Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dear Jeff Long

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, January 11, 2017, 11:53:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

greenEGnHAWGS

Thank you for everything you've done for our athletics. You obviously have some unfathomably difficult decisions that will be scrutinized by thousands of rabid fans that don't have half of your pulse on the UofA athletics. They say, "Well, that's what he makes the big money for" when that does not make the decisions any easier. I'm sure the pressure to do things the wrong way in recruiting is overwhelming at times with the clamoring sounds of people with pitchforks and torches ready to remove a coach you and many still believe in (even though, he definitely needs to step up big soon...very soon).

I know the W's aren't always easy to JUST CREATE...we needed recruits, so you made plans to expand locker rooms, practice facilities, etc...but it's a process. Those things alone won't bring them in, but they are items that are still needed to entice them. These things take money...lots of money...and you've brought the income in as well to help with these expansions. So thank you.

Please hold true to your analysis of the athletics here at the UofA...even if we as the fans don't understand and still clamor against your decisions.

PS...dont read Hogville...it gets crazy at times...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

greenie

deedster84

Get ready to be bashed for speaking the truth. Going to bring out all the haters.

Potosihog

I just hope neither of these letters get sent to JL without a grammar check.

SRV

We've got entirely too many troublemakers here. Too many 40-year-old adolescents, felons, power drinkers and trustees of modern chemistry.....

a0ashle

Kevin

thanks for lowering expectations, to the point of average is the new great
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

lrcentral

Money and facilities are not magically going to generate more recruits produced in the immediate area around Fayetteville. Every school has nice stadiums, weight rooms, and athletic dorms. We are not magically going to start pulling in high level recruits because we have nice things. The Florida, Louisiana, Texas, Tennessee recruits can get all of that much closer to home. We need to stop playing crazy salaries for .500 records. Arkansas need to come to the realization that 8-4  is who we are and save the money on the so called great coaches. Bill Gates could give the athletic program 5 billion dollars and it would not produce more wins. If money solves problems why has Texas, Michigan, and Notre Dame been down for so long if it is just a simple fact of money? We need to realize who we are and adjust spending accordingly.

Poker_hog

Dear jeff long,

It's time to move on.  Maybe you could go to Alabama, they seem to be focusing on winning too much there.  You could fix that in no time.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

GrouchyOldGuy

Think Bama would want him?

Next1_04

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on January 11, 2017, 11:53:01 pm
Thank you for everything you've done for our athletics. You obviously have some unfathomably difficult decisions that will be scrutinized by thousands of rabid fans that don't have half of your pulse on the UofA athletics. They say, "Well, that's what he makes the big money for" when that does not make the decisions any easier. I'm sure the pressure to do things the wrong way in recruiting is overwhelming at times with the clamoring sounds of people with pitchforks and torches ready to remove a coach you and many still believe in (even though, he definitely needs to step up big soon...very soon).

I know the W's aren't always easy to JUST CREATE...we needed recruits, so you made plans to expand locker rooms, practice facilities, etc...but it's a process. Those things alone won't bring them in, but they are items that are still needed to entice them. These things take money...lots of money...and you've brought the income in as well to help with these expansions. So thank you.

Please hold true to your analysis of the athletics here at the UofA...even if we as the fans don't understand and still clamor against your decisions.

Why not send this direct to him instead of putting it on a message board if you really want him to know your thoughts?

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

hawg IQ

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 12, 2017, 07:20:57 am
Dear jeff long,

It's time to move on.  Maybe you could go to Alabama, they seem to be focusing on winning too much there.  You could fix that in no time.

Listen up, several things indicate J Long was never the man for Arkansas AD.  I always get killed for saying this, but he's from the NE part the US .  Doesn't know about fan bases and folks who live in the south.

Number two here in hogland its is not a business atmosphere. Razorbacks live and breathe being fans for one major team-  the "razorbacks" ! We talk about them, buy the gear, tee shirts, its part of who/what we are here.

B petrino brought it back to what we envision being hogs fans. So we fire him and now back to the old hum drum of weaker teams, no pride and losing records. Not only football, but basketball is awful left with no pride and no fans.

Maybe Petrino had to go, but that kind of excitement was "IT", that's what we want. If BB can do get it done fine, but patience is running thin.

