Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Florida Gator Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, November 17, 2014, 09:04:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Ben Roberts @NextCats  ·  23 hours ago

Here's what Florida's recruiting class looks like: https://rivals.yahoo.com/florida/football/recruiting/commitments/2015/florida-67 ... Just 9 commits. #72 nationally. UK still recruiting George Brown.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

No wonder they decided to go ahead and announce the coaching change now.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  46 minutes ago

Foley, Muschamp discuss #UF football recruiting | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19560/foley-muschamp-discuss-recruiting/ ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteAs Florida athletics director Jeremy Foley begins his search for the next football coach, worrying about recruiting is not high on his priority list.

But given how poorly UF has recruited for 2015, Foley knows that it's imperative to turn things around as soon as possible.

Recruiting classes usually aren't good during a transitional year, and it doesn't help that the Gators were already struggling before Will Muschamp was fired.

"There is no question anytime there is a coaching change, it's difficult in recruiting," Foley said. "Signing day is not until February. You can't rush this. At the end of the day, it's still the University of Florida. We got a lot to offer up here. I think we have an opportunity here and a new coach will get in here, but recruiting is about relationships. You've heard Will talk about it and Urban (Meyer) talk about it. That's the way it is.

"A new coach coming in here obviously will be a little behind the eight ball, but you're not going to rush it because of recruiting. Recruiting is important. But we'll get a coach in here with plenty of time to go visit (recruits) and convince some folks that this is a good place to be, because it is a good place to be. We've got a lot to offer, and that has not changed. But right now, there's an unknown. How do you answer the question, 'Who's my new coach?' You can't answer that right now."

Muschamp said he won't be involved in Florida's recruiting efforts for the rest of this month and beyond, but he'll still promote UF to prospects whenever they speak to him.

"The assistant coaches will continue the recruiting process," Muschamp said.

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  6 hours ago

Foley wants to have a coach hired by Christmas.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  17 hours ago

I expect #UF juniors Dante Fowler Jr., Jon Bullard, Antonio Morrison and Matt Jones to leave early for the NFL. #Gators

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  17 hours ago

RT "@TheDanteFowler6: I came in with champ. I'm leaving with Him."

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2 hours ago

#Auburn, Florida 5-star target Martez Ivey discusses Will Muschamp's departure http://ow.ly/EyhMn

QuoteGatorBait.net recently caught up with Ivey, who is ranked as the nation's No. 2 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite, to discuss Muschamp's departure and how it affects his recruitment.

"What can you do?" Ivey said. "Football is football, you win some, you lose some. I haven't talked to nobody at UF since then, or anybody really. I don't know what they are going to do with their staff or if they are going to keep their staff or not. I haven't really talked to them after Muschamp got fired. I don't know, I'll just wait a while and see what happens."

The Apopka, Fla., native grew up a Gators fan and said he knows enough about the school and program to make a decision without a head coach, but would prefer not to.

"That's like the heart of your program, who are they going to bring in and how they are going to change up the game plan," he said.

Ivey has already taken official visits to Florida and Auburn and is planning one to LSU Dec. 6...

jackflash

I feel if the right coach is hired here. He will have a good class to much talent in Florida not to.

jbcarol

Riley Blevins @Riley_Blevins  ·  8 hours ago

Florida commit plans MSU visit RT @MADDAWG_G: Can't Wait To Hear Those Cow Bells 🐶🔔

Winton Woods lineman George Brown Jr who had an animal handler bring in a gator-like reptile for his verbal commitment announcement.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  10 hours ago

Zach's Mail Stack 11/20 | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19578/zachs-mail-stack-1120/ ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteWhich recruits do you see flipping or going elsewhere with the departure of Will Muschamp?

Of the nine verbal commitments, quarterback Sheriron Jones, wide receiver Derrick Dillon and offensive linemen George Brown and Mike Horton are the ones to watch out for.

