Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

has anyone thought that BP. may be selective decommitting some of these kids .

Started by tophawg19, January 21, 2008, 10:06:24 am

Previous topic - Next topic

tophawg19

if he has better choices available to fit his system he may be pushing some out of the nest. letting ole miss 'steal' them looks better in publicity than coaches take back scholarships . that hurt us several years ago with warren.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Razorvet

I agree this has happened three times since he arrived. All three out of state three star recruits. Im sure you know who I mean. But the Eperson switch is puzzling.

Oklahawg

Epperson could have been told that his scholie was available until a certain date on the calendar. Commit by then or the Hogs move on. He wanted to keep UA as an option so he commited. Moved on when he was sure he had found a school he felt more comfortable with.

Texas is notorious for doing this. Its a high-pressure way of locking down your recruiting class. Texas also says that scholie offers are revoked if players visit elsewhere.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 21, 2008, 10:06:24 am
if he has better choices available to fit his system he may be pushing some out of the nest. letting ole miss 'steal' them looks better in publicity than coaches take back scholarships . that hurt us several years ago with warren.

Ding, Ding, Ding...Right on.  This is what I've been trying to say too.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

arklahoman36

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 21, 2008, 10:33:36 am
Ding, Ding, Ding...Right on.  This is what I've been trying to say too.

When I said this about the Devin Thomas situation, just about everyone (not you) freaked out when I suggested Petrino could possibly be doing anything to encourage a kid to decommit after he said he said he would honor all scholarships.

Nashville Fan

I've thought that since the RB in FL & the DB from TX decommited, especially considering their comments. People seem to know exactly where they stand with Petrino. The difference I see in recruiting is that recruits are considering AR that never would have. That is putting a squeeze on AR to honor the scholarship promise that Petrino made. We will have one year of this. Then I bet it won't happen as often.
Pittman or Bust!

want2be

I agree with his motive on some of these guys

What are we going to say if Dean and Adams don't commit ?

I am also interested in his back up plan for DT's

Tomhog™

This will definitely be a tumultuous year.  With the ex-coach going to a rival SEC school, it gives kids a chance to commit to the previous staff and stay in conference.  it's not fun to watch kids commit/decommit faster than Lindsay Lohan in rehab. 

This year more than ever (and not just Arkansas), the word 'committment' has be totally redefined.

arklahoman36

Quote from: Nashville Fan on January 21, 2008, 10:43:22 am
I've thought that since the RBs in FL & the DB from TX decommited, especially considering their comments. People seem to know exactly where they stand with Petrino. The difference I see in recruiting is that recruits are considering AR that never would have. That is putting a squeeze on AR to honor the scholarship promise that Petrino made. We will have one year of this. Then I bet it won't happen as often.

Who are the recruits considering Arkansas that never would have before? I just ask because I've seen several people say this.

beansandtaters

Quote from: arklahoman36 on January 21, 2008, 10:48:10 am
Who are the recruits considering Arkansas that never would have before? I just ask because I've seen several people say this.

I'm assuming he's talking about the recruits that had no interest in AR with the previous staff. I.E. Joe Adams, Ryan Mallett, Aaron Boyd, J'Marcus Webb, Aundre Dean, etc.

Tomhog™

Quote from: arklahoman36 on January 21, 2008, 10:48:10 am

There are quite a few.  Aundre Dean, Clem Johnson, Odom, Webb, Tyler Wilson, Dennis Johnson (don't think he'd have come under Nutt), Ryan Mallett, Josh Hill, PJ Smith, Dareus bros, Cam Henderson, Mike Balogun,.  There are many more I'm sure, that was off the top of my head.

beansandtaters

Quote from: gnick4 on January 21, 2008, 11:19:14 am
We just have to remember how much time Petrino has had to recruit since he was hired. This class will in absolutely no way be indicative of his recruiting ability. We just have to get throught it as good as possible and see what happens next year. I like most of what I've heard so far and am pumped about our new coaching staff. WPS!

