Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battle of Midway, 7 furlong race at Saratoga on Travers day

Started by HogFanInBryant, June 24, 2017, 07:31:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogFanInBryant

If they don't run this horse in that race (can't remember the name of it but it's a grade 1 for 3 year olds) they need their heads examined!  He ran today and it was a joke of a race but he looked so solid and has put on a ton of weight...he's surely got some big things ahead of him!

heavylifting

You're referring to what was previously called the King's Bishop. The race has been renamed this year as the H. Allen Jerkens, which is appropriate seeing as how he trained King's Bishop.

Don't see why Hollendorfer wouldn't consider it. He had two good experiences with Songbird there last year and I imagine she might return again this year. The one factor that might work against such a scenario is that the Breeders Cup is at Del Mar this year. Sometimes people like to see how a horse takes to a particular surface in planning the horse's campaign. Perhaps there is something in late July at Del Mar for Battle of Midway, which would give him a month until the Jerkens at Saratoga.

On the other hand, Hollendorfer might just send the horse to Saratoga and forget Del Mar. Will be interesting to see.

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: heavylifting on June 25, 2017, 08:16:21 pm
You're referring to what was previously called the King's Bishop. The race has been renamed this year as the H. Allen Jerkens, which is appropriate seeing as how he trained King's Bishop.

Don't see why Hollendorfer wouldn't consider it. He had two good experiences with Songbird there last year and I imagine she might return again this year. The one factor that might work against such a scenario is that the Breeders Cup is at Del Mar this year. Sometimes people like to see how a horse takes to a particular surface in planning the horse's campaign. Perhaps there is something in late July at Del Mar for Battle of Midway, which would give him a month until the Jerkens at Saratoga.

On the other hand, Hollendorfer might just send the horse to Saratoga and forget Del Mar. Will be interesting to see.

I'm ready to see BOM run in a grade 1 at a mile or less.  I really think this horse has the potential to be a monster and I'd like to have a shot at him with good odds...I am a BOM believer!
But I totally get that it's a long way to ship from CA when they can stay home at Del Mar...

kingoftherapids

good time to be hollendorfer, he has 3 really good 3 year old colts and 2 of the best fillies in the world.

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: kingoftherapids on June 27, 2017, 08:52:43 am
good time to be hollendorfer, he has 3 really good 3 year old colts and 2 of the best fillies in the world.

You ain't kidding, he is loaded with talent in the barn for sure!  It's gonna be a fun road to the BC to see where he spots these monsters he's got!

ghostzapper

That was a pretty weak field he beat and the Beyer was not impressive.  Not saying he won't develop, but he's got a ways to go before I think he stands with the bigger boys. 

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: ghostzapper on July 03, 2017, 08:30:54 pm
That was a pretty weak field he beat and the Beyer was not impressive.  Not saying he won't develop, but he's got a ways to go before I think he stands with the bigger boys. 

He was on cruise control the entire race...never above 75% so I can't think the Beyer would be impressive at all.  Just a gut feeling but I think he is growing into a monster...we'll see!

HogFanInBryant

Why in the H E double hockey sticks are they running BOM in the freaking Haskell?  Say it isn't so?!?!  Am I the only one who thinks he is not going to excel at anything past a mile?

kingoftherapids

he negative split going a mile and sixteenth in his only start since the kentucky derby. he won that race easily and finished a really good 3rd in the kentucky derby at a mile and a quarter. before the KD he finished second by a half length out of 13 in the affirmed. his sire, smart strike was 2 for 2 at monmouth going a mile or more. even his dam was a grade 1 winner at a mile and a sixteenth.  he screams distance to me.

HogFanInBryant

Quote from: kingoftherapids on July 17, 2017, 04:12:02 am
he negative split going a mile and sixteenth in his only start since the kentucky derby. he won that race easily and finished a really good 3rd in the kentucky derby at a mile and a quarter. before the KD he finished second by a half length out of 13 in the affirmed. his sire, smart strike was 2 for 2 at monmouth going a mile or more. even his dam was a grade 1 winner at a mile and a sixteenth.  he screams distance to me.