Nebraska doesn't have a quarterback for 2015 and has turned up the heat on Jones, who already wanted to go on visits before Muschamp was fired. Dillon has also wanted to take some trips, and I expect him to follow through with those plans while waiting to see who Jeremy Foley hires.

Horton visited Tennessee last Saturday and Brown will officially visit Mississippi State this weekend. While both linemen have several offers, it's unclear how many other schools would be willing to take them at this time. They're more likely to stick with Florida than flip elsewhere, but their recruitments are worth monitoring nonetheless.

As for the uncommitted UF targets, Muschamp personally recruited all of them in some capacity. Defensive prospects will be affected most by his departure.

Five-star defensive ends Byron Cowart and CeCe Jefferson are the obvious names to point out, and both had a close relationship with Muschamp.

Linebacker Roquan Smith is another recruit who's been impacted by Muschamp's firing. Unless Smith loves the next guy and the defensive staff he puts together, a commitment from him is unlikely.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  10 hours ago
No surprise, but this is the worst tailgating scene I've seen outside of The Swamp in years. Should be packed for the next home game.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  Nov 25

ICYMI: With the recent attrition, more than a dozen recruits can now join UF's 2015 class | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19587/more-than-a-dozen-recruits-can-join-ufs-class/ ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteWith 17 seniors and 81 scholarship players excluding former walk-ons, and following the early departure news from juniors Dante Fowler Jr. and Tyler Moore, and with more expected to follow suit, UF will likely have the ability to bring in a full class of 25.

Jon Bullard, D.J. Humphries, Matt Jones and Antonio Morrison are also thinking about forgoing their senior seasons for the NFL draft, and Jeff Driskel may not return to Florida next year.

If two of those five players go, UF would have 25 scholarships available for 2015. If more than two leave or there's any transfers after the season, the Gators could sign over 25 and count their early enrollees in January toward the 2014 class (depending on how much extra room they have and how many midyear recruits they enroll).

The likelihood of the new coach signing the maximum number of prospects he can is doubtful, but not being strapped for scholarships should help his recruiting efforts in the last month and a half before signing day.

He won't have to be as selective about expanding Florida's recruiting board, handing out new offers and taking commitments. That being said, a couple spots will probably be saved for 2016 and the full year of recruiting ahead for that cycle...

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  35 minutes ago
Watching Texas-TCU tonight, a game featuring one coach who should have been at Florida and another who could be.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  Nov 26
#UF commit of the week: QB Sheriron Jones http://bit.ly/120SRUZ  via @Gator_sports #Gators

jbcarol

How much will the outcome of the Florida State game affect recruiting? If it's close or the Gators win, who will be the most affected? — This season's game probably doesn't hold as much recruiting weight as in years past. Florida State is the defending national champions and in line for another title shot, while UF went 4-8 in 2013 and has a lame duck coach.

Recruits understand these programs are on different levels right now, and they don't need this game as a measuring stick.

A loss by the Gators may be viewed as insignificant by some because they know change is coming to Gainesville.

The same can be said about a Florida win...

QuoteTo what extent would recruits be drawn to UF simply based on a heading coach search?

A big-time hire would definitely garner some optimism and excitement, and it might even spark interest in a few kids who aren't considering the Gators at this time. Until then, however, recruits are just intrigued about who the next coach will be and what direction he'll want to take the program...

Cowart told me after Muschamp was fired that the Gators showed him they're "serious about their football." And he meant it in a good way.

How much thought is going into hiring a coach sooner rather than later to salvage a decent recruiting class? — Jeremy Foley won't rush his hire to salvage Florida's 2015 class, but he keeps up with college football recruiting more than most athletic directors and wants the Gators to do well.

Foley sent a letter to all of UF's commits last week, urging them to stick with their pledges and stay patient as he finds their future coach.

