Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

recruiting Wide Receivers to Arkansas .

Started by tophawg19, August 23, 2015, 06:55:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

One thing to think about when ranking WR's . We aren't searching for the same guys as the spread teams are . Ours must block well and be physical to block for the run . they also must be bigger to take on both Lb's and safeties . we may take a few smaller , faster guys but don't be surprised at the big boys getting signed
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

redeye

Excellent point!

I actually think we're picky at all positions, because our coaches know exactly what they want.  In contrast, recruiting gooroos rank receivers by how much talent or potential they have, but our coaches may not have interest in the #1 receiver, if he doesn't fit their needs.  I get the feeling that Ole Miss just tries to find the best athletes it can find, but that's no good if they don't fit the Ole Miss offense and defense.

Ā 

hawgXi

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 23, 2015, 06:55:29 pm
One thing to think about when ranking WR's . We aren't searching for the same guys as the spread teams are . Ours must block well and be physical to block for the run . they also must be bigger to take on both Lb's and safeties . we may take a few smaller , faster guys but don't be surprised at the big boys getting signed

Yes. Glad you pointed this trend out

tophawg19

Texas is the perfect example of grabbing highest rated player no matter the fit . Compare our classes to theirs in ranking and there was no way we stay on the field with them . Compare fit and you get 31 - 7

bennyl08

Player (notes) ht/weight when recruited (and now)

Hartfield (possibly a corner) 5'11 185
Duwop (Recruited honestly to play safety but willing to give a chance at QB and then he refused to leave offense) 6'2 190 (207)
Drew Morgan 6' 182 (195)
Kevin Richardson (walkon, now a scholly corner) 6' 158 (175)
Marty Murad (walkon, now gone) 5'9 185 (?)
Kendrick Payne (walkon, now gone) 6' 173 (?)
Anthony Antwine (walkon, now a TE) 6'4 215 (230)

JoJo Robinson 5'11" 183 (190)
Kendrick Edwards 6'5 205 (212)
Cornelius 5'11" 175 (202)
Hollister 6'4 205 (208)

Reed 6'4 185 (180)
Pettway 6'2 200 (205)
Stewart 5'11 185 (165)

Guys recruited to play WR: 4/14 at 200+ (1 a walkon now TE) 6/14 over 6' tall (1 a walkon now TE, one a guy not recruited to play WR)

First, I admit, I never registered how big Pettway is. However, I wouldn't really say we go out of our way to get bigger guys, at least not how I think of big WR's, though we do shy away from the smaller guys that are <5'10.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

tophawg19

If you look at the ones we are after most are a bit bigger than average and muscled up. you still need the guys who can fly but even they must be blockers as well as WR's . i don't see our staff taking a WR who doesn't really want to block.

OneTuskOverTheLineā„¢

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 23, 2015, 07:52:07 pm
Texas is the perfect example of grabbing highest rated player no matter the fit . Compare our classes to theirs in ranking and there was no way we stay on the field with them . Compare fit and you get 31 - 7

No... Te as is just Texas and they will have a highly rated class whether they sign any players or not... I once so them ranked #2 in the football rankings with two baseball players and a basketball cleat...

Stars don't mean squat. Coaching is what counts...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

scruf

2016 guys to potentially add to that list:

Jordan Jones, listed between 6'1"-6'3" (ESPN, Scout)
Kofi Boateng, listed between 6'0.5"-6'3" (ESPN, recent Scout article)

Hoggish1

Quote from: redeye on August 23, 2015, 07:16:45 pm
Excellent point!

I actually think we're picky at all positions, because our coaches know exactly what they want.  In contrast, recruiting gooroos rank receivers by how much talent or potential they have, but our coaches may not have interest in the #1 receiver, if he doesn't fit their needs.  I get the feeling that Ole Miss just tries to find the best athletes it can find, but that's no good if they don't fit the Ole Miss offense and defense.

The Gooroos do that with every position.  That's why, when you have a plan and a system you recruit for, you don't give a dam what the Gooroos think...

tophawg19

we need players that fit the system. i don't care if they have 5 stars , if they are soft and won't block then they don't fit . we want scrappers who don't mind mixing it up with Db's