And to the defenders of J Long, oh p-l-e-a-s-e ! just be quite for a while. hot seats and job worries are necessary before things start getting. We are all sick hearing about the high roads and such.
go hogs go !

tophawg19

DEAR JEFF LONG . you hired UAB/Mizzou's coach and allowed him to bring us down to UAB's level instead of keeping us as a once proud program. We can and must do better. You have allowed mediocrity to permeate this program in both major sports as well as Women's basketball . Our fan base no longer supports the product you are allowing to be put on the court and field . 1 Ncaa run in 6 years is not and never will be acceptable . We can and must return to the the top 25 levels where we belong . You are allowing Apathy to run the program that we all love and that is unacceptable on every level. The U of A has fallen into a Mid Major type status instead of being an Elite SEC team on both sports . Bud Walton Arena , a once feared place is now an empty shell that is rarely more than half full . we have fallen to the point of being able to return to Barnhill and not filling it but at least it would be loud . We have no home court advantage anymore . Thank you , A very concerned group of hog fans .......
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Razorbackers

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 12, 2017, 08:01:14 am
DEAR JEFF LONG . you hired UAB/Mizzou's coach and allowed him to bring us down to UAB's level instead of keeping us as a once proud program. We can and must do better. You have allowed mediocrity to permeate this program in both major sports as well as Women's basketball . Our fan base no longer supports the product you are allowing to be put on the court and field . 1 Ncaa run in 6 years is not and never will be acceptable . We can and must return to the the top 25 levels where we belong . You are allowing Apathy to run the program that we all love and that is unacceptable on every level. The U of A has fallen into a Mid Major type status instead of being an Elite SEC team on both sports . Bud Walton Arena , a once feared place is now an empty shell that is rarely more than half full . we have fallen to the point of being able to return to Barnhill and not filling it but at least it would be loud . We have no home court advantage anymore . Thank you , A very concerned group of hog fans .......

Anderson was MIZZOU'S coach, not UAB's, when we hired him. And he took UAB to the sweet sixteen and Mizzou to the Elite 8.

Also this is the football board.

Also format better pls.

Redhogs

Quote from: Kevin on January 12, 2017, 07:15:04 am
thanks for lowering expectations, to the point of average is the new great
Pretty much sums it up.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 12, 2017, 07:20:57 am
Dear jeff long,

Pure gold.

Redhogs

Quote from: GrouchyOldGuy on January 12, 2017, 07:24:17 am
Think Bama would want him?
Of course, they're looking to steal that #integrity trophy. To hell with NC's.

Kevin

did this come from the sid of athletics
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

DeltaBoy

But we still got Integrity and we been told to Smile.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

GuvHog

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 12, 2017, 08:29:48 am
Anderson was MIZZOU'S coach, not UAB's, when we hired him. And he took UAB to the sweet sixteen and Mizzou to the Elite 8.

Also this is the football board.

Also format better pls.

Both times using another coach's players. He has yet to show that he can build a successful winning program and this is his 6th year at Arkansas.

As I've said before though, I don't hold Jeff Long responsible for Mike's hiring. That however, is the only thing I don't hold him responsible for.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

code red

Your right....shame on me.  I will happily put 3 grand on my credit card again to watch 2nd half colllapses and close games vs. lower FBS level opponents.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

a0ashle

Quote from: code red on January 12, 2017, 09:44:05 am
Your right....shame on me.  I will happily put 3 grand on my credit card again to watch 2nd half colllapses and close games vs. sub FBS level opponents.

Ya'll act like Capitalism is for the little guy, it ain't. You don't want to buy tickets anymore don't, but no one is gonna show up at your door and beg you to return.

Poker_hog

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 09:46:53 am
Ya'll act like Capitalism is for the little guy, it ain't. You don't want to buy tickets anymore don't, but no one is gonna show up at your door and beg you to return.

I bet you'd get a phone call from the RF to follow up why you cancelled your donation.  They called me once asking me to move seats for a year to accommodate a long term doner.  I negotiated much better seats for the next year in return for helping them.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ricepig

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 12, 2017, 09:54:24 am
I bet you'd get a phone call from the RF to follow up why you cancelled your donation.  They called me once asking me to move seats for a year to accommodate a long term doner.  I negotiated much better seats for the next year in return for helping them.

Of course they would call, that's just good marketing, or marketing as we know it these days. Cancel anything, and see if the company doesn't ask you why you did, and what they can do to get you back.

26.2Hog

Quote from: ricepig on January 12, 2017, 09:58:27 am
Of course they would call, that's just good marketing, or marketing as we know it these days. Cancel anything, and see if the company doesn't ask you why you did, and what they can do to get you back.