We know about the big time prospects, but what underappreciated prospects could UF land? —  running back Jordan Cronkrite, wide receiever Tristan Payton (former UF and current USC commit), tight end Daniel Imatorbhebhe, offensive tackle Fred Johnson, linebackers Darrien McNair (Mississippi State commit), Charles Perry (Miami commit) and Zedrick Woods (Ole Miss commit) and cornerbacks Mike Hughes and Jeremy McDuffie.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  20 hours ago

Jim McElwain, Florida have recruiting ground to make up http://es.pn/1zpf7mN

QuoteFlorida, however, has only nine commitments in its 2015 class, which is last in the SEC.

With Muschamp's job in limbo the last half of the season, the Gators found it difficult to land some of the prized recruits who were high on Florida early in the process. Top offensive targets like Ray-Ray McCloud III, Deon Cain and George Campbell committed to other schools, while prospects such as five-stars Byron Cowart, Martez Ivey and CeCe Jefferson waited to see how the coaching situation played out.

Now that McElwain is on board, Florida will turn its attention to hiring a coaching staff and to recruiting. Several key targets are still on the Gators' recruiting board.

Specific targeted players are listed in a subscription article.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  11 hours ago

Recruits have their answer on who will coach UF in 2015. Now what? | http://bit.ly/12B0kva  via @Gator_sports

QuoteGators hired Colorado State's Jim McElwain, who has an impressive track record as a coach but isn't a well-known name in recruiting — at least with the kids being targeted by the Gators in this class.

McElwain hasn't recruited high-profile prospects in the state of Florida since 2011, his last year as Alabama's offensive coordinator. But he landed some elite Sunshine State recruits when he was with the Tide, including NFL first-round pick Ha'Sean "Ha Ha" Clinton-Dix out of Orlando Dr. Phillips. [Another Doc Phillips product, Dee Hart transferred to Colorado State to star for McElwain.]

Five-star defensive end CeCe Jefferson, who hosted three UF assistants on an in-home visit Monday, spoke highly of the hire.

"That's awesome," Jefferson said when informed of the McElwain news. "I think it's a pretty good move. He's coached under (Nick) Saban, so he has the experience. We'll see what he's bringing to the table."

In-state running backs Jordan Cronkrite, Clemson commit Ray-Ray McCloud III and Miami commit Jordan Scarlett all called McElwain a great choice for Florida, though McCloud said he was solid to the Tigers.

Gators offensive line commit Tyler Jordan said anyone who does research on McElwain will be impressed.

"It's a good hire," the Under Armour All-American said. "He's a good coach who has been at the highest level before and has won championships with his offense."

While McElwain is liked by recruits who are aware of his previous success, many have yet to do their homework on him.

Gators OL commits George Brown and Brandon Sandifer said they don't know much about the new UF coach, but they will soon and look forward to meeting him.

Two of Florida's top targets, five-star defensive end Byron Cowart and Rivals100 receiver Ryan Davis, said they aren't familiar with McElwain, but both trust the decision by athletics director Jeremy Foley.

The Gators currently have nine members in their 2015 class and room for at least 15 more.

McElwain will be on road recruiting Monday for the last week of the contact period, which resumes Jan. 15...

jbcarol

George Brown, Jr. the Winton Woods OT who had a company bring a gator-like reptile to his commitment ceremony has flipped to LSU.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  8 hours ago
RT @DerekTysonESPN: Florida head coach Jim McElwain is set to visit Byron Cowart, Ray-Ray McCloud and Auden Tate today. #Gators

jbcarol

Pat Dooley @pat_dooley  ·  Dec 8

McElwain attempts to salvage class: The Back Nine comes at you after a crazy weekend that finally brought clar... http://bit.ly/1IrESsx

QuoteI've had a hundred people ask me what I think of Florida's new coach Jim McElwain and I tell them all the same thing. He seems like a great guy. Now go win some football games. I mean, I liked Will Muschamp, too. But no matter what happens with his staff or his game plans or his dog or what kind of car he drives, it's only going to come down to one thing. Duh, winning...

