc=cr ... via @Gator_sports

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  6 minutes ago

Five-star DE Byron Cowart commits to #Auburn over #UF.

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  9 minutes ago

DE Luke Ancrum is in for #UF | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/20062/nsd-live-blog-2/?tc=ar ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  47 minutes ago

The flip is official. RT @LSUfball: Welcome the newest #LSU Tiger: Derrick Dillon! http://LSUsports.net/signingday 

jbcarol

Josh Kendall @JoshatTheState  ·  3 hours ago

Hasn't everybody? RT @jzenor: LB Jeffery Holland picks Auburn over Florida.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  2 minutes ago

D'Anfernee McGriff to #UF. Wow.

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo  ·  37 minutes ago

In last 3 years, only Alabama (Eight) has more 5-star recruits than Florida (5 – including Martez Ivey, CeCe Jefferson today)

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  32 minutes ago

McElwain talking about flips and silent verbals: "You guys call them commitments. I think reservations is the way to put it."

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  17 hours ago

Gators' signing day gets a lot better with two 5-star signees. Jim McElwain's class sits at 20th nationally. Solid 1st-year class for Mac.

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  11 hours ago

Stepped away from my computer for 10 minutes, anyone know the latest on CeCe Jefferson?

jbcarol

Thomas Goldkamp @ThomasGoldkamp  ·  45 minutes ago

Terrell Williams a very good developer on D-line, but from everything I've heard about the two, Chris Rumph an upgrade as recruiter.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  3 hours ago

CeCe Jefferson officially signed, sealed and delivered to #UF | http://bit.ly/1xYu0Kg  via @Gator_sports #Gators

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  31 minutes ago

Jim McElwain's 2016 class is critical for Florida http://es.pn/1AgHdUy

QuoteMcElwain has yet to name a starting quarterback, let alone coach a single moment of practice, but in a fast-paced, cutthroat college football society, he and his coaches can't waste any time getting some sort of time with this 2016 class, which really could make or break McElwain's time at Florida. That might sound harsh or even like a bit of hyperbole, but look where Florida's program is now and look at the SEC around it. You can't afford to be a weak link in a conference as cannibalistic as the SEC.

What McElwain got in his first class with the Gators was a mixed bag -- some contents quality, some unknown. Landing immediate-impact five-star prospects Martez Ivey (offensive tackle) and CeCe Jefferson (defensive end) and playmaking hopefuls like running back Jordan Scarlett, wide receiver Antonio Callaway, and athletes D'Anfernee McGriff, Jordan Cronkrite and Chris Williamson gives the Gators a solid early foundation to work with, but it's no secret Florida needs more star power in its 2016 class...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on February 10, 2015, 11:51:30 am
ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  31 minutes ago

Jim McElwain's 2016 class is critical for Florida http://es.pn/1AgHdUy

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 14h14 hours ago

WR Josh Hammond (6-1, 180) has committed to #UF. Brother of former #Gators WR Frankie Hammond.

Joshua Hammond ‏@J_Hammond5 14h14 hours ago

After talking it over with my family. I am truly blessed to announce that I am committed to the University of Florida #GoGators #Blessed

Frankie Hammond Jr ‏@FHammond85 14h14 hours ago

Lil Bruh @J_Hammond5 on his way to be a Gator...!!! #HotLightHammond2 🐊🍩🐊🍩🐊

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 14h14 hours ago

#UF now has the nation's No. 10 class on 247Sports. Patience, #Gators fans.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi  12m12 minutes ago
Deerfield Beach DB Aaron Robinson has committed to #Gators after camping at #UF.

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi  6m6 minutes ago
Just interviewed 2017 WR Lavarus Tigner, another Deerfield Beach camper to commit to #UF tonight. #Gators

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 18m18 minutes ago

Recapping Florida's national signing day http://es.pn/23UI0bp

QuoteMcElwain's second recruiting class at Florida received mixed reviews from fans. While the Gators added 12 very important early enrollees, this staff didn't exactly close as well as it would have liked. One thing's for sure, though, this staff hit the offensive side of the ball very hard.

