Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Looks like Cubs are going to win the "World C-ries"

Started by WizardofhOgZ, November 02, 2016, 08:44:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

Just wanted to post that...surprised no one else called it that...with both teams using the big, red "C" as their iconic logo...

ricepig

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Cub fans I know won't have any sort of "identity" anymore, they are so used to losing, sometimes in the weirdest ways, even when they are good.  Kind of like Boston fans a few years ago - but it will be worse bc so many Cub "fans" are outside of Illinois bc of WGN and just the fad of being a Cub fan - I wonder if they will lose a bunch of those fans tied up in the "woe is me" identity....

published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: ricepig on November 02, 2016, 08:46:00 pm
Who are the Cobs, corn farmers?

Posted using a *** phone, with GD predictive . . .

Boy, are you johnnie on the spot . . . takes me two minutes to edit the correction, and somebody has already made a smart-ass comment.  Welcome to the *** internet . . .

ricepig

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on November 02, 2016, 08:50:23 pm
Posted using a *** phone, with GD predictive . . .

Boy, are you johnnie on the spot . . . takes me two minutes to edit the correction, and somebody has already made a smart-ass comment.  Welcome to the *** internet . . .

Sounds like an excuse.....I've read HV the last 10 days, those aren't allowed.

Quote from: ricepig on November 02, 2016, 09:03:42 pm
Sounds like an excuse.....I've read HV the last 10 days, those aren't allowed.

What is up with MMQB these days?

I understand joking/slamming a post, but 90% of the insults are personal.

I know I've had my moments over the years, but it's almost every post.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

3 runs is nothing fighting that curse...although it would be stronger if they were at Wrigley - but stranger things have happened. IF the Cubs win...what are they going to do? Their whole identity is in the "woe is me", and so many aren't from/don't live in Illinois. I haven't been in a couple of years, but I used to go to a Cards/Cubs series every year. I'm going to start that up again, but it's going to be interesting how they act. It was so entertaining watching them, bc something weird at some point would always happen - and they'd lose. Then after the game they'd be all smiles, like "yep" another Cubs' game

razorbacker3

Großer Kriegschwein

Bawhahahahahahahaha

Bartman can't be blamed for this one.

Epic 8th inning meltdown. On to the 9th.

0-0. One inning for the series.
This is my non-signature signature.

I called it before the extra base hit.  They were laying the bat on those 100 mph pitches - at that speed, all you gotta do is make solid contact.  And then there's there curse....

AirWarren

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 02, 2016, 10:20:38 pm
I called it before the extra base hit.  They were laying the bat on those 100 mph pitches - at that speed, all you gotta do is make solid contact.  And then there's there curse....

His pitch placement was garbage. Seems scared of throwing balls. A pitch that fast, out over the plate, is like winning the lottery. Choke up a little and get the fat of the bat on it, make him do the work.

AirWarren

What a stupid call on that Baez bunt. Are you kidding me??

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AP85 on November 02, 2016, 10:43:31 pm
What a stupid call on that Baez bunt. Are you kidding me??

Cubs garbage. Trying to be perfect, all he had to do was get it in play.

AirWarren

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 02, 2016, 10:46:24 pm
Cubs garbage. Trying to be perfect, all he had to do was get it in play.

Let me preface this by saying. I hate baseball.

But that was the most ignorant call I've ever seen.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: AP85 on November 02, 2016, 10:51:41 pm
Let me preface this by saying. I hate baseball.

But that was the most ignorant call I've ever seen.

I played for a long long time.

It was like the Razorback running game, call was solid, very poor execution.

Albert Einswine

Joe Maddon is the goat. Even if the Cubbies pull this out, his moves were garbage tonight. Pulled Hendricks while he was in command. Lester allowed 2 runs. But once he settled down and got in the flow he yanked him to insert a spent Chapman.

If the Cubs lose, it's not on the team, it's on the manager.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Großer Kriegschwein

Cubs aren't as deep as the Indians. The longer it goes, the more this goes to in Cleveland's direction.

AirWarren

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on November 02, 2016, 10:54:21 pm
I played for a long long time.

It was like the Razorback running game, call was solid, very poor execution.

I believe you.

Every heartbreaking call can relate to razorback football. Haha

Großer Kriegschwein

AirWarren

Just finish them cubs. I can say I saw a miraculous championship at a 100 years. Probably won't see the hogs win it ever!

Albert Einswine

CUBS WIN!!!!! Overcame the Indians and their own manager!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 02, 2016, 11:54:45 pm
CUBS WIN!!!!! Overcame the Indians and their own manager!

I just liked hearing the collective butt puckering when the Indians tied it up coming from Chicago. WGN ruined my childhood by canceling Scooby Doo and playing the horrible Cubs a couple times a week.

Grew up an Atlanta and Boston fan as a child. Being a pitcher from little league-high school-legion, the Maddux-Glavine-Smoltz trio was amazing for me.

Wow.  Now I look forward even MORE to Cards/Cubs season series, no more excuses.  But I won't go on.  Congratz to the hardcore Cubbies, of which I know a few, but the bandwagonner Cub fans can suck it.

I feel sorry, though for anyone that lives East, North or a bit South of St. Louis - better hunker down...

Albert Einswine

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 03, 2016, 12:26:36 am
Wow.  Now I look forward even MORE to Cards/Cubs season series, no more excuses.  But I won't go on.  Congratz to the hardcore Cubbies, of which I know a few, but the bandwagonner Cub fans can suck it.

I feel sorry, though for anyone that lives East, North or a bit South of St. Louis - better hunker down...

I've only been a Cubs fan since '89, and only because the girl I was dating was a huge fan. I'm not even a huge baseball fan, my fandom goes in order, 1. Razorback football and college football, 2. Patriots football and the NFL, 3. Cubs and MLB, but only really follow in the years when the Cubbies are playing well.

