Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pic of the new guys....

Started by jwhite_13, June 17, 2012, 06:04:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhite_13

I know it is only a picture but I have a couple of takeaways from this that I think are valuable.

1. If Coty Clarke (Far Right) and Jacorrey Williams are 6'7 and 6'8 respectively, then there is no doubt that Michael Qualls (Far Left) hit a legitamate growth spurt. He looks at least 6'7 and stout.

2. Dee Wagner is stout. If I remember correcly many on hogville were worried how he would hold up in the SEC being small. The kid looks quite built and I think will be able to handle thing well.

3. Anthalon Bell has no mohawk...no real point to be made here other than all good things come in 3's right?

HawgAdvocate

Here's a little better pic of Qualls, Bell, Wagner, and Williams.

"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jwhite_13

If nothing else they look physically ready to play. J Williams will have to add some pounds but not too much as no one really expects him to be a back to the basket bang away type of guy anyway. The more I see of Qualls, the more I like, this guy already the physical look of a SEC senior. Where did you find that pic?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jwhite_13 on June 17, 2012, 06:23:52 pm
If nothing else they look physically ready to play. J Williams will have to add some pounds but not too much as no one really expects him to be a back to the basket bang away type of guy anyway. The more I see of Qualls, the more I like, this guy already the physical look of a SEC senior. Where did you find that pic?

Twitter.

Williams will definitely need to add weight. Even though he's not a back to the basket player, he's going to play the 4 for us enough that he's got to be able to effectively block out and keep opposing bigs from abusing him on D.

Qualls looks the part, but we know they all need to improve in various ways.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jwhite_13

No doubt they will all have their weaknesses but just the overall athletic ability of this class has me excited. If Powell can stay healthy I really feel like we are in store for something special.

I don't know why I am so stuck on Qualls but he is still who I am most excited about all around. Who's game would you compare him with of recent memory?

HawgAdvocate

June 17, 2012, 06:36:03 pm #5 Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 06:38:20 pm by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: jwhite_13 on June 17, 2012, 06:29:30 pm
No doubt they will all have their weaknesses but just the overall athletic ability of this class has me excited. If Powell can stay healthy I really feel like we are in store for something special.

I don't know why I am so stuck on Qualls but he is still who I am most excited about all around. Who's game would you compare him with of recent memory?

I haven't seen him play in person, so I can't sit here and compare him with any accuracy. But he sounds like another Glenn Bryant-type thus far.

jwhite_13

Watching the videos posted on here I'd say thats a decent comparison, I think he has much more skill and aggression than Bryant though. I said this in another thread but he plays like the opposition just shot his dog. He looks pissed at all times...its great

WMHawgfan

Can't tell on the guy to the far right but the others look like they know where the weight room is.

Hawg4life33

I think Qualls has a better skill set than Bryant. Bryant's entire highlight tapes were alley-oops and huge blocks.  He was a run jump athlete that couldn't dribble and did not have much of a jump shot. Qualls has pretty good form on his jumpshot and showed he could create a little bit. He reminds me a lot of a very raw Sonny Weems. Long arms, ridiculous athleticism, decent jump shot. I think Qualls is a ways away from that since Weems developed a very good midrange game but Qualls has loads of potential. 

jwhite_13

Quote from: Hawg4life33 on June 17, 2012, 06:49:54 pm
I think Qualls has a better skill set than Bryant. Bryant's entire highlight tapes were alley-oops and huge blocks.  He was a run jump athlete that couldn't dribble and did not have much of a jump shot. Qualls has pretty good form on his jumpshot and showed he could create a little bit. He reminds me a lot of a very raw Sonny Weems. Long arms, ridiculous athleticism, decent jump shot. I think Qualls is a ways away from that since Weems developed a very good midrange game but Qualls has loads of potential. 

I had not thought of this but that is probably a pretty good comparison. I think he is less skilled than Weems but has the potential to be much more physical.

So many of our players are kind of wild cards it seems. We don't have much good film on any of them or well known sources scouting report. with that said I am still stoked about them and I am looking for big things this year!

choppedporkextrasauce

thanks for the pics guys,

this approaching season has so much excitement and potential.

TRUHOG718

Cool Pics. Wagner looks like he's built pretty solid. I expect more from him than most. I dont care where he's rated being the best player in a whole state with multiple championships means something. The first true point guard we've had in a long time.  I hope he proves me right.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

jwhite_13

I also watched the video of Mike talking to the Razorback club and Tulsa and he sounded really excited about Wagner. Talked about him more than any other. He said he was a winner and he was gonna do a lot of things that the crowd was gonna LOVE in BWA!

ArkansasI

Qualls's highlights remind me a little of William Mills.  Great looking athlete...  I hope that he is able to continue to grow his game.  He has a LeBron-type body.

Obviously, I am not saying that Qualls is either of these players.

UNCLE BACK

Physically, these guys look much more Sec ready than the group who came in last year. I hope that means they contribute sooner than later...  Qualls looks like he is ready to climb up and dunk on somebodys head!!!

Danny J

Qualls and wagner look like seniors, their bodies at least, right now. Bell is pretty stout as well.

beasley

Thanks for the pictures. They all look good.
Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 17, 2012, 06:36:03 pm
I haven't seen him play in person, so I can't sit here and compare him with any accuracy. But he sounds like another Glenn Bryant-type thus far.

Bryant couldn't dribble the ball and couldn't shoot from anywhere. That's not a nice thing to say about Qualls.
[CENSORED]!

UNCLE BACK

Is it me, or does Coty Clarke look about 6 foot 5 in this picture?

RazorAg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 17, 2012, 06:36:03 pm

When Qualls first committed, I compared him to Bryant, even though I thought at the time that he was probably slightly more skilled.  Since then, it does appear (from film and reports) that he has developed his skill game substantially and probably will come in a notch above Bryant in the skill department.