...The biggest get was former Houston commit Tyrie Cleveland, who was the nation's No. 4 receiver and flipped to the Gators on national signing day.

jbcarol

び Big 10 び ‏@gloryboy_Sean 50m50 minutes ago Norland, FL

Once you commit you're no longer popular bc you're no longer news. Guys with egos struggle with this & guys without could care less.🏈

-- Vosean Joseph

jbcarol

In McElwain's first full recruiting cycle, the Gators had the core of their 2016 class in place by mid-December with commitments from 23 of their 25 signees, including a school-record 12 early enrollees.

QuoteUF coaches visited more than 40 recruits for 2017 and 2018 in January.

"We already have great momentum on '17 and '18," McElwain said. "I'm really excited about that, just the way we were able to kind of get an earlier start with all the guys and build relationships."

McElwain did not have the luxury of an early start on 2016 prospects. He was handicapped in recruiting when he became Florida's coach in December 2014.

UF only had eight commitments with less two months remaining in the 2015 cycle...

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2m2 minutes ago

Gators lead for a pair of Top247 recruits http://sec.news/1SWhhrv

QuoteCB Latavious Brini (Hialeah, Fla.) and DT Aubrey Solomon (Leesburg, Ga.) both attended Florida's Junior Day on Jan. 30 and put the Gators on top after their visits.

"I liked it, I really did," Solomon said of the trip. "They really made me feel welcomed. To me, they sit on top right now. I really like what they did. I just like what they do, so they're at the top for sure."

Kentucky was the leader for Brini heading into his visit to UF, but that changed after getting offered personally by Jim McElwain.

"Right now, it's Florida," Brini said when asked for his leader. "The coaches had great energy. The staff was great. It's the type of staff you can talk to and have a great conversation with.

"The head coach sat us down, talked and said, 'You know you got this offer. You're a great student and I love your highlight.' I was like, 'oh DBU,' that's all I thought running through my head. Florida is great in defense and great in education."

Brini has gained eight more offers since receiving one from Florida, including Arkansas, LSU and Miami. Most sites have yet to rate him, but he's now a four-star recruit and the nation's No. 15 cornerback on 247Sports.

Solomon is also the 15th-ranked prospect at his position by 247Sports, but he's the No. 5 defensive tackle in the industry-generated composite rankings...

Both Brini and Solomon told SEC Country they're taking their recruitments slow and will wait to decide.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 2h2 hours ago

Gators working to flip five-star #Auburn commit http://sec.news/1XEYnUW

QuoteFlorida is trying to flip five-star prospect Calvin Ashley, who committed to Auburn last spring. The nation's No. 2 offensive tackle from Orlando (Fla.) First Academy visited UF on Saturday.

"It was great," Ashley said. "I got here, the coaches welcomed me in. It's just great to be back here. It's a short ride.

"I really like Florida and the facilities. It's just beautiful. They've got a great indoor facility they just built."

Ashley described this trip to Florida as "different" than his previous ones. The 6-foot-6, 330-pounder said he got a better feel for the program and spent more one-on-one time with Gators coach Jim McElwain and his staff.

"Coach Mac, we sat down and talked about life and just football and being here at Florida, new things they've got going," he said. "And they want to win a national championship.

"I got to sit down and talk to the coaches more, got to go through plays and stuff, got to actually talk to the whole coaching staff individually. It was a great thing to do with my parents."

Spent time with O-line coach Mike Summers, the former Razorback O-line coach who happens to be the son-in-law of former UK basketball coach Joe B. Hall.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC ‏@ESPN_SEC 2h2 hours ago

Florida coach Jim McElwain recruiting Q&A http://es.pn/1OTAcuZ

QuoteMcElwain: I think we are definitely making up ground. We struck on some pretty good guys that first year, especially for how late we got a jump on it. We landed some guys that fit some specific needs. Having a full year and now another cycle with a crew of 17's that we were able to start on as far as identification more than anything and where our roster needed some holes to be filled. Obviously there were some good players here, let's call it the way it is. That's a good thing, but on the flip side of that we knew there was a need to bring in some numbers at certain spots. We've answered some of that.

I'd say the biggest thing for us was saving up those mid-year spots and being actually to put some quality players in those mid-year spots. We brought in 12 of our signing class, so half of our signing class is here for spring practice at some real need areas. That's the exciting piece. Getting them here early, identifying who and getting them convinced to come.

jbcarol

The numbers will work out for Jim. They always do.

It may be tough for the Gators to pull a top-five class this year because of numbers. Only 13 scholarships are available for 2017 at this time, so UF probably won't sign more than 20 prospects.

