Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New practice/student center paying off.

Started by bythelake, July 16, 2016, 06:13:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bythelake

Seems like recruiting has improved since the completion of practice facility+.  Also is Scotty making a difference. Not connected enough to know.   ???????

HOGINTENNESSEE

Our number of top 100 players that have visited over the last 2 seasons has increased by a significant amount.

Certainly isn't hurting

lefty08

Relationships take time to develop as well
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

HogBreath

Quote from: lefty08 on July 16, 2016, 09:33:39 pm
Relationships take time to develop as well
Exactly..apparently somewhere in the ballpark of 6 years or so.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ShadowHawg

I have read where it takes around 4 years or so. I know there are exceptions but that is the supposed average according to some

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on July 16, 2016, 10:15:54 pm

So.... you don't like the way recruiting is going now?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 17, 2016, 12:12:59 am
So.... you don't like the way recruiting is going now?

He hasn't enjoyed anything since 1994

nwahogfan1

Quote from: bythelake on July 16, 2016, 06:13:20 pm
Seems like recruiting has improved since the completion of practice facility+.  Also is Scotty making a difference. Not connected enough to know.   ???????

I am not sure what is the deciding factor in recruiting this year.  I think the biggest key so far is these kids are all Arkansas kids.  Also we got some luck in Memphis changing coaches.  Remember Garland was commited to Memphis until the coaching change. 

I hope Scotty is making a big difference but I just do not know because kids are not mentioning him so far as the reason they are climbing on board.  It would be nice if it is because of our facilities and changes we have made in our recruiting strategy.  I just don't know. 

swinesation

I hate to be negative, but it seems to me that Mike & staff starting feeling a little warmth in their britches and really turned it up a notch. I'm not complaining, because stepping up when the pressure is on is a good sign!

hogwood

Quote from: HogBreath on July 16, 2016, 10:15:54 pm

I guessed when Mike was hired that this would be a 6-7 year process. Seems I might end up being right. If all the haters got their way this summer than our future would once again be very bleak. Mike is obviously building something, and building takes time. Mike is dedicated and will never leave us and he will help our program tremendously.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 17, 2016, 12:07:33 pm
I am not sure what is the deciding factor in recruiting this year.  I think the biggest key so far is these kids are all Arkansas kids.  Also we got some luck in Memphis changing coaches.  Remember Garland was commited to Memphis until the coaching change. 

I hope Scotty is making a big difference but I just do not know because kids are not mentioning him so far as the reason they are climbing on board.  It would be nice if it is because of our facilities and changes we have made in our recruiting strategy.  I just don't know. 

We know you will have questions Until we get a commit from a 6-8 240lbs player

farmhawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on July 17, 2016, 03:37:24 pm
We know you will have questions Until we get a commit from a 6-8 240lbs player
He will always have issues with Mike here......he is just too weak to come out and say it.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on July 17, 2016, 12:07:33 pm

Yes, as customary, the truth lies in the middle.
Garland was committed elsewhere until Pastner left Memphis, so the recruiting critics are partially correct.
On the other hand, he still landed at UA as his final choice despite many great offers; he could have done a Kevaughn Allen and re-opened recruitment only to again spurn Arkansas. So, the glass half-full people can also praise the job the staff did in landing Mr. Garland.
It's a little of both.

FineAsSwine

Whitt left and it opened a significant opportunity for Khalil to step in and be the guy we thought Whitt would be. Glad Khalil accepted the challenge.

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 19, 2016, 01:16:40 pm
Whitt left and it opened a significant opportunity for Khalil to step in and be the guy we thought Whitt would be. Glad Khalil accepted the challenge.

Garland appears to be a lot more put together from a basketball standpoint than Whitt. Taller, stronger build, and a better ball skills.

HogBreath

Quote from: hogwood on July 17, 2016, 03:19:38 pm
I guessed when Mike was hired that this would be a 6-7 year process. Seems I might end up being right. If all the haters got their way this summer than our future would once again be very bleak. Mike is obviously building something, and building takes time. Mike is dedicated and will never leave us and he will help our program tremendously.
Major kudos on being right about it taking time.  You certainly were correct about that.  Also really glad to hear Mike is building something.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HoopS

Quote from: HogBreath on July 21, 2016, 05:32:12 pm
Major kudos on being right about it taking time.  You certainly were correct about that.  Also really glad to hear Mike is building something.
depends if we want to count the 27 win season as being something that was built. I mean to me, that counts.

Sustaining that is the key though. Hoping this team is similar to that one and then we follow that up and improve a little more.

So what some right now don't see as something being built, if we flash forward a few years, we may well look back to this that 27 win season as being the one that really started the momentum, followed by a fall when we lost too many key cogs, but then right back to that level and then sustained.

I maybe didn't word that well. Just saying that it is very well possible that when his career is over and you look back on records, year 3 may well be the one pointed to as where things started to look like we had hoped they would when we hired him.

HogBreath

Quote from: HoopS on July 21, 2016, 09:54:02 pm
depends if we want to count the 27 win season as being something that was built. I mean to me, that counts.