I just canceled Netflix the other day.  They didn't ask why or ask for my business back.  They didn't care.  Guess I showed them, lol.

a0ashle

Quote from: Poker_hog on January 12, 2017, 09:54:24 am

Yup, someone making $8 dollars an hour to call names on list to see if they would like to come back. Cable company does the same thing, they miss and value me so much.

Here's the point I'm trying to make. Any one individual's donation or ticket sales means jack squat in the big scheme of things, so angrily touting how much you spend on a message board means less then that. If attendance drops or they can't turn a profit anymore, that they will notice. But In 2014 we had nearly 8 million in profit, and one guys 3k is nothing more than rounding error and message boards make you think there are more angry people then there really is.

3k is a lot to us fans, so if you don't want to spend it anymore, seriously and genuinely don't do it. Just don't wave it around like single share of Walmart stock at a protest and expect it to mean anything.

code red

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 09:46:53 am
Not about tickets.  It's about winning.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Athog

Ditto

Calling All Hogs

Jeff you have been an inspiration to me. I now tell all my clients not to expect much and then look great being average. My employees love me because no matter how bad they do, I give them all at least six years to prove themselves. It makes my job fun again! Doesn't really matter since I no longer have to be anything but average. Get this. When I lose I tell clients there are more important things than winning. More important things like upholding the integrity of the system. Cool huh? Imagine if I can get them all to believe this! I do have one small problem in that since I'm not the only game in town like you and the UA, I have been losing clients steadily. I guess there are always the shortsighted ones that think they are paying you to win. So I'm thinking about telling them that winning is....wait for it...a process! Sure they may lose for a few years but they are losing the right way! What do you think Jeff? Thanks for all you do!

Letsroll1200

Post of the year

GuvHog

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on January 12, 2017, 10:55:58 am
Jeff you have been an inspiration to me. I now tell all my clients not to expect much and then look great being average. My employees love me because no matter how bad they do, I give them all at least six years to prove themselves. It makes my job fun again! Doesn't really matter since I no longer have to be anything but average. Get this. When I lose I tell clients there are more important things than winning. More important things like upholding the integrity of the system. Cool huh? Imagine if I can get them all to believe this! I do have one small problem in that since I'm not the only game in town like you and the UA, I have been losing clients steadily. I guess there are always the shortsighted ones that think they are paying you to win. So I'm thinking about telling them that winning is....wait for it...a process! Sure they may lose for a few years but they are losing the right way! What do you think Jeff? Thanks for all you do!

Well done! Very well done!!

a0ashle

Quote from: code red on January 12, 2017, 10:29:06 am
Not about tickets.  It's about winning.

It's about soooo much more then that.

GuvHog

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 11:17:00 am
It's about soooo much more then that.

True but winning is a massive part of it. Without the winning, the rest is virtually meaningless. If a team isn't winning, fans start to lose interest which causes ticket sales and donations to drop.

a0ashle

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 11:27:09 am
True but winning is a massive part of it. Without the winning, the rest is virtually meaningless. If a team isn't winning, fans start to lose interest which causes ticket sales and donations to drop.

So when that actually happens, people might have an argument.

Torqued pork

Redhogs

Redhogs

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 11:31:27 am
So when that actually happens, people might have an argument.
Continue on the 7-6 path and it's coming.

a0ashle

Quote from: Redhogs on January 12, 2017, 12:17:19 pm
Continue on the 7-6 path and it's coming.

So you agree we aren't there now.

Profitable athletic department, rising APR, attendance increase the last 3 years while raising tix prices.

EastArkHog 47

As long as the Board of Trustees are happy with Jeffy he's not going anywhere and there's probably only one or two on the board that put winning above the $$.

GuvHog

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on January 12, 2017, 12:26:13 pm
As long as the Board of Trustees are happy with Jeffy he's not going anywhere and there's probably only one or two on the board that put winning above the $$.

Not all of the BOT members are happy with Jeffy. He does have majority support though.......for now.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Let's make some waves.

a0ashle

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on January 12, 2017, 12:26:13 pm

Top 25 in director's cup evaluating all sports. We lead the SEC in the Fall sports...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/Jan12DivIOverall.pdf

Razorbackers

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 12:52:06 pm
Not all of the BOT members are happy with Jeffy. He does have majority support though.......for now.

#MySourcesSay

Hogwild

Quote from: a0ashle on January 12, 2017, 01:30:06 pm
Top 25 in director's cup evaluating all sports. We lead the SEC in the Fall sports...

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/2016-17/misc_non_event/Jan12DivIOverall.pdf

While that is true, to put it into context, 64% of our total points come from the cross country teams, which powerhouse before Long step foot on campus.  I believe we've won close to a dozen national titles in cross country prior to his arrival.