So many of those years I didn't feel like the Tribune ownership really cared anything about winning, only mining the loyal fan base for revenue. But the new ownership, the Ricketts family, have shown a real commitment to winning and that makes it a lot easier to maintain interest for a guy like me who never really cared anything about baseball until I dated, married, and raised a family with a beautiful woman who is a diehard fan.

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2016, 12:45:53 am
I've only been a Cubs fan since '89, and only because the girl I was dating was a huge fan. I'm not even a huge baseball fan, my fandom goes in order, 1. Razorback football and college football, 2. Patriots football and the NFL, 3. Cubs and MLB, but only really follow in the years when the Cubbies are playing well.

So many of those years I didn't feel like the Tribune ownership really cared anything about winning, only mining the loyal fan base for revenue. But the new ownership, the Ricketts family, have shown a real commitment to winning and that makes it a lot easier to maintain interest for a guy like me who never really cared anything about baseball until I met, dated, married and raised a family with a beautiful woman who is a diehard fan.

Gotta feel good for them.  Your family will never forget where you were tonight.  Congratz.

Now to the Indians...The "Curse of getting beat by the Cubs"?

The_Bionic_Pig

Man I'm so sleepy.... 4:30 AM (est) for work!!😞
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya on November 02, 2016, 08:49:58 pm
Cub fans I know won't have any sort of "identity" anymore, they are so used to losing, sometimes in the weirdest ways, even when they are good.  Kind of like Boston fans a few years ago - but it will be worse bc so many Cub "fans" are outside of Illinois bc of WGN and just the fad of being a Cub fan - I wonder if they will lose a bunch of those fans tied up in the "woe is me" identity....

See, I think opposite. I think they will totally buy into the arrogant winning fan base mentality and will be more insufferable than Cardinals fans. I guess they deserve some goating, though... I mean gloating.

Also, I feel like more people will jump on the bandwagon. Just like if the Hogs football team went on a NC run, people would jump on the ship and all the "woe is me" fans would be the loudest supporters lol.

ricepig

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 03, 2016, 08:35:35 am
See, I think opposite. I think they will totally buy into the arrogant winning fan base mentality and will be more insufferable than Cardinals fans. I guess they deserve some goating, though... I mean gloating.

Also, I feel like more people will jump on the bandwagon. Just like if the Hogs football team went on a NC run, people would jump on the ship and all the "woe is me" fans would be the loudest supporters lol.

My oldest just took a job in Chicago, he went up about a month ago, found a place and bought a Cubs jersey, haha, and this is from a lifelong Cardinal family. I text him last night on how the new job was, he was out in Wrigleyville watching the game and partying, I called him a bandwagon fan, haha.

5HOG5

Great long deserved World Series win for the Cubs!! If Harry Carry was alive yesterday he would have went crazy! "Cubs Win it all! Cubs Win it all! Holllllly Cowwww"! LOL! After all the decades of Cubs broadcasting and the team coming up short this would have been his biggest acheievement!

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on November 03, 2016, 08:35:35 am

Well, Cubs fans(except for a small minority) have always been annoying, rude, crude, no class - especially when they play the Cards in St. Louis.  Their basis for that was knowing they were going to lose, but not really understanding why.  For years, I went to at least one Cards/Cubs series, and they just walked around with a chip on their shoulder, angry even before the game started.  Now, I can just look at them and say, "Aw, you finally got one.  That's great(and under my breath say, "How cute.")."  When they don't win another one in the next 3-5 years, reality will start to set in, and now what do they have?  No curse, no more championships and no reason to cheer or complain - and they are baseball-dumb(again, not all).  Not necessarily their fault, but they've had Hall-of-Fame type players, yet haven't learned anything over the years....except the last couple of years, where they copied the Cards' approach - and the stars lined up, and let's face it:  They HAD to win at some point, almost by default.  The Cards fans are baseball smart, and we have a system that sustains long-term winning.  When they start to wake up and realize that, they might be less annoying - but that will take years - and they'll be less entertaining to mess with, unfortunately.  I know us Cards fans probably seem annoying, but it's a different kind of annoying. 

I see your point about Razorback Fans...and somewhat agree that might happen.  However, I think Hog fans are too nice and optimistic, which is part of Arkansas culture - we are the nicest people in the country, IMO - especially to visitors or transplants.  They go into every game and every season, smiling and always expect the best.  We never seem to learn, but I think there's a lot of class in that.  But most, at least have a decent understanding of Football and Basketball. Hog fans are class acts and definitely keep it that way during a game.  I'll take that any day as opposed to most(again, not all) Cub fans who just have been watching dumb baseball all their lives(and parents' and their parents' lives), they just get hammered and scream and yell stuff that makes zero sense, boo their own team, go in to every game(hell, every inning) expecting to lose, and always blame it on "luck" or "the curse".  There were some Cub fans still upset and cussing out their manager on FB, when they HAD THE LEAD last night - they KNEW they would lose.  Seriously, what other fan base has actually had a FAN like Bartman, LOSE a Pennant for them? LOL  Unbelievable. 

You may be right about more bandwagon Cub fans, but it won't last.

Quote from: ricepig on November 03, 2016, 10:18:36 am
My oldest just took a job in Chicago, he went up about a month ago, found a place and bought a Cubs jersey, haha, and this is from a lifelong Cardinal family. I text him last night on how the new job was, he was out in Wrigleyville watching the game and partying, I called him a bandwagon fan, haha.

Well:  1.  He probably knows a little bit about good baseball.  2.  He actually LIVES there.  Nothing wrong with that.
Sounds to me like the Cubs added a fan that is NOT like most I mentioned.  Good for him.  But keep messing with him with the bandwagon stuff, lol.