The first thing on the agenda is to salvage a recruiting class that has no chance to be great, but still can be good. And then, despite rumors that he already has decided, McElwain has to decide who to retain and what other coaches to bring in. Memo to Coach Mac — I'd avoid Charlie Weis...

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  2 hours ago

Jim McElwain busy recruiting on offense http://es.pn/1zU50GL

QuoteBefore he could even get on the road and start recruiting face-to-face, he had ESPN 300 offensive lineman commit Tyler Jordan drive over from Jacksonville, Florida, to meet with him Sunday...

McElwain also called fellow ESPN 300 offensive line commit Mike Horton before using his first day of recruiting travel to see ESPN 300 offensive linemen Jalen Merrick, Christian Pellage (South Carolina commit) and Martez Ivey, who is the nation's No. 1 offensive lineman...

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  6 hours ago
Zach's Mail Stack 12/13 | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19692/zachs-mail-stack-1213-3/ ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteGiven the amount of time that offensive line coach Mike Summers and recruiting ace T-Rob have spent with Coach McElwain on the road, is it safe to say both are probably going to be retained? Have any candidates surfaced for the OC and DC jobs?

Early Friday night it appeared Robinson was likely to remain in Gainesville, as I reported, and McElwain told a junior college offensive lineman Summers is being retained.

I don't anticipate anything changing with Summers, but Robinson is a different story. With Will Muschamp taking the defensive coordinator position at Auburn, it could throw a wrench in the works with Robinson and UF.

As I mentioned in my post about Robinson, Auburn is his alma mater and where he started coaching. 247 reports that he's expected to join Muschamp there.

The Tigers will have to pay if they want Robinson, who currently makes $510,000 at Florida, but he's well worth it. I think UF should try to give him another raise, but sometimes loyalty is greater than money.

There's a chance that D.J. Durkin could stay on as defensive coordinator, and former Alabama offensive coordinator Doug Nussmeier is one of the leading candidates for the Florida position.

Much more on individual players...

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  2 hours ago

#Auburn, Florida in tight race for nation's top overall prospect after Muschamp's move http://ow.ly/FVSAz

QuoteThe race for Martez Ivey is a close one.

The nation's top overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite has been split between Auburn and Florida for months, and Will Muschamp's move from Gators head coach to Tigers defensive coordinator could play a big factor in his final decision.

As for now, Ivey says the schools are even.

"Fifty-fifty still," Ivey told The Orlando Sentinel after his team won the Florida Class 8A state championship Saturday. "I'm going to think about it over this break ... Christmas break. ... This is what I need, this dead period that's about to come up. That's what I need right now, so I can think and see what's right for me.

"I got a feeling right now, but I ain't willing to say. ... We'll see what happens."

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  5 hours ago

Collins' meeting with Travaris Robinson will be key for UF to keep him | http://bit.ly/1BUvucC  via @Gator_sports

QuoteThis week could go a long way in determining the future of Florida defensive backs coach Travaris Robinson.

The man known as 'T-Rob' is in his fourth year with the Gators, but reports suggest the former Auburn player is expected to follow Will Muschamp to the Tigers.

This week's meeting between new Gators defensive coordinator Geoff Collins and Robinson will likely determine his future. They haven't coached together or met before (Collins followed him on Twitter today).

Robinson will want to know all about his scheme, coaching philosophies and how the defensive staff will fill out. A big question will be whether Collins wants to hire an additional assistant to coach the secondary with Robinson, who had full responsibility of both the cornerbacks and safeties under Muschamp.

Robinson makes over $500,000 per year with Florida.

jbcarol

Sentinel Recruiting @OS_Recruiting  ·  21 hours ago

Daniel Imatorbhebhe gives #Florida #Gators 8 commits to 2015 class http://fw.to/cQ7zJnJ

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  4 hours ago
RT @cecejeferson7: What yall think about it Gator Nation?!?!!?!?! S/O to whoever made this!

