Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In-State recruits that go out-of-state

Started by redleg, August 26, 2015, 04:15:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OLDHOG

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on August 27, 2015, 10:30:39 am
Agree. I will never understand the view that an 18-year old kid leaving his home state is such an abomination. Just because you as a fan are loyal to the Razorbacks exclusively, an 18-year old with 20+ scholarships to play football anywhere in the country now has options. Where is it stated that you MUST stay in state and play? As you noted Russ, the double standard is pretty incredible. We want the 5* kids from TX and LA (of course we do) but what about people in Lufkin or Shreveport throwing temper tantrums because those kids didn't stay in state?
Maybe this will help you better understand. Arkansas has very few blue chip players, according to the gurus, and Texass and Louisiana have so many, if you lose one, big deal, you just go to the next. Right or wrong we look at it as being betrayed. JMHO.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: redleg on August 26, 2015, 04:15:16 pm
:razorback:
I am simply wanting everyone's take on this subject. I have noticed over the last few years, that the Hogs have not faired too well when recruiting the top 1-3 in-state football players. It seems like, especially the #1 ranked Arkansas product, most of them go elsewhere, and when they do, we either never hear from them again (i.e. Zac Brooks), or after some short-term success things fall apart for them (i.e. Michael Dyer and Altee Tenpenny). I wonder...do players bother to look at things like that, or do they just brush it off as inconsequential, and that it "won't happen to me"?
Off the top of my head, the only players that went out of state and had success for their entire stint at another major university football program are Lee Ziemba at Auburn, and that O-Lineman from Stuttgart that went to LSU. Every else just seemed to disappear and made no above average contributions to their respective teams, or they got into trouble.
I'll be very curious to see what happens with KJ Hill at Ohio St, and very curious to see where McTelvin Agim goes.
I will also be curious to see when the Hogs finally start getting the top 1 or 2 in-state players on a consistent basis. If memory serves, Arkansas has only signed the states #1 recruit twice in the last seven or eight years (Darius Winston and Bijhon Jackson).
Thoughts?
:razorback:
Sorry but with the way things (and he) turned out I'm not sure Lee Ziemba would be classified as having been "all that". All-in-all in his case I honestly can't say we actually hurt all that much by losing him....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Blumpkin on August 27, 2015, 09:13:11 am
Fun fact; his mother and step-father now live in Columbus Ohio.
Interesting coincidence that. Then again, I'm sure they just want to continue to babysit their little boy while in Columbus. That's so sweet........

redeye

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on August 30, 2015, 08:49:24 pm
Sorry but with the way things (and he) turned out I'm not sure Lee Ziemba would be classified as having been "all that". All-in-all in his case I honestly can't say we actually hurt all that much by losing him....

Ziemba was 100% Auburn all along.  We never even had a shot at him and I'm not sure we even recruited him.  IIRC, both his parents went to Auburn and I think he even lived in Auburn, AL for a while.

reddogjcss

I wish them no harm and hope they do okay. If Ark kid goes to Ark he has an entire state trying to help him succeed in every aspect of life. That's why they should attend Ark. Out of state they only want u for football and not concerned with u succeeding in life.
One Player goes out of state one player plays for Ark, who do u hire? Who gets the promotion? Who does Razorback foundation help?

dhornjr1

Quote from: tusksincolorado on August 27, 2015, 09:10:12 am
Wonder if he ran out of his sponsored "FROSH Money", and that's why he lent his gun to his Stooge so he could rob a mobile home drug house?

Just a random thought.

Possibly. Or maybe they just couldn't wait for their bagman to deliver their monthly bundles. If those guys were really broke, you can be assured it wasn't for Auburn boosters lack of trying.

870hogfan

Quote from: Russ22 on August 27, 2015, 11:45:46 am
ricepig, you have me pegged. However, I don't freak out when a Texas kid goes to Arkansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana (or anywhere else).  I don't think that is too much ask from a fanbase.

However, I truly feel sorry for anyone that chooses Baylor. That's a bad life decision.

Slightly off-topic, I do think Agim picks the Ags. The rumors that I have seen indicate his mom is planning to relocate to the DFW area after he graduates. Although it is only closer to College Station by a little, I think it is much easier to get to CS than Fayetteville from there. Either way, I hope he has a fine career at either Arkansas or A&M. I really hope he doesn't pick Ole Miss or Baylor.

It's okay to be delusional sometimes but no Agim will be an Hog...

razorbacker3

A close friend of mine was heavily recruited by LSU,TA&M, and Arkansas. He had great recruiting visits to the schools except Arkansas. He went to aTm, was all-swc, played 11 years in the NFL. and life after football was tough for him. Why you might ask? Because when you are a Hog, you are a hog for life and you have plenty of contacts to help with life after football. When you go to other schools, when you leave, that's it. So long, thanks, have a good life. That's why Arkansas boys should go to Arkansas. Of course none of us had a clue about such things.
Kids are a lot sharper about these things nowdays and should be able to see those things . Just my opinion.

RME

Quote from: OLDHOG on August 28, 2015, 03:20:51 pm
Maybe this will help you better understand. Arkansas has very few blue chip players, according to the gurus, and Texass and Louisiana have so many, if you lose one, big deal, you just go to the next. Right or wrong we look at it as being betrayed. JMHO.

Betrayed by an 18-year old kid? That's a huge word. Betrayed HOW? Because he has something that he owes to the University of Arkansas?