Calling All Hogs

LRHawg

Locutus_of_Boar

Dear Mr. Long:

You are undoubtedly the best little department organizer since Abe Lincoln hired George B. McClellan to run the Army of the Potomac.  Not many people remember General McClellan these days.  That probably has something to do with his last job performance review:  "If you don't want to use the army, I should like to borrow it for a while. Yours respectfully, A. Lincoln."

Sincerely,
One of many Arkansas Razorback fans still waiting patiently for facilities and coaching hires to translate into banner hanging performance.

nchogg

Remember sports now is all about the money. You pay to watch unless on abc, cbs or nbc and then blacked out on those networks. That's the sad part of sports. Cost of living has gone up and few companies have kept up with it but Arkansas sports keep getting more money each year and without fans there would be no sports.

ATU HOG

Jeff has done a great job marketing and selling the brand of the Arkansas Razorbacks.  He's done a phenomenal job of it actually.  From the upgrades to the campus, facilities, and apparel he's taken us to another level when it comes to those things.  Is it him, or is it the day and age we live in?  Who knows... but I'll give him the credit.  I do think it was part of the success we had in 2010-11 that allowed those things to happen though.

To me, the Razorback brand might be better and worth a pretty penny, but I don't see the passion for winning from the upper level management.  It's more of a business now.  I'm not saying that it's a bad thing, because it's not... but people are starting to see it for what it is.  A marketing agenda with average results.  It's kind of like what someone said in another thread "lipstick on a pig."  We are selling a product and making it sound a lot better than what it is.

One of the biggest struggles we have has been the hiring of successful coaches.  Some of the coaches we have hired may have had some success at a prior institution but they struggle getting it done here.

Football - Petrino, John L, and CBB
Petrino took us to levels we haven't seen in a very long time, only to be derailed.  John L... no need to explain that.  Now CBB, he's brought some optimism and stability to the program, at least that's what we've been told, but the results on the field have been nothing more than average.  Off the field we have "integrity" and our grades are better.  In my opinion, it looks pretty hypocritical of the university to shove integrity down everyone's throat and then the events that transpired at the Belk Bowl say otherwise.  CBB has a chance to right the ship on the field.  He comes from winning background.  It's time to show up

Basketball - Anderson
Anderson loves the hogs, and it's frustrating watching his teams not play to potential.  Fans are getting frustrated (are frustrated) of seeing the same mistakes week in and week out.  Average.  The biggest frustration is that this team currently is talented and the SEC is down.  There is no excuse for not making the tournament.  Recruiting has picked up as of late, but we've swung and missed on some big in state recruits over the years.

Soccer- Hale
Hale has done great things for the soccer program at the university.  He's 39-36-9 at the university and has the the single best season record for the hogs.  Hale had a great turnaround in his first year at the university.  Before he got there the season before they won 4 games.  His first year they won 9.  They are competing nationally.

Volleyball- Pulliza, Watson
One of Long's first hires at the university was Pulliza.  He resigned after a letter sent him packing from parents saying he was verbally abusive.  Watson is now the coach and came from Arizona St. where he had some success.

Swimming - Schimmel, Harper
Schimmel came from LSU and replaced Poppel when he stepped down.  The hogs finished 9th/12th last year, one of the lowest finishes in recent years for swimming.  Replacing Schimmel was Harper who was a previous coach at Florida St as well as UNLV.

Track and Field - Bucknam took over the Track/Field and Cross Country for the Mens team in 2008.  He spent 25 years at Northern Iowa and we can all agree that this is the most successful program on campus at the university.

Softball - Larabee, Deibel
Larabee went 149-181 at the University of Arkansas.  He was hired in 2009 I believe.  Replacing him is Courtney Deifel has coached 1 year the Division 1 level and that was at Maryland where she lead them to a 16 game improvement in her year there.  Bogle Park is a very nice facility and hopefully she'll come here and have some great success.

Women's Basketball - Dykes
Dykes was a bit of a shock to just about everyone when he was hired.  He is in his third year of coaching at the university. 

Tennis - Jackson
This past year they had a season best 7-5 record in SEC play.  Seems to be doing well.

Just thought I'd share some of this.  I knew some of it, and some of it I had to research a bit.  Some descriptions were a little more detailed than others, sorry about that.  I know that most people only care about the big 3 sports, as they are the most talked about/entertaining but I figured I would shed some light on some of the other sports as well.