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  16 minutes ago
#Gamecocks commit Quandeski Whitlow "@BoosieWhitlow: Thank God just earned a offer from Florida University! 🐊🐊🐊 #GoGators"

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  Dec 20
McElwain: "When the #Gators were on top, they had the best players in the state of Florida. That's something we've got to come back and do."

jbcarol

UF Recruiting @UFrecruiting  ·  Dec 19
Zach's Mail Stack 12/19: The dead period is now underway for Florida coach Jim McElwain, but he still had a li... http://bit.ly/1Jxhdrb

QuoteThe offensive line is getting very thin. Are Martez Ivey and Jalen Merrick absolute necessities at this point? — @UFgatorsforlife

With D.J. Humphries expected to turn pro, Ivey is an absolute must-get in my opinion.

Currently seven of the 11 big uglies for Florida's roster in 2015 are interior linemen. Getting Merrick would no doubt be huge for the Gators, but their problems in protection and depth could come at offensive tackle.

Rod Johnson and David Sharpe should do well as the starters, but behind them next season will be redshirt freshmen Kavaris Harkless and Andrew Mike, who were three-stars in high school.

Ivey is a consensus top-five overall prospect — Humphries was ranked that high by some sites but not all of them — and about as close to a can't-miss tackle as you can get...

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  13 minutes ago
#UF coach Jim McElwain eyeing in-state recruits for 2015, beyond | http://bit.ly/1CHq44V  via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteThe Gators have eight verbal commitments and scholarship room for 25 signees at this time.

McElwain wants the makeup of the class to be balanced and said the offensive line, which could return just eight players next season, is a position he's "really pounding on right now" as a priority. He visited three linemen his first weekday on the recruiting trail, including five-star offensive tackle Martez Ivey.

"The response we've received, obviously there's previously relationships that have been built with recruiters from different school with all these kids, and yet we are opening up a new opportunity.

"A new opportunity to be a Gator. There's a lot of kids that have grown up wanting to be in that orange and blue, and you know what, we're going to get back in, we're going to give them that opportunity to be a part of a great university and really, a chance to build a legacy."

That building process for McElwain will begin in UF's own backyard. One of his main recruiting objectives is taking back the state of Florida, particularly the Tampa area.

jbcarol

Robbie Andreu @RobbieAndreu  ·  Dec 23
I wonder if UF can get back in on five-start (sic) WR George Campbell. He originally committed to Michigan and Nussmeier.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  16 hours ago

Florida making run at FSU QB commit

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec

QuoteESPN 300 quarterback commit Deondre Francois is one of three Florida State quarterback commits playing in the 2015 Under Armour All-America game -- even though Kai Locksley will be in the game as a wide receiver. The logjam at quarterback has another in-state program trying to sneak in and possibly steal away a quarterback at the last minute.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  · 

Four-star WR Ryan Davis impressed by new #UF coach Jim McElwain | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19694/davis-impressed-by-mcelwain/ ... via @Gator_sports #Gators

jb11

Quote from: jbcarol on December 30, 2014, 10:06:24 am
Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  · 

Four-star WR Ryan Davis impressed by new #UF coach Jim McElwain | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19694/davis-impressed-by-mcelwain/ … via @Gator_sports #Gators

I hope that was before the dead period.

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  8 minutes ago
Former UM coach Randy Shannon slated to become #Gators LBs coach, recruiting coordinator as reported by @Brody_IAKOW: http://bit.ly/1zQFRjK

jbcarol

Derek Tyson @DerekTysonESPN  ·  Dec 31
Jeff Holland on Randy Shannon: "Oh that's my boy. We got a great relationship. That helps Florida out a lot with me." #Gators

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  23 hours ago

Ray-Ray McCloud & Adonis Thomas told me it's unlikely they'll visit UF or flip to any school & Te'Von Coney says he's enrolling early at ND.

jbcarol

ESPN SEC @ESPN_SEC  ·  3 hours ago
Coaching change could hinder Gators recruiting http://espn.go.com/blog/sec

QuoteWith the coaching change and some uncertainty about who the new assistant coaches will be, Florida has found itself in an unfamiliar position in recruiting. For the first time since ESPN began keeping the class recruiting rankings in 2006, the Gators are outside of the top 40 in the class rankings. Florida has only eight verbal commitments, but three of them are ranked in the ESPN 300...