You guys are getting ahead of yourselves. This class MAY bne indicative of his recruiting ability. On signing day we could realistically ink a 4 star WR/CB (Adams), a 4 star DE (Henderson), a 4 star RB (Dean), a 4 star OT (Webb), etc. to add to what we already have. That would make this a great class and I don't think that happening is out of the realm of possibilities.

want2be

The staff has done a great job at getting players in the mix

The cupboard was not left empty and he has already got some commits
who can step up and play next year

Everyone seems to want another stud back, a couple of stoppers on the D-line and secondary quality. (and Joe Adams)

MF

I don't think that Nutt is "stealing" recruits.  The ones that are decommiting are out of state kids who came to Arkansas, for the most part, because they bought the "ol' car salesman's" pitch many months ago.  I'm sure he has told them repeatedly how they will fit into his scheme and since they have watched him, especially the last few years, they can see themselves filling certain roles. 

With Nutt they know what they are getting (so they think).  With Petrino, they have gotten one maybe two phones calls and that's about it.  So their role in Petrino's scheme is a question mark. 

And frankly, aside from Dmac, Felix, and MJ which were coming to Arkansas Nutt or not, I'm not too concerned about losing someone that Nutt thought was good.  He doesn't have a very good track record.
"Public sentiment is everything. With public sentiment, nothing can fail; without it nothing can succeed." ~ Abraham Lincoln

Hawgballz

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 21, 2008, 11:09:23 am
There are quite a few.  Aundre Dean, Clem Johnson, Odom, Webb, Tyler Wilson, Dennis Johnson (don't think he'd have come under Nutt), Ryan Mallett, Josh Hill, PJ Smith, Dareus bros, Cam Henderson, Mike Balogun,.  There are many more I'm sure, that was off the top of my head.

Just to clear the list up a little:

Dean, C Johnson, Webb, Wilson, Hill and the Dareus brothers were all new because of Petrino.  Balogun could also be added to this list, but he never really gave us a look.  This is a great list of talent to be able to get in on so late.

Odom, Smith & Henderson (nearly committed to us over Auburn to begin with) have been being recruited since way back in the summer.

Dennis Johnson would have already committed to us but he was being slowplayed because of off-field issues.

Ryan Mallett was going to be a hog this time around no matter who the coach was.
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

COCHISE

Quote from: Hawgballz on January 21, 2008, 11:56:51 am
Just to clear the list up a little:

Dean, C Johnson, Webb, Wilson, Hill and the Dareus brothers were all new because of Petrino.  Balogun could also be added to this list, but he never really gave us a look.  This is a great list of talent to be able to get in on so late.

Odom, Smith & Henderson (nearly committed to us over Auburn to begin with) have been being recruited since way back in the summer.

Dennis Johnson would have already committed to us but he was being slowplayed because of off-field issues.

Ryan Mallett was going to be a hog this time around no matter who the coach was.

I agree with every part except for Mallett coming to Arkansas no matter who the coach was.  I don't believe there was a chance of us getting Mallett with Nutt still here.  As determined as his family was for him to play in a pro-style offense and get him ready for the NFL, I don't believe there any way he plays for Nutt, likely UT, UCLA, or TAMU.

Hawgballz

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 21, 2008, 12:03:17 pm
I agree with every part except for Mallett coming to Arkansas no matter who the coach was.  I don't believe there was a chance of us getting Mallett with Nutt still here.  As determined as his family was for him to play in a pro-style offense and get him ready for the NFL, I don't believe there any way he plays for Nutt, likely UT, UCLA, or TAMU.

Inside info, his father still was not thrilled with his choice, but decided to let Ryan have his way this time.