His breeding may say he wants to go long but his body language and stride says (just my opinion) that he will excel at a shorter distance.  I think if he was going to do something at over a mile he would have already done it.  His 3rd in the KD to me was brilliant because I don't think he wants to go that long...plus it just emphasizes to me how average the competition was.

HogFanInBryant

No way he ever had a chance going the distance in the Haskell!  Run this horse in a Grade 1 at 1 Mile or 7F PLEASE!

heavylifting

In case it escaped your attention, Battle of Midway won the Shared Belief at Del Mar on Saturday. A nongraded stakes race on the main track at ONE MILE!

The time wasn't special, but he brought a clear lead into the stretch and won by 6 as the co-third choice. He wasn't even second choice in this. Paid $8.40 to win. Prat was on him again.

Beat a small, but decent field that included Gormley (another Triple Crown refugee), Klimt (which ran second last time to West Coast (who's he?) in the Los Al Derby) and Gato Del Oro, an up and comer making his first stakes start.

Gato Del Oro (the favorite) finished second, Klimt was third and Gormley fourth.

So, what do you think? Breeders' Cup Dirt Mile for BOM?

ghostzapper

He would get buried.  He needs to pick and choose spots like he got yesterday. 

heavylifting

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll throw this nugget out there for anyone who wants to gnaw on it.

Battle of Midway pressed fractions of 22.2 and 45.4, may have hit the quarter pole in front at 1:10.2, got 7f in 1:22.3, won in 1:35.4.

Cupid won the Brubaker at Del Mar three days earlier, also running a mile on the same track in similar style. Pressed a 22.2, 45.4 pace, was still chasing at the quarter pole, which the leader got in 1:10.3, took the lead by the eighth pole, in which he got 7f in 1:23.1 and won the race in 1:36.2.

Obviously, there may have been variations in the track over the course of three days, not to mention other variables, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

Again, not touting Battle of Midway, but just thought I'd prolong this discussion for anyone who cares to bite.

By the way, does anybody know what the deal is with Cupid? Does he have some sort of problem that Baffert is carefully managing? He disappears over the winter, shows up to win a Grade 1 on Memorial Day weekend, then goes on vacation again, only to show up in a nongraded stakes at Del Mar. Any sense of a long-range plan for this horse?

userpick

Quote from: heavylifting on August 28, 2017, 01:15:49 pm
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I'll throw this nugget out there for anyone who wants to gnaw on it.

Battle of Midway pressed fractions of 22.2 and 45.4, may have hit the quarter pole in front at 1:10.2, got 7f in 1:22.3, won in 1:35.4.

Cupid won the Brubaker at Del Mar three days earlier, also running a mile on the same track in similar style. Pressed a 22.2, 45.4 pace, was still chasing at the quarter pole, which the leader got in 1:10.3, took the lead by the eighth pole, in which he got 7f in 1:23.1 and won the race in 1:36.2.

Obviously, there may have been variations in the track over the course of three days, not to mention other variables, but I just thought I'd throw this out there.

Again, not touting Battle of Midway, but just thought I'd prolong this discussion for anyone who cares to bite.

By the way, does anybody know what the deal is with Cupid? Does he have some sort of problem that Baffert is carefully managing? He disappears over the winter, shows up to win a Grade 1 on Memorial Day weekend, then goes on vacation again, only to show up in a nongraded stakes at Del Mar. Any sense of a long-range plan for this horse?

If you see the name Bob Baffert on the program beside the horse's name, the horse has multiple problems. Luckily for Cupid, he hasn't broke down or died "mysteriously" under Bafferts care. That being said, this rigorous program is why Baffert is the greatest dirt trainer ever.

HogFanInBryant

I can't prove it until he runs in a grade 1 at a mile or less...but my gut tells me BOM can be very scary if allowed to shorten up...he is super talented!