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  4 hours ago
Travaris Robinson's departure probably cost the Gators Tim Irvin and will hurt them with Jeff Holland, who he recruited. But JH likes Shannon, Collins.

Several asking how T-Rob impacts Cowart, CeCe & Ivey. If they go elsewhere, it won't be b/c of him. Jeff Holland is main recruit he affects.

Coach Gus Malzahn @CoachGusMalzahn  ·  4 hours ago
Excited to welcome TRob back to the Auburn Family! He is an excellent coach/recruiter & will be a valuable asset to our program!

I would also like to thank Coach Melvin Smith for his hard work, professionalism and the positive example he has been for our players.

jbcarol

ICYMI: Four-star LB Jeff Holland high on new #Gators asst. Randy Shannon | http://recruiting.blogs.gatorsports.com/19841/holland-high-on-shannon/ ... via @Gator_sports

Randy Shannon: "If the players know that you love and care about them, they'll do anything for you."

jbcarol

#Gators WR commit Kalif Jackson signed with #UF today and will enroll early, joining TE Daniel Imatorbhebhe.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  17 minutes ago
OL Jalen Merrick will announce where he's enrolling early this evening. I'm not expecting UF but he's very hard to get a read on.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  47 minutes ago
OL @Jalen_Merrick has decided to enroll early at Arkansas over UF and FSU.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  3 hours ago

#UF has recruiting holes to fill on offensive side of the ball | http://bit.ly/1Ij6DCN  via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteTheir top priority is offensive line, where the Gators return just eight players — and one upperclassman — for next season and have three commits (center Tyler Jordan and guards Mike Horton and Brandon Sandifer).

"Certainly that's an area that we're going to have to address and we're going to need to have some players come in and be ready to play," offensive line coach Mike Summers said. "But wherever there are concerns there are also opportunities. There's young players that have been developing and they will have their opportunity to step forward."

Summers, the only holdover from Muschamp's staff, hopes the year-long relationships he's built with recruits helps him land more linemen, namely five-star offensive tackle Martez Ivey...

jbcarol

Gatorsports.com @Gator_sports  ·  Jan 12

UF's defensive assistants get to work with focus on recruiting http://bit.ly/1ImFNd3

Quote...On defense, co-coordinators Geoff Collins and Randy Shannon have simply one goal — maintain the status quo.

UF ranked 15th nationally in total defense in 2014 and in the top 10 for three consecutive years before that. The Gators return the talent to continue that level of production, but they must keep recruiting well to sustain it.

"The big focus right now is recruiting," Collins said. "We've got some ground to make up that we're excited about. That's the focus now, and then we'll get into the scheme and terminology and those kinds of things after signing day."

The previous staff implemented the 'Buck' position in their scheme, using NFL-bound Dante Fowler Jr. as a stand-up pass rusher. Five-star defensive ends Byron Cowart and CeCe Jefferson — Florida's top two targets on defense — would both like to play that spot in college.

"Absolutely," Collins said when asked if he would use a hybrid pass rusher. "We had two in Starkville. ... Finding that position, whether it be on this roster or somebody that we've got to bring in and then find a hybrid defensive end/outside backer, those kinds of things are huge.

"So it's about just the flexibility of what you do on defense always is personnel-based. And to be a good coach, you better understand that premise, that it's about the players and what the players can do."

jbcarol

Derek Tyson @DerekTysonESPN  ·  3 hours ago

Byron Cowart has already received a visit from Florida coaches today. #Gators

Derek Tyson @DerekTysonESPN  ·  1 hour ago

Yep, that's his job now RT "@htowngator: @DerekTysonESPN so Muschamp is basically recruiting everyone to AU that he recruited at Florida?"