Sustaining that is the key though. Hoping this team is similar to that one and then we follow that up and improve a little more.

So what some right now don't see as something being built, if we flash forward a few years, we may well look back to this that 27 win season as being the one that really started the momentum, followed by a fall when we lost too many key cogs, but then right back to that level and then sustained.

I maybe didn't word that well. Just saying that it is very well possible that when his career is over and you look back on records, year 3 may well be the one pointed to as where things started to look like we had hoped they would when we hired him.
Right now the 27 win season is certainly the outlier for Coach Mike, but I do suppose it is possible that going forward, they may all become 27 win seasons or even better.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HogBreath on July 22, 2016, 04:01:31 pm
Right now the 27 win season is certainly the outlier for Coach Mike, but I do suppose it is possible that going forward, they may all become 27 win seasons or even better.

I have a persistent suspicion that you hope not.

farmhawg

Mike cleaned up a huge pile of garbage, great guy, clean program that will produce. He is not a guy you hope will fail.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

HoopS

Quote from: HogBreath on July 22, 2016, 04:01:31 pm
I didn't say that.

No sense in taking anymore time with this.

HogBreath

Quote from: HoopS on July 21, 2016, 09:54:02 pm

we may well look back to this that 27 win season as being the one that really started the momentum, followed by a fall when we lost too many key cogs, but then right back to that level and then sustained.

You sure you didn't say that?

HoopS

Quote from: HogBreath on July 23, 2016, 11:30:21 pm
You sure you didn't say that?
back to that level means having similar seasons. Not exactly the same. Nobody knows exactly how this all plays out. And I said we "we may".

HogBreath

Quote from: HoopS on July 24, 2016, 07:59:27 am
back to that level means having similar seasons. Not exactly the same. Nobody knows exactly how this all plays out. And I said we "we may".
Yeah..it'd be real hard for the seasons to be "exactly the same".  smh

HoopS

Quote from: HogBreath on July 24, 2016, 09:13:05 am
Yeah..it'd be real hard for the seasons to be "exactly the same".  smh
now you know how I feel.

HoopS

Getting back to that level is a broad term. It means similar seasons. Similarities in success as in how we competed in the SEC and OOC, the fact that we made the ncaat and advanced, being a team that may well be ranked at times in the season, and pile up a nice win total. "A nice win total" is also broad and based on various factors including ooc schedule, conference strength and then the draw we get in the tournament.

I'm sure there's something there you can nitpick at.

I could have nitpicked your use of "outlier". You see the high win total as the outlier, when others may well see the only non .500+ season as the outlier. They would probably argue that while plugging the numbers of wins on a graph, 27 wins was a continuation of the upward movement of wins. It would be a sharper angle up, to be sure, but the win total that really jumps out was the drastic drop from 27 wins to 16. A jump from 22 wins to 27 isn't huge and shouldn't be considered an outlier. A drop from 27 to 16, on the other hand, is drastic. But who cares about that.

HogBreath

July 26, 2016, 04:15:23 pm #26 Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:51:59 pm by HogBreath
Quote from: HoopS on July 24, 2016, 12:32:17 pm
Getting back to that level is a broad term. It means similar seasons. Similarities in success as in how we competed in the SEC and OOC, the fact that we made the ncaat and advanced, being a team that may well be ranked at times in the season, and pile up a nice win total. "A nice win total" is also broad and based on various factors including ooc schedule, conference strength and then the draw we get in the tournament.

I'm sure there's something there you can nitpick at.

I could have nitpicked your use of "outlier". You see the high win total as the outlier, when others may well see the only non .500+ season as the outlier. They would probably argue that while plugging the numbers of wins on a graph, 27 wins was a continuation of the upward movement of wins. It would be a sharper angle up, to be sure, but the win total that really jumps out was the drastic drop from 27 wins to 16. A jump from 22 wins to 27 isn't huge and shouldn't be considered an outlier. A drop from 27 to 16, on the other hand, is drastic. But who cares about that.
I would think for most reasonable/semi-rational human beings, the big difference between the 27 win season and CMA's other teams, is that team made the NCAA tourney....that would be the very blatantly obvious "outlier".  smh

HoopS

HogBreath

Quote from: HoopS on July 24, 2016, 12:32:17 pm
Getting back to that level is a broad term. It means similar seasons.

A drop from 27 to 16, on the other hand, is drastic. But who cares about that.

Oh, okay, see what you mean about the similar seasons, the 16-16 season was a lot like year 1 when we went 18-14, or even year 2 and the 19-13 record.  Real good call there.  Certainly years 1,2 & 5 were not outliers, heck's, that 60% of the time.

HoopS

Quote from: HogBreath on July 28, 2016, 07:31:49 pm
Oh, okay, see what you mean about the similar seasons, the 16-16 season was a lot like year 1 when we went 18-14, or even year 2 and the 19-13 record.  Real good call there.  Certainly years 1,2 & 5 were not outliers, heck's, that 60% of the time.
how weird.

You win.

HogBreath

HoopS

HogBreath

ShadowHawg

The best part of the Hogs winning will be all the negative folks start staying away instead of joining in the fun.