QuoteI do think with the potential losses on defense after next season, UF has a better chance of playing for a natty this year than in 2017. And with the titles of '96 and '06, maybe the Gators are due for one again.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi ‏@ZachAbolverdi 23h23 hours ago

Latest edition of Zach's Mail Stack http://sec.news/1ZSb3c7

Quotethink these are the No. 1 targets for Florida at each position:

QB – Jake Allen (Florida commit)
RB – Adarius Lemons (North Carolina commit)
WR – Donovan Peoples-Jones
TE – Tre' McKitty
OL – Calvin Ashley (Auburn commit)
DT – Aubrey Solomon
DE – Jarez Parks
LB – K.J. Britt
CB – Shaun Wade (Ohio State commit)
S – Xavier McKinney (Alabama commit)
ATH – Devan Barrett

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/721689821509480449

QuoteIn-state prospects will always be the priority for the Gators, but they're starting to show the ability to recruit nationally as well. UF coach Jim McElwain and his staff expanded Florida's recruiting footprint in the last class, and the envelope is being pushed even more for the 2017 cycle.

In the past two years, McElwain has landed three players from both Alabama and Texas. He also signed a prospect from Mississippi and Michigan, two states that don't typically produce players for the Gators.

"There were some guys in particular that we evaluated and felt like they were in need positions for us," McElwain said on signing day.

During the six-year period from 2003-08, the Gators signed a total of eight players from talent-rich Texas and five players out of Alabama, many of them a by-product of Florida's 2006 and 2008 national championships.

But in the six years following those title runs, UF signed just two Alabama prospects and zero from Texas.

jbcarol

Florida coaches to visit more than 300 in-state high schools this week

QuoteUF coaching staff hits the road Monday for the first time in the evaluation period, and they'll be hammering the state of Florida.

UF coach Jim McElwain wants SEC-caliber athletes in Florida to stay in their home state and play for the Gators.

"We've still got a long ways to go, but we'll continue to work that in all those areas," McElwain said of in-state recruiting on signing day. "That's something we still need to get better at, and we'll keep working at it."

All nine assistants will be in a specified area each day, and they're scheduled to visit more than 300 high schools this week to evaluate 2017, 2018 and 2019 recruits.

Here's a breakdown of the areas they will focus on:

Monday: Central Florida and Jacksonville
Tuesday: Southwest Florida and Fort Myers, where McElwain will be speaking
Wednesday: Polk County, St. Petersburg and Tampa, where McElwain will be speaking
Thursday and Friday: South Florida and the Panhandle

On Monday, offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier and defensive line coach Chris Rumph are attending practice at IMG Academy, where they will see the likes of five-star linebacker Dylan Moses, five-star defensive end Joshua Kaindoh, ...

jbcarol

Three-star athlete Kadarius Toney became the latest recruit to give his pledge to Florida

Quote6-foot-1, 185-pounder plays quarterback for Blount High School (Eight Mile, Ala.), but committed to the Gators as an athlete. Toney holds eight reported offers and chose UF over Georgia Tech and South Carolina, among others. He becomes the fifth member of the Gators' 2017 recruiting class and the first from outside the state of Florida.

Toney is rated as the nation's No. 16 dual-threat quarterback and the state of Alabama's No. 33 prospect

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Gators picked up a commitment from three-star defensive tackle Jordon Scott

Quote6-foot-1, 345-pound prospect from Largo, Fla., is rated as the No. 60 defensive tackle nationally in the Class of 2017. He had reported offers from SEC counterparts Kentucky, Ole Miss and Tennessee...

McElwain now has six pledges for next year's class.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jordan Pouncey's Florida ties not enough as he commits to Notre Dame

QuoteJordan Pouncey's cousins, Maurkice and Mike, both starred as Florida Gators, but it does not appear that the 3-star athlete from Winter Park, Fla. will be following in their footsteps.

Pouncey committed to Notre Dame on Saturday, according to reports, just days after telling SEC Country that he had no timetable for a decision.

"When I was a little kid I use to watch the movie Rudy at least once a week," Jordan Pouncey said.

Pouncey, who plays both as a wide receiver and defensive back, is expected to play on the offensive side of the ball, according to the Rivals report. That's the position Pouncey prefers.