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  56 minutes ago

#Gators coach Jim McElwain visited #Louisville commit @GGRobinson85 this morning. He officially visits #UF on Jan. 30.

jbcarol

John Talty @JTalty  ·  2 hours ago

Auburn commit "@Dmcgriff1: Big S/o to University of Florida for stopping by this morning!! #GoGators #UF 🐊🐊🐊"

que @aCass_334  ·  1 hour ago

@Dmcgriff1 don't let em get to u kid, do you an make whatever decisions best for you 💯 #WDEtho 🐯

D'anfernee Mcgriff @Dmcgriff1  ·  28 minutes ago

OV to Auburn this weekend. Can't wait to get around the coaches & my brothers. This feen to be a great weekend! #WarDamnEagle

"Penny" is a Tallahassee Leon ATH

jbcarol

UF Recruiting @UFrecruiting  ·  15 hours ago
Zach's Mail Stack 1/16: Ah, recruiting is alive and well again! The contact period resumed Thursday and Florid... http://bit.ly/1xzFEL7

QuoteOut of the big 3 (Byron Cowart, CeCe Jefferson and Martez Ivey), who do we land? — So much has changed with Jefferson in a month's time. Will Muschamp and Travaris Robinson went to Auburn, D.J. Durkin and Brad Lawing were not retained, he named Ole Miss his leader and he decided not to take an official visit to UF this month. I understand that he's been to Gainesville dozens of times, but passing up an opportunity to spend a whole weekend with Florida's new staff isn't exactly a good sign.

Cowart sent UF fans into panic mode Thursday, where he expressed how hard it will be for new defensive coach Terrell Williams to win him over and said he may not officially visit Florida.

Ivey is currently the one I feel most confident about Florida landing out of the three five-stars. He was set to commit to the Gators at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl but held off...

jbcarol

Derek Tyson @DerekTysonESPN  ·  Jan 16
Hearing Florida coaches met Byron Cowart's mom at Denny's yesterday at 12:01am. Then met him at the bus stop & followed him to school.

jbcarol

Zach Abolverdi @ZachAbolverdi  ·  2 hours ago

ICYMI: #UF recruiting weekend recap | http://bit.ly/1Gmh9f1  via @Gator_sports #Gators

QuoteOver the weekend, Florida coach Jim McElwain and his assistants hosted their first set of official visitors since the contact period started.

Four of the seven recruits were committed to other schools heading into their trips...

Under Armour All-American Christian Pellage, an offensive tackle committed to South Carolina, is now considering a switch to the in-state Gators.

"It was good meeting the new staff and seeing all the energy that they have," Pellage said of his Florida visit in a text message to The Sun. "After my South Carolina official (Jan. 23) I will reevaluate the 2 visits and make sure I'm making the best choice for myself."

Defensive lineman Jabari Zuniga, an N.C. State pledge, appears to be the most likely flip for Florida.

"The biggest highlight was just being on the field in The Swamp and looking around the stadium. It was crazy," Zuniga said of his visit. "Defensive coordinator Geoff Collins was one of the first people to actually recruit me. So when he got to Florida, I just felt like it was only right to take a visit there. He's a great guy, and it's just that good of a program."

The 6-foot-3, 255-pounder will take an official to Arkansas this weekend and make a final decision Monday. Zuniga said education and the position he'll play in college are his two biggest factors.

"Florida and Arkansas are recruiting me as an edge rusher," he said, "N.C. State is recruiting me as a 3-technique. But I'm an edge rusher."

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  7 hours ago

Florida's Mike Summers has in-home visit w/OL Nick Buchanan today. Will Gators offer? Probably. http://on-ajc.com/1xV81na

Former Hog OL coach is the son-in-law of Joe B. Hall.