From an impact and style standpoint, though, I do think we will see Qualls in a Bryant-type role.  Energy, rebounding, blocking shots, put-backs, spectacular dunks, great in the open court, good in the press.  I don't expect a lot from the perimeter in year-one.  If he keeps on developing, we may get a great prototypical wing player, but until then, he will need to develop his ball skills.

Expect JaCorey Williams more on the wing than Qualls.

RazorAg

Quote from: pridgehog on June 18, 2012, 07:22:14 am

I would not be surprised if that was the case.

HawgAdvocate

June 18, 2012, 08:09:26 am #21 Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 08:24:53 am by HawgAdvocate
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 18, 2012, 06:14:52 am
Bryant couldn't dribble the ball and couldn't shoot from anywhere. That's not a nice thing to say about Qualls.

Apparently I'm not the only one to make that comparison. He's certainly getting bigger, and reports are that he's been doing drills with the other post players, so we can project that he won't get a whole lot of time on the perimeter early on.

poloprince

He should be closer to 6'6 than 6'7.
$PoLoPrInCe$

jry04

He is standing next to Bell, and Bell is 6'3". Clarke clearly is not standing up straight, and he still looks about 3 inches taller.

SWD26

Quote from: RazorAg on June 18, 2012, 07:34:18 am
I would not be surprised if that was the case.

Have you seen Clarke in person? I understand that you attend a lot of games and I'm wondering if he is somewhat undersized for P/F. I agree, looking at the picture he looks shorter than 6'7" but it's hard to tell sometimes by a picture.

thebignasty

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on June 18, 2012, 06:14:52 am
My favorite Glenn Bryant memory is when he got fooled by a fake shot clock countdown by the fans, and managed to bang home an unnecessary desperation 3.  He was the most stunned dude there.

RazorAg

Quote from: SWD26 on June 18, 2012, 10:43:29 am
Have you seen Clarke in person? I understand that you attend a lot of games and I'm wondering if he is somewhat undersized for P/F. I agree, looking at the picture he looks shorter than 6'7" but it's hard to tell sometimes by a picture.

No, not yet.  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 6'5 than 6'7.

That doesn't bother me, though.  You have to expect that possibility when you're going off of reported heights in recruiting.

Breems

The absence of Bell's hair is quite a disturbance.  It's rather disappointing to lose a faithful servant from the last of the mohawkins. 
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

SWD26

Quote from: RazorAg on June 18, 2012, 11:08:14 am
No, not yet.  All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if he's closer to 6'5 than 6'7.

That doesn't bother me, though.  You have to expect that possibility when you're going off of reported heights in recruiting.

Thanks RazorAg, Yeah, Charles Barkley probably wasn't over 6'5" and we all know what he accomplished in his career. 

The Boar War

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 18, 2012, 08:09:26 am
Apparently I'm not the only one to make that comparison. He's certainly getting bigger, and reports are that he's been doing drills with the other post players, so we can project that he won't get a whole lot of time on the perimeter early on.

Probably more of a move based on necessity rather than his actual shooting and ball handling abilities.

azhog10

I've been told Qualls came in, in much better shape than any of the coaches had ever hoped. He's getting looks both at the 3 and 4 and from what I'm being told will see most of his minutes when we are playing a 4 around 1 set which means he will be a slasher/wing on offense with the ability to post up.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The Boar War on June 18, 2012, 12:17:40 pm
Probably more of a move based on necessity rather than his actual shooting and ball handling abilities.

Probably/maybe/could be....while his ball-handling has reportedly improved, who knows if its at the desired level yet.

The Boar War

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 18, 2012, 02:26:25 pm
Probably/maybe/could be....while his ball-handling has reportedly improved, who knows if its at the desired level yet.

I would bet that no one outside of the staff would know either way.

UNCLE BACK

It is all about how guys fit into a System... I am looking forward to seeing these guys in a Hog Uniform. I can not remember the last time I was this excited about our Basketball program. I heard today that Mike is very pleased with the attitude and effort that the new guys are giving him. I hope that they all push eachother and bring out the best in our team.

Granny

Quote from: jwhite_13 on June 17, 2012, 06:29:30 pm

Who's game would you compare him with of recent memory?

How bout Ali Thompson coming out of HS?

chiti66

June 18, 2012, 05:56:54 pm #35 Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:36:42 am by chiti66
I think Qualls is more like Weems, than Bryant.  But they "look" like the kind of freshmen that we need. 

BTW, is it August yet? 

UNCLE BACK

Dang, I wish Razorvision would travel overseas with the hoop hogs this summer! Id love to see these fellas in action.

nwahogfan1

Physically, these guys look much more Sec ready than the group who came in last year. I hope that means they contribute sooner than later...  Qualls looks like he is ready to climb up and dunk on somebodys head!!!

I totally agree.  I figured Williams would look like Madden but he is already thicker.  I hope these guys battle the upperclassment for playing time.  Makes everyone better.

UNCLE BACK

Has anyone seen the team scrimmage yet this summer? I know they have been but Ive not heard anything about whats going on. I hope they are pushing each other to work hard and get better.  If anyone has seen or heard about it, please post about it...

Danny J

Quote from: pridgehog on June 24, 2012, 06:58:44 pm
Has anyone seen the team scrimmage yet this summer? I know they have been but Ive not heard anything about whats going on. I hope they are pushing each other to work hard and get better.  If anyone has seen or heard about it, please post about it...

Mick Hogger

Looking more forward to this season than any in a long, long time. Thanks for the pics :razorback:
Quote from: forrest city joe on Today at 10:06:10 am
ok i get you. but do you have to post it over and over and over and over? and for the 100th time. Mike is going to be coach here no matter if you like it or not.