Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andy Katz says postseason perhaps

Started by cardsNhogs, December 09, 2011, 12:21:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Making the NIT would be a successful first season for the Hogs and Mike Anderson.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 09, 2011, 12:32:46 pm
Making the NIT would be a successful first season for the Hogs and Mike Anderson.
Correct.

Danny J

Making the NIT would be huge for this young team. It gives them extra practice time and a feel for postseason play. Nobody on this team knows what that feels like. It would be a nice small step forward

alaback

Still hopeful of a better than expected season.  The Hogs will be a tough out at home, this weekend against OU and Michigan are the only real resume builders left.  Must defend the home court (7-1) and beat Auburn, UGA, and LSU on the road.  If that happens, come March we could be filling out brackets again with a purpose.

BrooklynRoss

The young talent is undeniable. I think we'll have a much better idea of where this team can go after we play Oklahoma.
I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

cardsNhogs

We will be better than Ole Miss come conference play I think. Alabama is not doing so well in not sure we won't beat them.

checkraiser88

I still don't care about the NIT. The NIT should not be a goal of any team. It means nothing! Recruits don't come here to be selected for that irrelavent tournament. Do I think this team will make the NCAA tournament? No. But, i could care less if they are selected for the NIT..

Breems

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 09, 2011, 09:36:10 pm
I still don't care about the NIT. The NIT should not be a goal of any team. It means nothing! Recruits don't come here to be selected for that irrelavent tournament. Do I think this team will make the NCAA tournament? No. But, i could care less if they are selected for the NIT..

Did you only use the top building block in Kindergarten?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

checkraiser88

Quote from: Breems on December 09, 2011, 09:47:27 pm
Did you only use the top building block in Kindergarten?

Did we not turn down an NIT invite under Heath?

The_Iceman

You don't care about our young players getting to play extra games against quality opponents?

The NIT would be the good first step in building a successful program.

checkraiser88

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 09, 2011, 10:00:55 pm
You don't care about our young players getting to play extra games against quality opponents?
The NIT would be the good first step in building a successful program.

The quality opponents are in the NCAA tournament(for the most part)

PoormansRobbyHampton

I don't think we're going to decline an NCAA bid to accept and NIT bid. If we can't make the Dance, then there's nothing wrong with the NIT in  year one with 9 players. Nothing at all.

If we're still waiting on an NIT bid in year four, it'll be time to make a change.

The_Iceman

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 09, 2011, 10:03:44 pm
The quality opponents are in the NCAA tournament(for the most part)

There are quality opponents in the NIT as well. You have to take into account where our program is. Going to the NIT is good for us this year. It should never be accepted by our fan base after this year though.

Teams in last years NIT: Alabama, Colorado, New Mexico, Miami, Saint Mary's, Boston College, Oklahoma St., Virginia Tech, Wichita St, and Dayton.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on December 09, 2011, 10:13:56 pm
If we can't make the Dance, then there's nothing wrong with the NIT in  year one with 9 players. Nothing at all.

Especially when 4 of those are true freshmen, two are sophomores with little experience, and the two seniors are Michael Sanchez and Marvell Waithe.

checkraiser88

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 09, 2011, 10:21:48 pm
Especially when 4 of those are true freshmen, two are sophomores with little experience, and the two seniors are Michael Sanchez and Marvell Waithe.

I understand what you're saying, but i don't really look at this as a building block. It's nothing like getting invited to bowl game in football, even a crappy bowl game. I don't look at the NIT as a reward of a teams play

The_Iceman

Quote from: checkraiser88 on December 09, 2011, 10:31:31 pm
I understand what you're saying, but i don't really look at this as a building block. It's nothing like getting invited to bowl game in football, even a crappy bowl game. I don't look at the NIT as a reward of a teams play

It is exactly like going to a crappy bowl game. You have to factor in that it is not the top 65 teams that go to the NCAA tournament. A lot of those are conference champions that get automatic bids. Do you not think that there are more deserving teams in the NIT? Yeah there are. But you've got a lot of 14-16 seeds that only get in because of their conference.

It should be looked at as a building block because it gives our players an experience in postseason play. It will help them for next year when they will be in the NCAA tournament. Who is more deserving, a 20 win basketball team or a 6 win football team? I think the NIT is just as good as a 6-7 UCLA team in a bowl game.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 09, 2011, 10:35:53 pm
It is exactly like going to a crappy bowl game. You have to factor in that it is not the top 65 teams that go to the NCAA tournament. A lot of those are conference champions that get automatic bids. Do you not think that there are more deserving teams in the NIT? Yeah there are. But you've got a lot of 14-16 seeds that only get in because of their conference.

It should be looked at as a building block because it gives our players an experience in postseason play. It will help them for next year when they will be in the NCAA tournament. Who is more deserving, a 20 win basketball team or a 6 win football team? I think the NIT is just as good as a 6-7 UCLA team in a bowl game.

Well said.

I don't think anybody is completely thrilled with making the Cotton Bowl this year, after making it to the BCS last year, but it's a process. Remember, in CBP's first year, we didn't even go bowling, then at the end of his second year we ended up at the Liberty Bowl in 10 degree temperatures where we won an ugly game against a non-AQ team. It wasn't the best reward for a decent season, but it toughened us up and we went into 2010 with a ton of momentum.

The Liberty Bowl is the NIT of the college football bowls. It's cold, it's in a bad part of Memphis in a dump of a stadium, against an inferior team (most of the time). But it's better than no bowl, and the NIT is better than no more games to watch after the SEC Tournament.

The_Iceman

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on December 10, 2011, 12:03:34 pm
I don't think anybody is completely thrilled with making the Cotton Bowl this year, after making it to the BCS last year, but it's a process.

The only reason we are not in the Sugar Bowl again this year is the BCS rules, not because we don't deserve to be there. I think Arkansas fans know that. Its not that this team disappointed or under performed, it is more that the system is a joke.

We were 10-2 last year with losses to Alabama and Cam Newton.
We are 10-2 this year with losses to the #1 and #2 teams in the country.

Mrcoolhog55

Iceman ;yes I agree with you.... The Hogs should be  in a BCS Bowl, and this just goes to show all of us Hog fans the BCS system only works to setup 1 vs 2 ,and that is all, and the stupid BCS rules for a conference.... It should be set on how a team performs, and their record.... We have to win the big games next year to get a lot of favorable pub from ESPN, and other national media i guess........ Go Hogs Go beat Kansas ST.........

The_Iceman

Look at what Alabama's performance last year in the NIT did for them going into this year. They were a preseason top 20 team.

So going to the NIT this year and doing well can really help this team going into next year in both personal confidence/experience and national perception.