COCHISE

Quote from: Hawgballz on January 21, 2008, 12:07:29 pm
Inside info, his father still was not thrilled with his choice, but decided to let Ryan have his way this time.
But would his father have still let him have his way if Nutt was still at Arkansas?  Especially considering the whole Mustain ordeal. To be honest with you, if I were Jim Mallet, I don't let my son play for Nutt, especially if he's wanting to get into the league. Or for that matter would Ryan have still wanted to be a Razorback if Nutt was still here?  I believe you and hope your right, that would mean that Mallett really, really, really wanted to be a hog.

JudgeHogg

Mark my words: Within 5 years, Petrino will be selecting players not recruiting. Once you are perenially in the top 5, you have to beat them off with a stick.
JudgeHogg

beansandtaters

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 21, 2008, 12:27:09 pm
My insider said quite the opposite about this.  No way he was coming with Nutt still here.

Don't worry Tomhog. We all know Hawgballz makes up info and posts it as insider.

arklahoman36

Quote from: HogNutt99 on January 21, 2008, 12:21:39 pm
Mark my words: Within 5 years, Petrino will be selecting players not recruiting. Once you are perenially in the top 5, you have to beat them off with a stick.

Actually once you reached the mountaintop you have to work equally hard or harder, because the competition for the players you want is even more intense.

Hawgballz

Quote from: 870 RZR on January 21, 2008, 12:11:22 pm
But would his father have still let him have his way if Nutt was still at Arkansas?  Especially considering the whole Mustain ordeal. To be honest with you, if I were Jim Mallet, I don't let my son play for Nutt, especially if he's wanting to get into the league. Or for that matter would Ryan have still wanted to be a Razorback if Nutt was still here?  I believe you and hope your right, that would mean that Mallett really, really, really wanted to be a hog.

Ryan would have still wanted to be here, he had a good relationship with Nutt.  However his father would have been much more upset had Nutt still been here.  I guess I am just glad that we don't ever have to know for sure, but I know Jim has been resigned to the fact that Ryan was coming back to Arkansas for a while now.

Hawgballz

Quote from: beansandtaters on January 21, 2008, 12:29:28 pm
Don't worry Tomhog. We all know Hawgballz makes up info and posts it as insider.

I hope you are joking, because if not I would like for you to site an example.

Hawgballz

Quote from: Tomhog™ on January 21, 2008, 12:27:09 pm
My insider said quite the opposite about this.  No way he was coming with Nutt still here.

Your source must have been talking to dad.   ;)

beansandtaters

Quote from: Hawgballz on January 21, 2008, 12:42:13 pm
I hope you are joking, because if not I would like for you to site an example.

I was man...should have hit the sarcasm button.

hawgwash

No inside source, but it seems unlikely Mallett would leave Michigan because of the scheme, but transfer to Arkansas which under Nutt had a scheme equally ill suited to showcase his talents and prepare him for the NFL.

Boarcephus

Quote from: hawgwash on January 21, 2008, 01:17:46 pm
No inside source, but it seems unlikely Mallett would leave Michigan because of the scheme, but transfer to Arkansas which under Nutt had a scheme equally ill suited to showcase his talents and prepare him for the NFL.

Exactly.  Mallett has made it clear he has pro ambitions and wants to play in a system that will prepare him for the pros.   Michigan sending 4 out of their last 5 qb's (or something like that) played into his decision.  If Nutt were here he'd be heading to Tennessee or UCLA or wherever his coach at Michigan winds up.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

86jacketstchamps

Quote from: Hawgballz on January 21, 2008, 12:40:56 pm
Ryan would have still wanted to be here, he had a good relationship with Nutt.  However his father would have been much more upset had Nutt still been here.  I guess I am just glad that we don't ever have to know for sure, but I know Jim has been resigned to the fact that Ryan was coming back to Arkansas for a while now.

That's funny right there..... While looking back over past articles involving Ryan...Not one thing seems to support your statements. 

Why would Mallet have wanted to play for Nutt, when offensive strategy and schemes played a major role in his decision to leave Michigan and his destination?  I look forward to that explanation, especially when you look at all the QB's that Nutt has helped into the NFL.